GB HOMEPAGE

Calling all Tex Murphy Fans!

Posted By: bigmamma1

Calling all Tex Murphy Fans! - 11/29/13 04:23 PM

happydanceBlack Friday sale at GOG!

I just got 3 Tex Murphy games for $2.99 each.
If anyone still exists on the planet who has not played these great "tounnge-in-cheek" film noir type games with down-in-the-heels post appocalypse detective Tex M. now's your chance.

I sold all my boxed games because new computer cant play them but thanks to wonderful DRM free GOG I can finally enjoy them again yay
Posted By: Marian

Re: Calling all Tex Murphy Fans! - 11/29/13 05:13 PM

Woohoo!! turkey dance
Posted By: Orfyn

Re: Calling all Tex Murphy Fans! - 11/30/13 01:20 PM

I just got my first Tex Murphy from GOG. Wow! Great game. I never could find them in boxes. Well worth the wait. Can't hardly wait for the next one to down load.

Re: Calling all Tex Murphy Fans! - 12/01/13 05:49 PM

You're in for a real treat. Enjoy! happydance
Posted By: BubbaJake

Re: Calling all Tex Murphy Fans! - 12/02/13 08:10 PM

With the exception of Mean Streets and Martian Memorandum which I only have through GOG, I have ALL the Tex games (and books) in multiples, original versions, replacement versions, and gog versions. I am a certified Tex nut, but I can hold off getting anything new (except maybe the novelization of a 'Tesla' book). I would scarf that up so fast, if there was one...
Posted By: plumgas

Re: Calling all Tex Murphy Fans! - 12/04/13 08:27 AM

Gog have now released the dvd installer, looks beautiful
Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

Re: Calling all Tex Murphy Fans! - 12/04/13 10:30 PM

FYI - News from Big Finish:

Quote:
Good news! Our friends at GOG.com have released an updated version 'Overseer' that now includes the higher-quality DVD version of all video sequences — the way they were meant to be seen! A great way to get ready for 'Tesla Effect'!

Re: Calling all Tex Murphy Fans! - 12/08/13 11:07 PM

wave Thanks for all your replys!
I don't imagine I got the DVD version though at those prices
Looking forward to playing 3 great games, but which one to play
first? decisions, decisions think

Re: Calling all Tex Murphy Fans! - 12/08/13 11:11 PM

Gog does not sell DVD's. You have to burn them to a DVD yourself.

Ana wave
Posted By: Melia

Re: Calling all Tex Murphy Fans! - 12/08/13 11:28 PM

Originally Posted By: BrownEyedTigre
Gog does not sell DVD's. You have to burn them to a DVD yourself.

Ana wave

How do you do that?

Re: Calling all Tex Murphy Fans! - 12/09/13 12:00 AM

Please ask in Glitches. They can help you burn it to DVD.

Ana wave

Re: Calling all Tex Murphy Fans! - 12/09/13 12:08 AM

Originally Posted By: bigmamma1
wave Thanks for all your replys!
I don't imagine I got the DVD version though at those prices
Looking forward to playing 3 great games, but which one to play
first? decisions, decisions think

gog released the dvd version after the $2.99 special price so you will need to download it again.

Re: Calling all Tex Murphy Fans! - 12/09/13 03:04 PM

Bigmamma I think you should start with Under A Killing Moon. It's shorter and easier, but it gets you ready for Pandora Directive. I played Pandora first and sort of regretted it, UAKM is so short compared to it. I'm getting excited for you!
Posted By: Mad

Re: Calling all Tex Murphy Fans! - 12/09/13 04:16 PM

Under a Killing Moon is still my favourite Tex Murphy - and I've played all five laugh

REALLY looking forward to the new one but hoping it stays close to the others in so many ways yes

Re: Calling all Tex Murphy Fans! - 12/09/13 05:27 PM

Thanks Ana-for clarifying about the DVD issue. I have not downloaded Tex
yet, so does that mean I get a "DVD version" when I do the download?

WOW Mad! there's going to be a new one?!

Re: Calling all Tex Murphy Fans! - 12/09/13 05:51 PM

bigmamma, you can check out the new Tex Murphy Here.

I'll let Gil or someone who bought the Gog version to explain the DVD version.

Ana wave
Posted By: traveler

Re: Calling all Tex Murphy Fans! - 12/09/13 06:26 PM

bigmamma,

Here's the GOG page for UAKM.
I have no idea if it's a "DVD version" or not but GOG really backs up their games so I don't think you'll have any problem with it.
Read all the reviews and see what other people have said about it.
It's got a 4 1/2 out of 5 star rating from over 1400 gamers which is pretty darned good.

Have you bought games from GOG?
It's super simple.
They have the fastest checkout of any site I've been on and they do not save your debit or credit card number, which is a big plus for them in my view.
Once you've bought it, if you don't have the GOG downloader, there's a link to get it on the game download page and it makes downloading a game really fast, depending on your connection, of course.
You only have to dl the downloader once; after that, they update it whenever they have a new version.
The downloader has to be open before you click on the game and any goodies you want.

You really don't have to burn the game to disk unless you just want to.
GOG puts the game on a virtual shelf for your account and you can get it again any time you want to.
There is no restriction on the number of times you can download it; the game is always there for you.

If you just want a hard copy and you have Windows 7, it has a built in utility to burn games to disk.
Just go get some DVD-R disks large enough...and most are, I think...to hold the game (UAKM is 1.2 GB) and stick one in your computer.
Then navigate to the GOG downloads folder in My Documents, put a check beside the game setup and any other files you want on the disk, such as the manual or any of the other bonus goodies and any update or patch, then hit Burn in the bar above between Email and New Folder.
After that, you just follow directions.
It's not hard at all.

Best!

Gil.

Re: Calling all Tex Murphy Fans! - 12/09/13 06:33 PM

Thanks, Gil: very informative. thumbsup

Re: Calling all Tex Murphy Fans! - 12/11/13 12:11 AM

thanks again Ana for the heads up, and Gil for the explanation about DVD recording.
Yes, I do have a GOG account-isn't it great? I just love it. I have about 30 games on
my "shelf" and have played 7 of them. My only complaint is the long download times,
so I thought if I wanted to replay some it would be nice to be able to dl them from a disk. wave

Re: Calling all Tex Murphy Fans! - 12/18/13 03:03 PM

A new tesla effect trailer was released 2 days ago,

http://youtu.be/_wnAayWwLEI

Re: Calling all Tex Murphy Fans! - 12/18/13 03:21 PM

Thanks, plumgas! happydance12

Re: Calling all Tex Murphy Fans! - 12/18/13 04:48 PM

Yes. I watched that trailer. And very nice it was too, to see Tex in all his glory santadance santadance santadance

Re: Calling all Tex Murphy Fans! - 12/19/13 12:08 AM

rahWOW! New Tex looks great-thanks Plumgas.
I have fired up Pandora Directive and hope to replay all three by the time new one comes out.
IMO, these games are among the real gems of the gaming world,even with the old graphics and controls.

Re: Calling all Tex Murphy Fans! - 12/19/13 01:11 PM

well how about the latest in game screen shot, you will be walking around in the rooms in real time.
http://texmurphy.com/images.php?p=ingame

Re: Calling all Tex Murphy Fans! - 12/19/13 08:16 PM

Lovely !! Thanks, plumgas santadance
Posted By: Melia

Re: Calling all Tex Murphy Fans! - 12/21/13 04:30 AM

Beautiful pictures, plumgas. Thanks.
Posted By: troi

Re: Calling all Tex Murphy Fans! - 12/27/13 08:07 AM

Originally Posted By: Mad
Under a Killing Moon is still my favourite Tex Murphy - and I've played all five :D
R

Definitely my favorite TM game as well. It was my first "by myself" game so that it being short short was a real plus. I think the humor comes through best in UAKM too.

Re: Calling all Tex Murphy Fans! - 12/27/13 09:10 AM

Hi troi smile12

You must solve stuff quicker than I do then as I don't think of UAKM as short at all lol12

Cheers.

Mad happydance12
Posted By: flotsam

Re: Calling all Tex Murphy Fans! - 12/28/13 12:36 AM

And relative to today's games, it is positively epic in length!

Re: Calling all Tex Murphy Fans! - 01/01/14 04:54 PM

heartsHello to all-
Just an update to comment on how much I'm enjoying Pandora Directive (the only Tex game
I havn't played before)Even with the old FMV movie type graphics, the humor and the story
line are so great that you just get pulled into it.So glad I bought 3 of them! Also brings back memories of when I first
discovered adventure games way back when-around 2001 I think, when the old WIN 98 computer
could play the games that came out in late 1990's.
Also amazed at the great job GOG has done remapping(?) an old game to play flawlessly
on newer systems. urockGOG!

Re: Calling all Tex Murphy Fans! - 01/01/14 10:03 PM

I, for one, an REALLY glad to hear how much you're enjoying Pandora Directive! I still love this game. It was my first Tex game (played Under A Killing Moon second and sort of missed the larger more exciting game, though I still liked the story line). It excites me just to hear about someone else' pleasure entering the Tex universe!
Posted By: Salar of Myst

Re: Calling all Tex Murphy Fans! - 01/03/14 06:52 AM

I got in on that GoG sale too. I have the disks for the old Tex Murphy games but had trouble setting them up. I am looking forward to revisiting Tex :D

Re: Calling all Tex Murphy Fans! - 01/16/14 12:26 AM

A step-by step breakdown of what goes into a Visual Effects shot in Tesla Effect: A Tex Murphy Adventure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2faoOiVkWo&feature=youtu.be

Re: Calling all Tex Murphy Fans! - 01/16/14 04:19 PM

Thanks, plumgas. wave

Re: Calling all Tex Murphy Fans! - 01/16/14 05:19 PM

thanksPlumgas
Cant wait to play this one-still looks like the old Tex, thank goodness grin
I'm still with Tex in Pandora Directive and finally made it to Roswell eek
Posted By: GreyFuss

Re: Calling all Tex Murphy Fans! - 01/17/14 03:04 PM

Originally Posted By: plumgas

A step-by step breakdown of what goes into a Visual Effects shot in Tesla Effect: A Tex Murphy Adventure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2faoOiVkWo&feature=youtu.be

Thanks Plumgas

That was very interesting to see the different layers they have to go through and that is for just one shot.
© 2024 GameBoomers Community