GB HOMEPAGE

buy adventure games

Posted By: robert gray

buy adventure games - 12/03/12 09:04 PM

hi, with the demise of INTERACT, my source of adventure games is gone. i used to buy all my discs from Dave of Interact. i am not really into in digital downloads. they maybe cheaper and serve a good purpose but not for me. i like to play over and over again at my leisure. any ideas for a source of games suitable for game enthusiasts? robert.
Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

Re: buy adventure games - 12/03/12 09:25 PM

I'm afraid there aren't many choices. Amazon, ebay (reputable dealers only), Gamestop. I am unfamilar with Canadian stores, but Walmart, Target and Best Buy are some sources here in the US.
Posted By: oldmariner

Re: buy adventure games - 12/04/12 02:23 AM

Other than GOG I cannot think of any. Yes GOG is a download but burning the game to a disc offers a drm free resource that performs as well as an original disc game and better. The problem is they are mostly old games but of late newer games are surfacing there.

Once the choice becomes download only and available disc have the draconian restrictions employed by frogwares in their latest SH release I will stop buying games entirely and find something else to do.
Posted By: venus

Re: buy adventure games - 12/05/12 03:37 AM

Quote:
Once the choice becomes download only and available disc have the draconian restrictions employed by frogwares in their latest SH release I will stop buying games entirely and find something else to do.

That's exactly why I didn't purchase The Testament of Sherlock Holmes. Which is a shame, as I'd really wanted to play it. There was a similar issue with Captain Morgane and the Golden Turtle. I really hope one or both of these games are eventually available through GOG. It's the only way I would purchase either.
Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

Re: buy adventure games - 12/05/12 04:07 AM

Please remember that DRM discussions belong in the tech - glitches forum. thanks
Posted By: venus

Re: buy adventure games - 12/05/12 04:23 AM

Sorry, Ana. Didn't know DRM qualified as a glitch, but I can get behind that. lol12 (Only joking, of course. Sorry, didn't mean to derail the thread. smile12)

Back on topic, it is a shame about Interact. I guess E-bay is the best option now if the game is not available at Amazon in one's country. frown12 I am very glad to see that Haunted, at least, is available as a disk version from Viva Media.
Posted By: sureshot

Re: buy adventure games - 12/05/12 02:45 PM

Actually - I've been using Gamers Gate, Big Fish Games, and the Adventure Shop ( BF, and AS links are on GB's site) . Gamers Gate seems to have huge a huge inventory and the prices are pretty good - I also like the way Big Fish handles downloads and playing their games via their Game Manager.

I've downloaded games and installed them on my main PC and again on my second PC my wife uses from all of these sources. thumbsup12
Posted By: BubbaJake

Re: buy adventure games - 12/05/12 04:25 PM

I'm like Robert Gray in wanting the discs and the ability to load and unload whenever I want. I like GOG, but I've been having problems with getting Overseer to even download from them and getting no help at all. Actually, they never really gave me any help, I just messed around with two other games I had problems with and finally got them to play. Gamers at the site told me how to burn the discs with the XP I had, and my new PC has the ability to do it for me. When their games perform properly they are the best. I'm really sad that Interact is gone.
Posted By: Carrie

Re: buy adventure games - 12/05/12 06:33 PM

My game-buying has plummeted over the past few years, now that downloads are becoming the norm.

Dave still has a few games left. I'd get my hands on them while he's still around. Even with the DRM thing, I picked up the DVD of "Last Testament of SH" at Interact! (from Dave's dwindling list here).

Another place to find games on disks would be the GB Trading Post.
Posted By: LeBelleRachael

Re: buy adventure games - 12/10/12 06:41 AM

Well as we all know, Buying hard copies of games from local stores is all but gone(although I did see "Gray Matter" offered at Wall Mart for 20 bucks!)

You can still get them from Ebay or Amazon etc. and this works well! (Just bought "Immortals of Terra" on Ebay for $1.45 plus shipping!!!!)

But Downloading seems to be the future. As we all know in the world of computers there is constant change! These are my favorite sites to download from, The prices are good, they always run specials, and they are usually in a more up to date format and seem to run better on more contemporary systems. Some of my older discs wont run on my newer setup (3+ years old). idea

The adventureshop link on top of forum
http://www.gog.com/en/frontpage/
http://www.gamersgate.com/
http://www.dotemu.com/en

Also Steam is a good site, its a pain to get set up, and you have to be hooked up on the internet to play the game, but their selection is enormous and prices and ancillary services good! tomato
Posted By: CountZero

Re: buy adventure games - 12/11/12 04:37 AM

I kind of quit buying discs. It seems the last 3 or 4 games I purchased on discs, either I had a real hard time loading them onto my computer or I could not get them to run. I have never had this problem with downloaded games....
© 2024 GameBoomers Community