GB HOMEPAGE

Profanity

Posted By: Beerhead

Profanity - 10/07/13 06:33 PM

Cognition game-whats with all the swear words?You don't hear Sherlock using those words.A real turnoff.
Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

Re: Profanity - 10/07/13 06:39 PM

Some have more than others, I agree. I do not know if it is overused in Cognition so I can't comment.

I'm prone to saying my share of 4 letter words but not thrown loosely in a regular conversation. It annoys me when they overdo it in games and TV shows.

Ana wave
Posted By: hamer

Re: Profanity - 10/08/13 06:37 AM

With what is going on in the game
Click to reveal..
brother killed and father kidnapped and all the stuff going on with poor Erica, I think the swearing fine...lol

I think in this case it ads a little realism to the game....Sherlock is a much classier character and nothing would phase him to that degree. He is calm and analytical.

I think it ads to the character development.
I am sure most will disagree But in this case I think it is warranted
Posted By: mj2c

Re: Profanity - 10/08/13 11:53 AM

Different eras. Holmes is set at a time when profanity wasn't really used (In the Lit. of the time) whereas Cognition is set in modern times where it would be highly unusual if it *wasnt* used. I find it less shocking as its overuse has diluted its effect to a large degree.

Oddly, swearing at work/home doesn't even register but if I hear someone f'in and blinding in the street that jars more for some reason.
Posted By: Rushes

Re: Profanity - 10/08/13 12:18 PM

ACD occasionally had Holmes mumble a curse just out of Watson's hearing range. I think the strongest word we ever hear him say is "[blip]" or "damned".

Edit: Holmes just got blipped by GB. lol
Posted By: mj2c

Re: Profanity - 10/08/13 12:58 PM

Must have been shocking :-)
Posted By: Mad

Re: Profanity - 10/08/13 02:30 PM

rotfl
Posted By: Jenny100

Re: Profanity - 10/08/13 04:53 PM

Originally Posted By: Beerhead
Cognition game-whats with all the swear words? You don't hear Sherlock using those words. A real turnoff.

Some developers feel they have to have swearing to make the game "realistic" -- even if the game isn't realistic in other ways.

About the only thing you can do if you're put off by excessive swearing in a game is to ask about how much swearing there is in the game before buying -- and then not buy it if there's too much. If a developer has put too much swearing in one of their games, be sure to ask about their other games before purchase.
Posted By: bermag45

Re: Profanity - 10/08/13 06:12 PM

I once asked a shop assistant "Is there excessive swearing in this game?" and he replied "No, now push off you sad old f**t". Life is so unfair at times! duh

Bernie happydance
Posted By: margob

Re: Profanity - 10/08/13 11:36 PM

rotfl
Posted By: Darleen03

Re: Profanity - 10/09/13 12:58 AM

I don't condone swearing in games, but its not as bad....I will not buy a game if I see it has sexual scenes... shame

All in all ..Times are changing with Adventure games....I think the developers want other types of an audience... duh

Re: Profanity - 10/09/13 01:04 AM

You loved Al Emmo Darleen and that had some interesting adult content and sex scenes. duh
Posted By: Darleen03

Re: Profanity - 10/09/13 01:12 AM

YES I agree...But If we get too comfortable with this kind of content, how far will it go.. duh

Re: Profanity - 10/09/13 01:20 AM

Variety is the spice of life. They can't all be the same because we all have different tastes.

Re: Profanity - 10/09/13 11:43 AM

I feel game developers must be free to include whatever content they prefer yes

But we customers are also free to buy or not buy what we are offered whistle
Posted By: Draclvr

Re: Profanity - 10/09/13 02:10 PM

What Mad said is the way I feel... While I possess the vocabulary of a sailor, I seldom use it. I am very comfortable with profanity and even sex in a game if it it used appropriately within the context of the game. The very idea of Geralt in The Witcher being a "goodie two-shoes" does not bear thinking about, right Mad?!

Re: Profanity - 10/09/13 02:36 PM

"The very idea of Geralt in The Witcher being a "goodie two-shoes" does not bear thinking about, right Mad?!"

Oh, definitely !! rotfl
Posted By: Terri824

Re: Profanity - 10/12/13 05:16 PM

Thanks for the heads-up Beerhead. Doesn't sound like something I want purchase!
wave
Terri
Posted By: LeBelleRachael

Re: Profanity - 10/13/13 03:02 AM

Well Lets just hope that they don't start making games with Gordon Ramsey or Miley Cyrus in them!....We would have to give up gaming!!!! OMG! cry.....Ahem!
Posted By: Marticus

Re: Profanity - 10/14/13 08:51 AM

You'll probably want to avoid The Wolf Among Us then, very profane.
© 2024 GameBoomers Community