GB HOMEPAGE

Need recommendations.

Posted By: TLC

Need recommendations. - 01/17/16 05:51 PM

I'm buying an HP laptop, so my grandson can play some of my pc games while he's here. He's 8 yrs old and loves Syberia 1&2. What games are similar to those? I have a ton of games and whatever anyone mentions, there's a good chance I have it. lol thanks
Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

Re: Need recommendations. - 01/17/16 06:10 PM

I've kind of considered those in a class by themselves. The Lost Horizon (first one) was kind of easy to follow.
Posted By: Marian

Re: Need recommendations. - 01/17/16 06:23 PM

Another point to consider is the system specs in your laptop - make sure it meets the requirements for any particular game.

If your system can run it, Lost Horizon is a good suggestion. wave
Posted By: Adam Beals

Re: Need recommendations. - 01/17/16 06:26 PM

The Secret Files series is good too smile
Posted By: Cookie

Re: Need recommendations. - 01/17/16 06:47 PM

I'd suggest "Mysterious island" and "Return to mysterious island", two adventurous and enjoyable games!
I have played them with my niece, when she was 6, and she had so much fun! yes

Re: Need recommendations. - 01/17/16 06:50 PM

Thanks. I'll have to go through all of my games, I have so many to choose from. lol Glad I didn't get rid of any, when I got my mac. joy I'm sure I have Mysterious Island and Secret Files. sherlock
Posted By: Winfrey

Re: Need recommendations. - 01/17/16 07:06 PM

Broken Sword games...

Re: Need recommendations. - 01/17/16 07:08 PM

I have those too, thanks Winfrey. wave
Posted By: cyanne

Re: Need recommendations. - 01/17/16 07:21 PM

Hi TLC

I would highly recommende "Keepsake" for the beautiful story graphics and fantasy!!!

Re: Need recommendations. - 01/17/16 08:03 PM

Thanks, cyanne. I'll have to write all of these down, so I can look through my games. So the next time he's over, I can let him pick one. joy
Posted By: Mad

Re: Need recommendations. - 01/17/16 08:03 PM

The "Simon the Sorcerer" games might be nice .... If you have versions that will play one a modern PC smile

Re: Need recommendations. - 01/17/16 08:11 PM

I don't have that game, Mad but thanks. hearts

Originally Posted By: BrownEyedTigre
I've kind of considered those in a class by themselves. The Lost Horizon (first one) was kind of easy to follow.

Yeah me too but what I meant was not too hard and fun, like Syberia. wave
Posted By: Space Quest Fan

Re: Need recommendations. - 01/17/16 09:09 PM

What about the Monkey Island games?
Posted By: oldman

Re: Need recommendations. - 01/17/16 11:14 PM

I, for one, always consider The Longest Journey on a par with the Syberia Games.

Re: Need recommendations. - 01/17/16 11:44 PM

Thanks, oldman. I have that one and will add to the list. wave
Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

Re: Need recommendations. - 01/18/16 12:20 AM

If I recall TLJ had bad language if that's an issue TLC.
Posted By: venus

Re: Need recommendations. - 01/18/16 01:22 AM

Originally Posted By: oldman
I, for one, always consider The Longest Journey on a par with the Syberia Games.

I actually like TLJ and its sequels quite a bit more. smile (Not that I don't consider the Syberias to be excellent games as well. smile) The language and adult themes may make them less kid friendly, however. It depends on your grandson and what you think you, he and his parent(s) are comfortable with.

I also think Ana's suggestion of Lost Horizon is a really good one. It has traditional adventure game play like the Syberias, a fun adventurous story, and I don't think the puzzles are that difficult at all.

A game no one has mentioned, and one I think would be perfect for an eight year old child is the new King's Quest. The first two chapters are great, long and mini games by themselves. They are also pretty self contained, so you don't have to worry too much about the waiting time between episodes. The first episode has some QTE's, but they (luckily) did away with those in episode 2. It's available here, if you're interested and don't have it yet - http://store.steampowered.com/app/345390/?snr=1_5_9__300.

Another fantastic one might be The Night of the Rabbit. It has a young protagonist, beautiful 2D graphics and a really nice, charming story. It's available here http://www.gog.com/game/the_night_of_the_rabbit and here http://store.steampowered.com/app/230820/. It does have some pretty challenging puzzles, though, so you may want to keep that in mind if it's an issue.

Also, The Book of Unwritten Tales games might be perfect as well. I assume you may have them already, but I can give you links to those, too, if you'd like. smile

Re: Need recommendations. - 01/18/16 01:49 AM

Ana, I wouldn't want real bad language for him, thought he'd say something when Oscar used the word [blip], I see its blipped out. lol Maybe once I get the laptop, I'll play the game and see what the language is like. sherlock thanks everyone. hearts
Posted By: venus

Re: Need recommendations. - 01/18/16 02:50 AM

Then you may not want to try TLJ until he's a bit older.

I still think the new King's Quest, The Night of the Rabbit and the original Book of Unwritten Tales would be fantastic picks for him. smile
Posted By: oldman

Re: Need recommendations. - 01/18/16 05:51 AM

My bad I wasn't thinking about the rating for an 8 year old. If you can get them to run on your machine I would recommend all the Kings Quest series as well. Plus the remakes of KQ1 and 2 are really enjoyable and have voice acting as well.

Re: Need recommendations. - 01/18/16 04:26 PM

Thanks everyone. hearts I'll go through my games sometime this week, might be easier to pick some that way. I have time to pick a few, won't get the hp laptop till around the 27th. wave
© 2024 GameBoomers Community