GB HOMEPAGE

Steam

Posted By: Mary

Steam - 07/16/13 09:52 PM

I've never bought a game from Steam, and don't know if there are reasons NOT to buy from them.
They have Dear Esther at a really good price.
Posted By: kjos

Re: Steam - 07/16/13 10:20 PM

I've bought quite a few games from steam and never had any trouble.
Richard
Posted By: oldman

Re: Steam - 07/16/13 10:36 PM

I too, was hesitant to start buying from Steam but I had a couple of games on disk that required Steam and had no problems and now I have about a dozen games in my Steam library and I have no problems. I still prefer downloading from DRM free sites like GOG, but you take it where you can get it if you really want it. (wow so profound) snicker crazy
Posted By: Mad

Re: Steam - 07/16/13 11:36 PM

What I don't like about Steam is that you have to log in with them to play your games.

I could understand it with games bought through them (especially downloads) because I buy downloads from BigFish and they have a similar requirement.

But I recently bought the disk version of Skyrim from Amazon - where there was no mention of needing a Steam connection. So I got quite a shock when I came to play it and found I could only do so via Steam !! rolleyes

[Having said that, I haven't actually encountered any problems so far.]

Posted By: traveler

Re: Steam - 07/16/13 11:48 PM

"I recently bought the disk version of Skyrim from Amazon - where there was no mention of needing a Steam connection. So I got quite a shock when I came to play it and found I could only do so via Steam !!"

Trying to corner the world of gaming an inch at a time, are they?
That's what's known as a stealth manuever and it seriously bothers me.
I foresee the day when I'll be playing only games I can buy at a DRM-free site like GOG and if they don't have it, I'll do without.
Even a copy of Grim that runs perfectly without any need to download a patch or a launcher.

Gil.
On the battlements
Posted By: lanlynk

Re: Steam - 07/17/13 12:15 AM

Originally Posted By: Mad
What I don't like about Steam is that you have to log in with them to play your games.

There is an Offline Mode for Steam. Once you set up your game, apparently you don't have to be online to play. I've never tried this myself, but I've read that some people prefer to play their games offline.

"Offline Mode allows you to play games through Steam without reconnecting to the Steam Network every time you wish to play - this is particularly useful if you do not plan on playing over the internet and would prefer not to download new updates for your single-player games.

Please note that you must connect to the Steam Network and test each of the games you would like to use in Offline Mode at least once to set up your account and configure Offline Mode on your machine."

Steam Offline Mode
Posted By: oldman

Re: Steam - 07/17/13 01:12 AM

Everyone knows of all the down sides to being required to connect to an internet connection to play a game however, there are up sides. The most obvious is updating your game. When you are connected to steam your game is automatically updated with any patches or DLC's that you are authorized to have plus it is much easier to purchase any additions or DLC's you might want.

So there is the good, the bad, and the ugly.

It all depends on your preferences as to whether the good outweighs the bad.
Posted By: Draclvr

Re: Steam - 07/17/13 01:12 AM

I always use offline mode.
Posted By: Karsten

Re: Steam - 07/17/13 01:24 AM

While we're talking about Steam, you can get Deponia (the first one) for 4.99 Euros at Steam untill MOnday the 22nd of July smile

I, too, have never had any troubles with games from Steam.
Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

Re: Steam - 07/17/13 02:30 AM

Originally Posted By: Karsten
While we're talking about Steam, you can get Deponia (the first one) for 4.99 Euros at Steam untill MOnday the 22nd of July smile

I, too, have never had any troubles with games from Steam.

There is a Daedalic bundle here too!
Posted By: Butcher

Re: Steam - 07/17/13 04:00 AM

Relatively new to Steam (after Nov 2012) and never had any problems with it. It keeps my games up to date and the Steam Cloud helps with progress and settings and so on. More and more companies are releasing their own download managers (Origin, Uplay) trying to copy what steam has done and has been very successful.

I always try to buy a boxed version of the game even if it has Steam/Origin required due to the fact that I won't have to download everything again each time I want to install the game. I just install through the disc and just download the remaining data which is usually not that much.

Unfortunately (in my opinion), digital content is becoming even more common and many companies release exclusive collector's editions only as digital downloads in order to promote their managers.
Posted By: lanlynk

Re: Steam - 07/17/13 05:25 AM

Originally Posted By: Butcher
More and more companies are releasing their own download managers (Origin, Uplay) trying to copy what steam has done and has been very successful.

Even Big Fish has a Game Manager for their casual games. There's a way to work around that, but if you start a Big Fish game with the default shortcut, the manager will open with all its latest advertisements. It does check for game updates too. The Sims also has a launcher.

Another big enticement to be online while in-game is the "achievements" you can earn during your game play. Players love those shiny badges! grin

Re: Steam - 07/17/13 07:37 AM

I didn't know Steam had an "off-line" facility. I might try that at some stage, then.
So thanks for that info smile

[Of course, the total of everything I know about Steam anyway would fit on the back of a postage stamp !! I'm a mere Steam Newbie lol]
Posted By: mcc

Re: Steam - 07/17/13 11:34 PM

I had no problem with playing or buying games from them.

I am normally always connected to internet, then I do not know about this type of requirement, but sometimes the connection falls down for a reason and I don't remember that I had to stop playing because being offline.

Re: Steam - 07/18/13 10:04 AM

In the few weeks since I registered with Steam there have already been two occasions when a connection was "not available" and I couldn't play my game.

I had to reboot my computer (both times) before a log-in was possible frown
Posted By: oldmariner

Re: Steam - 07/19/13 12:30 AM

In the few weeks since I registered with Steam there have already been two occasions when a connection was "not available" and I couldn't play my game.

I had to reboot my computer (both times) before a log-in was possible frown

I come from a place and time where the customer is always right. If someone wants to present a game for me to purchase the conditions are, here is my money, the game is mine.

I will play it and install it when and where I want without grovelling for your permission or become dependent upon your website to activate, install or play----ever.

You don't like those terms then sell to somebody else. You need me the customer, I don't need you.

It is a simple concept and I'm a suscriber.

Re: Steam - 07/19/13 02:43 AM

"I will play it and install it when and where I want without grovelling for your permission or become dependent upon your website to activate, install or play----ever."

Lol! I'll move over and make room for you on the battlements, oldmariner.

Gil.
Posted By: Uncle Reg

Re: Steam - 07/19/13 05:53 AM

Make room for me too, traveler. I'm with you and oldmariner 100%.

Re: Steam - 07/19/13 04:47 PM

Yes. I hear what you are saying grin

However, I do only have the one "Steam" game, AND, as I said, there was no mention of Steam when I bought that.

[And I hope not to get caught that way again rolleyes]

However, sites like Steam are certainly on the increase and if, eventually, they do become the only way to play, I will just have to use them as I don't intend to give up the pleasure my computer games provide whistle
Posted By: Rushes

Re: Steam - 07/19/13 05:34 PM

However, sites like Steam are certainly on the increase and if, eventually, they do become the only way to play, I will just have to use them as I don't intend to give up the pleasure my computer games provide

And therein lies the conundrum, for those (great many) of us who prefer boxed games as opposed to the download-only varietal. We can stick it out, in the hope that developers will eventually roll back and return to producing boxed versions. Or we can accept the trend, and those conditions and download. Refusing to accept the conditions means missing out on a number of great games. Developers might not necessarily understand/appreciate that the consumer still wants boxed copies. They interpret the reduced sales as general disinterest in the adventure genre. They switch to Casual or Action. And so it goes. Gah. I prefer boxed copies too. But it's double-edged, as technology develops. And it will continue to develop -- look at the rise in popularity of eBooks, and the dramatic slump in sales of CDs/DVDs.

Re: Steam - 07/19/13 06:15 PM

But the choice is not between downloaded games and boxed.
It is between ownership and a form of rental.
Downloaded games do not have to have the "gotcha" of a game manager.
They don't have to have hoops to jump through if you want to play them.
Developers do not have to market their games through a company that sells you games with "conditions".

Maybe it's generational but I do not understand anyone who doesn't care if they're sold something but don't really own what they buy and find gimmicks like Achievements valid compensation for not having total ownership of what they paid good money for.
And I certainly don't understand people not being furious when a boxed game comes with limiting "conditions", especially if you're not informed of it upfront.

As for automatic updates, GOG updates my games and informs me there are updated versions when I bounce by the website.
I go to the excruciating trouble of downloading them myself, knowing they are still DRM free and I don't have to be ask anyone's permission to play them.
I can live without a box though they're nice.
I am not about to pay for something and then, as oldmariner says, have to ask permission to use it.

Where's that icon? Aha. steamed

Gil.

Re: Steam - 07/19/13 06:26 PM

Yes, I think it is generational. The younger set don't seem to think twice about this sort of thing. They've grown up with it, they're used to it. Us olduns tag along, complaining and foaming at the udders. lol

Re: Steam - 07/19/13 06:38 PM

"Uncle" Reg might take offense at that last comment, Rushes. rotfl

Gil.

Re: Steam - 07/19/13 06:43 PM

I'd lay odds that he has a set of metaphysical udders tucked away in case of emergencies. yes

Re: Steam - 07/19/13 06:52 PM

Originally Posted By: Rushes
And therein lies the conundrum, for those (great many) of us who prefer boxed games as opposed to the download-only varietal. We can stick it out, in the hope that developers will eventually roll back and return to producing boxed versions. Or we can accept the trend, and those conditions and download. Refusing to accept the conditions means missing out on a number of great games. Developers might not necessarily understand/appreciate that the consumer still wants boxed copies. They interpret the reduced sales as general disinterest in the adventure genre. They switch to Casual or Action. And so it goes. Gah. I prefer boxed copies too. But it's double-edged, as technology develops. And it will continue to develop -- look at the rise in popularity of eBooks, and the dramatic slump in sales of CDs/DVDs.

Yes, a conundrum indeed !! And I'm all for "sticking it out" too.
But not if my taking that action would be misunderstood by Developers in the way you suggest, Rushes frown
Posted By: bigmamma1

Re: Steam - 07/20/13 03:41 PM

bravoInteresting discussion
I too signed up for Steam because a few games Ive wanted were on sale. However I've had a few problems signing in and getting some of them into my "library". Havn't even tried to downnload any of them yet.
The frustrating thing is: They don't have any way of problem solving except via email, which they seem not to respond to very quickly from what I've read on other forums. (I solved my problem by googling it-finally, after wasting untold amts. of time) It would be nice if they at least had a "chat" ability.
Anyway, I see the whole game buying world changing from disk to download very rapidly.
Theres nothing we can do to change it except vote with our feet-I for one am going to do business with GOG and any who dont require 3rd party.No more Steam.
I can see a future where games will be "rented" for a fee each time you play,which would be OK as long as fee was small and game easy to access when you want to play it.
What do you think?
Posted By: Jenny100

Re: Steam - 07/20/13 04:15 PM

Originally Posted By: bigmamma1
I can see a future where games will be "rented" for a fee each time you play,which would be OK as long as fee was small and game easy to access when you want to play it.
What do you think?

It's not acceptable for me, and I doubt it would be acceptable for anyone with limited playing time -- and who very likely wouldn't be able to finish the game within the time limit. It doesn't make sense to put other responsibilities on the back burner because you have to finish a game within the alloted time -- and yes there are ways to make a game stop working after a certain period of time.

Fortunately I have many older games on disc, and one of the few good things about a bad memory is that an old game is like a brand new game when you replay. And as long as DRM-free shops like GOG and DotEMU exist there's no need to give up on newer games anyway.

But if the choice was between rented games and no games at all, I'd choose no games at all. I don't like being cheated. Nor do I appreciate essentially being told I have to adapt to the convenience (or moneymaking scheme) of the publisher. Not going to happen.

Yes, a conundrum indeed !! And I'm all for "sticking it out" too.
But not if my taking that action would be misunderstood by Developers in the way you suggest,

You can always write to the developer and clarify the matter. If they don't care enough to provide contact information, that's their loss, but most of them do -- even if it's only posting a message on their forums.
Posted By: cassadaga

Re: Steam - 07/20/13 05:21 PM

I agree with Jenny100 and I also agree with bigmamma1. Many years ago, or many video cards ago, I had a problem with Steam that never got resolved due to their lack of communication. If I recall I joined because they were one of the first sites that offered a good variety of adventure downloads.
I also had a problem with signing in that never got resolved.
I always felt it was my lack of computer knowledge that created the problem. Unlike other sites, Steam didn't have the patience for the unsavvy. Now there are so many sites that offer great downloads at great prices that I've never had the need to purchase from Steam again.
I also have a wonderful collection of games on disc that I bought before downloads took over. Back then, finding sources for a game was a game in itself.
Every once in a while I blow the dust off one and slip it into my computer and just am thankful that it's not on a floppy!

Re: Steam - 07/20/13 08:46 PM

Nearly all my games are on disk - old games AND new ones.
I have very few downloaded ones (apart from my GOG purchases) and I would like it to stay that way laugh

I simply didn't know until this game arrived (disk version) that I had to register with Steam in order to be able to play it - or I wouldn't have ever bought it !!
[I bought it from Amazon and there was just NO mention of Steam in the game details at Amazon.]

I don't have any other Steam games.

And (Jenny100) when new games in development start to get publicity I am one of the first to make contact and ask if a disk version will be available smile

Obviously, choice is the thing. It's my choice whether I buy a download or a disk version or neither !! lol
Posted By: Jenny100

Re: Steam - 07/20/13 09:17 PM

I simply didn't know until this game arrived (disk version) that I had to register with Steam in order to be able to play it - or I wouldn't have ever bought it !!
[I bought it from Amazon and there was just NO mention of Steam in the game details at Amazon.]

Sometimes they'll list "Internet connection" in the system requirements of a single player game. If they do, you'll know it has some form of online DRM attached to it.

Quote:
And (Jenny100) when new games in development start to get publicity I am one of the first to make contact and ask if a disk version will be available.

Unfortunately, as you found out, a disc version doesn't ensure a game doesn't have online authentication (which can mean Steam or limited installs). The company might tell you if their game uses Steam, but they won't tell you what type of DRM it uses.

Re: Steam - 07/21/13 02:52 PM

Hi Jenny100 smile

Although such a thing no doubt exists, I've never seen "Internet connection" listed in the advertised requirements of any game I would be interested in buying.

And as for DRM stuff.
Yes, I do now have several (disk versions) games that require using an "activation code" before being allowed to play.
But I only need to use the code on installation.
I don't have to log-in to a particular site every time I just want to play further - as I do with Steam rolleyes

Unfortunately, as we are all aware, none of the DRM stuff brought out to date appears to be preventing piracy. But it certainly can upset genuine customers like me !! mad

However, I've no wish to start yet another thread on THAT subject so I'll shut up now !!!! lol
Posted By: Karsten

Re: Steam - 07/22/13 02:35 PM

Many new games (from nearly every publisher and developer) require activation over the internet, in the (now) old days we used a cd-code. Today, many publishers require the use of Steam for activation purposes. EA has their own online system (Origin) for activation of games.

The old game I knew of where you needed to be connected to the internet all the time was Bioshock 2, and boy, did this game hit the bargain very quickly. (Ok, maybe Settlers 7 as well).
Posted By: sanford

Re: Steam - 07/28/13 05:42 AM

Hi, fellow Boomers.
I recently purchased "The Raven" pre-order download from AMAZON. In their description of the game, they added "Online Code Needed". Since I didn't know what that meant, I e-mailed Amazon Support with my question and they promptly replied explaining that it was a "Steam" game that would be downloaded FROM Steam when the game would be ready to be accessed. Since I am a Steam "member", I had no problem with that. They also told me that I could cancel my order if I chose to do that. So on July 23, I did download this game by receiving a CODE KEY from Amazon and followed their instructions on how to download through STEAM. I followed their clear instructions, and now I own another Steam game.
BTW, Also included in the instructions was a step by step description about activating a NEW Steam account for non-Steam members.
Sandy
Oh yes, the reason I didn't buy the game from Steam directly was because I had an Amazon Gift Certificate that I could use.
Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

Re: Steam - 07/28/13 03:26 PM

Thanks for the info Sandy. That is great to know.

Ana wave
© 2024 GameBoomers Community