GB HOMEPAGE

Announcing Demetrios - The BIG Cynical Adventure

Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

Announcing Demetrios - The BIG Cynical Adventure - 06/09/15 03:30 PM

"Demetrios - The BIG cynical adventure" game announced for PC

Check out the demo on the official website here.

Check out the screenshots here

Quote:
June 9th, 2015 - Saint Etienne, France

COWCAT, a new company based in France, has announced its first video game : "Demetrios - The BIG cynical adventure".

Inspired by classic such as the Broken Sword and Runaway series, this new Point & Click adventure has a distinct use of cynical humor to justify the characters' motivations, and invites you to travel through multiple locations such as France, Germany and a mysterious African country.

It features high definition (1080p) handcrafted art, and offers varied puzzles, for beginners and experts alike, and a high level of interactivity.

The game puts you in the shoes of Bjorn Thonen, an antique seller being robbed one night after coming back home drunk. Doing his own investigation with the help of Sandra, his next-door neighbor, he ends up involved in a mysterious and murky affair. But these two unlikely heroes may be able to surpass themselves and discover ancient secrets!

- Planned release : Early 2016

- Platforms : PC (Windows/Mac/Linux)

- Distribution :
* Digital : DRM-Free on the company site, GOG, Steam
* Physical : A limited box DVD version is planned, sold directly on the company site

- Supported languages : English, French (possibly Spanish and German at the time of release)

Happy Gaming!

Ana wave
Posted By: Marian

Re: Announcing Demetrios - The BIG Cynical Adventure - 06/09/15 03:34 PM

Thanks for the info, Ana. wave
Posted By: MaG

Re: Announcing Demetrios - The BIG Cynical Adventure - 06/09/15 03:53 PM

Thanks, Ana.
Posted By: Mad

Re: Announcing Demetrios - The BIG Cynical Adventure - 06/09/15 04:34 PM

Thank you, BrownEyedTigre grin
Posted By: Haroula

Re: Announcing Demetrios - The BIG Cynical Adventure - 06/09/15 04:39 PM

Thanks, Ana. smile
Posted By: Space Quest Fan

Re: Announcing Demetrios - The BIG Cynical Adventure - 06/10/15 02:08 AM

Thanks for the links Ana. smile
Posted By: Kaki's Sister

Re: Announcing Demetrios - The BIG Cynical Adventure - 06/10/15 10:17 AM

Thanks Ana. wave
Posted By: Cathy1

Re: Announcing Demetrios - The BIG Cynical Adventure - 06/10/15 04:26 PM

Thanks Ana.I just went to their website and they have a demo available now.
I'm going to check it out now.

Cathy

EDIT.... I just finished playing the demo. It took me almost 3 hours.
I looked at everything though and found all my cookies. This is an excellent game. I can't wait for it to be released. I hope there will be voices in it though.
Posted By: sanford

Re: Announcing Demetrios - The BIG Cynical Adventure - 06/10/15 09:44 PM

Thank you much, Ana.
Sandy
Posted By: COWCAT

Re: Announcing Demetrios - The BIG Cynical Adventure - 06/10/15 09:55 PM

Hello!

I'm the creator / developer of this game smile

Thank you for the very nice words, Cathy1! It's great to have feedback like this! smile

The demo is about 1/6th of the game smile (some chapters are shorter, but I may lengthen them a bit)
Other people completed it in one hour and a half, but that depends on how much you use the ingame help and how much you spend time on the interactions.

About the voices : I talked about it on the Adventure Gamers forums. http://www.adventuregamers.com/forums/viewthread/5556

Quote:

I’ve been pondering whether or not to include voiceover, but I’m leaning towards “no”.

The reasons :

- Bad voice acting can destroy a game. (eg : The Whispered World was awesome, except for…that) So if I hired voice actors, I’d need professionals, and that would be very expensive.

- The game is meant to have tons of text, because there are tons of possible interactions. So a voice acting would be very costly.

- This is my first game project, and I want to reduce the costs as much as possible. So I’m doing everything myself. I did not start a kickstarter or anything to fund the game, it’s all done on my personal finances currently. (yes, I’m working full time on it, and this project is to prove myself in the gaming industry)

- Some games didn’t need voices to be awesome and give characters personality! (Visual novels like Phoenix Wright games, for example.)

However, if the game is a success, maybe I could change my mind on this.

I have plans for a Kickstarter though, probably near the end of the year. Including voiceover will definitely be one of the goals smile

Re: Announcing Demetrios - The BIG Cynical Adventure - 06/10/15 10:10 PM

A warm welcome to GameBoomers, Cowcat. Nice to see you here. smile

Re: Announcing Demetrios - The BIG Cynical Adventure - 06/10/15 10:18 PM

Thanks for the extra info Cowcat. Voices are not really necessary,I'm just spoiled.LOL. I only used 1 cookie throughout. I found the first one by accident.
There was one glitch that I came across. When I first looked at the dvd,a large version of the save game feature was stuck at the top left of my screen. It didn't cover any of the game screen though,so it didn't impede my gameplay. I loved the dying bits. I tried to die many different ways,just to get a laugh,which I did many times. Looking forward to the finished product. Keep up the excellent work.
Take Care.
Cathy

Re: Announcing Demetrios - The BIG Cynical Adventure - 06/10/15 10:57 PM

welcome to GameBoomers cowcat!

Re: Announcing Demetrios - The BIG Cynical Adventure - 06/11/15 03:19 PM

Yes, that bug happens when your screen isn't 16/9. I'll investigate into it!

Also, aside from the positive feedbacks, a few things have been reported by other people who have tried the demo.

Some think there are too many interactions, almost making it look like a "hidden object" games. So I will remove a few totally useless hotspots or gather some together.
I will also change the icons to separate objects we can look at and objects we can use / take, in a similar way to Broken Sword.

The inventory bar caused some issues for some too (sometimes getting in the way, or not understanding why there's an icon but cannot be clicked), so I'm going to change the way to open it. (clicking on icon instead of hovering to the bottom)

Expect a new version of the demo soon! smile

Oh and thank you for the welcome!
Posted By: Kaki's Sister

Re: Announcing Demetrios - The BIG Cynical Adventure - 06/12/15 10:48 AM

Hi and Welcome to GB Cowcat! wave

Re: Announcing Demetrios - The BIG Cynical Adventure - 07/05/15 10:23 PM

There you go! A new demo version 1.1 is now available! smile

The previous demo version (1.0) was met with very positive feedbacks so far (thanks everyone!)

Some of you have suggested a few things to improve, and have encountered some minor bugs.

So, I've made some changes :

- Added hotspots view! Just press the SPACE bar, or click the button in the top interface, to see all the things on screen.

Normal room view :
http://www.demetriosgame.com/images/comm/hotspotsoff.jpg

Hotspots view :
http://www.demetriosgame.com/images/comm/hotspotson.jpg

- Added "look" icon, to separate hotspots we can act on (often the most important ones), and hotspots we can look. (This might make the game a bit easier, but less daunting)

http://www.demetriosgame.com/images/comm/iconlook.jpg

- Inventory and menu bars now open when clicking on a button (instead of hovering at the bottom / top), and stay open until we click again or leave the room

http://www.demetriosgame.com/images/comm/interface.jpg

Other changes :

- Fixed the sound volume interface
- Faster text writing
- The royalty free music is now without watermark (licence bought)
- Removed Tom's accent, which most people found awkward
- Removed some useless / confusing interactions here and there
- Fixed a bug with parts of the interface staying on screen on monitors without a 16/9 aspect ratio
- Corrected some music bugs (in some cases, the music wouldn't play or loop)

To download the new demo version, go to the official game site and enter your email address just below the banner.

(NB : Entering your email will only get you a private download link, you won't receive the newsletter or anything else)

For the people who already download the previous version, this has the exact same content, which is the whole Chapter 1 (between one and two hours of gameplay)

Re: Announcing Demetrios - The BIG Cynical Adventure - 07/06/15 02:33 AM

Thanks, Cowcat!

Ana wave

Re: Announcing Demetrios - The BIG Cynical Adventure - 08/14/15 10:01 PM

The Demetrios game project has progressed quite a lot lately, so it's time for a quick update status!

http://www.demetriosgame.com/images/comm/nogohotel.jpg

First, the preview demo has been fully translated to French. It's working great and it didn't take a long time to implement, so this definitely opens the possibility to new languages translations for the release smile
The language (English or French) is automatically detected on startup, according to your operating system language. (NB : It can also be changed manually in the options)

Also, Mac and Linux exports have been officially added!

I've corrected a few things, especially some performance issues : the game would slow down more and more as you'd play it, and this also made the Mac version crash often (memory leaks and such) Now it's fixed!

You can now download the preview version directly on the site (no email required anymore!) Also the Windows version now comes with an installer, and includes DirectX installation (some people had trouble with that)

-----------------------------

DOWNLOAD THE DEMO :

http://www.demetriosgame.com/images/demo.jpg

The demo is available for Windows, Mac and Linux, right here : http://www.demetriosgame.com/en/demo/

I've got a whole lot more to talk about, as I've been having great progress lately - but I'll save that for later. Stay tuned! smile

Re: Announcing Demetrios - The BIG Cynical Adventure - 08/14/15 11:50 PM

Thanks for the update Cowcat!

Ana wave

Re: Announcing Demetrios - The BIG Cynical Adventure - 08/16/15 03:56 AM

Thanks for the update Cowcat.

Cathy1 dance

Re: Announcing Demetrios - The BIG Cynical Adventure - 08/23/15 10:08 AM

Lately I've been working on an HTML5 version of the demo. That way, people can try the game without having to download it! (which is tedious for many people who just won't bother)

I am using Game Maker Studio to make this game. If some of you are interested, check this ‪‎devblog‬ entry on my site for more details!

http://www.demetriosgame.com/en/news/HTML5_version/23.html

I’ll let you know when it’s available smile

Re: Announcing Demetrios - The BIG Cynical Adventure - 08/23/15 03:14 PM

Looking good Cowcat!

Re: Announcing Demetrios - The BIG Cynical Adventure - 08/29/15 03:19 PM

Well, I've finished programming a HTML5 version of the demo. (that you can play directly in your browser!)

This is a test version, would some of you try it and let me know if you encounter problems?

http://www.demetriosgame.com/publicdownload/demo/indexen.html
Posted By: Draclvr

Re: Announcing Demetrios - The BIG Cynical Adventure - 08/29/15 03:51 PM

It worked great for me, Cowcat. Is there supposed to be a FPS=59, 60 etc. in the upper left?
Posted By: Winfrey

Re: Announcing Demetrios - The BIG Cynical Adventure - 08/29/15 04:34 PM

It's playing for me also. I too have a FPS=31,30,29.....
I played on a Surface Pro 3
Posted By: Iurii

Re: Announcing Demetrios - The BIG Cynical Adventure - 08/29/15 04:35 PM

COWCAT, it does not work for me on Opera 12.17. Just black screen saying "WebGL is Required to run this application" frown
I know, that browser of mine is outdated now. But no other is comfortable like it.

Re: Announcing Demetrios - The BIG Cynical Adventure - 08/29/15 10:42 PM

Quote:
It worked great for me, Cowcat. Is there supposed to be a FPS=59, 60 etc. in the upper left?

Yes, that's a test version. Looks like it's working fast on your computer!

Quote:
It's playing for me also. I too have a FPS=31,30,29.....
I played on a Surface Pro 3

Good, I wasn't certain it would work OK on a tablet!

Quote:
COWCAT, it does not work for me on Opera 12.17. Just black screen saying "WebGL is Required to run this application" frown
I know, that browser of mine is outdated now. But no other is comfortable like it.

Yes it requires WebGL, and it's only supported on the most recent versions / browsers.
HTML5 is still kinda new so that's not very surprising, the latest stable Opera version is 31.0.
In that case you can still play the offline demo : http://www.demetriosgame.com/en/demo/

(Which is better anyway, I made the HTML5 version so people can play it more quickly without having to install it)
Posted By: Iurii

Re: Announcing Demetrios - The BIG Cynical Adventure - 08/30/15 08:50 AM

Originally Posted By: COWCAT

Yes it requires WebGL, and it's only supported on the most recent versions / browsers.
HTML5 is still kinda new so that's not very surprising, the latest stable Opera version is 31.0.

But Opera 12.17 does support WebGL and HTML5! WebGL Rubik's Cube works fine for me.
Version 12.17 is the latest 'real' Opera unfortunately. Opera 15 and further is a kind of Chrome.

Re: Announcing Demetrios - The BIG Cynical Adventure - 08/30/15 08:57 AM

In that case it's weird, it's probably Game Maker that doesn't detect it properly. I don't have a control over this.
But in any case, the HTML5 version is only for the demo. I had to make some sacrifices to make it run (lower res, more compressed, loadings...)
The best version is still the downloadable version wink

Re: Announcing Demetrios - The BIG Cynical Adventure - 09/04/15 10:23 AM

I might need some help!

Is anyone interested to help with proofreading? smile

As you may know, I'm French, and my English isn't perfect. I would like someone to do a proofreading of my Kickstarter page and the game demo text.

I can offer a little money (though don't expect a lot, I'm on a budget - but we can discuss that!)

So, anyone?
Posted By: Draclvr

Re: Announcing Demetrios - The BIG Cynical Adventure - 09/04/15 02:50 PM

I PM'd you, Cowcat.

Re: Announcing Demetrios - The BIG Cynical Adventure - 09/04/15 02:59 PM

Great! Thank you! smile

Re: Announcing Demetrios - The BIG Cynical Adventure - 09/12/15 04:29 PM

I can officially announce that Demetrios will be launched on both Kickstarter AND Steam Greenlight on October 6th smile (next month!)

http://www.demetriosgame.com/images/comm/logokssmall.jpg

If you'd like to support it already, I have created a ThunderClap for that!
https://www.thunderclap.it/projects/31397-demetrios-on-kickstarter

If you don't know what ThunderClap is, it allows to gather support from people in order to post an automatic message at a specific date on their Facebook/Twitter (for example when my Kickstarter will be live!)

Re: Announcing Demetrios - The BIG Cynical Adventure - 09/18/15 01:18 PM

Good luck COWCAT.

Cathy puppy

Re: Announcing Demetrios - The BIG Cynical Adventure - 09/29/15 03:20 PM

Time flies by so quickly! smile

The Kickstarter and Steam Greenlight launches that I've planned for months will finally happen in a few days!
Both pages will be online simultaneously on October 6th - which is next tuesday.

For that occasion, I've been preparing an updated demo of the game (v1.3). This takes account of all the feedback I've had so far!

CHANGES SINCE 1.2 :
- HTML5 version of the demo available!

You can now run the demo directly in your browser! See here on the site : http://www.demetriosgame.com/en/demo/

- New Bjorn and Sandra expressions!

Despite my game being a Point & Click, the Ace Attorney series had quite a big influence on it!
And this is why pretty much every character in the game will have several animated expressions!

- Cookies are bigger and easier to find!

Most people found that cookies were a very interesting concept. They're hidden on screens and you need to find them to get in-game hints. So it's kinda like an optional game in the game!

However, they were a bit TOO well hidden. So I have resized each of them about 1.5 to 2 times.

Also, there's a new cookie counter, which gives you how many cookies are left to find in each room! This should make the search more attractive smile

- English and French texts have been proofread

English isn't my native language, and Draclvr from here has been kind enough to proofread the game text. There should be way less mistakes now smile

Another adventure game fan also did the French text proofreading - even though I'm French, I still make some spelling mistakes razz

- Corrected windows interfaces to make them prettier

Some of them had been very quickly done for the first prototype, and I never changed them. Now it looks better and more professional!

- Corrected fonts for french and spanish characters

Accented language-specific characters would not display. I had to modify the TTF font manually to make them appear!
Finding good-looking copyleft fonts is very difficult, and fonts with support for every language is next to impossible!
I didn't want to revert back to basic fonts like Arial or Verdana, so this was pretty much the only solution.

- Improved game performance

I've added a cache for dialogs and translations texts when changing room, so they're not loaded at every room switch. This makes for a much smoother experience! Now changing room is near-instant on modern computers!

- Improved hotspots view (prettier and texts don't overlap anymore)

- Automatic framerate detection

The game will run at 60FPS or 30FPS according to your computer abilities! This is detected during the game startup.
Frameskip is managed manually in the game engine (all the variables related to speeds like timers are doubled at each step)

If you'd like to try the new demo, it's available on my site : http://www.demetriosgame.com/en/demo/

NB : I've noticed you've progressively removed pictures from my posts, what is allowed exactly? Only pictures below 20KB, is that it?

Re: Announcing Demetrios - The BIG Cynical Adventure - 09/29/15 04:06 PM

Cowcat, yes, only pics under 20k. If you notice even the official announcements I make do not have visible screens in them.

Ana wave

Re: Announcing Demetrios - The BIG Cynical Adventure - 09/29/15 04:12 PM

Alright, thanks for letting me know smile I'll keep that in mind!

Re: Announcing Demetrios - The BIG Cynical Adventure - 10/06/15 04:59 PM

Here you go!

Demetrios just went LIVE on Kickstarter and Steam Greenlight!

==> Support on Kickstarter : https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/983902887/demetrios

==> Vote on Steam Greenlight : http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=502785332

And here's the first game trailer!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NeLunbsfL4

With your help, I can make Demetrios bigger and better! smile

If you're interested in the game but hesitate to help or you're broke (that happens!), please consider at least voting for the game on Steam Greenlight and/or giving 1€ to the Kickstarter!
You'll get your name in the credits, wallpapers, and you'll follow the project with updates smile

Re: Announcing Demetrios - The BIG Cynical Adventure - 10/06/15 05:06 PM

I hope you meet or exceed your goal! wave

Re: Announcing Demetrios - The BIG Cynical Adventure - 10/07/15 10:01 PM

Well, already 44% reached in about one day! I think this is on the right track smile

Keep the support coming though! smile Thank you!

NB : Any chance the staff could write a news about the Kickstarter / Greenlight? Or at least post the trailer?

Re: Announcing Demetrios - The BIG Cynical Adventure - 10/08/15 02:30 AM

Cowcat, I am GameBoomers PR Person, if you email me the major announcements, such as the KS, I would be more than happy to post it officially for you.

Ana wave

Re: Announcing Demetrios - The BIG Cynical Adventure - 10/08/15 03:21 PM

Thank you Ana! I've just sent you a message! smile

Still going great! Kickstarter is now 61% funded!!!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/983902887/demetrios

I've written an article comparing the old version of Demetrios with the remake! I think some of you may be interested smile

I would post here but without the pictures, it would be hard to read, so I invite you to read the article on my site!
© 2024 GameBoomers Community