GB HOMEPAGE

Nancy Drew's Voice

Posted By: Tracy

Nancy Drew's Voice - 07/08/15 04:47 AM

Hi everyone. I haven't been here in ages, but when I found out that the woman who does Nancy's voice won't be doing it anymore, I had to come and post. Her voice was one of the special things I always enjoyed about the ND games, and so I feel a little wistful today. : (

I was wondering if anyone might know why HER Interactive made this change?

Thanks so much,

Tracy
Posted By: Marian

Re: Nancy Drew's Voice - 07/08/15 06:07 AM

Her Interactive hasn't explained the reason(s), and at this point I think we will never know exactly why this happened.

We previously had a long discussion thread about this, which you can read here.

We also did an interview with Lani Minella after this change was announced, which you can read here.

I don't know anyone as yet who thinks that changing the voice actress was a good idea.

Re: Nancy Drew's Voice - 07/08/15 02:45 PM

Thanks for your reply, Marian. I appreciate it. And it's good to know that I'm not the only one who feels this way.
Ironically, I got a survey from HER Interactive a few months ago where you could let them know what you liked and disliked about the ND games. I was happy to fill it out and send it back, but there was never a question on it about Nancy's voice actor, so I never imagined that it was something they would change. : (

Anyway, thanks again and I'm going to check out the links you gave me. It'll be good to read more about this.

Tracy

Re: Nancy Drew's Voice - 07/08/15 05:00 PM

In addition to changing voice actors, there has been other turmoil at Her Interactive over the last several months: many employees were let go, and the new writer who wrote Sea of Darkness (and the upcoming Midnight in Salem) has also since left the company to pursue other things.

We will just have to wait and see what happens next.

Posted By: Space Quest Fan

Re: Nancy Drew's Voice - 07/08/15 08:57 PM

That sounds like a lot of turnover. woozy

Re: Nancy Drew's Voice - 07/09/15 09:36 PM

It sure does. btw, I emailed HER and just told them briefly and politely how much Lani's voice has brought to the character and how over all of these years she's made the character seem almost like a friend. (Not just to me but to a lot of us). I mentioned that while I understood that they were "going in a different direction", doing things like this might mean losing customers along the way, and I hoped that in the end their decision wasn't a mistake.

So, they did mail me back, and basically said that while HER understood how we felt, they were moving forward with the change, but that Lani would continue doing voice work for them, just in different areas. (Not sure what that means, but wanted to share it anyway.)

Sigh....I know it sounds silly but I'm really going to miss her voice. I'm not sure if I will keep playing the games in the future, but I know that if I do, it won't be the same. : (

PS. I was on their site yesterday and the girls who play ND games were even more upset about this than we are! Poor kids.

Tracy

Re: Nancy Drew's Voice - 07/17/15 01:10 AM

Originally Posted By: Tracy

So, they did mail me back, and basically said that while HER understood how we felt, they were moving forward with the change, but that Lani would continue doing voice work for them, just in different areas. (Not sure what that means, but wanted to share it anyway.)

Tracy

That's interesting. Lani has stated, I believe, that Her Interactive was suggesting that she could do voicework for the ND games in the future, just not as Nancy. As of yet, however, I haven't heard/read anything about Lani agreeing to this. Over the years she has done additional voicework for the ND games as well as the voice of Nancy, such as a parrot, the "monster" in The Captive Curse, a character in Stay Tuned for Danger, etc.).
© 2024 GameBoomers Community