GB HOMEPAGE

Pagoda game database possible changes

Posted By: Kickaha

Pagoda game database possible changes - 11/01/13 11:46 PM

I maintain Pagoda (http://www.pagodagamedatabase.com), a database of links for Adventure games. If you use this please see http://www.alofmethbin.com/Articles/Games/Pagoda/backlog.html, and if you have any comments or suggestions feel free to contact me.
Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

Re: Pagoda game database possible changes - 11/02/13 12:43 AM

Thanks kickaha for such a great website.
Posted By: margob

Re: Pagoda game database possible changes - 11/02/13 02:06 AM

thanks kickaha, i've had pagoda in my bookmarks for years yes thumbsup

margo wave
Posted By: GreyFuss

Re: Pagoda game database possible changes - 11/02/13 03:51 AM

Hi Kickaha

Thank you for all the time and hard work you do for us on your fabulous web site and thank you for asking our opinion.

Item #1. Yes/Maybe/No, colors are fine with me as I can read everything easily and are used to them. But a change might be interesting, after all you could change back.

Item #2. No

Item #3. Not at all necessary for me.

Item #4. Yes, I don't play casuals and since new ones are being released hourly they get in the way of the lists and searching.

Re: Pagoda game database possible changes - 11/02/13 10:55 AM

Thanks all, and particularly Greyfuss for taking the time to give me that useful feedback!
Posted By: oldman

Re: Pagoda game database possible changes - 11/02/13 04:14 PM

Your site is a very informative and useful site. Thanks for maintaining and upkeeping it.

Here are my thoughts.
Idea 1: I think the colors are fine.

Idea 2: Does not interest me all that much.

Idea 3: Sounds like a good idea to me

Idea 4: I agree.

Idea 5: Not sure I understand the idea but I would be interested In knowing whether it was a slideshow or a platform game.
Posted By: GreyFuss

Re: Pagoda game database possible changes - 11/02/13 04:37 PM

Originally Posted By: Kickaha
Thanks all, and particularly Greyfuss for taking the time to give me that useful feedback!

Your very welcome Kickaha, its the least I could do for someone who devotes so much time for us.

I see that I completely missed slapforehead replying to...

Idea #5. For me, it is not necessary to classify games as indie, slideshow or to give platforms etc. But that being said dividing them into PC/Mac. Casual or Handheld might help especially if you can filter out what you are not looking for. Hmmm, does that make sense?

Re: Pagoda game database possible changes - 11/02/13 05:55 PM

Thanks Greyfuss - I'll think about additional filtering. The platform info I currently have isn't thorough enough. Adventure or casual I can do I think.
Posted By: Jenny100

Re: Pagoda game database possible changes - 11/02/13 07:22 PM

Quote:
Idea 1: Change the background and colours on the Pagoda site. One complaint I've had is that the background is too dominant.

No. They are fine as is. I hate it when sites I go to suddenly look completely different. I've always thought PAGODA was exceptionally clear compared to most websites. I wouldn't object to the option of using an "alternate colors" button as long as the original color scheme was an option.

Quote:
Idea 2: List foreign games which haven't been released in English. So far I've never done this.

Maybe in a separate section. Mostly your site is for English-speakers though.

Quote:
Idea 3: List links from more websites. Suggestions as to which websites welcome.

Not something I've ever looked for on your site. If you do it, I'd hope you'd only list the best ones, or those that have a particular feature that is useful and rare. List every possible site and you get the needle-in-the-haystack problem.

Quote:
Idea 4: Catalog games as either Adventure or Casual type and allow filtering of the games listed by type.

Very useful. Even for casual games that are casual adventures, they don't play the same as "old-fashioned" type adventures.

Quote:
Idea 5: Remove the attempt to classify games as indie or slideshow or to give platforms etc. This information at best is incomplete and at worst misleading.

System requirements are useful. If you don't have a Nintendo, you aren't likely to want a list of the Phoenix Wright games made for Nintendo. If you have a Mac, maybe you'd want games for OS X listed separately from games for PC or games made for Mac OS 9 and earlier. I assume most people who use the filtering are going to use your site to see what games they haven't played yet that they might want to look for. So I'd say to provide what information you have unless you have reason to believe it's erroneous.

Re: Pagoda game database possible changes - 11/02/13 07:52 PM

Thanks Jenny - that's good feedback! Platforms are a challenge - even indicating that a game is PC or Mac isn't enough to say it's playable on someone's system.

Re: Pagoda game database possible changes - 11/03/13 12:05 PM

Another question if I may - should the default filtering be just Adventure games?
Posted By: Winfrey

Re: Pagoda game database possible changes - 11/03/13 04:04 PM

Thanks for all your effort and your concerns on how to improve and ask for input.
1. Colors are fine
2. Not necessary
4. Yes
5. Not necessary

and default.. yes
Thanks again Kickaha.

Re: Pagoda game database possible changes - 11/03/13 06:09 PM

Thanks Winfrey
Posted By: Jema

Re: Pagoda game database possible changes - 11/05/13 05:02 AM

Kickaha, I've used Pagoda for years - I'd be lost without it. Thank you for all the time
and effort you put into maintaining it for us. Also, thanks for asking for our opinions.

Idea 1: The colors are fine as is - everything is easy to read and easy on the eyes.
I hate going to a site where the text color is so close to the background color or so
light or glaring, I have to highlight everything in order to read it.

Idea 2: Not unless they're separate, or easily filtered out.

Idea 3: If you mean the links under Reviews and Walkthroughs, I think you already
have a very good selection.

Idea 4: An excellent idea.

Idea 5: What Jenny100 said.

Additional Question: Yes to the default filter being Adventure Games.

wave Jema

Re: Pagoda game database possible changes - 11/05/13 06:32 PM

Thanks Jema appreciate that!
© 2024 GameBoomers Community