GB HOMEPAGE

Hollywood Monsters

Posted By: Mad

Hollywood Monsters - 12/05/14 04:58 PM

I was interested to read that in the post concerning "Black Sails : The Ghost Ship", ShinjiGR mentions having an English translation available for Pendulos's "Hollywood Monsters".

So I've been scouting round to see if the game can still be purchased anywhere ??

But I've not had any luck finding it so far rolleyes
Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

Re: Hollywood Monsters - 12/05/14 05:28 PM

Both Pendulo and Dinamic Multimedia went bankrupt so it may not be available for legal distribution anywhere.

Ana wave
Posted By: Marian

Re: Hollywood Monsters - 12/05/14 05:30 PM

I found one in Spanish on eBay years ago. wave

Re: Hollywood Monsters - 12/05/14 05:39 PM

Thank you both grin

I guess I'm not going to find it then duh

[I knew about Pendulo but was hoping I might still find a used copy of the game somewhere yes]
Posted By: Ewil02

Re: Hollywood Monsters - 12/05/14 05:40 PM

How good is your Spanish? If I'm not mistaken, FX Interactive is selling the game until 12/15 for .95 euro. It may be difficult to understand the website without a translator- I picked it up in 2012 when they offered it for free.

http://juegos.fxinteractive.com/game.php?id=22&Hollywood-Monsters-espanol-aventuras

Re: Hollywood Monsters - 12/05/14 08:15 PM

Thanks for that link, Ewil02 thumbsup

My Spanish is non-existent but I have sent an email (composed using a Google translator) and asked if they will deliver to the UK - and said I can pay using PayPal.

If they say "yes" then I'll have to think about how I can actually order it as no doubt I would have to register at the site and supply all sorts of information eek
Posted By: flotsam

Re: Hollywood Monsters - 12/05/14 11:02 PM

I don't believe it was ever available for sale but I understand that copies do exist
Posted By: Jenny100

Re: Hollywood Monsters - 12/05/14 11:11 PM

There is a video playlist of the complete game with English subtitles uploaded by 123Pazu
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6E54FD917C692E4C

Re: Hollywood Monsters - 12/06/14 02:44 PM

Thanks, Jenny100, I'll take a look smile

flotsam ....
If the game was never offered for sale I don't quite understand how copies can exist think

Re: Hollywood Monsters - 12/06/14 05:45 PM

Originally Posted By: Mad
flotsam ....
If the game was never offered for sale I don't quite understand how copies can exist

I think flotsam is referring to the English language version.

Re: Hollywood Monsters - 12/06/14 06:05 PM

Oh. So flotsam just means copies other than in English exist ??

Re: Hollywood Monsters - 12/06/14 08:42 PM

Sorry Mad that was confusing crazy
I remember reading somewhere ages ago that it was done in English but never got released but that unofficial copies were out there.
May have been wishful thinking
Play Next Big Thing instead - looks very similar wave

Re: Hollywood Monsters - 12/06/14 08:51 PM

Originally Posted By: Mad
Oh. So flotsam just means copies other than in English exist ??

Flotsam said "I don't believe it was ever available for sale but I understand that copies do exist."

Games aren't always released, even after they are finished. The publisher decides that the cost of publishing the game will exceed the revenue from selling it and that's the end of it. That doesn't mean that there aren't copies of what would have been the official release if it had been released.

There certainly was a Spanish release though.

There's a little about the game at the ***Web Archive of the JustAdventure Review of Hollywood Monsters***
Quote:
Hollywood Monsters is an older game from the Spanish developer Pendulo Studios, who are probably better known for their more recent Runaway: A Road Adventure game. It should be noted that Hollywood Monsters is not publicly avaliable in English, and as of this writing it is unclear whether it ever will be. The distributor of the Spanish version was a company Dinamic which unfortunately ceased to exist.

Re: Hollywood Monsters - 12/07/14 12:11 AM

Mad, I'm not sure if there is a disc version of the game around. The one being sold by FX Interactive on the link above appears to be the digital download. The one I got from them a couple years ago was also a download version. Hopefully the email response you get from them will be good news.

Re: Hollywood Monsters - 12/07/14 02:58 PM

Thanks very much, flotsam and Jenny100 thumbsup

I hadn't realised it was a download on offer from FX Interactive, Ewil02, but that would be fine.
However, I haven't heard anything from them at all.

Maybe my "translated" Spanish email to them was simply not good enough sad
Posted By: MaG

Re: Hollywood Monsters - 12/07/14 05:41 PM

wave
Adventure Game Shop is out of stock of Howllywood Monster 2 - Italian version.
You might ask them when or if they know where to get one - #1 & 2.

Re: Hollywood Monsters - 12/07/14 05:47 PM

Just in case anyone is confused,
"Hollywood Monsters 2" is the same game as "The Next Big Thing" which was released in English 3 years ago
http://www.mobygames.com/game/next-big-thing
http://www.mobygames.com/game/next-big-thing/cover-art/gameCoverId,218967/
Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

Re: Hollywood Monsters - 12/07/14 06:51 PM

Thanks, Jenny! Good to know.
Posted By: mbday630

Re: Hollywood Monsters - 12/07/14 06:58 PM

I think they can speak English. If I remember correctly, I wrote them in English. I downloaded the game from that site and with the patch one can play the game perfectly. And I might add, I loved the game. lots of exploration, great puzzles, good dialogue, just a really great game. If you can get this game as a download and install the patch, I really recommend it. Loads of fun! Hollywood monsters 2 is the Next Big Thing, as far as I know.
Posted By: MaG

Re: Hollywood Monsters - 12/07/14 08:10 PM

Thanks Jenny.
Posted By: oldbroad

Re: Hollywood Monsters - 12/07/14 08:48 PM

[removed link]

Is this a safe site to download it from?

Re: Hollywood Monsters - 12/07/14 09:45 PM

Oldbroad, I edited out your link. I wouldn't recommend downloading from that site and I'm not sure if it would even be legal. Either way, I wouldn't take the risk. wave
Posted By: kjos

Re: Hollywood Monsters - 12/07/14 10:36 PM

Is the The Next Big Thing a xp or 7 game. Just wondering. I have it on the adventure shop.
Richard

Re: Hollywood Monsters - 12/07/14 10:46 PM

It looks like it supports both XP and Windows 7.
Posted By: oldbroad

Re: Hollywood Monsters - 12/08/14 02:00 AM

Thanks Marian. I really wasn't sure I should put it because I didn't want somebody following it and getting into trouble. That particular page did have a green WOT rating though so I took a chance. (Not on downloading anything; just showing it here to ask the question.)

Re: Hollywood Monsters - 12/08/14 02:04 AM

I understand. It didn't have a bad WOT rating, but some of the comments from folks that I read there made me uneasy. Better to be safe than sorry, as the expression goes. smile
Posted By: lakerz

Re: Hollywood Monsters - 12/08/14 08:02 AM

The big box version of Hollywood Monsters never had an English release. There is indeed an English version floating around (pre translation patch). The seller who sold me the boxed Hollywood Monsters long ago also sent me a DVD or CD of the English version. I played around with it, but it seemed glitchy to me and not all of the text was translated. Later on, I downloaded the digital copy of the game from juegos.fxinteractive and applied the english translation patch, and that version was quite stable and played well from beginning to end. So as an oddity, the english version does exist, but for actually playing the game, the translation patch that came out is the way to go.

Re: Hollywood Monsters - 12/08/14 03:19 PM

Hi - And thank you ALL for your responses !! thumbsup

I have at last got it !!

Continuing to persevere with the trusty Google Translator, I was finally able to register at the site Ewil02 posted (thank you for that Ewil02) and buy and download Hollywood Monsters dance dance dance

And when I have more time, hopefully later today, I'll get the "English" patch.

[I already have "The Next Big Thing" but didn't realise it was Hollywood Monsters 2.]

I can't TELL you how many times you folk here at Gameboomers have helped me out.
What a splendid bunch you are .. Thank you .. Thank you .. praise

EDIT 2 :
A quick last question. [I hope !!]
The patch description warns that "the game CD must be in the drive".
Will it still work with the download version ??

EDIT 2
Well. Sadly ALL IS NOT WELL eek
When I came to look at what had downloaded - all I actually had was a file called FXWebPlayer.
[742KB Application (exe.)]
Which doesn't appear to do anything woozy !!
I do have a receipt and keycode from the FXInteractive - and of course my PayPal receipt - but that's it !!
I did wonder if the keycode is what I must use to download the actual game - but I can't see any place to use it.
So I've emailed FX (in English this time) to ask for a direct download link.

Mad duh

Re: Hollywood Monsters - 12/08/14 11:04 PM

Hi Mad-
Sorry it's not working out like you planned. Did you try running the FXWebPlayer file? When I downloaded the game I had to use their download manager similar to Big Fish (complete with ads). I'm wondering if that's what the FXwebplayer is?
Also, you mentioned that you got an email with the key code, but did you get a second email confirming your registration? I got a separate email with a link "confirmar mi cuenta FX" and when you access that link I think you can input key codes for games. Good luck.

Re: Hollywood Monsters - 12/09/14 03:09 PM

Hi Ewil02 smile

Thank you for continuing to offer advice. Much appreciated !!
[I have Win98SE, Winxp and Win7. So when I actually have the game, do you know where it would be best to install it ??]

Also, I've been replied to by FXInteractive now (in English, thankfully) and they told me that FXWebPlayer is a "plug-in" which needs to be activated - and recommended I use Firefox.
So I have done that.
But I still can't find the place at their site where I can download the game files and so I've had to ask for further assisstance rolleyes

Hopefully, in a few more days I will have this game successfully installed lol

Cheers.

Mad grin

Re: Hollywood Monsters - 12/09/14 09:07 PM

Wow Mad - I thought I went to lengths at time to play something, but this must warrant some sort of award praise

Re: Hollywood Monsters - 12/09/14 09:20 PM

Hi Mad-

I've got my game on a Win 7 machine. It's located in C:/Program Files(x86) in a folder named Hollywood Monsters. The executable is 'Monsters.exe'. I don't recall changing the location of the installation.

I did check on the FX site again and found this-"To download and install your games from your browser on to your computer, you need to download the FX Web Player. Once the download is complete, you need to run the file FXWebPlayer.exe to complete the installation."
It sounds like you've already done this. I would think that you can run the player, input your password and then be able to download your game. Another thing you can do is to go to the FX Interactive site at the link above, access your account (accreder a mi cuenta fx-email and password), then click on Mi Perfil- it should have your game listed below- click on it and then it should download or play.

I meant to tell you that once you have the game and English patch installed, when you first run the game, hit 'escape' which will pull up the settings page. Make sure the 'text' bullet is activated at the bottom, then you should be able to see the English text when you go back to the game.

Re: Hollywood Monsters - 12/10/14 03:39 AM

Please let us know if you get this going. I really really really enjoyed the game. One of the better ones for an old game. I sure am hoping that it works for you.

Re: Hollywood Monsters - 12/10/14 05:16 PM

flotsam ....
Although I'm not always successful I do always try to finish what I've started ;)

Ewil02 ....
Thanks to your help I have at last managed to download and install Hollywood Monsters BUT I am not out of the woods yet !!

After I apply the English patch and launch the game, I get an error message to say there's no CD in the drive and can't go any further smashpc

So, as both you and mbday630 apparently used a patch that did work with the download may I please ask where you acquired it so I can get a copy ??

Thanks.

Mad taz

Re: Hollywood Monsters - 12/10/14 05:54 PM

Hi Mad-

I'm not sure where you got the English patch you used, but the link below is where I got it, and it specifically mentions that it's for the digital version, so you shouldn't get the no cd error.

http://shinji-nerd-life.blogspot.com/search?updated-min=2012-01-01T00:00:00-08:00&updated-max=2013-01-01T00:00:00-08:00&max-results=9

Look for the Hollywood Monsters in English- Part II section.

Re: Hollywood Monsters - 12/10/14 07:23 PM

Ewil02 and all who have contributed !! Thank you SO much. You are absolute STARS !! bravo12

Using the info and advice you have so kindly and patiently provided I now have Hollywood Monsters up and running perfectly happydance12

Yahoo !!!!

Mad thumbsup12

Re: Hollywood Monsters - 12/10/14 08:03 PM

Congratulations, Mad!! bravo12

A big thank you to all the helpers. thumbsup12
Posted By: sanford

Re: Hollywood Monsters - 12/11/14 05:14 AM

Hi,
I have been trying to register with the website. I filled out the "form" sent it and I get a message that "We have sent an e-mail to "my" e-mail in order to complete the registration process." I did NOT get an e-mail from them. I even tried registering under another one of my AOL names, and still nothing in THAT mailbox. (also NOT in either Spam folder.
Any suggestions, Please?
Sandy

Re: Hollywood Monsters - 12/11/14 04:36 PM

Hi sanford kissy

I can only suggest that you contact their Customer Services ??
[mail@fxinteractive.com]

I initially contacted them in Spanish (using a Google translater) but later they replied to me in English - so I would email their Customer Services in English and explain your problem.
[But allow a few days for a reply. It was four days before I received one.]

Also, my hassle was in trying to navigate their site and download the game once I had purchased it. Not quite the same difficulty as you are experiencing.

luck

Mad smile12
Posted By: sanford

Re: Hollywood Monsters - 12/12/14 01:17 AM

Thanks, Mad,
Somehow I'm getting the feeling that this whole hassle just isn't worth the bother, so I probably will skip it altogether. There's always another game to be played. Thanks for your valued input, though.
Sandy

Re: Hollywood Monsters - 12/12/14 04:32 PM

I think you might be missing out on a "goodie" sanford - but I fully appreciate you might not want to go through the hassle I did !! rotfl12
Posted By: frazap

Re: Hollywood Monsters - 12/17/14 10:01 AM

I downloaded the Spanish version for free from the publisher a couple of years back and it worked fine with the english patch. Didn't get many hours into it though. Terrible game. One of the hardest and most unfair ones I've played. A million stupid things in the inventory and as many hotspots in the game environment and no clue as to what to do to to move things forward. Gameplay more or less consisted of random clicking and combining stuff in the inventory. Reminded me a little of another early Pendulo game, Igor, but I got through that one at least.

I really liked The Next BIG Thing though, which based on my few hours with Hollywood Monsters seems to be a remake of the older game.
Posted By: CountZero

Re: Hollywood Monsters - 12/18/14 06:51 PM

I downloaded the game and the english patch. Plays perfectly on Windows 7. I think it is worth the small hassle to get this game. I am having lots of fun playing it.....

Re: Hollywood Monsters - 12/18/14 06:56 PM

That's great, CountZero; thanks for letting us know. happydance12

Re: Hollywood Monsters - 12/18/14 07:47 PM

I had lots of fun playing it too. There were a few times that you had to have quick reflexes to grab an inventory item, but, after knowing what I had to do and make sure my mouse was directly on the item and able to click on it when the time came, made it okay. In fact, I think I will have to play this one again this week.

edit: no, won't get to play it this week. The 4th chapter of BOuT just came out and I want to get into that game!
Posted By: CountZero

Re: Hollywood Monsters - 12/20/14 03:15 AM

Im surprised this game did not have a wider distribution. It was quite fun to play.
© 2024 GameBoomers Community