GB HOMEPAGE

Dreamfall Chapters

Posted By: oldman

Dreamfall Chapters - 10/21/15 10:10 AM

I haven't seen this mentioned yet. If I've missed the post I apologize but thought I'd submit the information just in case.

An update on book four and unity 5

Since I'm waiting for the finished product before I begin the game this info is of special interest to me.

Posted By: Kaki's Sister

Re: Dreamfall Chapters - 10/21/15 10:19 AM

Thanks oldman. wave
Posted By: Space Quest Fan

Re: Dreamfall Chapters - 10/21/15 09:16 PM

thanks oldman
Posted By: venus

Re: Dreamfall Chapters - 10/22/15 03:35 AM

Thanks, oldman. I also got that information in a backer update. thumbsup The game is terrific, and you will have a wonderful finished product to play in the end. thumbsup

Re: Dreamfall Chapters - 10/23/15 01:04 AM

Well unfortunately the optimism was short lived. Just got another update which is not so optimistic. Hopefully their target of Nov will work out but I have a wait and see attitude.

Book Four and Delays
Posted By: looney4labs

Re: Dreamfall Chapters - 10/23/15 01:27 AM

Thanks, Oldman. I've finally gotten around to playing this just a bit and am enjoying it quite a lot wave

Re: Dreamfall Chapters - 10/23/15 02:37 AM

It will be worth the wait. It's not really their fault they ran into all the new bugs with the engine, and it sounds as though they were pretty much forced to upgrade. Since this is my favorite game in years, I'm perfectly okay with it being drawn out. Makes the experience last longer. lol

Glad you're enjoying it so far, L4L. thumbsup

Re: Dreamfall Chapters - 10/23/15 08:02 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong but from what I understand from the latest blog is that they had to change the first 3 chapters/books to the unity 5 engine so that the whole game will be synced or whatever. So I guess that means that those that downloaded and are playing each chapter as it comes out will be required to re-download when it is released.
Posted By: Mad

Re: Dreamfall Chapters - 10/23/15 06:07 PM

I, too, am waiting for a "whole" game release before I play. So I guess it's just a case of a longer wait yes

Re: Dreamfall Chapters - 10/30/15 01:13 AM

Hi, oldman, sorry I missed your post. I think it depends on which version you have. If you have the Steam version, it should just update automatically. Otherwise, you may have to re-download the whole thing. I'm sure we'll know more once it's closer to release. The beta version is already available, and it looks as though backers are trying it out. I don't have time myself, but from skimming the forum, it looks like the performance is already much better for those that were having issues.
Posted By: Jenny100

Re: Dreamfall Chapters - 10/30/15 06:39 PM

Originally Posted By: venus
I think it depends on which version you have. If you have the Steam version, it should just update automatically. Otherwise, you may have to re-download the whole thing.

I suspect the Steam version will also "redownload the whole thing."

Re: Dreamfall Chapters - 10/31/15 10:15 AM

I have the GOG version so I guess I'll just have to wait and see. I'm thinking of playing the first four chapters when chapter 4 comes out and maybe the wait for chapter 5 will not be so long I forget what I've played previously. If it is too long a wait I can always replay the first four.

Re: Dreamfall Chapters - 11/01/15 02:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Jenny100
I suspect the Steam version will also "redownload the whole thing."

You may be right; I haven't updated it yet, as I don't have time to do beta testing, unfortunately. From what I've read, it looks as though it isn't necessary to delete the "old" version of the game, so I assumed it was just an update. Though for all I know, Steam could take care of the whole uninstall/reinstall process. I'll know for sure once the new version becomes mandatory. smile With GOG, it's necessary to uninstall and reinstall the entire game, even if it's only an episode update, which is why I've been using the Steam version until the full game is out.

Oldman, that sounds like a good plan. Book 4 isn't too far away, probably sometime this month or early next month. So when Book 5 comes out, you will only have to worry about uninstalling and reinstalling once. Of course, if you don't want to do that at all, you may want to wait until the entire game is out.

Re: Dreamfall Chapters - 11/30/15 07:09 PM

I just got an email from the Red Thread Games and book four will be out Thursday.

Quote:
This morning, we announced the release date of our fourth episode in a brand new trailer. You can watch it here (as always, beware some spoilers):

https://youtu.be/zn0Xbw8EInw

Book Four arrives on Steam, GOG and Humble this Thursday, December 3rd. This update also includes the full Unity 5 engine overhaul, which brings a ton of changes, optimisations and graphical upgrades to the first three episodes.

As always, the update is free for all backers.

I wonder if they will stick to their 3 month between chapters, goal now that they have gotten their unity thingy finished. If so we may see the finished game early in 2016.

Re: Dreamfall Chapters - 12/02/15 04:11 AM

I got the backer e-mail with the link for this. grin The trailer is amazing! Book 4 looks like it may be the best one yet. praise
Posted By: Terri824

Re: Dreamfall Chapters - 12/04/15 03:21 AM

GOG has Dreamfall Chapters Season Pass-Special Edition on for $13.99, does anyone have an idea what all it includes?
Thanks,
Terri
Posted By: Marian

Re: Dreamfall Chapters - 12/04/15 03:41 AM

According to the page on GOG, the Special Edition includes:

Quote:
About: Dreamfall Chapters Special Edition includes the following bonus goodies:
Reborn: The Art of Dreamfall Chapters Book One — a digital art book featuring concept art and illustrations from the first episode of Dreamfall Chapters
Journeys Birth — two short stories in PDF and ebook formats, set in The Longest Journey universe and leading up to the events in Dreamfall Chapters (available October 20th)
Digital soundtrack featuring music from Dreamfall Chapters Book One in FLAC and MP3 format (available November 1st)
Digital Europolis tourist map! Sponsored by Niyom Media and presented by Crowboy, everyone’s favourite crow cowboy (coming soon!)
7 HD wallpapers
5 digital avatars featuring characters from Dreamfall Chapters.

Re: Dreamfall Chapters - 12/04/15 04:39 AM

Just to let you know, the short stories are not out yet. They will be released later, possibly even after book 5 is out. Backers are still waiting on them as well. smile

I just finished book 4, and it was fantastic! Definitely my favorite book yet. praise

Re: Dreamfall Chapters - 01/01/16 08:50 PM

I don't want to look like a complete dummy but I am not used to "books" when referring to games. Let me ask....Steam has "Dreamfall Chapters on for 50% off which is $14.99. I played The Longest and Dreamfall years ago, is this the continuation of the game/story of April and Zoe, etc? Can you tell me if this is all the chapters, a complete game/story?
Thanks. HNY

Re: Dreamfall Chapters - 01/01/16 09:09 PM

This quote from the Steam page should answer your questions:

Quote:
Your purchase of Dreamfall Chapters includes all five episodes. The first four episodes are available for download today. The final episode will be available as a free update as soon as it's released.

Dreamfall Chapters is the episodic follow-up to award-winning adventures The Longest Journey and Dreamfall: The Longest Journey: a story-driven adventure about choices and consequences, dreams and reality, magic and science, chaos and order, and the broken heroes whose actions will shape the course of history in all worlds.

Set in parallel worlds — one a dark cyberpunk vision of the future, the other a magical fantasy realm — the game follows two unlikely heroes on their journey across worlds to save the very fabric of reality from the Undreaming. Dreamfall Chapters is a mature, emotional, dark, magical and heartbreaking adventure that will take you by surprise.

With a brand new storyline and a cast of new characters, Dreamfall Chapters introduces new players to The Longest Journey Saga, while returning players will get the conclusion they have been waiting for ever since the end of Dreamfall: The Longest Journey.

Re: Dreamfall Chapters - 01/01/16 10:34 PM

Thanks Marian. Have you played these episodes and if so is it anything like the older game?

Re: Dreamfall Chapters - 01/01/16 10:39 PM

I haven't played any of them. Maybe another player can answer your question. wave12

Re: Dreamfall Chapters - 01/02/16 06:17 AM

Terri, it's a continuation of Dreamfall, but with no combat and hardly any stealth. There is one stealth section in Book 2 I could have done without, but other than that, it's played like a regular adventure game with some large, open areas. It's very rich and detailed, more like the original TLJ in that regard, so it almost feels like a combination of both games. It also adds a choice and consequence element, which seems to be very popular in adventure games now. The original games had this to an extent, but it is much more emphasized in Chapters. They were obviously inspired by TellTale, but Chapters has far more exploration and optional character conversations, making it longer and more complex than a TellTale game. Also, I think it's perhaps the most beautiful game I've played, even more so now that they've upgrading their engine. The controls are more like Dreamfall's, but a bit better implemented, so if you played and enjoyed that game, you shouldn't have any problems with them. smile12

The story and characters are fantastic, as per usual with these games. smile12 Zoe and Kian both receive a lot of character development, and both feel more complex than when they were first introduced in Dreamfall.

The puzzles are all right. There are some good ones, particularly one involving bots in Book 3. They're better than Dreamfall's puzzles, but not as difficult as the classic puzzles in TLJ.

As a total experience, I think this is one of the best games I've played. Everyone will have a different opinion, of course, but for me, this is almost up there with the original TLJ. Considering that game pretty much can't be topped on my personal list, that's saying something. smile12

Re: Dreamfall Chapters - 01/02/16 07:28 AM

Originally Posted By: Terri824
Thanks Marian. Have you played these episodes and if so is it anything like the older game?

More like Dreamfall than TLJ.
Keyboard/mouse combination or gamepad control, not point-and-click.
I suggest checking out one of the playthroughs on YouTube to see what gameplay is like.

Re: Dreamfall Chapters - 01/02/16 08:32 PM

Thanks Venus and Jenny, sounds great. I do remember in Dreamfall I kept running into things but perhaps enough time has passed that I have better control of the keys. My granddaughter is going to have a fit if I play this without her. She has wondered forever what happened to Apri after we last saw her on the pier.
Thanks much, I'm going now to purchase it! penguin

Re: Dreamfall Chapters - 01/02/16 08:42 PM

She has wondered forever what happened to Apri after we last saw her on the pier.

This question has yet to be answered.
Dreamfall Chapters is focussing on Zoe and Kian, and a bit on a baby whose identity we aren't sure of.
Possible spoiler
Click to reveal..
So far nothing about what happened to April other than the funeral at the beginning of Chapter One.

Re: Dreamfall Chapters - 01/02/16 08:56 PM

Seriously? Chapter 5 has yet to be released, correct?

Re: Dreamfall Chapters - 01/02/16 08:59 PM

Yes. Questions could be answered in Chapters 4 and 5.
One of the complaints about the game is that it doesn't answer questions left at the end of the first Dreamfall.
And some people think the story suffers from the episodic format.

Re: Dreamfall Chapters - 01/03/16 12:37 AM

Regarding April's fate: I'm a bit ambivalent about that one. I don't dislike where they're going with it, but I don't love it either. I think what's happening has pretty much been explained. I don't want to give too many spoilers, but April's definitely "there" in a sense throughout the game. Also, the baby Jenny refers to gets older in each episode. smile12

There are quite a few unanswered questions, but then there are quite a few that have been answered as well. I'm reserving my judgment there until the full game is out. smile12

As to whether the story suffers from episodic content - maybe. I'm not the best judge of that, as I've gotten used to episodic games over time. I used to staunchly prefer full games, but now I don't mind episodic so much, as the game tends to "stay with me" longer. Also, I know not everyone feels this way, but I love to replay games, so once the whole thing is out, I can play it in full whenever I want. Chapters may flow better as a full game, but then I find that most episodic games do anyway. On the other hand, I think that because the game is episodic, it is much larger than what was originally planned. Plus, most of it is out already, so anyone who started it now would only have to wait for one more episode.

Quote:
I do remember in Dreamfall I kept running into things but perhaps enough time has passed that I have better control of the keys.

rotfl12 I did that, too! I think Chapters' controls are better overall. I control Zoe and Kian with the arrow keys, and use the mouse as a camera while they walk. With this method, I have no problems whatsoever, whereas whenever I go back to Dreamfall, I still bump into the occasional wall. lol12

Re: Dreamfall Chapters - 01/03/16 05:52 AM

Thanks for the info Venus. I didn't think to ask, are all the chapters new or is there a repeat of the original story too?

Re: Dreamfall Chapters - 01/03/16 06:21 AM

are all the chapters new or is there a repeat of the original story too?

They are all new.

Re: Dreamfall Chapters - 01/03/16 06:31 AM

Super, thanks Jenny. I won't be able to start the game until my granddaughter is here to play along. My daughter told her I bought the chapters/games and she immediately called and made me promise not to start it without her. flowers

Re: Dreamfall Chapters - 01/04/16 03:17 AM

Sounds great. Hope you and your granddaughter enjoy the game, Terri! thumbsup12

Re: Dreamfall Chapters - 01/04/16 04:31 AM

I won't be able to start the game until my granddaughter is here to play along. My daughter told her I bought the chapters/games and she immediately called and made me promise not to start it without her.

I hope you and your granddaughter enjoy playing them together. That's the main thing.

Re: Dreamfall Chapters - 01/06/16 06:14 AM

Thanks you guys, it's going to be great fun. I hope we get to play it soon. wave

Re: Dreamfall Chapters - 04/08/16 11:37 PM

I'm probably not posting anything that is not already known but I just got an email from Red thread Games that gives me hope that maybe, finally, the long awaited end is in site and I can start the game from beginning to end.

Anyway this message gives me hope.
Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

Re: Dreamfall Chapters - 04/09/16 02:53 AM

Getting closer oldman!

Ana yay
Posted By: Mad

Re: Dreamfall Chapters - 04/09/16 01:54 PM

I got that message, too, oldman. And was pleased to get it as I, too, want the complete game before I start to play laugh

Re: Dreamfall Chapters - 04/09/16 03:09 PM

I got that one, too. happydance Although I'm also sad it will be over, I'm really looking forward to the conclusion of what's become one of my favorite games. For me, it's second only to the original TLJ, and I really hope RTG makes another third person adventure game one day. Whether it's The Longest Journey Home or a new adventure entirely, I'll be clamoring for it. grin
Posted By: UruKat

Re: Dreamfall Chapters - 04/10/16 07:11 PM

Can't come too soon for me! I've already played all the other chapters, but I plan on playing again from start to finish when the last one comes out. I've forgotten a lot of the early ones...it'll be fun to see what I can remember.
I'll be sorry to see it end though. It's one of a kind! joy2 wave thumbsup
Posted By: Uncle Reg

Re: Dreamfall Chapters - 04/11/16 04:30 AM

I'm like oldman and Mad. I'm waiting for the game to be complete before I start playing.
Posted By: flotsam

Re: Dreamfall Chapters - 04/11/16 09:31 AM

Having played the Chapters I believe it will certainly be the best way.
Can't wait!
© 2024 GameBoomers Community