GB HOMEPAGE

Ether One....what a game

Posted By: robedits

Ether One....what a game - 05/15/14 11:51 AM

Boomers: If you haven't yet played this (DRM-free at GOG),get it. Plenty of reviews around touting its' greatness. One of the most original games to be produced in a LONG time.
We want these folks to make MORE games,trust me. Get the word out if you know other gamers (old and young).
Nothing like challenging your mind and enjoying a beautiful game at the same time!
Rob NYC
Posted By: kjos

Re: Ether One....what a game - 05/15/14 12:25 PM

Looks like a great game but it won't play on my pc. It requires 4 GB of ram and I only have 3 GB of Ram. To bad.
Richard

Re: Ether One....what a game - 05/15/14 12:43 PM

It DOES need a somewhat newer rig to play it properly, but the recommendation specs are listed. Sorry you can't enjoy it properly.
Posted By: Jessa

Re: Ether One....what a game - 05/16/14 12:21 AM

robedits,

This is from a GOG review:

Quote:
As a 'Restorer,' you are actually exploring the mind of a patient suffering from dementia. What information you do collect is rarely obtuse, and tells you just enough without stooping to exposition, fitting with the theme of the game.

Does that mean the game is creepy or scary?
Posted By: Reenie

Re: Ether One....what a game - 05/16/14 02:17 AM

Rob, I looked at a trailer on GOG and it is very appealing. Thanks for posting this. My questions before I spring for it:

1. Is there anything to be gained by going for the "Deluxe" edition if you only want to play the game and don't give a hoot for all their screensavers and comics and stuff?

2. Is there any timed or arcade stuff in the game?

3. Have you finished it yet? What is the approximate playing time?

Thanks again!

Re: Ether One....what a game - 05/16/14 12:25 PM

I don't care for any peripherals,so "deluxe" doesn't mean anything for me.
I just want to play the game. No timed or arcade stuff that I can recall. The game is a tad creepy,but the storyline is very "edgy",somewhat sad at times, and at times very moving.
Environments,partially cell-shaded and extremely beautiful, are well-done. THe fact that there are TWO ways to approach "finishing" the game is a first for me,and should be applauded. One can "rush" (though it's not really a rush at all) through the game to meet the minimum goals (not giving anything away that can't be found out online)...still takes a while and you need to let the story sink in.
The alternate "goals" are to complete the various puzzles (Myst-like but not as obtuse)to "unlock" projectors (see online for explanations), which allow you (the doctor examining the patient's life) to delve deeper into the game's subject matter. Very clever in-game manipulation (objects, machinery,enviroment) towards the latter goal. I STILL haven't completed all the "projectors" (by way of solving things to gain access to said projectors), so although I did finish the main game,I"m still going back and re-visiting environments and still trying my best to solve some of the "puzzles".
In short,this gorgeous,mind-challenging and thought-provoking game can be easy to complete...or difficult. It can be somewhat short to complete,or,in my case...very long (in a good way). I'm doing my best not to look at online videos to help solve things.
Yes,I do have a top of the line computer (a gift given to me for long-time service to my television network,or else I'd still be using my 6-yr old PC which served me just fine)...so on my PC,the game runs without any glitches. I cant answer for playing this game on a lesser rig.
I DO know a friend of mine (I've convinced four or five other gamer friends and my brother to buy this game;it's THAT good) who does NOT have a top of the line computer (a Dell like my older one that's still very serviceable),and with some minor adjustments she got the game to run just fine on high settings.
Nowadays,you kind of need a newer rig to run the newer games anyway.
I cant really compare this game to any others. THe graphics have a unique look, the story is unique, the goals are,shall I say..."different". And the fact that two approaches can be taken to complete the game is unique as well.
THe most enjoyable game I've purchased in a while, and I hope this team makes more games.
Posted By: Reenie

Re: Ether One....what a game - 05/16/14 05:35 PM

Thanks for the thorough feedback. It sounds like my cuppa. I love a long and pesky game with puzzles that are real brain teasers and not just find-all-the-pieces. If someone is not shooting at me at the same time, more's the better! happydance
Posted By: Jessa

Re: Ether One....what a game - 05/17/14 02:25 AM

Thanks for the help, robedits. A thorough rundown of the game.
Posted By: Avalivo

Re: Ether One....what a game - 08/30/14 08:39 PM

Hello everybody
I'm playing Ether One on Xp and with only 3 Go RAM without any problem and i don't understand why the specifications are so high, it seems to be a mistake
I believe there is a demo somewhere to try the game
This game is a jewel. If you like the huge mazes, beautiful graphics and difficult puzzles, you will appreciate Ether One
It is the most pleasant and exciting game i played (except Yoomurjak's Ring) since Rhem. The first chapter (in the medical center, one hour) is only a tutorial, but when you begin the real game, it's wonderful.
No game over, no scary moments, no challenges of time, pure joy
I'm french and very sad that I can't play Ether One in my own language. Many things remain incomprehensible.
I guess It's very long because I have played already 18 hours (and I'm far from the end), without counting the hours out of the game,when I'm thinking about it :-)

PS : I didn't find a review about this game . Did somebody make one ?
Posted By: Marian

Re: Ether One....what a game - 08/30/14 08:49 PM

Thanks so much for your impressions of the game, Avalivo; I'm sure your thoughts will be of interest to other players.

You can find some reviews of the game here. wave

Re: Ether One....what a game - 08/30/14 10:16 PM

Re: Ether One....what a game - 08/30/14 10:19 PM

Avec plaisir. wave
Posted By: UruKat

Re: Ether One....what a game - 08/31/14 02:26 PM

Has anyone found a demo for this game? Just want to make sure my laptop will play it. Someone said it requires 4GB of RAM, but GOG says it's 1.1GB.
Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

Re: Ether One....what a game - 08/31/14 02:49 PM

No demo available Urukat.

Ana wave

Re: Ether One....what a game - 08/31/14 02:51 PM

Thanks BrownEyedTigre.....I have a fairly new laptop with 4GB RAM, so I think it should play on it.
Posted By: Bert

Re: Ether One....what a game - 09/02/14 04:16 PM

It's a great game, nicely paced. It was made by white paper games, an indie group out of Manchester uk. There website says they are working on a new game and will announce sometime in near future...

Re: Ether One....what a game - 09/02/14 04:24 PM

Thanks for the info, Bert. wave

Re: Ether One....what a game - 09/12/14 02:46 PM

GOOD NEWS!! GOG has Ether One on sale right now for $7.99!! rah
Posted By: MooeyG

Re: Ether One....what a game - 09/12/14 11:45 PM

I have downloaded a number of games from GOG. I will certainly give this a look through.

Re: Ether One....what a game - 09/12/14 11:50 PM

Originally Posted By: UruKat
GOOD NEWS!! GOG has Ether One on sale right now for $7.99!! rah

Thanks for letting us know. wave
Posted By: Jenny100

Re: Ether One....what a game - 09/14/14 08:24 PM

If anyone is interested in Ether One, GOG has it on sale for 60% off this weekend -- $7.99 for the standard version and $11.99 for the "deluxe" version.

Originally Posted By: UruKat
Has anyone found a demo for this game? Just want to make sure my laptop will play it. Someone said it requires 4GB of RAM, but GOG says it's 1.1GB.

1.1 GB is the size of the game download, not the RAM.
Under "Minimum System Requirements" GOG says "Memory: 4 GB RAM"

Originally Posted By: Avalivo
I'm playing Ether One on Xp and with only 3 Go RAM without any problem and i don't understand why the specifications are so high...

Keep in mind that it requires less memory (RAM) to run XP than it does to run Vista, Win7 or Win8.
So the requirements for Windows and the game together are going to be somewhat less with XP than with Vista/7/8.

***System requirements for XP***http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314865
64 MB RAM for XP (but at least 128 MB RAM recommended)

***System requirements for Windows 7***
1 gigabyte (GB) RAM (32-bit) or 2 GB RAM (64-bit)

So though the game may run fine on XP with 3GB RAM, it may not run as well on Vista/7/8 with only 3GB RAM. How smoothly the game runs will also depend on the speed of your video card.

Re: Ether One....what a game - 09/15/14 05:43 PM

I bought the game for $7.99 on GOG and been playing it for several hours now. It has taken me a while to get the hang of how it works, but it is quite good.........very different from anything I have played before. It has a slight "Myst-like" quality to it IMHO. Lots of places to explore and you don't really know exactly what you are supposed to do, but you figure it out as you go along.
I highly recommend it. thumbsup

Re: Ether One....what a game - 09/25/14 06:20 PM

Hello everybody
I belong to a little team who has translated into french a few games we liked.
I tried to contact the creators of White paper games because we want to do it for Ether One but it doesn't seem that they receive the mails sent on the site
Does anybody have a valid address ?

Thank you
(and thank you, Jenny, for the precisions about the requirements !)
Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

Re: Ether One....what a game - 09/25/14 06:49 PM

Avalivo, I will PM you their email but they really don't answer communications so don't be surprised if you don't hear back.

Re: Ether One....what a game - 09/25/14 07:15 PM

oK :-)
Posted By: TJL

Re: Ether One....what a game - 10/15/14 12:15 PM

I totally agree what robedits and Avalivo say about this game.

It took me 42 hours to complete the game without any use of walkthrough. Maybe I should have played it in shorter sessions, I often figured out the solution during break. But anyone finishing this game under 20 hours can consider her/him smart. The area to inspect is huge considering a vital item lie in any drawer or under any hat, and there are many of them.

What makes it even more difficult is that you don't have a clear set of goals, you have to figure out what your tasks are to complete each area and then fulfill them. But during the game I never felt afraid of totally lusing the clue. This game really tests your memory and offers use for paper and pen, you never know when you might need that note.

I would recommend this game for persistent gamers only. The more you give your time to this game and think by yourself, the more you get. I simply pity those who call this great game a walking simulator, they have totally missed everything what's great in it.

Now it's time for some sim-racing before next adventure.

Timo
Posted By: TRM

Re: Ether One....what a game - 10/19/14 03:07 AM

I played Ether One last year. I agree completely, it was a really great experience! The scenery was beautiful and full of movement. The narration was exceptional. All of this with such a reasonable price. I went back and replayed it several times, trying different things and looking at all the scenery.

OOPS...
Ether is not the game that I played ... my mistake... sorry.

Re: Ether One....what a game - 10/19/14 02:29 PM

Originally Posted By: TRM
I played Ether One last year. I agree completely, it was a really great experience! The scenery was beautiful and full of movement. The narration was exceptional. All of this with such a reasonable price. I went back and replayed it several times, trying different things and looking at all the scenery.

OOPS...

So what was this game you played?
Posted By: Rushes

Re: Ether One....what a game - 10/19/14 02:35 PM

Originally Posted By: Jenny100
Originally Posted By: TRM

OOPS...

So what was this game you played?

Sounds a bit like Dear Esther to me. think

Re: Ether One....what a game - 10/19/14 05:45 PM

Originally Posted By: Rushes
Sounds a bit like Dear Esther to me.

Or it could have been a few others -- Montegue's Mount, or Miasmata, or Vanishing of Ethan Carter, or that other one that I forgot the name of that was more of a horror game and took place outdoors at night. They seem to have formed a new subgenre -- 1st person point-of-view, realtime 3D FPS-type movement, "realistic" graphics and animations, few if any puzzles, mostly uncovering the story through exploration.
Posted By: Rushes

Re: Ether One....what a game - 10/19/14 06:51 PM

Originally Posted By: Jenny100
Originally Posted By: Rushes
Sounds a bit like Dear Esther to me.

Or it could have been a few others -- Montegue's Mount, or Miasmata, or Vanishing of Ethan Carter, or that other one that I forgot the name of that was more of a horror game and took place outdoors at night. They seem to have formed a new subgenre -- 1st person point-of-view, realtime 3D FPS-type movement, "realistic" graphics and animations, few if any puzzles, mostly uncovering the story through exploration.

There's no narration in Miasmata, though (it's a great game!). Dear Esther occurred to me partly due to the similarity between "Esther" and "Ether".
Posted By: VRMpls2

Re: Ether One....what a game - 10/26/14 05:57 AM

do you use the mouse or keyboard to move?

Re: Ether One....what a game - 10/26/14 02:21 PM

Originally Posted By: VRMpls2
do you use the mouse or keyboard to move?

I believe you use the keyboard for movement.
Posted By: Terri824

Re: Ether One....what a game - 11/10/14 05:52 PM

Gamergate has Ether One on for $5.00. I do like the graphics but after reading the previous posts not sure if it's for me. My memory is so bad and I do not like to use the keyboard for movement. So must ponder this a bit.
wave Terri

Re: Ether One....what a game - 11/10/14 08:11 PM

Terri, you can use a gamepad for all the movement controls and functions in Ether One if you get sore fingers using WASD controls. I hate WASD controls but luckily many newer games also have gamepad support. Paper and pen are 'mandotory' when playing this great game. Making notes saves you the trouble of running back and forth all the time. For me the biggest challenge was remembering the industry area plan, I got lost there all the time. Ether one was one of the hardest games I have ever played, but it was worth every hour, or dozens of them to be accurate. I recommend it warmly! smile

Timo

Re: Ether One....what a game - 11/10/14 10:22 PM

Hi Timo. I had to smile when I realized you were the person posting....you've forgotten, I have a problem with the gamepad. Actually I probably need to get a new one. Mine is from 2008, a Philips, and never did learn how to use it back then either. lol
I looked at a youtube video for a few minutes and decided it wasn't for me. It looked like a lot of reading and does it always have the "directions" in the middle of the screen? That I didn't care for if so. Let me hear from you.

Thanks, wave
Terri

Re: Ether One....what a game - 11/11/14 11:27 AM

Hi Terri,

no, I did not forget, I was just too optimistic! lol

You've got a personal message waiting...

Timo

Re: Ether One....what a game - 11/14/14 06:25 PM

Timo. I only tried to use it once with Tale of Two Brothers, then got side tracked as I so often do. I will get back to it but it may be a while.
Thanks,
Terri grin
© 2024 GameBoomers Community