GB HOMEPAGE

RoonSehv: Neterra - Myst Lovers Rejoice

Posted By: GreyFuss

RoonSehv: Neterra - Myst Lovers Rejoice - 06/23/15 06:18 PM

Not sure if this has been posted yet but...Myst Lovers Rejoice!!!
With support from Cyan and the Myst Community, The Myst Fan Made game, RoonSehv: NeTerra has been released...FREE!
I have been playing for a couple of hours and love it. Has mouse controls, Look Left/right click, and you use keyboard for movement but if you have a programmable mouse you can program another button for the keyboard up arrow and the game is totally mouse controlled.

You can read about the game HERE and download it HERE.
Posted By: Iurii

Re: Myst Lovers Rejoice - 06/23/15 06:41 PM

Thanks, GreyFuss!
Posted By: Winfrey

Re: Myst Lovers Rejoice - 06/23/15 06:53 PM

Thanks GreyFuss
Posted By: Marian

Re: Myst Lovers Rejoice - 06/23/15 06:54 PM

Good to know. thumbsup
Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

Re: Myst Lovers Rejoice - 06/23/15 07:02 PM

Thanks, Greyfuss!
Posted By: SirDave

Re: Myst Lovers Rejoice - 06/23/15 09:21 PM

I have been playing it a bit today. It uses the Unreal Engine 3 and movement is with the typical keyboard/mouse FPS format. As is typical for these 3D games, it makes me somewhat dizzy, but I'm going to try and see how far I get.

The graphics are very nice and it's obvious that a lot of Myst-loving effort has gone into its development. However, it does have some of the characteristics of a small indie development situation where testing has been limited and, therefore, so are some options/limitations when it comes to installation.

Like so many AGs these days, the hardware requirements are relatively high. I first installed it on a system with Win7 32bit, CPU 2 gHZ, mem 3gb with nVidia graphics. It wouldn't install until I installed MS Visual C++ and a Directx Add-on package (provides some dll's that may be missing from one's Directx even if it is v11 as mine is). After installation, the game ran far too slow to be playable so I deleted it.

Next, I tried a Win7 64 bit system with CPU 2.53 gHz, mem 4gb with Radeon graphics. The game installed without any other requirements, but this time, there was no option to install it anywhere but on the default Drive C location (whereas with the first system above, I was able to install on another drive).

Now the game ran much better, but I backed off the default resolution to 1024x768 to make the cursor a little more responsive. Unfortunately, the video options are very limited- you can't even reverse the mouse up/down which I usually prefer to do.

I'm going to give it a more serious try after my head stops spinning. One of the reasons I was able to use the FPS type movement years ago was that I was pretty good then at making the mouse turning movements very rapid and accurate (eg. for Quake & Quake2). With aging, it seems that I've lost some of that ability or maybe I've just lost the ability because I don't play FPS games anymore. Thus, when I turn with the mouse, I over or under shoot and have to move back to the exact location I want. After several such occurences is when the dizziness starts.
Posted By: sanford

Re: Myst Lovers Rejoice - 06/23/15 09:22 PM

Let me add my thanks, also, GreyFuss
Sandy
Posted By: Space Quest Fan

Re: Myst Lovers Rejoice - 06/23/15 09:24 PM

thanks for the heads up GreyFuss. thumbsup
Posted By: Starcom

Re: Myst Lovers Rejoice - 06/23/15 10:24 PM

Thank you very much GreyFuss, Downloading the game as we speak.

Take care and have a good day

Re: Myst Lovers Rejoice - 06/24/15 05:19 AM

All I can say is WOW, Greyfuss. The graphics are gorgeous, and the music is also wonderful. I downloaded it today, and it's running perfectly on my WIN XP "dinosaur". I DO have a NVIDIA GEFORCE GT 430 video card which I thankfully upgraded to, a few years ago, so that REALLY helps as well.
Since I'm a "MYSTAHOLIC", this game is right up my alley. I'm playing using a DEMO VIDEO walkthrough, but hopefully, a text WT will be available at some later date. At 84 years old, I need all the help I can get. LOL. My grandkids would have finished this game in a few hours WITHOUT any walkthrough at ALL. HAPPY GAMING, Fellow GAMEBOOMERS.
Sandy
Posted By: Mad

Re: Myst Lovers Rejoice - 06/24/15 07:00 AM

Thanks very much, Greyfuss !! bravo
Posted By: The Haze

Roonsehv - 06/24/15 01:34 PM

I am just starting to play Roonsehv, which looks to be (In it's VERY early stages) just what I've been looking for. I do have an odd question. Given that most of us who are "Mystoholics" have some problem with the D'ni language, how does the developer intend for us to pronounce the title of the game?

Re: Roonsehv - 06/24/15 02:08 PM

And another thing...I just found a "Gameplay Demo" on line, but when the demo gets in the tunnel it's not the same as my game. (There's a door, not a light switch, at the end of the first tunnel in mine.) Are there two versions of the game, or have I missed something (Again)?

Re: Roonsehv - 06/24/15 05:02 PM

And I am curious why steam_api.dll is included with the game's binaries? It turns on Steamworks interface every time I launch the game, why? smile
Posted By: Lagavulin

Re: Myst Lovers Rejoice - 06/24/15 05:39 PM

eek

Sounds perfect, I'll keep it in mind and try it out after the summer holiday! Because on monday "there's a sign up on my door, I've gone Fishing....."

thanks urock GreyFuss

Cheers sherlock
Posted By: Jenny100

Re: Myst Lovers Rejoice - 06/25/15 12:02 AM

Originally Posted By: SirDave
I'm going to give it a more serious try after my head stops spinning. One of the reasons I was able to use the FPS type movement years ago was that I was pretty good then at making the mouse turning movements very rapid and accurate (eg. for Quake & Quake2). With aging, it seems that I've lost some of that ability or maybe I've just lost the ability because I don't play FPS games anymore. Thus, when I turn with the mouse, I over or under shoot and have to move back to the exact location I want. After several such occurences is when the dizziness starts.

I'm sorry to hear you're having problems with it, Sir Dave.
I wonder how much of their audience the newer "Myst-type" games have been losing (or will lose) to motion sickness because of the switch to full 3D. Would adding a "snapshot mode" without screen movement be so difficult?
Posted By: SirDave

Re: Myst Lovers Rejoice - 06/25/15 12:37 AM

Originally Posted By: Jenny100

I'm sorry to hear you're having problems with it, Sir Dave.
I wonder how much of their audience the newer "Myst-type" games have been losing (or will lose) to motion sickness because of the switch to full 3D. Would adding a "snapshot mode" without screen movement be so difficult?

Great minds! That's just what I was thinking when I was playing the game: if only there was an option for the old point&click. I may be in the minority, but I think that 3d mov't is unnecessary for Myst-like games. Along with eliminating the motion sickness factor, the old p&c would markedly reduce overall power requirements which IMO are ridiculous these days for games that aren't the complex FPS & war games.

Re: Myst Lovers Rejoice - 06/25/15 01:18 AM

That's just what I was thinking when I was playing the game: if only there was an option for the old point&click. I may be in the minority, but I think that 3d mov't is unnecessary for Myst-like games. Along with eliminating the motion sickness factor, the old p&c would markedly reduce overall power requirements which IMO are ridiculous these days for games that aren't the complex FPS & war games.

Remember how Myst V had a "classic" mode that was point-and-click, but turned out to be even worse for motion sickness because of the transitions. If only they'd allowed you to turn off the transitions.
Posted By: colpet

Re: Myst Lovers Rejoice - 06/25/15 02:16 AM

I loaded it up and so far it plays perfectly on my Win 7. I've programmed the mouse, so no keyboard. So exciting to have a Myst type game!

Re: Roonsehv - 06/25/15 08:08 PM

HAZE, I'm having the same problems that YOU are having, as well. Are there 2 different versions of the same game?----also the question as to how STEAM has anything to do with this. Hopefully we will get some answers to these questions.
Sandy

Re: Roonsehv - 06/25/15 08:36 PM

Why would you assume that a Demo is exactly what you will see in the game? Many times its an early rendition with differences to what will happen in the real game which, to me, is the way to go. Don't want to be spoiled by playing a Demo.

I don't see any Steam launching in my game. Where did you find the steam dll file you speak of? I can't find it.

I just found the Binary file for the game and there is no steam_api.dll in it...strange that you have it.

Re: Roonsehv - 06/25/15 11:59 PM

You are right,Greyfuss. I shouldn't "assume" that the demo would be the same as in the full version.
As for the STEAM "mystery", I only get a Steam logo on the bottom right of my screen when the game starts, nothing else pertaining to Steam after that.
Sandy

Re: Roonsehv - 06/26/15 01:03 AM

That is strange Sandy especially since its a free game. I don't have the Steam Logo like you say. Oh well, I guess the best part is that it is a very good (so far) free game. How often does that happen? thumbsup

Re: Roonsehv - 06/26/15 03:47 AM

Not too often, Greyfuss, so let's NOT complain. LOL---- and thanks for your input.
Sandy
Posted By: Prom361

Re: Myst Lovers Rejoice - 06/26/15 11:21 AM

Hi everyone !!
Thank you to play our game!
and we hope that you will enjoy it!

and that even if the movement system is modern (keyboard + mouse), you will find the pleasure of a REAL Myst: beautiful and challenging!

We want to go back to the source (with modern UE3 engine): Riven for example. With real puzzles with little explanation, but still very logical!
Where you will, after finding the solution, a pleasure!

If you have any questions, do not hesitate!
and I wish you a very good game !!

(sorry for my google-translation english)

Re: Roonsehv - 06/26/15 11:31 AM

Hi !!
I hope you have pleasure to play !

I don't know for the Steam Logo ! sorry
it's the first time i see that !

Perhaps there is a compatibility between UDK (the motor used) and Steam!
but it is not enabled in the game, anyway, I do not know how to activate it smile
but as the game is free, I did not really look haha

GreyFuss is right: "Why would you assume that a Demo is exactly what you will see in the game?"

The demo is very old now, and lot of thing i change !
but there are other things to see in the demo: it is interesting to try (as a bonus), after finishing the game smile

Good luck for the game !
babye =)

Re: Roonsehv - 06/26/15 11:59 AM

Prom361, Thank you, thank you!
Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

Re: Myst Lovers Rejoice - 06/26/15 01:11 PM

welcome to GameBoomers Prom361!

Ana wave

Re: Myst Lovers Rejoice - 06/26/15 01:34 PM

Some quick comments on all this: this game is a pure joy and nothing that follows is a complaint. The comments that follow are simple observations. I too have the Steam logo as the game starts. It seems to function exactly as do all of my Steam games. Once I got my head re-aligned into my "MYST mode," the puzzles are logical and entertaining. Finally, I still don't know how to pronounce it, and this has absolutely NO effect on the pleasant game-play.

Re: Myst Lovers Rejoice - 06/26/15 01:51 PM

I know the difficulty that the player more "old" including myself, to spend full mouse in FPS style.
I thought for a total mouse release ... but it is far too long to develop!
perhaps for another project sometime?

in any case, I do not want to scare you, but he'll have to get used to!
I have doubts on Obduction or other Xing for a screen by screen smile

for the pronounce: this english version are perfect: https://translate.google.com/?hl=fr#en/fr/RoonSehv%0D%0AN'Terra

thank you for your messages, it makes us much good to read!

Re: Myst Lovers Rejoice - 06/26/15 04:37 PM

Prom361, there is steam_api.dll in the game's binaries folder, and if I remove it, RoonSehv does not launch telling that Steam could not be found.
And when it launches, my Steam tells me I am actually playing Unreal Development Kit smile
Posted By: Draclvr

Re: Myst Lovers Rejoice - 06/26/15 04:51 PM

I'm used to the Unreal Engine, so the movement is natural for me. Very nicely done! I do not keep my Steam Client running in the background, so I did not have the Steam notice. But when I enabled the Steam client, then I got the Steam notice.

I am playing on Windows 8.1 and it's playing perfectly.

Re: Myst Lovers Rejoice - 06/27/15 03:06 AM

Prom361, Thank you SO much for this amazing (and free) game. It's absolutely AWESOME, and it is so appreciated by my fellow GAMEBOOMERS and our "MYSTAHOLICS".
Sandy
Posted By: Chief

Re: Myst Lovers Rejoice - 06/30/15 08:33 PM

Prom361, please have a look at your PM, personnel message.

Thanks.

Chief wave
Posted By: monbron

Re: Myst Lovers Rejoice - 07/01/15 03:33 PM

Oh Dear!! Norton deleted the download as unsafe............. I guess when I work out how to disable Norton I can have another go, anybody else had the same problem? oops

Re: Myst Lovers Rejoice - 07/01/15 05:58 PM

I use McAfee and the game loaded easily and runs flawlessly.

Re: Myst Lovers Rejoice - 07/02/15 02:20 PM

thank you all for your messages !!
I do not answer every time, but I read them, and it is a real pleasure!
Except for those who have installation problems frown

I answered the PM!

Re: Myst Lovers Rejoice - 07/03/15 12:33 AM

I have finished this wonderful fan made game and will miss this well done world very much. It was so nice to be back in the Myst world with this parallel story to the original. And what is really encouraging is that the ending is left open for a sequel. I have my fingers crossed that they will and maybe use Kickstarter for funds to extend the story even further. I would have gladly paid for this game if they had ask. Watch through the end of the Credits to answer a question that is surely come up while you are playing. I only have one complaint about the whole game is that the text in the few books for the backstory is hard to read. Big thumbs up on this one for all lovers of Myst and first person exploration games. I will be in the Hints Forum if anyone needs help.

Re: Myst Lovers Rejoice - 07/03/15 01:54 AM

I'm not finished yet, but please allow me echo Greyfuss. The game is beautiful, well done, and I too would have paid for it. If there is another one like it in the future I will buy it without hesitation. Also, like Greyfuss, I had a difficult time reading the texts. Regardless, much thanks for a lovely game.
Posted By: Mordack

Re: Myst Lovers Rejoice - 07/04/15 01:10 PM

Count me in amongst those who'd have gladly paid. If there is to be a next game, say a kickstarter, I'll be contributing. In my opinion, the adventure game genre is severely lacking in this sub genre (call it a Myst clone if you will) with it's challenging puzzles and all. All the more reason I appreciated the efforts of this game.

Re: Myst Lovers Rejoice - 07/04/15 09:16 PM

Thank you a lot, and from the heart, for your messages!!!
this makes us extremely happy to know that you liked the game, and you would have paid to have it!

Unfortunately (for us) and fortunately (for you) we can not ask for money for such a game! for one simple reason: we use the world of Myst! created by Cyan ... in order not to upset them, and not to get angry, I preferred not to ask for money!
again, we did that for us have fun, and learn!
conclusion: it is very difficult to create a video game!
and must stay cool in our reviews! Ah ah

an interesting question for us:
if the game had not been in the Myst universe, is what you would buy it too?

a point to diffcult to read the texts in the game:
still a choice on my part: realism ...
if you come across someone's diary, do you think it will make the effort to write neatly so you can read it?
more books remained in the cave for long years ...

the gameplay suffers, but not realism.

in any case, we understand history in general!

Besides, how many books have you read?

Re: RoonSehv: Neterra - Myst Lovers Rejoice - 07/05/15 05:13 AM

Hi Prom361

Of course I would have still paid for the game if not related to Myst. Isn't the only thing that really pertained to Myst the Dn'i numbering system. If there was more relation to Myst in the books then I can see why I would have missed it. I have a 24" monitor and I had to use a magnifying glass to try and read what was said. It was also hard to read because of the angle because the beginning of each page was further away. I am all for realism but I didn't even bother to read the last book because it was actually painful to lean forward at my desk with a 3" magnifying glass trying to make sense of it. I missed so much of your story that the game was more enjoyable as a first person puzzle adventure with no story. Don't get me wrong, your game is genius with great puzzles and beautiful scenery and ran beautifully and I would jump at the chance to help you provide us with another game, maybe even the sequel for this one or an entirely new story. Is it possible to just get a PDF file of the writing in the books as I sure would like to read them comfortably.

Many thanks for all the enjoyment I had with this game and I was left yearning for more. I applaud you and all that helped on this fan made labor of love. Well done thumbsup

Re: RoonSehv: Neterra - Myst Lovers Rejoice - 07/05/15 12:52 PM

I disagree slightly with Greyfuss on this. I too find the game to be completely enjoyable; a bit of genius: and in need of more readable text. I did, however, find a great deal of MYST here. There is a MYST atmosphere, complete with high-tech barbarism, oddly connected devices and uniquely Myst-like architecture. There are D'ni numbers and cute little devices that surprise and delight but don't move the game. There are even Bahro-stones in a couple of the drawers. There is simply a Myst-like tone to the entire, wonderful thing. Be assured that these are all good things, but they make Prom361's question unanswerable, because while I would pay for this game in a minute, the removal of all the Myst elements means it wouldn't be "This game." Most of us oldsters learned long ago to be wary of "Myst clones" which is what this would be if the Myst elements weren't there.

All that said, thanks for a thoroughly pleasant gaming experience and allowing me to slowly awaken these old, Myst-loving, brain cells. It's been a joy. I and many others will be watching for Babel Studios in the future. Be assured that lots of us would pay for a sequel or follow up game with little hesitation.
Posted By: lakerz

Re: RoonSehv: Neterra - Myst Lovers Rejoice - 07/06/15 03:06 AM

This is awesome that the game is released. I am downloading it now as I type this. Still got 9 minutes to go. Almost time for dinner and then time to play a bit. :-)

Huge kudos to the people behind this

Re: RoonSehv: Neterra - Myst Lovers Rejoice - 07/07/15 03:59 PM

thank you very much for yours messages !
Seriously, it does us good to read! after the time and trouble to make a game, it's good to relax!

I have some problems with 32-bit Windows ... there are loading crashes frown

Well, if we make a new game in Myst world, it's free of course
if we make a new paid game, it's for money of course smile

please follow our group: FaceBook or Twitter for news smile
maybe one day !

Good luck for new players !
babye =)
Posted By: Bert

Re: Myst Lovers Rejoice - 07/16/15 07:30 PM

Finished game, congrats to the creators and developers, great game. Hope there's more to come....

Re: Myst Lovers Rejoice - 07/20/15 07:13 PM

I am playing this now. How wonderful to be back in the Myst world! I broke out my coloured pencils and pad of paper. I missed this type of exploration and experience, where even after the computer is off, you are thinking about what can be done. Thanks so much to the developers for putting in the time and effort.

Re: Myst Lovers Rejoice - 07/20/15 10:18 PM

Have you voted in the game list thread, Colpet?
Shivers needs more votes.
Posted By: sureshot

Re: Myst Lovers Rejoice - 07/23/15 03:04 PM

Hi All - I've been playing this game awhile now and I read in this post that it's possible to program the mouse for movement and not use the keyboard which I very much prefer. I don't see where I could do that - when I bring up the Options and Advanced Options, I see resolution changes and mouse Speed but no hints on how to program the game for Mouse movement.

Can someone point me to that option?

By the way, thank you Prom361 It's a great game and is true to Myst fans like me!!

Re: Myst Lovers Rejoice - 07/23/15 03:41 PM

You have to go into your computer's program files and configure your mouse through there. It works well for me, but I have to do it everytime I start the game. I make the middle button 'W'.

Re: RoonSehv: Neterra - Myst Lovers Rejoice - 07/23/15 03:50 PM

Thank you Colpet! As long as I can use just the mouse, I am happy to get away from Keyboard movements. thumbsup

Re: RoonSehv: Neterra - Myst Lovers Rejoice - 07/23/15 04:28 PM

Originally Posted By: sureshot
Thank you Colpet! As long as I can use just the mouse, I am happy to get away from Keyboard movements. thumbsup

I'm like you. I would have to really love a game to put up with keyboard controls.

Re: RoonSehv: Neterra - Myst Lovers Rejoice - 07/23/15 05:32 PM

Hi Colpet !! I am playing this game not only because it's a "MYST" game but also because you can use the mouse and not the keyboard! I am having trouble locating the settings for mouse movement. Could you please point me on how you did it - here or Private message is ok with me. Thank you. praise

Re: RoonSehv: Neterra - Myst Lovers Rejoice - 07/29/15 10:30 PM

It's a really good tips for play with the middle button of the mouse !!!
I go share this tips !! Thank smile

One more time: congratulations for peoples have finish the game ! With or without solutions smile
And good luck for people Who continue to search !
Babye

Re: RoonSehv: Neterra - Myst Lovers Rejoice - 08/02/15 02:01 PM

Absolutely a wonderful game. I so miss playing these types of adventures. Loved the puzzles, and the fact that the solutions were not handed to you on a plate. Nice to have a good meal after all the Casual game junk food I've been indulging in.
Posted By: Elentgirl

Re: RoonSehv: Neterra - Myst Lovers Rejoice - 08/05/15 10:31 AM

If any of you Myst lovers have - like me - just finished playing RoonSehv and are disappointed that it's finished, I thought you might like to try the Mysterium section of my own game, Adventure Island. Although not in the RoonSehv class, it is my person tribute to Myst games and its clones. If you are interested, a link to my game in in Free Games Galore section or in the AGS game database.

Re: RoonSehv: Neterra - Myst Lovers Rejoice - 08/05/15 12:16 PM

Your link is not working Elentgirl.
Posted By: BubbaJake

Re: RoonSehv: Neterra - Myst Lovers Rejoice - 08/05/15 02:27 PM

Though I'm not a huge Myst fan, I AM a fan of people who take on the task of making games. I look forward to enjoying you effort! I'll watch for your link.

Re: RoonSehv: Neterra - Myst Lovers Rejoice - 08/06/15 10:13 AM

Thank you Winfrey for letting me know about the link to my game website. For reasons unknown to me the hosting company have frozen the site without notifying me. I have taken it up with them and await their response. In the meantime, there is a link to it on my personal website (www.elenheart.me.uk) or it can be found in the AGS game database (http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/1688/).

Sorry for the inconvenience.
Elen
Posted By: gamenut

Re: RoonSehv: Neterra - Myst Lovers Rejoice - 08/06/15 02:10 PM

RE: RoonSehv: Neterra--I would like to know are there any Action or Timed puzzles? (I hope not). I loved the Myst games but the last 2 were agony with the timed/action areas they had and I only played them once because of that. The others I have played several times. My fave is Riven.
I have problems with wrists and fingers that make action/timed puzzles now pretty much a no go for me....Unless there is a 'skip' feature OR (and I don't know Why developers don't do this-) there is an alternate way written in for someone to still get to the same goal (would be so good and I know I am not alone in this).

Re: RoonSehv: Neterra - Myst Lovers Rejoice - 08/06/15 03:18 PM

Originally Posted By: gamenut
I would like to know are there any Action or Timed puzzles? (I hope not).

Hello gamenut
There are a few puzzles in my game that are time dependent, but nothing too demanding. Like you, I hate being rushed to solve a puzzle. The two most difficult are a shooting gallery and a timed maze sequence. In both cases, if the player fails to complete them sucessfully a few times, the "prize" is given in any case. The puzzles are included more as a challenge for those who enjoy that sort of thing!

There are a couple of others but finger dexterity is not necessary. In one, it is realising that it is time dependent that is important, and in the other it is memorising a sequence of steps that is the key.

I have tried to make the many puzzles in my game as varied as possible, so there will always be a few that some players find more tricky. I have made a player guide to help anyone who gets stuck, and I'm always willing to offer personal assitance as well.

I hope you will not be put off trying Adventure Island.
Elen
Posted By: flotsam

Re: Roonsehv - 08/10/15 11:53 PM

Just found this so many thanks.
© 2024 GameBoomers Community