GB HOMEPAGE

Riddle of the Sphinx real-time 3D - new level

Posted By: jeff

Riddle of the Sphinx real-time 3D - new level - 04/10/14 12:41 PM

Greetings everyone! I wanted to reach out and say hello to anyone who remembers me smile It's been quite a journey for our family over the past few years - all very good but for another time to tell. For now, we wanted to update you one our new found hope of being able to develop adventure games again.

Contrary to how it was after Omega Stone, we have been VERY encouraged by the support of Adventure Games via crowd funding sites, like Kickstarter. We have also had a lot of interest in both a new game and ROTS in real-time 3D - updated and live!

We thought our days of developing adventure games were over due to lack of publisher interest and/or sufficient funding, but I'm actually hopeful that we could not only develop ROTS real-time 3D but a new game as well. And we have been preparing for a Kickstarter campaign for our ROTS 15th anniversary edition in real-time 3D.

So I guess I'm asking all of you. Are you interested in playing Riddle of the Sphinx in real-time 3D in HD graphics, real-time torches, and truly unlimited exploration? Plus expanded gameplay that never made it into the original release? Actually we're testing the player's choice to carry a torch and light as they go or keep it pre-lit the whole way. I have to admit, I'm even looking forward to being able to look up and around at the chamber's ceiling and in the corners, and to pickup the artifacts. BUT that could just be us. So, we're asking you. Do any of you have interest?

If there is interest, we're ready. So far we have a small portion of Riddle playing in the Unity engine and it's gorgeous!

Thanks for your help... you were and are very dear to us. Although I'm not sure who's still around these days. Looking forward to touching base smile

--------------

Originally Posted By: Jeff on April 22,2014
Well, it's official!! happydance

The Riddle of the Sphinx real-time 3D 15th Anniversary Edition Kickstarter page is LIVE at https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jefftobler/riddle-of-the-sphinx-an-egyptian-adventure-in-real

Hope you enjoy what we've put together thus far. Please spread the word and help us re-build Riddle of the Sphinx smile

And THANK YOU all so much for your support!

Jeff, Karen, Charlie, and Christian (Riddle 3D Team)
Posted By: sarahandus

Re: Riddle of the Sphinx real-time 3D - new level - 04/10/14 01:05 PM

I loved both RTOS and Omega Stone, they don't play nice with my computer anymore.
Don't know about 3D, but I would certainly welcome anything you want to make.
Hopefully you will get the funding.
Posted By: colpet

Re: Riddle of the Sphinx real-time 3D - new level - 04/10/14 01:27 PM

Best news of the day. I loved Riddle of the Sphinx and it would be a treat to be able to play it again.
Posted By: MaG

Re: Riddle of the Sphinx real-time 3D - new level - 04/10/14 02:16 PM

wave Jeff,

It's so nice to see you back here as well in adventure games.

It would be great to have your classic game available again and played in newer machines!
Posted By: Jenny100

Re: Riddle of the Sphinx real-time 3D - new level - 04/10/14 02:29 PM

I don't know about the realtime 3D part, but I'd like to be able to play Riddle of the Sphinx on a modern computer without needing an emulator or having the problem with the robot and the Queen's Chamber.

The trouble with realtime 3D in a first person game is that it gives some of us motion sickness. It would be nice to have an option for a point-and-click interface with fixed screens (like the original) as an optional alternative to the realtime 3d (moving) screens. Cyan (developer of Myst) did something similar with their 3D interface -- giving a point-and-click option. Scratches (though it wasn't a realtime 3D game) had an option to use either a fixed or panning mode.
Posted By: Marian

Re: Riddle of the Sphinx real-time 3D - new level - 04/10/14 02:34 PM

Originally Posted By: MaG
:It would be great to have your classic game available again and played in newer machines!

I agree. And it's great to hear from you. thumbsup
Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

Re: Riddle of the Sphinx real-time 3D - new level - 04/10/14 04:03 PM

I would love an updated game, I am hesitant about 3D though because I do get nauseous with it.

Ana wave

Re: Riddle of the Sphinx real-time 3D - new level - 04/10/14 06:09 PM

Originally Posted By: Jenny100
I don't know about the realtime 3D part, but I'd like to be able to play Riddle of the Sphinx on a modern computer without needing an emulator or having the problem with the robot and the Queen's Chamber.

The trouble with realtime 3D in a first person game is that it gives some of us motion sickness. It would be nice to have an option for a point-and-click interface with fixed screens (like the original) as an optional alternative to the realtime 3d (moving) screens. Cyan (developer of Myst) did something similar with their 3D interface -- giving a point-and-click option. Scratches (though it wasn't a realtime 3D game) had an option to use either a fixed or panning mode.

Jenny, great input. Yes, we have already planned on offering a point-n-click simulated navigation. So that should solve the motion-sickness issue, while still allowing all of the real-time effects, interactivity, and effects.

Btw, the robot in the Queen's chamber will have an extended feature in the anniversary edition, if everything goes as planned.

Originally Posted By: BrownEyedTigre
I would love an updated game, I am hesitant about 3D though because I do get nauseous with it.

Ana wave

Hi Ana! As I said to Jenny, we will have an option to point-n-click to move forward, etc, so it should solve this for many, while still affording all the eye candy of the real-time engine.

Re: Riddle of the Sphinx real-time 3D - new level - 04/10/14 06:46 PM

Thank you Jeff! That would be awesome.

Ana wave
Posted By: Chief

Re: Riddle of the Sphinx real-time 3D - new level - 04/10/14 06:57 PM

Ready to play your game. dance

Chief wave
Posted By: marie

Re: Riddle of the Sphinx real-time 3D - new level - 04/10/14 07:03 PM

A updated ROTS game would be wonderful, ROTS started my interest in adventure games and I would look forward to playing it again and again.

Marie happydance

Re: Riddle of the Sphinx real-time 3D - new level - 04/10/14 07:19 PM

Thanks, Marie. Your testimony inspires us smile Riddle was the first game and had success because of the community at Gameboomers and others. The new Riddle 3D is exciting because it's what we had envisioned originally, but technology wasn't there at the time.
Posted By: revco

Re: Riddle of the Sphinx real-time 3D - new level - 04/10/14 07:26 PM

I'm a big fan of Riddle of the Sphinx. I bought it when it came out and I've played it recently. I would love to see an updated version. smile
Posted By: kazzmo

Re: Riddle of the Sphinx real-time 3D - new level - 04/10/14 08:52 PM

One of my all time favorites. An updated version would be great. happydance
Posted By: dianne

Re: Riddle of the Sphinx real-time 3D - new level - 04/10/14 10:03 PM

would love to see Riddle of the SPHINX REAL TIME3D -new level
I have the older version but it doesn't work on my new windows here.
thanks dianne wave
Posted By: GreyFuss

Re: Riddle of the Sphinx real-time 3D - new level - 04/10/14 11:20 PM

Count me in as one of the gamers who loved Riddle of the Sphinx and would jump at the chance of playing an updated version. However, I would much prefer a new, different, game (as long as it was 1st person) with all these updated ideas for your crowd funding Kickstarter and if all goes well a remake of ROTS after. At any rate welcome back and welcome back your passion for adventure gaming.
Posted By: Mad

Re: Riddle of the Sphinx real-time 3D - new level - 04/11/14 01:08 AM

Definitely interested !! rah

Re: Riddle of the Sphinx real-time 3D - new level - 04/11/14 01:31 AM

Originally Posted By: GreyFuss
Count me in as one of the gamers who loved Riddle of the Sphinx and would jump at the chance of playing an updated version. However, I would much prefer a new, different, game (as long as it was 1st person) with all these updated ideas for your crowd funding Kickstarter and if all goes well a remake of ROTS after. At any rate welcome back and welcome back your passion for adventure gaming.

Thanks, GreyFuss. One of the reasons it would be better for us to do ROTS 3D first is that we can spend time getting very familiar with the engine as most of the assets for Riddle already exist. Plus we can flesh out the details, puzzles, etc. for the next NEW game while finishing ROTS 3D. If you can wait until ROTS 3D is released, I think it will make for a much better, polished new game.

But I'm still listening. This is our thought at the moment. We have had a lot of interest in ROTS being updated and improved upon. Thanks for your feedback. We REALLY appreciate it!
Posted By: fredaz

Re: Riddle of the Sphinx real-time 3D - new level - 04/11/14 10:35 AM

I just tried to play ROTS but stopped because the graphics were to problamatic to put up with. So if you want to rejuvinate the game My thanks go to you. I will buy a newer version when it becomes available.
Posted By: Kaki's Sister

Re: Riddle of the Sphinx real-time 3D - new level - 04/11/14 10:52 AM

Jeff what exciting news! Riddle of the Sphinx and Omega Stone were an introduction to fantastic adventure games for me. I still have the original versions on disk and can still play them on my old XP computer.
My new computer is an iMac so I do hope there will be a version available for it.
Good Luck with redo of the games. wave

Re: Riddle of the Sphinx real-time 3D - new level - 04/11/14 01:05 PM

Originally Posted By: Kaki's Sister
Jeff what exciting news! Riddle of the Sphinx and Omega Stone were an introduction to fantastic adventure games for me. I still have the original versions on disk and can still play them on my old XP computer.
My new computer is an iMac so I do hope there will be a version available for it.
Good Luck with redo of the games. wave

Thank you! Yes, the new version should play very well on your iMac. When you play the new real-time version you will be experiencing our mind's eye when we created the game. We're very excited about what the experience will be... for the first time, truly exploring these rooms as realistically as possible while still maintaining an enjoyable creative license.

Re: Riddle of the Sphinx real-time 3D - new level - 04/11/14 01:16 PM

Originally Posted By: fredaz
I just tried to play ROTS but stopped because the graphics were to problamatic to put up with. So if you want to rejuvinate the game My thanks go to you. I will buy a newer version when it becomes available.

Fredaz, I sympathize with you. Depending upon which release you're playing, the graphics are not what they should be. The very first release was the highest quality. Then we had to compress further down for a future release. But even compared against the original release, these new graphics are simply stunning! I thought I might be burned out on it, but everything that made this exciting in the beginning is exciting me once again.

One of the points behind ROTS was to simply afford the player to play the part of an archaeologist truly discovering what plausibly could exist beyond what we know. We set out to make that happen. A lot of time was spent on the engineering behind how a room would be built or supported by columns, stone slabs, etc. I wanted it to feel "real" and yet, even then, the way the existing structures have been built is still somewhat a mystery. More like "amazing" to me. I'm sure we could've done better, but what we really wanted is now available.

Plus, there are two other components that didn't make it into the game, in addition to gameplay and puzzles. These are the background behind the other characters and the history significance of many of the objects you see and interact with in Riddle. We're thinking about including an educational mode where these objects can we identified and studied.
Posted By: jfcwilson

Re: Riddle of the Sphinx real-time 3D - new level - 04/11/14 10:45 PM

ROTS was the first adventure game I ever played. I think both a new game and a realtime version would be absolutely fantastic and I would be first in line to play. You have my support!

Re: Riddle of the Sphinx real-time 3D - new level - 04/12/14 10:37 AM

I'm happy to hear it will play on my iMac Jeff. I'll wait as long as it takes to play your wonderful games again! They are true adventure classics! Another new one would be fantastic too! Lots of Luck! thumbsup
Posted By: Gamer

Re: Riddle of the Sphinx real-time 3D - new level - 04/12/14 04:09 PM

Originally Posted By: jeff

Jenny, great input. Yes, we have already planned on offering a point-n-click simulated navigation. So that should solve the motion-sickness issue, while still allowing all of the real-time effects, interactivity, and effects.

Btw, the robot in the Queen's chamber will have an extended feature in the anniversary edition, if everything goes as planned.

Originally Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

Ana wave

Hi Ana! As I said to Jenny, we will have an option to point-n-click to move forward, etc, so it should solve this for many, while still affording all the eye candy of the real-time engine.

I agree with both Jenny and Ana's posts so am really glad we will have the option for the point and click. I loved both of those games but would not be able to do the 3D so thats great news. grin
Posted By: judith

Re: Riddle of the Sphinx real-time 3D - new level - 04/12/14 08:02 PM

Oh! that would be great. Your timing is wonderful, because I just tried to install ROTS yesterday, but it wouldn't work. Big Fish has the game for download, so I tried the demo of it, alas it wouldn't work either, so I will certainly be buying this. Thank you.

Re: Riddle of the Sphinx real-time 3D - new level - 04/12/14 08:49 PM

Originally Posted By: judith
Oh! that would be great. Your timing is wonderful, because I just tried to install ROTS yesterday, but it wouldn't work. Big Fish has the game for download, so I tried the demo of it, alas it wouldn't work either, so I will certainly be buying this. Thank you.

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble installing the old ROTS, but it's not a surprise. Thanks for your vote of confidence. We are close (days away) from launching now, and feel as though the overwhelming response is positive.

If you can hold on a little while, the new experience will outweigh what you would've played yesterday. Although the original was the best we could do at the time, my jaw keeps dropping at what we're able to do with the 15th anniversary real-time 3d edition!

Thanks again for your support... to all of you! laugh

Re: Riddle of the Sphinx real-time 3D - new level - 04/13/14 10:19 AM

I'm holding Jeff as long as it takes. thumbsup
Posted By: sanford

Re: Riddle of the Sphinx real-time 3D - new level - 04/14/14 03:55 AM

Hi Jeff,
I think it would be advisable for you to put out an actual DEMO of the updated game so we could all try it on our individual computers. That way, each of us would know if it WILL or if it WON'T work on our computers. I can tell you that if it runs on MY computer, I will be the first one on line to purchase it.
Sandy
Posted By: Iurii

Re: Riddle of the Sphinx real-time 3D - new level - 04/14/14 04:46 PM

jeff, those are great news indeed, thanks a lot! "Riddle of the Sphinx" is one of my favorite games, and I am anxiously waiting for your Kickstarter campaign and for 'The Scroll' to be unrolled!

However, I am a little bit cautious about the ROTS 3D-remake. First, I am very fond of its Russian version (as well as that of 'Omega stone'), and I am afraid it would be too much to ask for a decent translation of the remake into many other languages.

And second, after playing the new Real Myst remake in Unity, well, I just went back to good old 2D Myst smile While Cyan did make an option to choose between 'free roaming' WASD and point-and-click interfaces, both ways of playing Unity-Myst were rather uncomfortable for me. I hope your remake would be better! Anyway, I still have the original Russian version of ROTS, and it runs just fine on my Windows 7 x64.

Re: Riddle of the Sphinx real-time 3D - new level - 04/15/14 08:37 AM

Originally Posted By: sanford
Hi Jeff,
I think it would be advisable for you to put out an actual DEMO of the updated game so we could all try it on our individual computers. That way, each of us would know if it WILL or if it WON'T work on our computers. I can tell you that if it runs on MY computer, I will be the first one on line to purchase it.
Sandy

Hi Sandy, I wish we could put out a demo before the KS campaign, but I just don't think it will be feasible. Not even sure I will have the time during... BUT If I can, I will. While we are utilizing the latest in technology, we are not living on the bleeding edge with this one either - all in the hopes that more will be able to enjoy the game. If you can PM or post your specs, I can try to give you an answer as to whether or not you would be able to play ROTS 3D.

Originally Posted By: Iurii
jeff, those are great news indeed, thanks a lot! "Riddle of the Sphinx" is one of my favorite games, and I am anxiously waiting for your Kickstarter campaign and for 'The Scroll' to be unrolled!

However, I am a little bit cautious about the ROTS 3D-remake. First, I am very fond of its Russian version (as well as that of 'Omega stone'), and I am afraid it would be too much to ask for a decent translation of the remake into many other languages.

And second, after playing the new Real Myst remake in Unity, well, I just went back to good old 2D Myst smile While Cyan did make an option to choose between 'free roaming' WASD and point-and-click interfaces, both ways of playing Unity-Myst were rather uncomfortable for me. I hope your remake would be better! Anyway, I still have the original Russian version of ROTS, and it runs just fine on my Windows 7 x64.

Hi Iurii smile I think I can address both of these. I will review the russian localization (I'm the one who programmed the localizations as they came), but we are planning (if we can meet a stretch goal that would cover these add'l costs) on localizing the game to as many languages as possible. This was an afterthought with the original ROTS, but now we are pre-planning how to localize.

To your second point, in my opinoin, the 3d version is MUCH better than the original, graphically and environmentally speaking. And I have a generally low view of real-time 3D. But it's finally getting really, really good and accessible to gamers with "everyday" computers these days as opposed to the few in the past who had to have a NASA control center of a gaming setup. wink

Plus, we are not just plopping ROTS in a real-time 3D engine, but actually improving upon models, textures, adding detail that we either didn't or couldn't at the time, and the list goes on. Right now, we are examining the old models and textures, talking through the enhancements as we look at each chamber. I'm personally excited about the few chambers I've been working on in our initial feasibility R&D. So, I think - HOPE - you'll like it

But in another sense, we understand that the original will still have a certain look and feel that is worth keeping around for sentimental reasons and preference. Because of that, we are also planning on an enhanced edition of the original - point-n-click and everything the way it was, but higher-resolution graphics, richer colors, and support to play on iPad (possibly iPhones), too. This may come during or after ROTS 3D. It all depends on the campaign. And ironically, the iPad version was going to be the KS campaign, but we were more and more convinced ROTS needed to go 3D. I hope we don't disappointed you smile

Re: Riddle of the Sphinx real-time 3D - new level - 04/15/14 10:57 AM

"But in another sense, we understand that the original will still have a certain look and feel that is worth keeping around for sentimental reasons and preference. Because of that, we are also planning on an enhanced edition of the original - point-n-click and everything the way it was, but higher-resolution graphics, richer colors,...."

Jeff keeping the redo like the original with the better graphics is the way to go in my opinion. Better graphics for me means a visually more enjoyable game
Posted By: Iurii

Re: Riddle of the Sphinx real-time 3D - new level - 04/15/14 03:12 PM

Jeff, thanks for your answer! Of course, I am not 'disappointed'. I think I will like any kind of your remake smile

Just one more thing about localizations to make my doubts more clear - you see,15 years ago there were not so many games out there so that to translate one into another language was quite more serious deed than it is now. For several years already I have not seen a single adventure game with a decent localization into Russian - I mean with all the voices, not just subtitles. Somehow a full localization is considered to be too expensive now. And ROTS with its many tape recordings (and no subtitles for them) makes rather difficult target for non-complete localization.

Re: Riddle of the Sphinx real-time 3D - new level - 04/15/14 03:12 PM

But in another sense, we understand that the original will still have a certain look and feel that is worth keeping around for sentimental reasons and preference. Because of that, we are also planning on an enhanced edition of the original - point-n-click and everything the way it was, but higher-resolution graphics, richer colors, and support to play on iPad (possibly iPhones), too. This may come during or after ROTS 3D.

I'm getting confused here.
Do you mean the point-and-click version will be a separate game?
Are you making a point-and-click version that is not 3D, while the 3D version will have options for either point-and-click or keyboard/gamepad control.

Re: Riddle of the Sphinx real-time 3D - new level - 04/15/14 06:24 PM

But in another sense, we understand that the original will still have a certain look and feel that is worth keeping around for sentimental reasons and preference. Because of that, we are also planning on an enhanced edition of the original - point-n-click and everything the way it was, but higher-resolution graphics, richer colors, and support to play on iPad (possibly iPhones), too. This may come during or after ROTS 3D.

I'm getting confused here.
Do you mean the point-and-click version will be a separate game?
Are you making a point-and-click version that is not 3D, while the 3D version will have options for either point-and-click or keyboard/gamepad control.

Jenny, I'm glad you asked. I'll try to clear things.

ORIG SLIDE-SHOW BASED GAME FORMAT UPDATED FOR TABLETS AND NEW OS:
At some point, we are wanting to update and enhance the original point-n-click version - still graphics, same interface, same limitations though - but so that it would both play on todays Win and OS X as well as on iPad and tablets. This version would probably/hopefully have higher-res stills (retina support), but it would not have anything more than exists today. This version will most likely not happen if we don't fund for ROTS 3D, however, I've begun some work toward this, too. The new enhanced images are really beautiful for what they are.

NEW REAL-TIME 3D ROTS WITH ADDED DETAILS, LEVEL, AND GAMEPLAY:
The 15th anniversary edition is going to be totally redone in real-time 3D. It's a whole different experience - better in my opinion. Were the confusion may lie is in us providing a point-n-click "experience" within the 3D environment for those who get motion sick with real-time 3d navigation. But the user could at anytime decide to look wherever they so choose. There is so much that we wanted ROTS to be in the beginning that just wasn't possible then, but will be in the new version.

Our intention in the end is to offer both versions to the world: the classic version and the total immersion version.

Does this further muddy or clear up the Nile waters? smile

Originally Posted By: Iurii
Jeff, thanks for your answer! Of course, I am not 'disappointed'. I think I will like any kind of your remake smile

Just one more thing about localizations to make my doubts more clear - you see,15 years ago there were not so many games out there so that to translate one into another language was quite more serious deed than it is now. For several years already I have not seen a single adventure game with a decent localization into Russian - I mean with all the voices, not just subtitles. Somehow a full localization is considered to be too expensive now. And ROTS with its many tape recordings (and no subtitles for them) makes rather difficult target for non-complete localization.

Well, I think I have those recordings (I'll have to dig around to find them). But if I do, that makes our job much easier. I just have no idea how our KS will be received. If we can reach our ultimate stretch goals, there will be no problem doing all of this.

Re: Riddle of the Sphinx real-time 3D - new level - 04/16/14 09:59 AM

Both version you propose sound great Jeff. I think I would like the 15th anniversary edition for that new experience!

Re: Riddle of the Sphinx real-time 3D - new level - 04/16/14 04:46 PM

NEW REAL-TIME 3D ROTS WITH ADDED DETAILS, LEVEL, AND GAMEPLAY:
The 15th anniversary edition is going to be totally redone in real-time 3D. It's a whole different experience - better in my opinion. Were the confusion may lie is in us providing a point-n-click "experience" within the 3D environment for those who get motion sick with real-time 3d navigation. But the user could at anytime decide to look wherever they so choose.

Is the point-and-click 3D version going to be snapshot/slideshow style?
I hope any transitions between nodes can be either slowed down or turned off.

Perceived height off the ground seems to have an effect too -- the higher off the ground my point-of-view, the less the motion sickness. For example, in Uru -- the point-of-view is higher up when you have Uru set to see your character on the screen and I didn't have much problem playing in that mode. However I wasn't able to play Uru in 1st person mode (character not visible onscreen) where the point-of-view is lower to the ground. Once I tried playing an action/adventure, where the point-of-view was VERY low to the ground, and within seconds I got motion sickness so severe I couldn't continue -- and that was several years ago, when I was less prone to motion sickness in games.

I guess different things may provoke motion sickness in different people, but the ability to change your perceived height from the ground might help some people. I don't know how difficult it would be to implement with the game engine you're using though.

Re: Riddle of the Sphinx real-time 3D - new level - 04/21/14 06:36 PM

Thanks for your reply, Jeff. I do realize that it would be too EARLY in the process to put out a DEMO right now. As far as the "specs" of my computer, in the past I've been told that a particular game will NOT work on my computer, but I tried the DEMOS, and they DID work after all. I hope that you WILL put out a demo in the future after you get the game developed to YOUR satisfaction. GOOD LUCK!
Sandy

Re: Riddle of the Sphinx real-time 3D - new level - 04/22/14 07:24 AM

Well, a big THANK YOU to all of you for your input, encouragement to move forward, and the love you've always shown us smile If everything goes as planned, we are launching our Kickstarter campaign for Riddle 3d tomorrow. We have a video demo of one of the chambers in real-time 3d so you can see the detail and quality compared to the original. We're very excited by this and can't wait for you to experience Riddle of the Sphinx in real-time 3D! Thanks again laugh
Posted By: 3dobermans

Re: Riddle of the Sphinx real-time 3D - new level - 04/22/14 02:39 PM

Just have to add my two bits; ROTS was the first adventure game I ever played and was mesmerized by it. It was also the game that led me to GB for help.
I'll be waiting for whatever you decide to put forth.
Thank you.
Posted By: GreyFuss

Re: Riddle of the Sphinx real-time 3D - new level - 04/22/14 06:03 PM

Count me in Jeff. I am anious for the Kickstarter kick=off and to take a look at that video. thumbsup

Re: Riddle of the Sphinx real-time 3D - new level - 04/22/14 10:48 PM

Well, it's official!! happydance

The Riddle of the Sphinx real-time 3D 15th Anniversary Edition Kickstarter page is LIVE at https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jefftobler/riddle-of-the-sphinx-an-egyptian-adventure-in-real

Hope you enjoy what we've put together thus far. Please spread the word and help us re-build Riddle of the Sphinx smile

And THANK YOU all so much for your support!

Jeff, Karen, Charlie, and Christian (Riddle 3D Team)
Posted By: Marian

Re: Riddle of the Sphinx real-time 3D - new level - 04/22/14 10:55 PM

Exciting! I just watched the videos and it all looks great. I hope your Kickstarter meets its goal, and beyond. thumbsup
Posted By: MaG

Re: Riddle of the Sphinx real-time 3D - new level - 04/22/14 11:27 PM

Done! and luck Jeff.

Re: Riddle of the Sphinx real-time 3D - new level - 04/23/14 01:45 AM

WOW! What a GREAT video demo, Jeff. Quite a difference from the original. Can't wait to get it. I will be first on line to purchase it. GOOD LUCK on your campaign.
Sandy

Re: Riddle of the Sphinx real-time 3D - new level - 04/23/14 02:37 PM

What a difference in 3D !! Absolutely stunning !! Love it yay
Posted By: marie

Re: Riddle of the Sphinx real-time 3D - new level - 04/23/14 03:36 PM

I'm backing you Jeff, luck with the goal, I've got your back lol

Marie wave
Posted By: colpet

Re: Riddle of the Sphinx real-time 3D - new level - 04/23/14 06:49 PM

Just backed the project. Hope to see some of the stretch goals.
Posted By: ssgamer

Re: Riddle of the Sphinx real-time 3D - new level - 04/24/14 04:39 AM

Just backed the project hoping for a great turn out. The Riddle was the first game I ever played, as I spent time working on a computer, and didn't want to take work home, but after spending a couple of times in Egypt with the Archaeology Institute Of America, great tours by the way, I bought the game after I came back in 2001 and have been hooked ever since. Archery paid the way, but Egypt was the dream.
Charllotte

Re: Riddle of the Sphinx real-time 3D - new level - 04/24/14 01:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Marian
Exciting! I just watched the videos and it all looks great. I hope your Kickstarter meets its goal, and beyond. thumbsup

Thanks for looking it over with another set of eyes smile We're working hard on getting the word out. Yes, we need to meet as much of the stretch goals as possible.

Originally Posted By: MaG
Done! and luck Jeff.

Thank you so much, MaG, for your support! Everyone here shouts a little "hooray!" when the backer bell goes off smile

Originally Posted By: sanford
WOW! What a GREAT video demo, Jeff. Quite a difference from the original. Can't wait to get it. I will be first on line to purchase it. GOOD LUCK on your campaign.
Sandy

Thank you, Sandy, for your vote of confidence. It is amazingly deeper, richer, and REAL smile This is how we envisioned it all along.

Originally Posted By: Mad
What a difference in 3D !! Absolutely stunning !! Love it yay

Mad, you said it. I'm sure I'm biased, but as objective as we can be, we can't believe how the whole visual and virtual experience is so familiar but as though the veil as been lifted with this version. I can't wait to finish the Giza Plateau area!!

Originally Posted By: marie
I'm backing you Jeff, luck with the goal, I've got your back lol

Marie wave

Marie, you're awesome! Thank you for your support smile We're "pressing" into the media these next few days to get the word out. Let us know if you have any suggestions.

Originally Posted By: colpet
Just backed the project. Hope to see some of the stretch goals.

Colpet, THANK YOU for helping us meet our goals. Every little and big pledge is one step closer to funding Riddle in real-time 3D. We are hopeful it will happen, but we also know we will be laboring during this time to get the word out. Really appreciate your help!

Originally Posted By: ssgamer
Just backed the project hoping for a great turn out. The Riddle was the first game I ever played, as I spent time working on a computer, and didn't want to take work home, but after spending a couple of times in Egypt with the Archaeology Institute Of America, great tours by the way, I bought the game after I came back in 2001 and have been hooked ever since. Archery paid the way, but Egypt was the dream.
Charllotte

Charllotee, Riddle was more than just a game for us. We had that archaeology, Egyptology, and all things mystery bug in as we began to develop the ROTS. I think this time around, with the virtual exploration that much more realistic and fully accessible via real-time 3D, just the first part of the game will be an asset to those who've never visited the Sphinx and been inside the Great Pyramid. I spent so much effort getting every little detail in there just so (except for the graffiti - lol!). Thanks again. smile

Posted By: manxman

Re: Riddle of the Sphinx real-time 3D - new level - 04/24/14 02:08 PM

Looks fantastic Jeff. As with many other people, RotS was the first adventure game that I played and I had the additional enjoyment of playing it with my 7 year old son at the time. We had great fun with it then and have both developed into serious gameplayers since. RotS will always be a special game to us. We would be only too happy to back you in this endeavour. Thank you. smile

Re: Riddle of the Sphinx real-time 3D - new level - 04/24/14 04:49 PM

Just done my pledging happydance

But as I haven't had time to read everything that's been posted about the project everywhere and do, whenever possible, like to burn downloads to disk, may I ask if the download will be DRM Free ??

Re: Riddle of the Sphinx real-time 3D - new level - 04/24/14 11:53 PM

Originally Posted By: Mad
Just done my pledging happydance

But as I haven't had time to read everything that's been posted about the project everywhere and do, whenever possible, like to burn downloads to disk, may I ask if the download will be DRM Free ??

Thank you, Mad, for your support! And that's a great question - YES, Riddle 3D will be DRM free. You may freely make as many copies for yourself as you wish. The pirates will steal either way. All of our games have been pirated since the beginning. We're thinking of a creative warning in the beginning of the game for those who might be tempted to steal the game. wink But it will not be protected by DRM.

Re: Riddle of the Sphinx real-time 3D - new level - 04/25/14 02:49 AM

Thanks for your prompt reply, Jeff, and for your confirmation that the game will be DRM Free .. although I DO only want to make ONE copy !! laugh

[And that only so that I don't need to keep the download permanently on my machine.]

All the best with the Kickstarting luck

Re: Riddle of the Sphinx real-time 3D - new level - 04/25/14 06:32 PM

The pirates will steal either way. All of our games have been pirated since the beginning. We're thinking of a creative warning in the beginning of the game for those who might be tempted to steal the game.

I hope you won't do that. As you said yourself, DRM has never stopped any real pirates -- and neither would accusing everyone who plays your game of piracy. It will only start the game on a sour note. It will make some people sad to be reminded that there are people who are enjoying the fruits of your labor without helping to support you. It will insult those people who interpret the warning as an unfounded accusation. And it won't stop any real pirates.

Re: Riddle of the Sphinx real-time 3D - new level - 04/27/14 01:54 AM

The pirates will steal either way. All of our games have been pirated since the beginning. We're thinking of a creative warning in the beginning of the game for those who might be tempted to steal the game.

I hope you won't do that. As you said yourself, DRM has never stopped any real pirates -- and neither would accusing everyone who plays your game of piracy. It will only start the game on a sour note. It will make some people sad to be reminded that there are people who are enjoying the fruits of your labor without helping to support you. It will insult those people who interpret the warning as an unfounded accusation. And it won't stop any real pirates.

Oops, sorry. I didn't mean we would be accusing anyone. We did something similar in the very beginning: thanking those who had supported us and encouraging those who might not have to consider supporting the creators of these games (and any other type of creative endeavor). Anyway, I didn't mean any offense by it. Thanks for the feedback, Jenny smile
Posted By: lakerz

Re: Riddle of the Sphinx real-time 3D - new level - 04/28/14 02:32 AM

I sure hope those on the sidelines decide to back this game, because I really would like to explore an updated ROTS in full 3D!
Posted By: Gamer

Re: Riddle of the Sphinx real-time 3D - new level - 05/06/14 01:30 PM

I really hope more people jump on the bandwagon. Only a little over $4,000 has been raised with only 16 days to go.

Truly a great game and it would be such a shame if it missed its mark.

Re: Riddle of the Sphinx real-time 3D - new level - 05/06/14 04:46 PM

THere is an updated thread here.

Re: Riddle of the Sphinx real-time 3D - new level - 05/07/14 12:18 AM

Originally Posted By: Gamer
I really hope more people jump on the bandwagon. Only a little over $4,000 has been raised with only 16 days to go.

Truly a great game and it would be such a shame if it missed its mark.

While all of your support has been crucial and much appreciated, we were not getting the numbers we needed to fund... that is until a few hours ago when Rand of CYAN mentioned to their backers to check out our project. Since then, we've seen a rapid increase in backers - new at 125 backers and almost to $6,000 in just a few hours this afternoon. smile Hope it continues this way and we can fund.

We are so grateful for all of you, and the new backers, and of course for the mention by CYAN. This has given us a renewed hope wink

Btw, if you haven't yet, I posted a new chronology trailer - it's similar to what was in the original but much better and more compelling. And we have been researching the dates since the original and have updated to be closer to some new evidence we found literally days ago - we are SO excited about this new information. It will be a major focus of the new release.

The NEW trailer is here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jefftobler/riddle-of-the-sphinx-an-egyptian-adventure-in-real

Blessings,

Jeff
Posted By: venus

Re: Riddle of the Sphinx real-time 3D - new level - 05/07/14 12:31 AM

Jeff, that's great news! thumbsup

Re: Riddle of the Sphinx real-time 3D - new level - 05/07/14 05:58 AM

luck !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thumbsup

Re: Riddle of the Sphinx real-time 3D - new level - 05/07/14 10:20 AM

Fantastic Jeff!
© 2024 GameBoomers Community