GB HOMEPAGE

Probably frivolous question

Posted By: traveler

Probably frivolous question - 11/24/13 08:53 AM

What the heck are the Steam "achievements" that people are so overjoyed to get?

Gil.
Posted By: Kaki's Sister

Re: Probably frivolous question - 11/24/13 11:07 AM

headscratchYou got me Gil. I have no idea! headscratch
Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

Re: Probably frivolous question - 11/24/13 04:03 PM

It's the same as the achievements in Collector's Edition of Casual games. You get them for doing things that for the most part (but not always) is not required for the completion of the game. It means you were most thorough and examined and found things not required.

For instance if you talk to a parrot that is just sitting on a perch or finding a developer logo on a painting you may unlock an achievement. Some people take that very seriously and will continue to replay in order to unlock them all others could care less. It's a personal thing.

Ana wave
Posted By: MaG

Re: Probably frivolous question - 11/24/13 04:10 PM

It's a chore for walkthrough writers (well some writers...) on a schedule. lol

Re: Probably frivolous question - 11/24/13 04:24 PM

rotfl I feel your pain MaG!

Ana wave

Re: Probably frivolous question - 11/24/13 04:49 PM

Thanks for the explanation, Ana. praise
Now I realize what Gerry and I have been missing.
Oh, darn.

Gil.
Posted By: Jenny100

Re: Probably frivolous question - 11/24/13 08:57 PM

Check the reviews for Montague's Mount at GOG
http://www.gog.com/game/montagues_mount

and you'll see why some gamers consider "Achievements" to be objectionable.
Posted By: oldbroad

Re: Probably frivolous question - 11/24/13 10:00 PM

I was wondering what they were also traveler and I agree with your "Oh, darn". lol

Re: Probably frivolous question - 11/24/13 11:04 PM

We must be sisters under the skin, oldbroad. lol

What tickles me is the number of serious gamers who (they say) wouldn't play a casual game if you twisted their arms but seem to love to get achievements on Steam.
People are funnier than anybody, as my mom used to say. grin

Gil.
Posted By: Kaki's Sister

Re: Probably frivolous question - 11/25/13 11:38 AM

Thanks Ana for the explanation. I take you won't know if you "achieved" achievements until the end of the game?
Posted By: misslilo

Re: Probably frivolous question - 11/25/13 01:58 PM

Yes you do.
For Steam games you can check online the second you get one.
It keeps tracks for you smile
Posted By: oldman

Re: Probably frivolous question - 11/25/13 04:19 PM

I'm surprised that know one has mentioned Easter Eggs. It seems to be that the same philosophy would apply. There are those who, upon finding out there are Easter Eggs attempt to find every one in the game. The difference being achievements are listed.

Re: Probably frivolous question - 11/25/13 04:20 PM

You can check out the lists by game here.

It will tell you what the achievement is and how many people have discovered it.
Posted By: Darleen03

Re: Probably frivolous question - 11/25/13 04:44 PM

There are several achievements to accomplish in Diablo III...

I keep going back to find them.. Drives me NUTS crazy

Re: Probably frivolous question - 11/25/13 11:44 PM

Originally Posted By: oldman
I'm surprised that know one has mentioned Easter Eggs. It seems to be that the same philosophy would apply. There are those who, upon finding out there are Easter Eggs attempt to find every one in the game. The difference being achievements are listed.

A more annoying difference is that "Achievements" are blatantly thrust in your face with a flashing announcement covering up part of the screen and reminding you in no uncertain terms that you're ONLY playing a game. Say goodbye to suspension of disbelief.

Easter eggs are generally much more subtle. At least they always used to be, and it was pretty special when you found one. Not like getting an "achievement" simply for having reached a certain point in the game or having collected a certain number of unnecessary items of the same kind.

The option to play a game without the achievements flashing in your face or showing themselves in any other way would be a bonus.
Posted By: misslilo

Re: Probably frivolous question - 11/26/13 12:37 AM

On steam games all achievements are just a little rectangle in lower right corner, which is easily missed unless you actually look for it.

I actually never noticed them, when I first started playing a game through Steam.
So not all games thrust them in your face on screen smile

Re: Probably frivolous question - 11/26/13 01:21 AM

I don't do Steam, but I'd certainly notice a rectangle in the corner that's nothing to do with the rest of the game.

Re: Probably frivolous question - 11/26/13 03:50 AM

"...it was pretty special when you found (an Easter Egg)." -quoting Jenny100.

I know I hooted when the Batmobile came roaring out of Hagatha's cave in Romancing the Throne.
It was totally unexpected and fun.

Even in a casual game, I can't be bothered to peek under every rock to get all the coins or rose petals or whatever that means I'm super observant.
I'd rather just play the game.

Gil.
Posted By: flotsam

Re: Probably frivolous question - 11/26/13 07:24 AM

If you ever find yourself on the darkside, I have to say I found some of the achievements in Dead Space 2 not only callously fun and amusing, but a welcome "suspension" of the fact this wasn't a game.
© 2024 GameBoomers Community