GB HOMEPAGE

Constructing the Cave: How Adventure Games are Structured -- Gameboomers editorial

Posted By: Jenny100

Constructing the Cave: How Adventure Games are Structured -- Gameboomers editorial - 05/17/14 03:56 PM

*** Constructing the Cave: How Adventure Games are Structured ***

A Gameboomers editorial by Peter Rootham-Smith
(maintainer of the Pagoda Game Database)

From the Adventure genre's beginnings,
with the 1975 text game "Colossal Cave"

to today's adventure games,
many of which focus attention on presentation, animation, and 3D graphics

Peter Rootham-Smith describes the various ways Adventure games can be structured.

Find out more in

*** Constructing the Cave: How Adventure Games are Structured ***

Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

Re: Constructing the Cave: How Adventure Games are Structured -- Gameboomers editorial - 05/17/14 04:04 PM

Great read, Peter! Thanks, Jenny!

Ana wave
Posted By: Marian

Re: Constructing the Cave: How Adventure Games are Structured -- Gameboomers editorial - 05/17/14 04:19 PM

Nice editorial, Peter; thank you. thumbsup

(And thank you too, Jenny.) smile
Posted By: MaG

Re: Constructing the Cave: How Adventure Games are Structured -- Gameboomers editorial - 05/17/14 04:22 PM

Thanks, Peter.

wave Jenny!
Posted By: Mad

Re: Constructing the Cave: How Adventure Games are Structured -- Gameboomers editorial - 05/17/14 06:41 PM

Oooooh !! Must have a read of that. Thanks. Folks laugh
Posted By: Kickaha

Re: Constructing the Cave: How Adventure Games are Structured -- Gameboomers editorial - 05/17/14 06:55 PM

Thanks to Jenny and the other GameBoomers staff for their help with this editorial!

(I probably had better modify my signature to make it clearer this is me!)
Posted By: Space Quest Fan

Re: Constructing the Cave: How Adventure Games are Structured -- Gameboomers editorial - 05/17/14 07:07 PM

Interesting read. thanks to everyone involved.
Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

Re: Constructing the Cave: How Adventure Games are Structured -- Gameboomers editorial - 05/17/14 07:14 PM

Good to have you aboard Peter!

Ana wave
Posted By: Reenie

Re: Constructing the Cave: How Adventure Games are Structured -- Gameboomers editorial - 05/18/14 07:31 AM

A very interesting read. Like most other entertainment media, an adventure game needs a good story with a strong story arc, characters you can identify with and/or learn to care about, a sense of really existing in some place or time, and a motivation to move forward through its various challenges. The best games, like the best books and films, accomplish all of these things and totally enthrall us in the process. My hat is off to someone who can craft a truly fine game, one we all fondly recall a decade or more after having played it. I hope to see the genre continue to evolve!
Posted By: Kaki's Sister

Re: Constructing the Cave: How Adventure Games are Structured -- Gameboomers editorial - 05/18/14 10:14 AM

Very informative editorial. Thanks Jenny and Peter.
Posted By: Haroula

Re: Constructing the Cave: How Adventure Games are Structured -- Gameboomers editorial - 05/18/14 10:16 AM

Thanks Jenny and Peter. smile wave
Posted By: gatorlaw

Re: Constructing the Cave: How Adventure Games are Structured -- Gameboomers editorial - 05/18/14 02:33 PM

Great article and cool read.

Thanks Peter smile
Posted By: Kickaha

Re: Constructing the Cave: How Adventure Games are Structured -- Gameboomers editorial - 05/18/14 03:51 PM

Thanks for reading and for the kind words!
© 2024 GameBoomers Community