GB HOMEPAGE

Announcing The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - A Supernatural Horror Adventure

Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

Announcing The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - A Supernatural Horror Adventure - 06/13/14 03:37 PM

The Vanishing of Ethan Carter is set to be released September 2014 by the indie studio The Astronauts.

**Warning - Graphic Violence after 1:10**
You can view the trailer here.

Check out the screens here.

Quote:
As a detective with the supernatural ability to visualize scenes of lethal crimes, you investigate the kidnapping of a young boy, hoping to save him before it’s too late. The investigation leads you to a beautiful mountain area, where you come across a severely mutilated body of one of the kidnappers. Using both your paranormal skill and modern detective tools you discover the mystery behind the trail of corpses in the valley, the roots of an ancient force ruling the area, and the fate of the kidnapped boy.

“What we care about the most is that the players feel like they’re really there. Immersion is our number one priority”, said the game’s designer, Adrian Chmielarz. “It’s a game about exploration and discovery. We’re not abandoning the gameplay – on the contrary: we’re trying to strip it down to the bone and make sure it’s always meaningful and truly makes the experience better.”

The game is being developed on the latest version of the industry-leading Unreal Engine 3 technology from Epic Games, as well as exciting new technology, the details of which we will reveal in the coming months.

Happy Gaming!

Ana wave
Posted By: Rushes

Re: Announcing The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - A Supernatural Horror Adventure - 06/13/14 03:50 PM

Wow, that's some beautiful scenery. Could be an intriguing game. Thanks, Ana.
Posted By: Draclvr

Re: Announcing The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - A Supernatural Horror Adventure - 06/13/14 04:49 PM

I want it! And September isn't that far away. Thanks, Ana.

Re: Announcing The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - A Supernatural Horror Adventure - 06/13/14 05:01 PM

I like their Tumbler post here:

Quote:
We keep repeating that there is not combat in The Vanishing of Ethan Carter and there are no monster bent on killing you.
We never said there are were no monsters.
Posted By: Mad

Re: Announcing The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - A Supernatural Horror Adventure - 06/13/14 06:14 PM

This looks like it could be a GOODIE !!!!

Thanks, BrownEyedTigre bravo
Posted By: Marian

Re: Announcing The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - A Supernatural Horror Adventure - 06/13/14 06:16 PM

Looks interesting. Thanks, Ana. wave

Re: Announcing The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - A Supernatural Horror Adventure - 06/13/14 06:30 PM

That Tumbler post is great!

Re: Announcing The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - A Supernatural Horror Adventure - 06/13/14 08:18 PM

grin Drac
Posted By: TJL

Re: Announcing The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - A Supernatural Horror Adventure - 06/13/14 08:29 PM

That scenery reminds me of the opening episode of Twin Peaks.

An interesting game to wait for, looks good! smile

Timo
Posted By: sanford

Re: Announcing The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - A Supernatural Horror Adventure - 06/13/14 09:15 PM

Wow, Ana. The graphics look awesome. Thanks
Sandy
Posted By: rockingrjranch

Re: Announcing The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - A Supernatural Horror Adventure - 06/14/14 12:41 AM

This really looks interesting. Thanks Ana!
Posted By: Vegpot

Re: Announcing The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - A Supernatural Horror Adventure - 06/14/14 04:02 PM

Yes that looks great, but looking at the graphics though not sure my Lenovo laptop is high spec enough for it, I can't play the big RPG's like Skyrim or similar, it can't cope with them. think
Posted By: kazzmo

Re: Announcing The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - A Supernatural Horror Adventure - 06/14/14 09:00 PM

Oh my goodness, looks soooo good. Hurry September!!! happydance
Posted By: judith

Re: Announcing The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - A Supernatural Horror Adventure - 06/15/14 04:37 PM

This is my kind of game, September can't come soon enough.
Posted By: Kaki's Sister

Re: Announcing The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - A Supernatural Horror Adventure - 06/17/14 09:56 AM

Thanks Ana. It looks like a winner! thumbsup
Posted By: Gamer

Re: Announcing The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - A Supernatural Horror Adventure - 06/18/14 11:48 PM

Looks like one of those good cold weather games to me. Im looking forward to it. grin

Thanks Ana! wave
Posted By: GBC

Re: Announcing The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - A Supernatural Horror Adventure - 06/19/14 04:36 PM

Thanks Ana, Wow!
Posted By: Terri824

Re: Announcing The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - A Supernatural Horror Adventure - 06/19/14 08:09 PM

Fabulous scenery. I will be watching for this one. yes
Posted By: Norma

Re: Announcing The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - A Supernatural Horror Adventure - 06/22/14 03:52 AM

Thanks, Ana, interesting game. Hope that wasn't Ethan who got hit in the head. I can't wait for this scary game to come out!
Posted By: VRMpls2

Re: Announcing The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - A Supernatural Horror Adventure - 07/02/14 08:08 AM

wonder if it is mouse run or keyboard

Re: Announcing The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - A Supernatural Horror Adventure - 07/02/14 10:22 AM

Originally Posted By: VRMpls2
wonder if it is mouse run or keyboard

The "News" (Feb 14, 2013) at adventuregamers.com says it supports keyboard/mouse combination or gamepad for control.

Timo
Posted By: oldbroad

Re: Announcing The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - A Supernatural Horror Adventure - 07/09/14 01:37 AM

Amazon has this for pre-order on disc.

Re: Announcing The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - A Supernatural Horror Adventure - 07/09/14 02:06 AM

Originally Posted By: oldbroad
Amazon has this for pre-order on disc.

Thank you for pointing that out. wave

Re: Announcing The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - A Supernatural Horror Adventure - 08/14/14 12:08 PM

Good News from the Developer! smile

Timo

Re: Announcing The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - A Supernatural Horror Adventure - 08/14/14 04:38 PM

Timo, I have the news posted in the Gamescom thread here. You will able to find lots of updates appearing there this week.

Re: Announcing The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - A Supernatural Horror Adventure - 08/21/14 06:14 PM

Special Edition with extra goodies now available for pre-order on GOG! smile

Timo

Re: Announcing The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - A Supernatural Horror Adventure - 08/21/14 06:16 PM

Thanks, Timo. wave
Posted By: traveler

Re: Announcing The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - A Supernatural Horror Adventure - 08/22/14 01:55 AM

Commented gameplay on The Vanishing of Ethan Carter by one of the developers, stuff you haven't seen before, I think, on how the game works.
Beautiful, gruesome, I hope it's as good as it looks as if it will be from these trailers.

Gil.

Re: Announcing The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - A Supernatural Horror Adventure - 08/22/14 02:01 AM

Thank you for the link, Gil.

Re: Announcing The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - A Supernatural Horror Adventure - 08/22/14 03:14 PM

I have this on pre-order with GOG yay yay
Posted By: LadyCav

Re: Announcing The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - A Supernatural Horror Adventure - 08/22/14 03:41 PM

Traveler (Gil),

That was a very interesting video. Thank you for posting the link.

I was saddened to see the thoughtless comments by you tube viewers about the game looking boring. It's a shame that (younger) (?) folks seem to think a game can only be interesting if it is fast paced and full of hack and slash battles.

These folks have worked months or years to produce a thoughtful, provoking, investigative game with beautiful graphics where one can travel at their own pace to discover new things and people. I think there are innovative elements of gameplay here and I very much look forward to this game.

Re: Announcing The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - A Supernatural Horror Adventure - 08/22/14 03:48 PM

LadyCav, I am all for a no comments allowed section on most informational postings. I think the anonymity of the internet gives people a license to be cruel and rude.

Ana wave

Re: Announcing The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - A Supernatural Horror Adventure - 08/22/14 03:55 PM

Originally Posted By: BrownEyedTigre
LadyCav, I am all for a no comments allowed section on most informational postings. I think the anonymity of the internet gives people a license to be cruel and rude.

Ana wave

I agree completely. wave

Re: Announcing The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - A Supernatural Horror Adventure - 08/22/14 04:04 PM

The comments on YouTube are hardly worth the bother, LadyCav, though sometimes they are useful and not loaded with words that would have earned me a mouthful of soap.
You're right; a great many of the people commenting don't seem to be able to slow down and think even if they might be whizzes about battle strategy.
Who and what and why don't seem to interest them.

I do wonder if the game doesn't hold your hand a little too much with the indications of what to look for and where to look, but we'll see. smile
I agree with you that the graphics are beautiful and it looks as if it's going to be a very interesting game.
For sure I'm pre-ordering as soon as I can.

Gil.
Posted By: Jenny100

Re: Announcing The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - A Supernatural Horror Adventure - 08/22/14 06:11 PM

I agree with the person who posted this --
Originally Posted By: Keppit
Blech... Whoever shot this trailer needs to learn a thing or two about horror. Less is always more. Don't show the guy smashing the dudes head in. Just hint at it. Always more scary.
That bit with the bludgeoning was a complete turnoff.
Though I wouldn't put the blame on the person who shot the trailer if it's indicative of what the rest of the game is like.

Re: Announcing The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - A Supernatural Horror Adventure - 08/23/14 12:39 AM

Originally Posted By: Jenny100

I'm not sure I agree with you or the person who said, "Blech".
Didn't the bludgeoning turn your stomach, fill you with horror?
It certainly did me.
Making you jump at every creak of a floorboard as your tension builds without actually seeing any gore is one way of making you feel frightened, queasy, afraid of what might lie ahead, but there are other ways and these devs have decided to explore them.

Granted, they can easily overdo the graphic violence (and I realize you think once was too much) but your comment makes me wonder what you would have thought of The Awakened if the graphics back then had been up to showing you with more realism what happened to the detective slaughtered in front of the idol underneath the warehouse and Frogwares had used that for the trailer.
They certainly did the best they could with the tools they had then to make you want to retch.
But that wasn't the entirety of that game and a lot of people say The Awakened is one of their favorite Sherlock Holmes games.
Maybe scenes like the one in this game's trailer aren't the entirety of Ethan Carter either.

Gil.

Re: Announcing The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - A Supernatural Horror Adventure - 08/23/14 03:54 AM

Originally Posted By: traveler
Originally Posted By: Jenny100
I'm not sure I agree with you or the person who said, "Blech".
Didn't the bludgeoning turn your stomach, fill you with horror?
Horror? Not at all. Just disgust.

Quote:
Maybe scenes like the one in this game's trailer aren't the entirety of Ethan Carter either.
I think I've seen enough.
I'm not interested in seeing any more.

I hope you guys who've pre-ordered enjoy your purchase.
But it's definitely not for me.

Re: Announcing The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - A Supernatural Horror Adventure - 08/23/14 07:23 AM

What I've seen, read and heard so far was enough for me to per-order my copy and look forward to the release date.

I believe it brings us something new visually, in content and game mechanics under this genre.

Some are gonna like it, some not. But it comes anyway.

Timo

Re: Announcing The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - A Supernatural Horror Adventure - 08/23/14 03:24 PM

I very rarely watch trailers and didn't watch the one for this game.
I tend to go more by whether or not I think I will enjoy the story grin

Re: Announcing The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - A Supernatural Horror Adventure - 08/23/14 03:53 PM

Originally Posted By: Mad
I very rarely watch trailers and didn't watch the one for this game.
I tend to go more by whether or not I think I will enjoy the story grin

In previous years, I didn't either.
But so many games with 3D movement are being made that I have to check them out ahead of time to make sure they're not going to give me motion sickness -- or more specifically, ***simulation sickness***. Trailers that include actual gameplay footage are more helpful than those that only include cut scenes, since cut scenes rarely give me simulation sickness.

Re: Announcing The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - A Supernatural Horror Adventure - 08/23/14 08:45 PM

I can well understand that, Jenny100 yes

I don't suffer from that problem myself but I realise how horrible it must be for all of you that do shocked
Posted By: Lagavulin

Re: Announcing The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - A Supernatural Horror Adventure - 08/25/14 06:01 PM

thumbsup

Wow!! thats my first reaction sherlock

Exactly like TJL my first thought was also Twin Peaks.

I have not heard or read anything before about this game but after watching this video I searched for more and found a gameplay video with comments by the designer

AND NOW I'M HOOKED scared This could be an absolute HIT this year bravo bravo

Superb graphics, great story, interesting new gameplay, mooody !

It's been a long time since I felt this excited taz about a new "adv"game.

Cheers

Re: Announcing The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - A Supernatural Horror Adventure - 09/23/14 11:35 AM

Hi,

while waiting for "The Vanishing of Ethan Carter" to be released (Soon, September 25th) I have put this picture on my PC desktop.

I like this picture a lot and I became curious whether this stave church actually exists or whether it is just combined taking one part here and one part there. After a quick research I found it actually exists in real life and has very interesting history. It was originally built at the turn of 12th century by lake Wang in Norway but when it later became too small for the parish it was sold, put in boxes 1841 and shipped to Berlin where it was never erected but was later shipped to Karkonosze Mountains in Poland where the corner stone was laid in 1842 and the church completely re-erected in 1844.

You can read about the history of the church here.

Timo
Posted By: kjos

Re: Announcing The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - A Supernatural Horror Adventure - 09/23/14 01:43 PM

I think I bought the game but I don't know where I bought it from. Is GOG the only one that sells it? If it is than I guess I must have bought it there. Thank you
Richard

Re: Announcing The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - A Supernatural Horror Adventure - 09/23/14 02:19 PM

Hi Richard,

as far as I know it's available for pre-order only on GOG or Steam.

Timo

Re: Announcing The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - A Supernatural Horror Adventure - 09/23/14 02:22 PM

I guess I had better check on steam. GamersGate will have it to, requires steam activation. Thanks
Richard

Re: Announcing The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - A Supernatural Horror Adventure - 09/23/14 02:48 PM

What an amazing story about the church... Thanks, TJL.

Re: Announcing The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - A Supernatural Horror Adventure - 09/23/14 03:31 PM

Old churches fascinate me too, thanks for the background Timo.

Ana wave

Re: Announcing The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - A Supernatural Horror Adventure - 09/24/14 02:49 PM

Just wondering where everybody is going to buy the game from. As far as I know there are three sites,GamersGate\GOG\Steam. If I'm wrong just let me know. There all good sites as far as I know. You still have to use Steam to download the game. I don't know where I will be getting mine from.
Beautiful looking church. Looks like it will be a fun game.
Richard

Re: Announcing The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - A Supernatural Horror Adventure - 09/24/14 03:12 PM

I prefer Steam.

Ana wave

Re: Announcing The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - A Supernatural Horror Adventure - 09/24/14 03:20 PM

Richard, I pre-ordered my game from Steam.

Re: Announcing The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - A Supernatural Horror Adventure - 09/24/14 04:12 PM

I guess I will stick with Steam.
Posted By: Jfi

Re: Announcing The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - A Supernatural Horror Adventure - 09/24/14 05:44 PM

Hello,

Amazon is going to sell The Vanishing of Ethan Carter game on disk. Would anyone know if it is the same game GB's are talking about? I want to buy a disk game but don't want to buy the wrong game.

Thanks

June

Re: Announcing The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - A Supernatural Horror Adventure - 09/24/14 05:50 PM

Yes, it is on amazon for 19.99. Be prepared that it "may" require steam.

Re: Announcing The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - A Supernatural Horror Adventure - 09/24/14 05:55 PM

I pre-ordered from GOG.
Posted By: Jfi

Re: Announcing The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - A Supernatural Horror Adventure - 09/24/14 06:20 PM

BrownEyedTigre,

I want to get the game for someone else and I will need a disk.

thanks

June

Re: Announcing The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - A Supernatural Horror Adventure - 09/24/14 11:53 PM

I was looking at GOG and it doesn't anything about steam. Maybe you can download it right from GOG. I don't mind steam but I like GOG.
Richard

Re: Announcing The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - A Supernatural Horror Adventure - 09/25/14 12:45 AM

If it's on gog you don't have to worry about steam. I was just saying it's possible it's on the DVD.

Re: Announcing The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - A Supernatural Horror Adventure - 09/25/14 03:56 AM

I ordered this game from GOG also. Gog games do not require a Steam Key. They are all DRM free. You own it outright. No internet connection is needed to play games purchased from GOG.
I'm looking forward to downloading this fascinating game tomorrow.
BTW, I have bought many games from Steam as well and I have no complaints about them at all. HAPPY GAMING, fellow Boomers.
Sandy
Posted By: dianne

Re: Announcing The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - A Supernatural Horror Adventure - 09/25/14 04:49 AM

to those of us who where wondering if the boxed version of The vanishing of Ethan Carter requires a steam account to active it yes it does I just E-mailed them and they said yes.
I don't want to cancel my pre order so I guess its ok.
dianne wave

Re: Announcing The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - A Supernatural Horror Adventure - 09/25/14 05:07 AM

Thanks for the info, dianne. wave

Re: Announcing The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - A Supernatural Horror Adventure - 09/25/14 05:12 AM

you are welcome no problem
dianne

Re: Announcing The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - A Supernatural Horror Adventure - 09/25/14 03:02 PM

Thanks dianne, writing the publisher was on my list and you saved me the email!

Re: Announcing The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - A Supernatural Horror Adventure - 09/25/14 04:51 PM

I was reading the forum on GOG and this is what I read(The plan was to release at 7pm Warsaw time (10am Valve time smile. Doing what we can but we might be a few hours late. The game is 99.99% done, but that 0.01% is bothering us because it’s bugs we KNOW about it and we can’t in good conscience publish the game with that knowledge.") Look like the ones that bought the game at GOG will have to wait a bit longer. The other sites to I imagine.
Richard

Re: Announcing The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - A Supernatural Horror Adventure - 09/25/14 04:56 PM

Thanks, Richard. I was wondering why I hadn't gotten my notice to download.

Re: Announcing The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - A Supernatural Horror Adventure - 09/25/14 08:52 PM

I went into Steam at 4pm today and this is what it said(Available: September 25
This game will unlock in approximately 1 hour. I got it from GOG anyway. Just thought I would let you know. A hour from what time I don't know.
Richard

Re: Announcing The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - A Supernatural Horror Adventure - 09/25/14 10:20 PM

Had to just find out because sometimes when you order a game it really never list rather its stream play or not
and I really think that they should so people will know.
and can make their own decision about rather to purchase or not to.
I have had this happen to me where I purchased a game and found out you had to have a stream account in order to play.
don't mind when I buy from stream but if its the other way around makes me wonder.
. most happy to have helped out.Dianne smile
Posted By: Ewil02

Re: Announcing The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - A Supernatural Horror Adventure - 09/25/14 11:28 PM

GOG now says it'll be released 9/26. I preordered from Steam and just checked the forums-it appears that the final build of the game has been uploaded to Steam, but who knows how long it'll be til we can download. There's a lot of activity on the Steam forum-mostly negative about the developers not hitting the release target-at least it looks like there's a lot of interest in the game.

Re: Announcing The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - A Supernatural Horror Adventure - 09/26/14 12:26 AM

I just went to steam and it's ready to download now. Will stick with GOG because it's DRM free. happydance
Richard

Re: Announcing The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - A Supernatural Horror Adventure - 09/26/14 04:11 AM

Hi, Richard
It looks like you and I are following the same path and for the same reason. I hope you are enjoying your new computer. I'm still
a WIN XP user(one of the last of a dying breed) LOL
Sandy

Re: Announcing The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - A Supernatural Horror Adventure - 09/26/14 10:30 AM

Hi Sandy I see that GamersGate has the game ready to download I guess GOG is the last. I hope it won't be much longer. Still getting used to my new pc win7. I still have my other computer with xp but I haven't used it. I guess I like win 7 ok
GOG is ready for download. Go get it. Installing the game now.
Richard

Re: Announcing The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - A Supernatural Horror Adventure - 09/26/14 11:39 AM

Hurrah! The game is now available for download also on GOG! smile

Can't wait for the weekend...

Timo

Re: Announcing The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - A Supernatural Horror Adventure - 09/26/14 11:52 AM

Just playing and the graphics are out of this world. There is a auto-save. If you are afraid of heights be for warned. Beautiful game. Don't really know what I'm doing yet. Exploring. I played for about 1/2 hour and quit playing. Started playing and wasn't where I quit. Had to start at the beginning. Don't know if I like that. I don't think that auto-save is working.
Richard

Re: Announcing The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - A Supernatural Horror Adventure - 09/26/14 07:48 PM

I had pre-ordered the game on disc through Amazon. Below is a portion of the email I received from them regarding the order.

"Due to a lack of availability, we will not be able to obtain the following item(s) from your order:

"The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - Windows (select)"

We've canceled the item(s) and apologize for the inconvenience. We must also apologize for the length of time it has taken us to reach this conclusion. "

Re: Announcing The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - A Supernatural Horror Adventure - 09/26/14 08:49 PM

I hate to hear this for you, oldbroad, but I hope it means there has been massive demand for the game. Of course, if there were bugs, they may not have even shipped the pre-order disks to Amazon. Maybe it will become available shortly through regular ordering.

Re: Announcing The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - A Supernatural Horror Adventure - 09/26/14 09:13 PM

To bad oldbroad,but once they put more auto saves in the game. You can wonder around for a hour or two and get nothing done and when you quit the game and start up again you will start at the beginning with nothing accomplished. That's what happened to me. It's got beautiful graphics. The game plays real smooth.
I wish you could save anytime but you can't.
Richard

Re: Announcing The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - A Supernatural Horror Adventure - 09/26/14 09:22 PM

Oh, no. I absolutely HATE auto saving without the option to save when you want to. When will these game developers LEARN! Oh, well. I am still looking forward to the game. It's an overnight download for me, so hopefully I'll have it some time tomorrow.

Re: Announcing The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - A Supernatural Horror Adventure - 09/26/14 09:24 PM

This is my OPINION only Draclvr. I think Amazon does not want to be stuck with discs they cannot sell and only place their orders based on how many pre-orders they get. The reason I say this is because the last several times I pre-ordered discs, I received them but they were immediately "out of stock" and unavailable on the same day they were coming out/supposed to be ready to ship. This is a little different, but maybe they didn't get enough pre-orders or maybe it is because of the bugs (that would be a good thing - to not send discs that you know are buggy).

kjos - I also do not like not being able to save when I want to. I would not be starting over too many times if that happened to me. I hope you can figure out what you need to do to get the gave to save!

Re: Announcing The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - A Supernatural Horror Adventure - 09/26/14 09:47 PM

I just downloaded my copy from GOG and burned it to disk - but I'm rather disappointed to hear it's an "auto save only" game !! shocked

[I'm another who really dislikes that format.]

So it doesn't auto save when you "quit" ???? Aggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh rolleyes

Better be a good game in every other respect then !! laugh

Re: Announcing The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - A Supernatural Horror Adventure - 09/26/14 10:21 PM

It's a good game but for the auto saves.Auto save works after you have completed something like solved a murder .I played for about 2 hrs and thought I had solved the murder. When the save comes on white dots flash in the bottom right hand corner. I didn't see any for me but I thought I would give it a shot. Quit the game started it again back to the beginning lost everything I had done. The graphics are wonderful You can go almost anywhere. Mad let me know what you think of the game.This is what I read on Steam
From a developer post on steam:
How do I save the game?
The auto-save happens after you complete a bigger event like solve a murder scene or experience ...[...]. When the auto-save happens, three animated dots appear in the lower right corner. With the first update, we will be changing this to something maybe a bit less immersive, but much clearer (like "Saving...").
and
Please bear in mind we are a fairly small (eight people) team with literally one programmer. Of course we will try to fix every single bug possible, and as soon as humanly possible, but feature requests like an option for manual save might be outside of our reach.

Richard

Re: Announcing The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - A Supernatural Horror Adventure - 09/26/14 10:35 PM

Thanks very much for that, kjos smile

[I wonder if just an "extra" auto save on quitting might be a possible "upgrade" we could hope for ??]

I won't be playing the game for a while yet, I have too many games on the go already !! But I'll be checking back here regularly to read player opinions yes

Re: Announcing The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - A Supernatural Horror Adventure - 09/26/14 10:48 PM

The game is extremely beautiful, just stunning - tho just a little bit choppy - micro lag on movement on my computer. The auto save is extremely irritating. I wandered around for a couple of hours before leaving the game. The next time I played past the area of the 'first case' and wandered through the village for a while. Again, life away from the pc interrupted me, and I had to start over from the beginning, as I hadn't solved the first case. After a few hours, the forward movement became extremely slow, as my laptop was getting quite 'warm'. I finally solved the first case after watching a you tube video and finally understood about the "click and hold" to see visions to progress further. Without any helpful explanations, there's quite a bit of trial and error. But I'm still enjoying this immensely when I get past the irritation of not being able to save when leaving the game. I'm looking forward to playing more when time allows a full exploration of each case.

Re: Announcing The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - A Supernatural Horror Adventure - 09/27/14 02:27 PM

Timo, I moved you to glitches where they can answer you.

Ana wave

Re: Announcing The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - A Supernatural Horror Adventure - 10/01/14 02:27 PM

I love "almost" everything about this game. Obviously the graphics - I haven't seen anything this beautiful since The Witcher. I like that you can go anywhere and the navigation is completely intuitive. No getting stuck or lost because of the limitations of point and click. I like the minimal interruption of your gameplay with mountains of dialogue and getting stuck in the game because you happened to click on the wrong dialogue choice. The sound track is perfect for the rather lonely and disturbing atmosphere. It's not hard, but it's far from easy either - at least for me who is NOT a very good puzzler. (I am a closet fan of sliders, however!). They say it's a short game, but it probably won't be for me because I have so little time to play for very long at one time - tomatoes are winding down, but now I'm buried under buckets and buckets of chilies and peppers.

WHICH brings me to this utterly dreadful decision to use infrequent auto-saves. I'm having to play parts of it over and over because I have to quit before I reach an auto-save after solving a murder or a puzzle. Last night after I got back from the Ranch at 11:00, I wanted to play until I got sleepy. Well, when I did, I still hadn't gotten to an auto-save and although I hated to, I used a walkthrough and rushed through the next part so I could get to the auto-save. It totally ruined the efforts of the developers to make the game completely immersive. What a dreadful decision on their part to not take the time to program manual saves or at least like Mad says an auto-save upon exiting the game.

Re: Announcing The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - A Supernatural Horror Adventure - 10/01/14 04:47 PM

Your point Drac is exactly why I haven't started yet. I don't have the luxury of long game playing times and I don't think they were thinking when they designed it that way. I'll get to it but I wish they would patch it.

Re: Announcing The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - A Supernatural Horror Adventure - 10/01/14 09:40 PM

I haven't started it yet either for the same reason .... Not being able to play as when and when I prefer.

I asked on the Glitches Board about the possibility of a patch, even just to provide an auto save on quitting play, but from what Jenny100 replied it doesn't look as though one is likely to be provided slapforehead
Posted By: unowen

Re: Announcing The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - A Supernatural Horror Adventure - 10/02/14 09:42 PM

GOG had a large update for this game, over 200MB. I couldn't find any release notes so I loaded my saved game. Walked around a bit, didn't really notice anything different. When I went to quit the game autosaved. I haven't been able to try it again, I'm at work, but they may have added a save on exit.

I was ready to shelve this game because of the save situation, but if they rectified the saving I'm going to have to start exploring the country side again.

Re: Announcing The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - A Supernatural Horror Adventure - 10/02/14 09:45 PM

Thanks for that info, unowen. That would be a big help with the save problem. Here's hoping. wave

Re: Announcing The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - A Supernatural Horror Adventure - 10/02/14 11:03 PM

There is a very long list on steam for the patch but this is what it says about saves:

Added the option to choose the way the save notification is displayed.
steam cloud saves officially launched

Re: Announcing The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - A Supernatural Horror Adventure - 10/02/14 11:25 PM

I tried the game today and played about two hrs. and quit and restarted it and came back to the same place I had started two hrs ago. I added the update a while ago. I don't think I will be playing it for a while but If I have all day with nothing else to do. I bought it from GOG.
Richard
Posted By: unowen

Re: Announcing The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - A Supernatural Horror Adventure - 10/03/14 12:23 AM

I've had more time to play, home from work now, and unfortunately it seems the game does not same on exit. Sorry if I got anyone's hopes up.

Shelving the game (virtually) until another patch is released. Hope springs eternal....

Re: Announcing The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - A Supernatural Horror Adventure - 10/03/14 02:30 AM

That's too bad. I was hoping.

Ana wave

Re: Announcing The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - A Supernatural Horror Adventure - 10/03/14 02:40 AM

I posted Stiler's tip for how and where to save ***over in Glitches***.
It's more like a checkpoint system than a real save system, but knowing what the checkpoints are might help.

Re: Announcing The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - A Supernatural Horror Adventure - 10/03/14 02:49 AM

Thanks Jenny!

Re: Announcing The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - A Supernatural Horror Adventure - 10/03/14 05:00 AM

That's great, Jenny!

Re: Announcing The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - A Supernatural Horror Adventure - 10/03/14 07:43 AM

Thank you, Jenny100 !! Any bit of help is appreciated thumbsup

Re: Announcing The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - A Supernatural Horror Adventure - 10/03/14 02:35 PM

I see GOG has a new update 3. I was just in there site and saw it. 372.3 MB
Richard

Re: Announcing The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - A Supernatural Horror Adventure - 10/03/14 02:54 PM

Thank you, Richard. I will go check it out right now...
Posted By: UruKat

Re: Announcing The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - A Supernatural Horror Adventure - 10/03/14 02:59 PM

Downloading the newest update from GOG now. Hope it makes a difference in the saving. I'm also playing and loving Ether One....but I can't get past a certain point in the game because of inventory disappearing. So I can't really play either one right now until there is some solution. I sent an email with my saved game to Whitepaper Games,(who made Ether One) about my problem and they said they will get back to me about it. Meanwhile, I have 2 great games that I can't continue to play.....sigh.

Re: Announcing The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - A Supernatural Horror Adventure - 10/03/14 03:00 PM

The update 3 is the one I did yesterday from Steam. It has the save descriptions from my earlier post.

Re: Announcing The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - A Supernatural Horror Adventure - 10/03/14 03:09 PM

According to this from Steam, if you read the page in the game with Ethan's story, or as someone else mentioned, re-watching a murder.....it triggers a Save.
http://steamcommunity.com/app/258520/discussions/0/616189106477566461/

"Update 1: for easier traveling, we have added additional auto-saves that happen every time the player re-watches a murder (skippable, btw) or simply reads the page with Ethan's story."

Re: Announcing The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - A Supernatural Horror Adventure - 10/04/14 03:42 AM

Phew !! Even though I'm glad of them, I think I'm going to wait and see if any more patches/updates are going to be offered before I download this third one !! rolleyes

Re: Announcing The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - A Supernatural Horror Adventure - 10/04/14 12:01 PM

Hi,

I finished The Vanishing of Ethan Carter last night. It took me 6 nights using 1+ hour each night.

I played it with Patch #2. Noticed yesterday there is also Patch #3 available but while I feared it could have some affect to my latest auto-save, I did not install it until I had finished the game.

Don't be afraid to start playing the game because of lack of manual saving system, you don't even need any tricks mentioned on glitches section here for auto-saving. Usually half an hour is enough to solve one puzzle and auto-save. In 1+ hour I could usually finish 2 or 3 puzzles ending to an auto-save. And I often used much time taking a look around at that beautiful scenery.

My opinion is that this game is best when played in dark and using headphones to fully concentrate and adapt to the story.

The game could have had lenght twice or three times it actually had but this promises good for the decelopment team, I hope we soon hear more from The Astronauts.

Timo

Re: Announcing The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - A Supernatural Horror Adventure - 10/04/14 03:44 PM

Thanks TJL, I was thinking of starting it tonight and it's good to know it's doable.

Re: Announcing The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - A Supernatural Horror Adventure - 10/04/14 04:00 PM

I did download the 3rd patch and it didn't mess up any of my previous auto-saves. Although I still don't like not being able to save manually and would have even relished an auto save upon exit, they definitely listened to the players and added a much more reasonable auto save feature. I still had to play longer than I wanted to a couple of times and Thursday night when I had to leave to go bowling, I left the game open on my screen so I wouldn't have to start over from my old auto save when I got home. Since their goal was to make the game as completely immersive as possible, they defeated that goal for those of us who can't sit down and play for hours at a stretch with the auto save feature.

But it's definitely doable and the general concept of HOW they did the game from the story to clues and solving the murders is something new and different. None of the same old tricks we've become so accustomed to. I agree with TJL - the game could easily have had the story fleshed out with more puzzles and aspects of the story to solve and been twice or three times as long and kept me complete engaged.

I look forward to more from The Astronauts. However flawed, Ethan Carter was a great first effort.

Re: Announcing The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - A Supernatural Horror Adventure - 10/04/14 04:50 PM

Thanks Drac! I will need to research how to most effectively save before I start playing.
Posted By: dorish

Re: Announcing The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - A Supernatural Horror Adventure - 10/06/14 06:51 PM

How do I download the latest patch---I am new to all this stuff.

Doreen

Re: Announcing The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - A Supernatural Horror Adventure - 10/06/14 06:54 PM

Originally Posted By: dorish
How do I download the latest patch---I am new to all this stuff.

Doreen

Where did you buy the game?

Re: Announcing The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - A Supernatural Horror Adventure - 10/06/14 07:37 PM

I got it from steam.

Doreen

Re: Announcing The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - A Supernatural Horror Adventure - 10/06/14 07:44 PM

I am not that experienced with Steam, but I believe that Steam automatically updates your game as patches are released. If I am wrong about this, hopefully someone else will let me know.
Posted By: MaG

Re: Announcing The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - A Supernatural Horror Adventure - 10/06/14 07:49 PM

Marian,

That is my experience with Steam. Auto update is done if that is selected in the properties of the game.
- Right click the name of the game that is installed.
- Select properties at bottom of drop down menu.
- Select "update" tab.
- select auto update.

Re: Announcing The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - A Supernatural Horror Adventure - 10/06/14 07:51 PM

Thanks, MaG. smile

Re: Announcing The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - A Supernatural Horror Adventure - 10/06/14 08:01 PM

Mine updated automatically when I started Steam.

Re: Announcing The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - A Supernatural Horror Adventure - 10/07/14 03:33 AM

What have you found as your best way to "manually save" BrownEyedTigre think

I am still hanging fire until someone reports that what they have done to save when they want to save has actually worked !! lol

Re: Announcing The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - A Supernatural Horror Adventure - 10/07/14 04:54 AM

I never got around to starting it yet Mad. I played a couple Ipad adventures instead. lol

Re: Announcing The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - A Supernatural Horror Adventure - 10/07/14 05:03 AM

Drat !! And there was I, relying on you for answers !! snicker

Re: Announcing The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - A Supernatural Horror Adventure - 10/07/14 05:12 AM

Mad, you can't quite save when you want to - nor did they provide a nice auto-save on exit. But they provided more frequent auto-saves and the ability to trigger another auto-save by replaying certain parts. It's not perfect, but it's doable. The game really is worth this aggravation...

Re: Announcing The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - A Supernatural Horror Adventure - 10/07/14 05:21 AM

"and the ability to trigger another auto-save by replaying certain parts "

So are these "certain parts" that have to be replayed plentiful enough that one will not be too far back from where a person might be wanting to save and quit ??

[Sorry, Draclvr. That sounds really badly put but I can't think of a better way to ask the question !! rolleyes]

Re: Announcing The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - A Supernatural Horror Adventure - 10/07/14 02:18 PM

Just start playing it! You use more more time discussing about it's save system than it takes to play the game through! lol

It's perfectly doable as it is at the moment, I felt it cought a saving point "all the time" after patch #2. smile

Timo

Re: Announcing The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - A Supernatural Horror Adventure - 10/07/14 03:14 PM

Yes, I'm aware that improvements have been made to the save facility but my playing time is precious and doesn't always extend to the two hours at a time or so that some people were originally having to play before the game made an auto-save rolleyes

So I'm making sure that when I DO play the game I won't find myself having to re-play a whole session because a save might not have been made yes

Re: Announcing The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - A Supernatural Horror Adventure - 10/07/14 03:21 PM

That's my situation too, Mad. If I have an hour, that's stretching it. But after the improvements they made, even I could play without too much trouble. After the 3rd patch, I think I only had one time that I left the game open when I had to go bowling so I wouldn't have to play that part again. I was in the middle of solving the murder in the graveyard.

I agree with TJL... just start playing and you'll be OK.

Re: Announcing The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - A Supernatural Horror Adventure - 10/08/14 08:59 AM

Well, for now the Adventure I've started is the new Sherlock.
But maybe I'll go for The Vanishing next - seeing as the saving is so improved !!

Thanks laugh

Re: Announcing The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - A Supernatural Horror Adventure - 10/08/14 02:37 PM

I just started playing after three days and played for about a hour. Went into some houses and went to different places. More than a hour I played and quit the game. Began playing again and started at the same place I started a hour ago. The saves aren't working for me. Back to Sherlock.
Richard

Re: Announcing The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - A Supernatural Horror Adventure - 10/08/14 03:00 PM

If you have correctly installed Patch #2 or #3 I bet it works for you and everybody else. But simply wandering around doesn't launch any save, you have to solve a murder or read a note Ethan has left. Revisiting a solved murder scene and clicking the corpse or re-reading Ethan's note also launches an auto-save. You can use this feature to force a 'manual' save if you haven't solved or found anything new to launch an auto-save during your current session. But until you have solved at least something it may be a bit hard. But that shouldn't be a problem really.

Timo

Re: Announcing The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - A Supernatural Horror Adventure - 10/08/14 03:08 PM

How do you force a manual save. I haven't heard of it. I installed the patches.
Richard

Re: Announcing The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - A Supernatural Horror Adventure - 10/08/14 03:22 PM

Revisiting a solved murder scene and clicking the corpse or re-reading Ethan's note launches an auto-save. Once you do either one, you save your current progress and imitate a 'manual' save.

Timo

Re: Announcing The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - A Supernatural Horror Adventure - 10/08/14 03:32 PM

Thanks Timo,will do.
Richard

Re: Announcing The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - A Supernatural Horror Adventure - 10/08/14 04:17 PM

Yes.....as Timo says, if I go back to where one of Ethan's notes are, and read it again, it seems to trigger an auto-save for me. So at least, then, you won't have to redo what you have already done.

Re: Announcing The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - A Supernatural Horror Adventure - 10/08/14 09:08 PM

where are Ethan's notes

Doreen

Re: Announcing The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - A Supernatural Horror Adventure - 10/08/14 09:16 PM

They are all around in the different scenes. You could look at a walkthrough to find out where they all are.
Posted By: The Haze

Re: Announcing The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - A Supernatural Horror Adventure - 10/08/14 11:33 PM

I am about halfway through the game and am loving it. The new (#3) patch helped a bit with this save mess. Players who are worried should know that some of the scenes are very short and the times between saves isn't that large of a problem. Indeed I just finished one scene where there was less that ten minutes between saves (And I am NOT very bright or very fast with these games.)

Re: Announcing The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - A Supernatural Horror Adventure - 10/09/14 02:19 AM

That's what I found too, Haze.

Re: Announcing The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - A Supernatural Horror Adventure - 10/09/14 06:36 AM

Oooooh !! Lots of "saving" help on this thread !! Thank you all very much happydance
Posted By: Kayc

Re: Announcing The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - A Supernatural Horror Adventure - 10/15/14 10:39 PM

This was a great game. Loved it! thumbsup Took me over 9 hours to finish it, but i did a lot of looking around, enjoying the scenery. I didn't care much for the save system, just took a little time to get use to it. When I had to leave the game, it didn't take long to get back to where I stopped playing.
The first time was the longest. I wasn't sure what I was doing then! happydance
Thanks
Kay
Posted By: Imari

Re: Announcing The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - A Supernatural Horror Adventure - 10/25/14 08:37 PM

I was seven hours playing it, but over an hour was lost in having to go back because I'd not reached a save point. (I passed up a spot that would have saved the game.) I ended up staying up most of the night to play it through so that I didn't have to start over again. In spite of the odd saving system (which I understand has something to do with the Unreal engine), the game was engaging. It had an interesting twist with the "ghosts" and was certainly beautiful.

Re: Announcing The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - A Supernatural Horror Adventure - 10/25/14 09:13 PM

Glad you enjoyed it Imari! I still have to find time to play.
© 2024 GameBoomers Community