GB HOMEPAGE

GOG.com Now Offering DRM-Free Movies

Posted By: Donald

GOG.com Now Offering DRM-Free Movies - 08/28/14 01:46 AM

GOG.com Now Offering DRM-Free Movies
Posted By: Marian

Re: GOG.com Now Offering DRM-Free Movies - 08/28/14 02:13 AM

Thanks, Donald. smile

I also saw that GOG is removing about thirty-five games from their catalogue - you will see the list on GOG - if you buy them between now and September 1st, they will stay in your Purchase History after they have been removed and you can download them at any time; all of these games are deeply discounted. There are only a few adventure games on the list and the rest are other genres. Worth checking out to see if anything on the list interests you before they are no longer for sale.
Posted By: venus

Re: GOG.com Now Offering DRM-Free Movies - 08/28/14 04:58 AM

It looks like they're removing the Black Mirror games, and they were just added to the site not too long ago. sad Luckily, I'd already bought Black Mirror 1. I went ahead and purchased the second, even though I already own the disk version. It's really a shame; I hope they come back at some point.
Posted By: Jenny100

Re: GOG.com Now Offering DRM-Free Movies - 08/28/14 04:25 PM

I'd already bought Black Mirror 1 at GOG and was waiting for them to offer Black Mirror 3 before buying Black Mirror 2, since the original Black Mirror 2 was only half the story. I went ahead and bought Black Mirror 2 today since GOG won't be selling it anymore.

But I think what GOG is selling as Black Mirror 2 may be both 2 and 3.

My Black Mirror 2 DVD was 3.25 GB.
However the total size of the Black Mirror installer files at GOG are a little over 4.2 GB.

So I wonder if GOG combined the original Black Mirror 2 and 3 into a single game and called it Black Mirror 2. That would explain why they never offered Black Mirror 3.
Posted By: Mad

Re: GOG.com Now Offering DRM-Free Movies - 08/28/14 10:12 PM

Originally Posted By: Marian
Thanks, Donald. smile

I also saw that GOG is removing about thirty-five games from their catalogue - you will see the list on GOG - if you buy them between now and September 1st, they will stay in your Purchase History after they have been removed and you can download them at any time; all of these games are deeply discounted. There are only a few adventure games on the list and the rest are other genres. Worth checking out to see if anything on the list interests you before they are no longer for sale.

Hi Marian.

I just visited GOG but couldn't find a list of "Games to be Discontinued".

Is it the "Sale" list ??

If it isn't, could you please provide a link ??

Cheers.

Mad smile

Re: GOG.com Now Offering DRM-Free Movies - 08/28/14 10:29 PM

Mad, the list of games that are being removed from the catalogue are the "Last Chance Special" sale games, which I presume is the list that you already saw when you were looking at GOG. wave
Posted By: Terri824

Re: GOG.com Now Offering DRM-Free Movies - 08/29/14 01:09 AM

Yep, not many Adventure games, unfortunately. The only one that I really would want to play again is "Dark Fall, The Journal. I have the game disk though. Guess I'd better check Drac's list to see if it can be played.

Re: GOG.com Now Offering DRM-Free Movies - 08/29/14 03:46 AM

Jenny, that's interesting! It seems as though the extras offered - poster, soundtrack, etc. - only pertain to Black Mirror 2 however. Maybe the file is just larger because they are offering different language selections? It's only speculation on my part; I haven't downloaded the game yet since I already have the disk version installed on my computer. Maybe my curiosity will get the better of me, and I'll try it out sooner than expected just to see what the reason is. smile If the download does included Black Mirror 3, then we really got a bargain with two games for little over 2 dollars. yes

Re: GOG.com Now Offering DRM-Free Movies - 08/29/14 06:13 AM

Originally Posted By: Marian
Mad, the list of games that are being removed from the catalogue are the "Last Chance Special" sale games, which I presume is the list that you already saw when you were looking at GOG. wave

I saw a "Sale" heading but not a "Last Chance Special" woozy

I'll go take another look in case I just can't see what's right under my nose lol

Thanks, Marian smile
Posted By: kjos

Re: GOG.com Now Offering DRM-Free Movies - 08/29/14 10:56 AM

Maybe i'm doing something wrong but I couldn't find any movies. I don't know what those so called movies are for sale. They don't look like movies to me. I sure would like to know what I'm doing wrong. Richard
Posted By: Kootsie

Welcome to the fresher, better GOG.com! - 08/29/14 12:52 PM

GOG is launching feature movies. They have refurbished their website as well and presently are offering two free movies for downloading.

Check it out :)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZQL-8SDyi8
Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

Re: GOG.com Now Offering DRM-Free Movies - 08/29/14 12:53 PM

Richard click on the link in Donald's post and then click on DRM FREE MOVIES. They really aren't what I would call movies.
Posted By: Coreoverload

Re: GOG.com Now Offering DRM-Free Movies - 08/29/14 10:08 PM

I picked up the two movies, because, well, who can resist free?

Also, got Black Mirror 1 and 2 in the sale. Sounded intriguing. I also bought something called Silver based only on the reviews and the 1.49 price.

And finally, finally, bought the Sierra Quest games I was missing (except PQ Swat). Unfortunately, my "BAAGS" side doesn't have an answer to the question "when in the world are you going to have time to play all these?!"
Posted By: kjos

Re: GOG.com Now Offering DRM-Free Movies - 08/29/14 10:28 PM

Looking at all the movies but they aren't movies and they cost $6. I really don't know what they mean. Why would you buy them. I got one free one and played it and it was a making of a game. Maybe later they will come out with some real movies.
Richard
Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

Re: GOG.com Now Offering DRM-Free Movies - 08/30/14 01:49 AM

They remind me of the podcasts on the app store, but those are free.

Re: GOG.com Now Offering DRM-Free Movies - 08/30/14 01:52 AM

I think the hope (and plan) is to expand the catalogue to include bigger and better things.

Re: GOG.com Now Offering DRM-Free Movies - 08/30/14 05:41 AM

Yes, none of those movies interested me at all, either. I'll stick with Netflix and Amazon Prime. Maybe at some point they'll have more to offer. I do like the idea of downloadable DRM free movies. smile
Posted By: Jenny100

Re: GOG.com Now Offering DRM-Free Movies - 08/30/14 03:07 PM

Originally Posted By: Terri824
Yep, not many Adventure games, unfortunately.

I would say fortunately, not unfortunately, since all the games in this particular 80% off sale will no longer be available for purchase at GOG after September 1. It's sad that GOG will no longer offer the Dark Fall or Black Mirror games.

The first Black Mirror game was only available at GOG for a short time, so I wonder if there was some difficulty in getting it to play reliably on modern computers. I always thought it was the best of the Black Mirror series.

Re: GOG.com Now Offering DRM-Free Movies - 08/30/14 08:09 PM

"So I wonder if GOG combined the original Black Mirror 2 and 3 into a single game and called it Black Mirror 2. That would explain why they never offered Black Mirror 3."

I'm hoping you are right, Jenny100 and that I haven't ended up buying just half a game with my GOG purchase of Black Mirror 2 !! eek

Re: GOG.com Now Offering DRM-Free Movies - 08/31/14 12:22 PM

Jenny, actually GOG really cleaned up Black Mirror. I have the DRM free Gamersgate version, but there is a horrible static noise that plays in several areas, even when using compatibility settings. I had to play the game with the sound turned way down and the subtitles on, which was far from ideal. I took a chance with the GOG version and was glad I did! There is no static issue whatsoever, which means playing the game is a much more pleasant experience. I definitely recommend the GOG version to anyone interested, as the one working version out there will be going away soon. I was even reading on the Steam forums that they have the old, static-y version, so it appears as though GOG's vanishing version is the only one that actually works properly.

Mad, let us know if you find out! I won't be replaying BM 2 for quite some time, as I had just played it before GOG got it in. If the package doesn't include BM 3, don't you have the disk version? If not, you can get it here - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Black-Mirror-III...black+mirror+3. You're in the UK, right? I wouldn't be able to buy this version, but luckily, I already have it. smile You could pick this one up if it turns out it's not in the GOG package.
Posted By: oldbroad

Re: GOG.com Now Offering DRM-Free Movies - 08/31/14 06:05 PM

Also, Shiny Loot has The Black Mirror games and I believe they are DRM free. They run sales often.

Edit: The 2nd and 3rd games show DRM Free. The 1st game shows that it requires Steam.

Re: GOG.com Now Offering DRM-Free Movies - 08/31/14 06:50 PM

Mad, let us know if you find out! I won't be replaying BM 2 for quite some time, as I had just played it before GOG got it in. If the package doesn't include BM 3, don't you have the disk version? If not, you can get it here - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Black-Mirror-III...black+mirror+3. You're in the UK, right? I wouldn't be able to buy this version, but luckily, I already have it. smile You could pick this one up if it turns out it's not in the GOG package.

Hi Venus smile
I won't be playing any of the Black Mirror games in the near future, either.
I bought them as "back-ups" really - because of the fabulous sale prices.
[I have the original disk versions for all three in the series and, happily, still have working older computers that will play them.]

Re: GOG.com Now Offering DRM-Free Movies - 08/31/14 07:34 PM

@Mad, Okay, good, I figured your probably had the disk version but just thought I would give you a link in case you didn't. smile I know exactly what you mean by using GOG as backup. I've done that with several of my older games. grin There are a few I haven't even downloaded yet that are just sitting there as backup versions. lol

Re: GOG.com Now Offering DRM-Free Movies - 08/31/14 08:58 PM

I find GOG to be a marvellouse resource !! happydance
© 2024 GameBoomers Community