GB HOMEPAGE

Are boxed versions of games still being produced?

Posted By: JohnBoy

Are boxed versions of games still being produced? - 07/21/13 01:34 PM

I just checked out The Adventure Shop and unless I am missing something it appears that everything is for download. Are boxed versions available anymore and if so where do you buy them?
I recently won a game here on GB and I was never able to play. My virus program won't let me. Besides if I am going to pay $30 bucks for a new game I want the physical game, not a download. Thanks, JohnBoy

PS I guess I am just plain ole "Old School". lol
Posted By: MaG

Re: Are boxed versions of games still being produced? - 07/21/13 02:14 PM

wave Johnny!

Adventure Shop has always been a download seller since conception.
There are some boxed version sold by other sellers like Amazon or overseas. Also the developer or publisher might have that option also.
It has been the trend in the last few years to go download. It is easier and cheaper for publishers to do so - as well as other reasons.
There are several commentaries about this trend in the past.
Posted By: Jenny100

Re: Are boxed versions of games still being produced? - 07/21/13 02:19 PM

Johnboy,
You may have to buy from overseas because publishers choose not to sell a boxed version in the US. Sometimes overseas sellers sell through Amazon and eBay. Unfortunately we don't have Dave from InteractCD to import games anymore.

Re: Are boxed versions of games still being produced? - 07/21/13 02:20 PM

Thanks Mag, What happens if you want to play a downloaded game 10 years from now. Will you still be able to?

Thanks Jenny!

Re: Are boxed versions of games still being produced? - 07/21/13 03:03 PM

Most download stores keep your record and you can download the game again.

Re: Are boxed versions of games still being produced? - 07/21/13 03:28 PM

OK, Thanks, Anyway I just went to Amazon.com and ordered Edna & Harley: The Breakout, Ghost Pirates, Ceville, Runaway: A Twist of Fate, Deponia, Haunted and Drawn: The Painted Tower. Why is there no reference to the game Drawn here? I could not find a review of this game here nor WT if needed.
Posted By: Rushes

Re: Are boxed versions of games still being produced? - 07/21/13 03:40 PM

Drawn: The Painted Tower is an adventure "lite". It's been discussed here, but over at the Casual forum. It has a number of hidden object scenes, but plenty of puzzling too. smile
Posted By: Marian

Re: Are boxed versions of games still being produced? - 07/21/13 04:21 PM

Actually, Drawn: The Painted Tower has no hidden object scenes. It's a good game and I think you will enjoy it. There is a walkthrough available here. wave

Re: Are boxed versions of games still being produced? - 07/21/13 04:27 PM

Oh! Well, that's Googling for you. lol I Googled, and commenters elsewhere were discussing the hidden object element of it. woozy

Drawn

(I haven't played it, as is now quite obvious!)

Re: Are boxed versions of games still being produced? - 07/21/13 05:43 PM

Strange! Unless picking up inventory items constitutes a hidden object scene, I can't understand why they would have said the game has hidden object scenes. wave
Posted By: sanford

Re: Are boxed versions of games still being produced? - 07/22/13 01:07 AM

Hi johnboy,
I would just like to say that I haven't bought a "boxed" game in the last three or four years. If you buy a game download from a LEGITIMATE game-seller (such as The Acventure Shop, and others like it), you buy it and get your downloads immediately. You can always re-download your paid-for games as long as you have an account wih any of those websites. Also, each website has a support system which can help you with any issues that you might have. They all want "happy" customers who will buy from them again.Having said that, when I download a game, I copy EACH download to my external drive for safe-keeping. You can also "burn" your downloads to a CD or a DVD disk. I hope that what I have explained will make you feel more comfortable about purchasing downloadable games. HAPPY GAMING!
Sandy
Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

Re: Are boxed versions of games still being produced? - 07/22/13 03:19 AM

Just an FYI, if we call it an "adventure lite" in the title at Casualn forum, it means it has no hidden object scenes.

Ana wave
Posted By: aserID

Re: Are boxed versions of games still being produced? - 07/22/13 08:51 AM

MaG- wave
It's true, you can re-
download a game years
from now, but what if
that store isn't around
years from now? Do we
lose the game?

Thanks, MaG,

Aser rah

Posted By: Mad

Re: Are boxed versions of games still being produced? - 07/22/13 02:04 PM

"You can also "burn" your downloads to a CD or a DVD disk."

Only if there is no "copy protect" involved whistle
Posted By: Karsten

Re: Are boxed versions of games still being produced? - 07/22/13 02:27 PM

Hi Johnboy smile

What virus program are you using? Can you not choose to exit the virus program while playing the game you've won?

In most virus programmes there should be an option called 'exception'. This means you can tell the virus programme to treat this game/file as an exception and not register it as virus/threat to your computer.

I like boxed games as much as the next guy, but I'm looking into downloads as well. However, I'm not sure I can play Mysteries of Westgate (NWN2) anymore, since Gamers Gate has been taken over by Direct 2 Drive, I think.

If we want to play a game made in the early 1990s or late 1980's, today we probably will have to tweak it in order to play the game. 10 years from now we probably still will - or hope we can buy/get it at good old games smile
Posted By: Carrie

Re: Are boxed versions of games still being produced? - 07/22/13 03:38 PM

I still get the Carol Reed games in hard copy. No box, but a slim DVD case that has a cover design. They are also available as downloads, but so far, I've gotten the actual disks.

Re: Are boxed versions of games still being produced? - 07/22/13 05:25 PM

Thanks everyone for all the help and great advice. I have the free version of AVG and can't figure out how to make the exception for the game to download. I emailed the company for advice but they never bothered to contact me. There are other instances where I had lots of trouble with downloads and had to get refunds. I have an extremely bad taste for it and won't do it. I will stop playing games when I can't buy the boxed games. As I said "old school here". lol
Anyway, I did find most of what I was looking for in boxed games, some I had to get from the UK. But what amazes me is I got them for much less than the download cost. Go figure. And yes they are new sealed copies.
Posted By: traveler

Re: Are boxed versions of games still being produced? - 07/22/13 08:52 PM

JohnBoy,

Just turn AVG off, download the game, then turn it on again.
Sites like GOG and Adventure Shop are not going to pounce on you with a virus.

Gil.
Posted By: Melia

Re: Are boxed versions of games still being produced? - 07/23/13 09:47 PM

I tried just now to check on the Agon games that I downloaded years ago. I still have the original emails from the website and the user name and password should I need to download them again.

I have a problem - the website isn't there. How am I supposed to reinstall the games now?

Re: Are boxed versions of games still being produced? - 07/23/13 09:49 PM

Which website did you download from, Melia?

Re: Are boxed versions of games still being produced? - 07/23/13 09:53 PM

agongame.com

And I just went to microids at gamesplanet and they aren't there either.

Re: Are boxed versions of games still being produced? - 07/23/13 09:59 PM

Melia, agon is still there, I had no problem getting to it http://agongame.com/ and here .

Microids was purchased by anuman. You can contact them Here.

Re: Are boxed versions of games still being produced? - 07/23/13 10:02 PM

I think Google Chrome might be the culprit here. Try a different browser, Melia, if you use Chrome?

Re: Are boxed versions of games still being produced? - 07/23/13 10:05 PM

I use Google Chrome and had no issues.

Ana wave

Re: Are boxed versions of games still being produced? - 07/23/13 10:10 PM

I can't access either site with either Chrome or Internet Explorer. eek

I'm having no problems with http://www.agongame.de/ however. smile Except that of course it's in a different language. lol

Re: Are boxed versions of games still being produced? - 07/23/13 10:14 PM

Strange. duh

Re: Are boxed versions of games still being produced? - 07/23/13 10:16 PM

It seems that the site can be accessed in US. I lknow someone in Canada can't.
It looks like the site is country specific. lol

Re: Are boxed versions of games still being produced? - 07/23/13 10:18 PM

The first link that you gave me wouldn't load the page, but the second one for Agon did. Thanks. I'll check it out.

The link for anuman loaded ok. I'll contact them to see if they'll honor the purchase I made. Tnanks for that, too.

And I use firefox.

Edit: I was able to send an email to anuman, but the agon site didn't have any links to send messages.
Posted By: oldbroad

Re: Are boxed versions of games still being produced? - 07/24/13 02:52 AM

Ana, your first link wouldn't load for me and the second one set off my Malwarebytes (and did not load).

Re: Are boxed versions of games still being produced? - 07/24/13 04:05 AM

oldbroad,
it set off my Malwarebytes, too. I just right clicked the Malwarebytes icon and chose to put the numerical address on the Ignore list. After that, the second one opened right up.
Not that it was a lot of use.
There's a tiny address for the company in Budapest but no way to contact Private Moon by a link or email.

Gil.
Posted By: Pilaus

Re: Are boxed versions of games still being produced? - 07/24/13 01:56 PM

Hi,
the official site for the Agon games is http://www.agongame.com and it links back to the Privatemoon central site.

The Agon site is under maintenance at the moment but please check directly the privatemoon site for Agon and other games:
http://gamedev.privatemoon.com/en/fomenu1/agon-the-london-scene-description

At this moment, Agon is not distriuted in a boxed version (only in Hungarian). Some English copies might still be available at Amazon however.

Re: Are boxed versions of games still being produced? - 07/24/13 02:44 PM

Pilaus, the first link doesn't load. I've been trying it since yesterday. And the second link that I also tried yesterday doesn't have contact information. There's no one I can email or call about the games I've already purchased. All that site offers is to sell the games, not to give service.

Re: Are boxed versions of games still being produced? - 07/24/13 03:34 PM

Originally Posted By: Melia
I tried just now to check on the Agon games that I downloaded years ago. I still have the original emails from the website and the user name and password should I need to download them again.

I have a problem - the website isn't there. How am I supposed to reinstall the games now?

See there, that's what is going to happen. Years from now we wont have the games to replay. These download companies will not last forever. Got Ceville and Haunted in the mail this morning. Half way through BOUT. Loving it!

Re: Are boxed versions of games still being produced? - 07/24/13 03:38 PM

JohnBoy, you will have the games to play if you buy from a site that sells them without DRM and lets you burn the game to disk because the game is now yours, period.
It's the same thing as a boxed copy since you don't have to activate it with a code or online or whatever.
Just no box. grin

Gil.

Re: Are boxed versions of games still being produced? - 07/24/13 03:51 PM

Originally Posted By: traveler
JohnBoy, you will have the games to play if you buy from a site that sells them without DRM and lets you burn the game to disk because the game is now yours, period.
It's the same thing as a boxed copy since you don't have to activate it with a code or online or whatever.
Just no box. grin

Gil.

Not too many of that type of site running yet though, traveller, and I do use the ones that are - but I have the same disquiet as Johnboy regarding the future play of "download only" or "by activation only" games duh
Posted By: Homer6

Re: Are boxed versions of games still being produced? - 07/24/13 07:27 PM

I too am somewhat dubious about not being able to have a game in my sweaty palms. While it is less expensive to produce games if they are for download only, that is no guarantee the company will be around tomorrow. And if this company sells to that company, will that company honor your right to re-download a purchased game? And if the downloaded game is protected, storage other than the HD becomes interesting.

Instead of looking at all the ramifications with using a particular marketing strategy, people look for the least expensive. Not realizing they might be setting themselves up a huge loss in the future.

Re: Are boxed versions of games still being produced? - 07/24/13 07:36 PM

Originally Posted By: Homer6
I too am somewhat dubious about not being able to have a game in my sweaty palms.

Having a hard copy of a game doesn't ensure it won't require online activation. If a game on DVD uses online activation, it's no better than a download if the publisher goes out of business or decides not to support activation of their older games anymore.

Re: Are boxed versions of games still being produced? - 07/24/13 07:51 PM

For the price of a game, Homer6, you can burn every game you ever bought from a DRM-free site like GOG or DotEmu to disk.
You don't have to depend on them being there ten or twenty years from now.

We must pray that those two and any others that care about gamers who despise DRM and online activation and game managers and can live forever without Achievements stay in business and stay true to their promises.

Do we have an icon for petitioning the god of games?

Gil.

Re: Are boxed versions of games still being produced? - 07/24/13 09:47 PM

Melia,
the contact for the developer of Agon is contact@privatemoon.com . It is displayed now on the privatemoon site under Links.
Please contact them with your problem, although I understand it might be a publisher issue. Anyhow, maybe they can help.

Re: Are boxed versions of games still being produced? - 07/24/13 09:56 PM

So are there enough of us to get them to stop the download-only choice? I don't think so. I'm stuck with Agon games that I'd better not uninstall or the computer crash because I'll never get them back. GOG wasn't available at the time, I don't think. And even if they were, Agon wasn't on their site. Now that I know about burning the download to a disc, I'll be able to do it in the future. All of my executable downloads have been removed from the download folder long ago, so it's not an option.

Edit: Thanks Pilaus. I'll try it.

Re: Are boxed versions of games still being produced? - 07/24/13 10:09 PM

I appreciate your time Pilaus. thanks

This download issue hasn't changed in years. You can view a 4 year old thread here. It isn't going away, there will be more downloads and less boxes. You can choose to download (with or without DRM) or not play some games. That is up to you.
Posted By: Karsten

Re: Are boxed versions of games still being produced? - 07/25/13 01:19 PM

I can remember what happend when Atari suddenly decided not to sell the Neverwinter NIghts Premium Modules anymore. And so the activation codes didn't work - but then Bioware patched these codes out in the final 1.69 patch. And yes, the community helped out as well - so I wouldn't be too worried here.

Can we play King's Quest 4 on modern day computers - yes, with the help of Good Old Games. For the Agon Games, they seem to be on Bigfish now.

I tried looking into which greek or roman god could be connected to computer games? Maybe Apollo? or Mercury? or maybe Uranus since we deal in technology here? Or maybe Jupiter since we need a bit of good also?

However, if it has something to with being online and trading, I'm sure we'll need Mercury as he/she? is the god for communication and trade as well.

Re: Are boxed versions of games still being produced? - 07/25/13 02:15 PM

Mercury (Hermes) is also the god of thieves.
Not such a bad choice when you consider that adventure gamers are used to taking everything they find in a game that's not nailed down.
grin

Gil.

Re: Are boxed versions of games still being produced? - 07/25/13 02:25 PM

Originally Posted By: Karsten
I can remember what happend when Atari suddenly decided not to sell the Neverwinter NIghts Premium Modules anymore. And so the activation codes didn't work - but then Bioware patched these codes out in the final 1.69 patch. And yes, the community helped out as well - so I wouldn't be too worried here.

That kind of thing only happens with extremely popular games, not with adventure games which are less well known and less played. If games like Byzantine, Connections, Ripper, Lost in Time, Chronomaster, Mission Critical, RAMA, Riddle of Master Lu, and Black Dahlia had included online activation, you would not be able to play them now (unless you had the technical expertise to remove the activation requirement yourself -- or knew someone who could and was willing to take the time to do it for you). For more well-known games like the Monkey Island games or Grim Fandango, you might get some workarounds from the community, but not for most adventure games.

Re: Are boxed versions of games still being produced? - 07/25/13 04:31 PM

Mercury is an excellent choice yes He/it is a major puzzle in Yoomurjak's Ring!
Posted By: Marji

Re: Are boxed versions of games still being produced? - 07/25/13 07:10 PM

Living in a rurual area where I can only get dial-up I also need boxed games or games on disc. All the Carol Reed games are on disc as are the Nancy Drew games. I got Lost Chronicles Zerzura on disc from Viva Media, also Anna. I do get games on disc from Amazon and Half.com.
So they are around but who knows for how much longer.

Re: Are boxed versions of games still being produced? - 07/26/13 02:48 AM

I'm finding it harder and harder to get the discs at Amazon now too. When I'm looking for a game, I go on there everyday because when they do get it, they seem to only get a few and then they're gone forever. You have to pounce on them when you see them.

I said I would not do downloads but have actually downloaded 3 games now from Steam. I wanted the games so....

And since I followed a link above a couple of days ago, every time I come into this thread my malwarebytes goes off!

Re: Are boxed versions of games still being produced? - 07/26/13 02:14 PM

Originally Posted By: oldbroad
And since I followed a link above a couple of days ago, every time I come into this thread my malwarebytes goes off!

I think that's Pilaus' avatar. lol It links back to the Agon site, and doesn't show as an image for me. My Malwarebytes kicks off too on this thread, but only on the pages where Pilaus has posted.

Re: Are boxed versions of games still being produced? - 07/26/13 03:55 PM

THat's interesting, on my browser all I get is a little image holder icon on Pilaus's avatar. I guess my browser blocks it.

Ana wave

Re: Are boxed versions of games still being produced? - 07/26/13 09:55 PM

I just had to tell you what Bigfish did for me today. I had written to them, giving them a copy of my games receipt for three of the Agon games - games which I knew they sold. They came back and gave me free downloads for all the games! Is that service or what?!

The only game I didn't have a receipt for was Pirates of Madagascar. I'll have to figure out something for that. But now with those three downloads, I can go to the download folder and make a copy for future use. Isn't that tremendous?!

Re: Are boxed versions of games still being produced? - 07/26/13 10:15 PM

Melia, I'm not surprised about what Big Fish did for you; that's the kind of response and treatment I have always had from their Customer Support. Thanks for letting us know. thumbsup

Re: Are boxed versions of games still being produced? - 07/26/13 10:17 PM

Another reason why I just don't understand why people complain about BigFish. They stand in a class by themselves. Were you a BF customer before that?

Re: Are boxed versions of games still being produced? - 07/26/13 10:53 PM

Yes. I've bought many games from them and have an account with them.
Posted By: lanlynk

Re: Are boxed versions of games still being produced? - 07/27/13 12:46 AM

Originally Posted By: Melia
The only game I didn't have a receipt for was Pirates of Madagascar. I'll have to figure out something for that. But now with those three downloads, I can go to the download folder and make a copy for future use. Isn't that tremendous?!

Melia, the 3 AGON games that Big Fish sells are:
Agon: The London Scene
Agon: From Lapland to Madagascar
Agon: The Lost Sword of Toledo

I bought my AGON games from them, and I'm pretty sure that the second game includes both the Lapland episode and the Madagascar one. I remember playing it. So if that's the Pirates of Madagascar game you're talking about, your new Big Fish games should include it.

And here's a thread from a couple of years ago at GameBoomers about both episodes being included in the one Big Fish game:
AGON: From Lapland to Madagascar

Re: Are boxed versions of games still being produced? - 07/27/13 03:19 AM

Originally Posted By: lanlynk

I bought my AGON games from them, and I'm pretty sure that the second game includes both the Lapland episode and the Madagascar one. I remember playing it. So if that's the Pirates of Madagascar game you're talking about, your new Big Fish games should include it.

And here's a thread from a couple of years ago at GameBoomers about both episodes being included in the one Big Fish game:
AGON: From Lapland to Madagascar

That's great news! Thanks, lanlynk!

Re: Are boxed versions of games still being produced? - 07/27/13 04:03 AM

That's great, Melia bravo

I, too, have always received excellent help and support from BigFish grin

Re: Are boxed versions of games still being produced? - 07/27/13 08:34 AM

oops

Was it my avatar...? I think the URL was no longer alive, sorry! I changed it, hopefully there will be no error messages now.

As for The Pirates of Madagascar, it is part of the title AGON - From Lapland to Madagascar on Big Fish. This is a special edition for BFG only. Otherwise the 3 eposides are part of The Mysterious Codex.

Re: Are boxed versions of games still being produced? - 07/27/13 05:40 PM

Yes, games can be burned to disc, and yes, boxed games requiring online activation can become unusable if online activation is no longer possible, but these are not the issues.

At one time is was the consumer who drove the engine, not the seller. It was the consumer who told the seller what they wanted and how they wanted. But today, it's the seller who drives the engine and the engine is called profits.

Because profits are todays buzz word in the business world, consumers are being told how they're going to buy something, what form its going to take, and tough if they don't like it. And the consumer sits back and takes it, something that would never have occurred years ago.

I am one of those in the minority who want certain things sold in a certain form, because I find it more convenient. And because of this I've been forced to buy necessary things in a form totally inconvenient to my needs. This trend is ever increasing, and the consumer is buying into it.

As long as profits drive the engine, consumers are going to be forced to buy more and more things that are not convenient to their needs. And unless consumers stand up and say enough, unless consumers stop telling themselves they can't do anything about all this, they are going to be at the mercy of the seller. The one who now drives a train the consumer once owned.

Re: Are boxed versions of games still being produced? - 07/27/13 09:14 PM

Pilaus - my Malwarebyted didn't pop up this time so...

I couldn't see your avatar before, just an empty box with an X in it.
Posted By: oldmariner

Re: Are boxed versions of games still being produced? - 07/27/13 09:41 PM

Yes, games can be burned to disc, and yes, boxed games requiring online activation can become unusable if online activation is no longer possible, but these are not the issues.

At one time is was the consumer who drove the engine, not the seller. It was the consumer who told the seller what they wanted and how they wanted. But today, it's the seller who drives the engine and the engine is called profits.

Because profits are todays buzz word in the business world, consumers are being told how they're going to buy something, what form its going to take, and tough if they don't like it. And the consumer sits back and takes it, something that would never have occurred years ago.

I am one of those in the minority who want certain things sold in a certain form, because I find it more convenient. And because of this I've been forced to buy necessary things in a form totally inconvenient to my needs. This trend is ever increasing, and the consumer is buying into it.

As long as profits drive the engine, consumers are going to be forced to buy more and more things that are not convenient to their needs. And unless consumers stand up and say enough, unless consumers stop telling themselves they can't do anything about all this, they are going to be at the mercy of the seller. The one who now drives a train the consumer once owned.

I'm one hundred percent with you on that Homer.

It is a great scheme though place a file on your server and sell it over and over again to the gullible while they are told what they bought is not theirs and never had been.

What happened to the sheeple? Just say thank you for your favors master we shall comply without questioning. While accepting the same with e-books. Oh well I have plenty of other things to do.

Sure

Re: Are boxed versions of games still being produced? - 07/28/13 06:01 AM

I really didn't mean to get on a soapbox, oldmariner, but it galls me when I see more and more choices taken away from consumers all in the name of profits.

I worked for a corporation for 34 years, when customer service WAS the only goal; I'm not talking about customer support. By the time I retired after 34 years, customer service had definitely taken a backseat to profits. Too many times I saw service outages taken care of the following day, when once everyone available would have been sent in until complete repairs were made.

I got off track in talking about other things besides box or downloading games, but what I've referred to is all included within this topic. It may have happened, but I can't remember hearing of any survey asking how a person would like to buy a game. It has happened that surveys were issued asking about the graphics or design of this or that, but not about how it would be sold.

A person posting in this thread said they were still using dial-up for internet service, as hundreds of others are. I remember how long it took to download something through dial-up lines, and having to download a 400 + MB game is going to tie up the phone line for quite some time. Were I still on dial-up service, I'd want to buy boxed/jewel case games instead of tying the phone line for the better part of the day.

So why can't I still have that choice? Because someone investing in this or that company want their profit as quickly as it can be made. And they don't want anymore money spent in providing the service if it's going to cut into those profits. So, no duplicating machines, no graphic printing, no jewel cases, no middle man, no shipping. Load it onto a server which cost pennies over the usual method of delivery, and you save hundreds or thousands of dollars. All of which can be returned to the investor in the hopes said investor will continue to support the company. And all of this without input from the consumer.

lakecat had released two books I'd love to read. But because they are only available on the Kindle, I'll be unable to read them. I do buy almost all my sci-fi books from Amazon, and have never been given a survey asking my preference in reading format. But it is becoming quite clear it is more desirable to sell books in e-reader format than hard or paper back. So what I may eventually be forced into is spending money to buy an e-reader just to buy a book to read. And it's going to cost me a lot more than what I pay at the moment.
Posted By: gremlin

Re: Are boxed versions of games still being produced? - 07/28/13 09:12 AM

In US law, the first responsibility of the board of directors of a company, and the CEO, is to increase share-holder value. I think that goes a long way to explain the change in corporate culture you describe Homer6.

Re. e-readers - the books are usually cheaper in electronic form, and I can carry around literally hundreds of books on my kindle. (actually, I have the kindle fire hd which is a mini-tablet, with games, internet, skype, music and video, as well as my books)

I do take your point about choices though. frown

Re: Are boxed versions of games still being produced? - 07/28/13 03:45 PM

We have posted here as well as developers have on the reasons that many new games especially Indie games are not available in boxed form. Life is too short to keep looking up the same threads and posting links time and time again so if you really were interested in the facts, you would search for them. I do not think it will matter because it seems that no matter the real reasons there will always be those that are just set on thinking it's some anti-consumer and greed based maneuver and they will not open their minds to the truth. We have had these threads pop up every few months for the last 6 years and counting and it gets weary to keep rehashing it.

FYI - I took my staff hat for this post. This is my personal opinion...not necessarily those of GameBoomers.

Ana
Posted By: oldmariner

Re: Are boxed versions of games still being produced? - 07/29/13 12:20 AM

Originally Posted By: BrownEyedTigre
We have posted here as well as developers have on the reasons that many new games especially Indie games are not available in boxed form. Life is too short to keep looking up the same threads and posting links time and time again so if you really were interested in the facts, you would search for them. I do not think it will matter because it seems that no matter the real reasons there will always be those that are just set on thinking it's some anti-consumer and greed based maneuver and they will not open their minds to the truth. We have had these threads pop up every few months for the last 6 years and counting and it gets weary to keep rehashing it.

FYI - I took my staff hat for this post. This is my personal opinion...not necessarily those of GameBoomers.

Ana

It is not a matter of seeking the "truth" or the mindset behind the decision to issue games via box or download. That aspect is not the point of contention.

The bottom line is the consumer is being cheated in the guize of convience and a need for developers to cut costs. Downloading is an excellent way to cut those costs

There is no reason these developers cannot release their games in manner GOG does. DRM and restrictions free. In that way consumers get to keep the product they bought. Has anyone asked why it is Shiny Loot can sell the new BOUT Critters release DRM free?

As it stands now, we consumers are told when, where and if we can enjoy what we bought. In fact under the present direction we are told we don't even "own" what we paid for. That is unacceptable.

In a recent outrage the courts have said you are not allowed to will your Kendle books to your descendents. Really? So all those books you thought you bought are rentals. In fact one book stated on the copyright page it is illeagle to allow someone else to read this book. They have to buy their own. I don't ever loan out these types of books, however in this case I'd make an exception.

Oh, yes they claim it is to protect their intellectual rights which is a load of bunk. There is not a single DRM out there that hackers have not taken apart.

The objection is not the method of delivery it is the contempt for the legal supporter of their product. (I almost said legal purchaser that is wrong)

As long as the public "gets weary to keep rehashing it" That comment serves as enabling the contempt of the consumer. The only option is to continue complaining and refuse to support this scam. Yes the argument against not knuckling under is these poor game suppliers will go out of business. That is a false claim. What will happen is they will learn you cannot treat the people who keep you business with contempt and stay in business. They will come to understand they need us it is not the other way around. If they fail to learn that lesson? Well I guess we support the next best thing. Like I said they me I don't need them

It is like they say in politics, you get the government you deserve. In this case when you submit you keep on submitting.

Re: Are boxed versions of games still being produced? - 07/29/13 01:35 AM

Unless one is an insider to the delivery aspect of the games, one can not generalize or know what is happening in the background.

One would not know if there are:
- background discussion or legal agreement on how a game is to be released from publisher /developer.
- know if the game sold by any publisher is legal (DRM or non-DRM). We have seen in the past that the members favorite sites can be embroiled in non-legal snafus and get caught in the middle.
- We can only verify that a site we support is legal.

We should not malign a system that is still evolving. You as buyer wants to protect yourself; while the seller wants to do the same on their side.
As for those that can sell DRM free games - as I said there can be some legal or illegal aspects that we do not know of.

What is stated above is that best to "let's wait and see" and this topic has been discussed a lot already. Ranting has never been productive or make one be sympathetic to that cause.

Posted By: Kaki's Sister

Re: Are boxed versions of games still being produced? - 07/29/13 11:18 AM

I would like to add my thoughts here. I'm getting old and all this new technology is getting ahead of me. I can see it is going to be difficult as we all age and get forgetful and get confused. Right now I can find a book that I own on my shelf and I can pick it up and read it. I can also pick up a game and install it on my computer.
I can't imagine how I will be able in the future to figure out how to find a game or a book in the"Clouds" or on a "Kindle". I have enough trouble now finding where I physically put something in the next room never mind trying to find where I stored it in the "clouds" or other invisible storage place! All those passwords to remember or change or find! A nightmare for seniors!

Re: Are boxed versions of games still being produced? - 07/29/13 03:15 PM

There are password programs to store your passwords encrypted if you need them and you always get an email after you purchase them and I save them in a folder just for game downloads. You can edit the subject lines of emails for easy searching.

You can also make an excel spreadsheet to keep track.

I think it's easier to lose a physical book than it is to lose one stored in the clouds. You always know it's right there.
Posted By: anne2

Re: Are boxed versions of games still being produced? - 07/29/13 04:25 PM

I don't mind downloading games anymore, but must say I miss opening Dave's parcels from Interact, all nicely wrapped and full of surprises.

wave
Posted By: GreyFuss

Re: Are boxed versions of games still being produced? - 07/29/13 04:51 PM

What are boxed games? I vaguely remember my Grandmother telling me stories about games that came in boxes with all kinds of extras inside...what a unique idea. She also use to tell me stories of an enchanted far away place where these mystical boxed games were created and shipped all over the world by little gnomes or some sort of fantasy creatures. Gramma had quite the imagination. She said the name of this land was called.....Interact. Of course we never believed any of her stories and only thought them to be make believe........right?
Posted By: chrissie

Re: Are boxed versions of games still being produced? - 07/29/13 06:32 PM

Originally Posted By: Kaki's Sister
.....I can see it is going to be difficult as we all age and get forgetful and get confused. Right now I can find a book that I own on my shelf and I can pick it up and read it. I can also pick up a game and install it on my computer.
I can't imagine how I will be able in the future to figure out how to find a game or a book in the"Clouds" or on a "Kindle". I have enough trouble now finding where I physically put something in the next room never mind trying to find where I stored it in the "clouds" or other invisible storage place! All those passwords to remember or change or find! A nightmare for seniors!

I completely sympathise Kaki's Sister - my late mother decided to get a computer quite late in life & worked very hard to get her head around using one! There were many phone-calls to myself & also one of my brothers to try & talk her through what she wasn't understanding!

There are password programs to store your passwords encrypted if you need them and you always get an email after you purchase them and I save them in a folder just for game downloads. You can edit the subject lines of emails for easy searching.

You can also make an excel spreadsheet to keep track.

I think it's easier to lose a physical book than it is to lose one stored in the clouds. You always know it's right there.

I don't want to be contentious here BrownEyedTigre but shame on you for just 'breezing through' what you see as 'easy' solutions, to you maybe, but not to Kaki's Sister who's struggling with the modern way - & as for using Excel, are you taking the ****? - the program only comes as part of a Microsoft Office/Business Suite - you maybe able to buy it separately but it's certainly not free & then you need to know how to use it! I just can't believe how horrible your response is to this lady!

Re: Are boxed versions of games still being produced? - 07/29/13 07:02 PM

Chrissie, first off I know Gerry (Kaki's sister) and I think she knows me well enough by now that she understood I was offering her ways to help her.

As for Excel, being in an office environment for most of my adult life, I use the term Excel as a generic term for any spreadsheet app. It is like saying Kleenex instead of tissues. There is a great alternative to Word and Excel here called Open Office that works well.

I will not apologize nor am I ashamed of offering solutions to someone's issues.

Ana
Posted By: anne2

Re: Are boxed versions of games still being produced? - 07/29/13 07:15 PM

GreyFuss, it was real, the postman said so:)

Re: Are boxed versions of games still being produced? - 07/29/13 10:27 PM

Ana you are one of my favorite people on GB. I think my post was taken too seriously by everyone. I was only trying to point out "in a humorous way" how we seniors look at the new technology!
I can laugh at myself no problem! I also know where to go for help when needed on GB. When in doubt I ask Ana! dance dance

Re: Are boxed versions of games still being produced? - 07/29/13 10:54 PM

hearts Thank you Gerry! I would be happy to help you on any spreadsheet type program if you need it too.

Ana wave

Re: Are boxed versions of games still being produced? - 07/30/13 02:42 AM

Well, I for one am having a lot of trouble with all of the new technology. I used to understand the stuff but not anymore. I read most of the posts in glitches, some of which are about game download problems, and I don't understand them one bit!
Posted By: chrissie

Re: Are boxed versions of games still being produced? - 07/30/13 10:04 AM

Chrissie, first off I know Gerry (Kaki's sister) and I think she knows me well enough by now that she understood I was offering her ways to help her.

As for Excel, being in an office environment for most of my adult life, I use the term Excel as a generic term for any spreadsheet app. It is like saying Kleenex instead of tissues. There is a great alternative to Word and Excel here called Open Office that works well.

I will not apologize nor am I ashamed of offering solutions to someone's issues.

Ana

No, I apologise BrownEyedTigre & also Kaki's Sister! At the time it seemed like complicated advice & you are of course right in that there are alternatives to the ludicrously expensive Excel - as well as Open Office there's also Microsoft Works which comes (or used to come) with new PCs but probably not as good?

I myself tend to store passwords in a small address book & shortcuts to download games in a folder on my desktop which automatically list in alphabetical order.

I would prefer disc versions of games but don't see the point if they need on-line activation. My main objections to downloading games is the time it can take (& I have quite a fast speed), limited activations, the inability to sell games on & the price of many new games.

I was reading with interest about the Kindle books - at least with a game whether it's a disc version or a download the experience of playing it is exactly the same, but reading on a gadget can't be the same as curling up with a physical copy can it?

Re: Are boxed versions of games still being produced? - 07/30/13 10:06 AM

Chrissie no need to apologize to me. These forums are here for us to get to know each other and express our views. That said lets all move on and enjoy our day. wave

We are on the same page oldbroad! woozy

Re: Are boxed versions of games still being produced? - 07/30/13 01:23 PM

I remember reading a post from one person who kept a notebook by their computer, with all their passwords in it. This might be a solution for those who can't keep track of where their online games are. You don't need Excel or an Excel-clone to keep track of your games. Just write them down the old-fashioned way and keep the list in one place.

Even if you use the computer to store the list, you don't need Excel. Wordpad or Notepad is fine.

What Excel does is allow you to put things in categories and search by category. But that's not really necessary if all you want is a record of where your games are.

Re: Are boxed versions of games still being produced? - 07/30/13 03:20 PM

The main reason to use a spreadsheet app is the fact that if you have a lot of entries, you can hit the sort button and immediately put it in ABC order or date order or any other order you choose for easy sorting. That is why I use Excel (yes I have Microsoft Office on my computers) for almost anything I need to keep track of because you can manipulate it quickly anyway you choose. They are also very easy to use for these functions. The only time they get complicated is when using formulas on them for automatic calculations. There is no need to be afraid of them otherwise.

Ana wave

Re: Are boxed versions of games still being produced? - 07/30/13 06:57 PM

RE: Spreadsheets--All right, I have to admit to a touch of compulsiveness here. (More than a touch?) I have a workbook (multiple spreadsheets) with several tabs for my gaming hobby. One is for games I own and still need to play. They're listed in categories (Adventure, Simulation, Casual, RPG, etc.) and alphabetically. The cells are colored coded to tell me where I bought the download games or whether it is on discs. Another tab in the workbook lists the games I've played. Another tab, games I'd like to buy. I have a tab for game codes and one for game site user names and passwords, and a tab for notes on making games work on Win 7.

What can I say? I'm into lists! lol

PS: I used to use MS Office, but after retiring, I now use LibreOffice, which developed from Open Office.

Re: Are boxed versions of games still being produced? - 07/30/13 07:00 PM

Now that's some classy organisation, lanlynk! lol

Re: Are boxed versions of games still being produced? - 07/30/13 07:02 PM

Aren't spreadsheets awesome lanlynk? I was an accountant for 30 years so I learned to love what they can do to make your life easier.

Re: Are boxed versions of games still being produced? - 07/30/13 08:02 PM

Use of spreadsheets can be of great use, once a person learns the software. And they can quickly organize lists once they are properly setup. However, and not to throw a monkey wrench into the mix, but unless you print out your spreadsheets, or have a backup apart of the computer, a severe crash will wipe out all the work.

As to keeping passwords/user IDs in a spreadsheet, if a password is needed to login on the computer, that password should be jotted down and kept somewhere safe. If you forget that password, it's going to be very hard to get onto the computer to open the spreadsheet containing that password.

Re: Are boxed versions of games still being produced? - 07/30/13 09:20 PM

... unless you print out your spreadsheets, or have a backup apart of the computer, a severe crash will wipe out all the work.

As to keeping passwords/user IDs in a spreadsheet, if a password is needed to login on the computer, that password should be jotted down and kept somewhere safe.

Good points to remember! I try to keep updated printouts. I also have synching software that I use to synch data from my computer to my home server as backup ... and to my laptop for some of the less private info.

So here's another question: How do people organize their boxed games? In a closet? Displayed? I have two shelves with games placed by type and series. My unplayed games are set apart. smile

Re: Are boxed versions of games still being produced? - 07/30/13 09:52 PM

Organized?
Lol! It's like reading notes from an alien species to see all this about spreadsheets and classified games.

I do have my dozens of passwords written down but I hope I never have to actually type them.
Length is the great thing and nothing that could conceivably make sense, but it sure makes them hard to read.

My passwords for regular use are all where I can just copy and paste them.
A darned sight less risky than typing them in for a keylogger, IMO.
Many years on, I've never had an account hacked.
(I know, famous last words.)

Gil.

Re: Are boxed versions of games still being produced? - 07/30/13 10:25 PM

"My passwords for regular use are all where I can just copy and paste them.
A darned sight less risky than typing them in for a keylogger, IMO.
"

Some sites won't accept a "copied and pasted" password. You have to type it in smile

Re: Are boxed versions of games still being produced? - 07/30/13 10:35 PM

I used to have one that refused a copy/paste.
Believe it or not, it was my bank.
Worse, they used to insist on Internet Explorer.
They have at last crawled into this century.

My games are in happy disarray on my shelves but I kinda doubt my boxed collection will get any bigger.

Gil.

Re: Are boxed versions of games still being produced? - 07/31/13 04:24 AM

It would seem disk versions of Adventure games and RPGs are perhaps still more widely available in the UK ?? As my downloadeds certainly number very few and my game shelves are still getting added to laugh

The Casuals I buy, on the other hand, are almost exclusively downloads but then they mainly come from BigFish smile

Re: Are boxed versions of games still being produced? - 07/31/13 06:38 AM

You are probably right about the availability of boxed games in the UK as opposed to the US, Mad, considering the way Dave at Interact used to have to import them for us.

Gil.
Posted By: Monokuma

Re: Are boxed versions of games still being produced? - 07/31/13 10:28 AM

I have a couple of questions about digital games. You have to excuse me if they are widely known, but I've never bought any digital games so I don't know the rules.

What happens when the company that produces the game closes? As I understand it, an online store gives back to the company that produced the game a percentage of the money. So if that company doesn't exist anymore, does the online store continues to sell the game and keep all the money for themselves, or they stop selling the game and the game disappears?

Can people sell or gift their DRM-free digital games? How can they make sure that the seller doesn't sell the same game multiple times?

Re: Are boxed versions of games still being produced? - 07/31/13 12:56 PM

"Can people sell or gift their DRM-free digital games? How can they make sure that the seller doesn't sell the same game multiple times?"

Yes, you can sell or give away a game you've bought.
That's not to say that you should.
The games on GOG, for instance, are sold with no restrictions.
You buy it, it's yours.
GOG, DotEmu, some others, depend on the buyer's honor.

"So if that company doesn't exist anymore, does the online store continue to sell the game and keep all the money for themselves, or they stop selling the game and the game disappears?"

As long as the rights to a game belong to someone and they've sold those rights or given them, outright or for a percentage of the profits, to an online distributor, the game can continue to be sold.
It's sometimes very tricky to find out who does have the rights to a game.
They can't be sold without them so if a legal owner can't be determined for a game, and it's probably an old one, it won't be available for sale unless it's on disk and being sold someplace like Ebay.

My understanding of it.

Gil.

Re: Are boxed versions of games still being produced? - 07/31/13 02:41 PM

welcome to GameBoomers, Monokuma.

Re: Are boxed versions of games still being produced? - 07/31/13 03:34 PM

Monokumo, welcome to GameBoomers.

Regarding GoG or any other download, you may not sell them or trade them, they are "yours" not meant to be sold or traded.

What you are allowed to do is make a "backup". A backup is just that, it's a backup to save you from having to have to redownload.

As stated on GoG's website:

Quote:
2. Can I re-download my purchased games? Is there a limit to the number of re-downloads?
You can always re-download games bought at GOG.com via the “My account” page. Also, there is no limit to the number of redownloads, but please remember that you're not allowed to share your GOG.com account with other users as only you are entitled to download games from your account.

4. Can I make backups of games downloaded from GOG.com?
Yes you can, and as a matter of fact we strongly recommend you do so – backing up your stuff is a very good habit, you know? Because our games are DRM-free, as soon as you download the setup file, you can back it up on a DVD or your external hard drive without hassle. Plus, as our installers are wrapped in nice .exe files, you can save them all in one folder and create a nice local backup of your games library!
And if you forgot to backup your purchased games, fear not. You can always redownload them from our website for free – see below for more info. Sure, downloading will take a little bit longer than launching an installer from your backup disc, but that's no big deal.

Re: Are boxed versions of games still being produced? - 07/31/13 04:04 PM

Originally Posted By: chrissie
I myself tend to store passwords in a small address book & shortcuts to download games in a folder on my desktop which automatically list in alphabetical order.

As a computer systems professional in RL (former games developer, pharmaceuticals IT consultant, warehousing & logistics programmer, and now financial web systems programmer/designer with a serious interest in online security), I have to say that using a small address book kept securely is FAR and away the safest, most secure, way to store passwords. Never use the same password on two different sites, never store passwords on your PC (or 'in the cloud'). And never, ever, ever send a password by email. (Email is little more than an open postcard that gets copied an un-knowable number of times between you sending it, and it arriving!)

On the other hand, all these people using spreadsheets for organising data make me snigger (not in a bad, offensive, insulting way, I hope), because spreadsheets were meant for the calculating functionality they offer, and that you're all avoiding. What you're talking about is using it as a database - a completely different beast. Still, horses for courses: if the spreadsheet works for you, do it smile (afterall, the guys & gals who invented computers and the web never envisioned GameBoomers, now did they)

Re: Are boxed versions of games still being produced? - 07/31/13 04:30 PM

Ana,

Can and may are two different things.

Just saying.

Gil.

Re: Are boxed versions of games still being produced? - 07/31/13 04:46 PM

Gil, you stated they are sold without restrictions. That is incorrect. It specifically states you may not share your account. That covers copying your disks and selling and trading them. Copying to a disk is for your personal backup only.

It is indeed based on an honor system.
Posted By: GreyFuss

Re: Are boxed versions of games still being produced? - 07/31/13 04:59 PM

Gil, you stated they are sold without restrictions. That is incorrect. It specifically states you may not share your account. That covers copying your disks and selling and trading them. Copying to a disk is for your personal backup only.

It is indeed based on an honor system.

thumbsup

Re: Are boxed versions of games still being produced? - 07/31/13 05:13 PM

I think you know what I mean Ana.
In no way did I say that you are justified in giving away or selling a game you buy though you physically can.
Saying "you may not" isn't going to stop anyone who intends to do either.
As I said, they are relying on the buyer's honor.

Gil.

Re: Are boxed versions of games still being produced? - 07/31/13 05:23 PM

I do understand what you are saying Gil, but to someone reading the post and not not fully processing it it appears as though you are saying they are free to sell or trade. I know from past experiences that many skim posts and I needed to clarify that your statement below is not accurate.

Originally Posted By: traveler
"Can people sell or gift their DRM-free digital games? How can they make sure that the seller doesn't sell the same game multiple times?"

Yes, you can sell or give away a game you've bought.

Gil.

That's like taking a kid to the candy store and they ask if they can eat any candy they see without buying it. You wouldn't say yes you can just because it's physically possible, you would say no because it's the wrong thing to do.

Re: Are boxed versions of games still being produced? - 07/31/13 08:51 PM

Some companies actually have a system to gift digital games to someone else. I bought a couple of games for my sister from Steam that way. The recipient of the gift receives the activation code, and of course, has to have an account with Steam. These are legitimate ways to give someone a legal copy of a game.

Originally Posted By: gremlin
On the other hand, all these people using spreadsheets for organising data make me snigger (not in a bad, offensive, insulting way, I hope), because spreadsheets were meant for the calculating functionality they offer, and that you're all avoiding. What you're talking about is using it as a database - a completely different beast.

Point well taken. I've considered making a database for my game inventory and for my books, but at this point, I haven't wanted to make the effort. What happened with me, was my list started out simple and then just mushroomed. rolleyes

Re: Are boxed versions of games still being produced? - 07/31/13 09:04 PM

"Point well taken. I've considered making a database for my game inventory and for my books, but at this point, I haven't wanted to make the effort. What happened with me, was my list started out simple and then just mushroomed. rolleyes"

I keep a "computer document" (titles listed in alphabetical order) of my game collection and just update it as I acquire or dispose of games.

Knowing from the title what type of game it is I've found that's all I've ever needed.

[ Of course I do keep a back up of it on a tiny flash drive and have to update that too laugh ]

Re: Are boxed versions of games still being produced? - 08/01/13 10:53 AM

Originally Posted By: lanlynk
Point well taken. I've considered making a database for my game inventory and for my books, but at this point, I haven't wanted to make the effort. What happened with me, was my list started out simple and then just mushroomed. rolleyes

I've heard that reason many times wink

Regarding the gifting thing, Gamers Gate sometimes (maybe always, I've only bought one game from them so can't categorically state 'always') offer the ability to gift the game you've just bought to a friend if you do it within five minutes. I bought Skyrim from them in a sale, but didn't notice this facility until about ten minutes afterwards frown
Posted By: Monokuma

Re: Are boxed versions of games still being produced? - 08/01/13 01:17 PM

The thing I don't understand is why the companies, especially the small ones, refuse to sell their games on physical media. And let's assume that retail distribution isn't worth their trouble, then why don't they sell hand-made physical releases, like WadgetEye Games? I can't accept that a company able to produce a video game can't afford a $100 printer and a $20 dvd burner. After all we as customers are willing to pay the extra cost plus the shipping, so it doesn't really affect their earnings.

And as for retail releases, how come I can find retail versions in all the major European languages EXCEPT English? How can localized retail versions in Italian, French, German, Spanish, Russian etc be financially viable while an English retail isn't? There are 50mil Italian speaking people, whereas there are 500mil native English speaking people and about 500mil with English as a secondary language. East European, Middle Eastern and African countries all play games in English too.

When gamers ask for boxed versions, people and companies label them "collectors" or even worse "hoarders" and look down upon them. In all the kickstarters I have ever checked out the lowest tier for a physical version is the $100 tier (without counting shipping most of the times), and the logic behind it is that if you're a collector you must be willing to spend big money. But having the game on a disc isn't collecting. 10-15 years ago the same companies based their campaigns against piracy by telling us how stupid it is to have a game on a no-name cdr with its name handwritten with a marker on top of it, instead of a nice big box with nice artwork and goodies inside. And now they are selling us exactly that, refusing us the alternative.

And as for adventure games, how come every low budget casual hidden object game gets an English retail release, but NOT if it is a full fledged adventure game?

Re: Are boxed versions of games still being produced? - 08/01/13 09:34 PM

Monokuma,

For all your questions: it is purely economics.

Re: Are boxed versions of games still being produced? - 08/02/13 05:47 AM

Monokuma it's a bit more complicated that a $100 printer and a $20 DVD burner. Someone has to design the graphics for the box, and someone has to approve it. A graphics firm would more than likely be hired to design several possible covers, and submit them for approval.

And you'll find that your $100 printer isn't going to print the necessary graphics for as heavy material used for boxed games. This work would more than likely be farmed out since the necessary printers would be very cost prohibitive.

As to the $20 DVD burner, which burns one DVD at a time. How about a DVD burner that has the capability of burning 20 or more an hour--as an example. This is something else that would be farmed out to those companies which do this as their business.

Someone deciding to get into the business of producing games can't afford all the machinery necessary to do what I described above. Nor can they afford the upkeep those machines would need. And machinery isn't their only concern. There may also be rent, salaries, utilities, suppliers, etc.

Most of these companies are bare bones companies which are counting every penny in order to stay in business. Even a down turn in their product can threaten their very existence.

A person would think it an easy process to provide boxed games. But unless a person has had a business, they don't realize all that must be considered, especially in such a market as computer games.

Re: Are boxed versions of games still being produced? - 08/04/13 05:08 PM

Ridiculous. Okay.. okay... that's the way things are now... yes. Understood. But ridiculous.

When books are sold, they're read, and then they're either kept or given away. The recipients are often local libraries or other charities (Goodwill, Scouts, SPCA, etc.). The authors and publishers made their money on the initial purchase. Never has there been such a discussion about secondary ownership.

Re: Are boxed versions of games still being produced? - 08/04/13 05:25 PM

Carrie, thumbsup

The problem here rises when legitimate ownership transfer after burning a game to disk and eventually giving it away or selling it to recover a little of the cost, which you and I think is perfectly alright, gets confused with burning multiple copies of a game with actual intent to defraud.
After all, we're generally not able to print multiple copies of a book.

I totally understand what you're saying. Why be embarrassed about a perfectly legit opinion? Lol! That red faced thingie by your name has to go!

Gil.

Re: Are boxed versions of games still being produced? - 08/04/13 07:06 PM

Gil~ There's no "wry-faced" grin or a "smirk" choice (closer to what I really wanted)... a half-smile... something like this :/ and the other smiles or angry faces didn't cut it. So I opted for a rosy-cheeked grin, despite its being called "embarassed" (I'm not).

On the subject of being regulated~
When I was a kid, my mom drove a bunch of us kids to the beach- piled in a nifty old WWII Jeep. Summer sunshine, breeze, no special seating, no seatbelts. Even before that, as a tot, I used to stand on the front seat of our old '51 Ford wedged behind my dad's shoulder as he drove. No accidents. But for those who did get into accidents, we got the laws to follow. Today everybody gets seatbelted-in; is body-scanned for air travel, etc.... laws created because bad things happened. And now because there are those who have little regard for an honor system, we have digital laws. I get it. But still... it was great to live in a time when there were still a few things that were un-regulated.

Re: Are boxed versions of games still being produced? - 08/05/13 06:23 AM

People will only have honor when they see honor on display, and/or when it's something to be proud of having. Too many have given the impression of having honor only to be found out later lying through their teeth. Too many have found out that by holding onto their honor they are ridiculed for having antiquated ideas, something that is of no value, something that doesn't provide entertainment for those who lack the mentality to understand how far into the gutter they've slunk.

And because of all this, this lack of knowing something would never be misused or stolen, we now have to have laws so those who forget this fact can be taken to task. And because of this, it puts more burdens on those who the laws were never intended. Those who still understand that if it doesn't belong to you, you don't bother it, take it, or claim it to be your own.

And until it once again becomes "fashionable" to have honor, we will have to live with those laws already on the books and possibly more to come. But by then this small lack of holding onto ones honor is going to be a slight blip compared to more pressing concerns.

Re: Are boxed versions of games still being produced? - 08/05/13 11:16 AM

What a complicated world we live in. Laws, good or bad, are open to interpretation. People will challenge them, ignore them,
or obey them. Hopefully in the end they will do the right thing. Respect for others is important. That's a good place to start to correct some of the questionable activity with "ownership" of games.

Re: Are boxed versions of games still being produced? - 08/05/13 02:40 PM

Sadly, I feel we are a long way past seeing any kind of "Honour" in the brutal world of "Profit Margins" sad

Re: Are boxed versions of games still being produced? - 08/06/13 06:11 AM

So very true, Mad.
© 2024 GameBoomers Community