GB HOMEPAGE

Add Some Steam Games to Your GOG.com Library with GOG Connect

Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

Add Some Steam Games to Your GOG.com Library with GOG Connect - 06/01/16 04:52 PM

The games eligibility change continuously so you will be attentive to the offerings.

Quote:
Warsaw, June 1 — Today, we're launching a new program called GOG Connect. The premise is simple: connect your Steam account and add your eligible games your GOG.com library (at connect.gog.com).

Whether you're checking us out for the first time or looking to copy over your previous purchases, GOG Connect gives you DRM-free versions of your games, along with digital extras and the freedom to choose between standalone installers or the optional GOG Galaxy Client. It's our take on game ownership and we say: why buy the games more than once?

Thanks to our awesome partners including Deep Silver, Harebrained Schemes, Jonathan Blow's Number None, TaleWorlds and more, over 20 games can be added to your GOG.com library if you previously purchased them on Steam.

You can view the full list of games on connect.gog.com, including:
- The Witness
- FTL: Faster Than Light
- The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing: Final Cut
- Galactic Civilizations 3
- Trine Enchanted Edition
- Saints Row 2
- Shadowrun Returns
- The Witcher: Enhanced Edition

While GOG Connect will stick around, the games available will come and go. These are limited-time offers made possible by participating developers and publishers, so stay tuned for more games to come.

If you want to build up your GOG.com library even further, a bunch of our favorite titles will be discounted up to 85% all week long, including The Witness, Saints Row the Third, System Shock 2 and more. You can check out all the deals here.

To chat with us and keep up with the latest releases, deals, and GOG.com events, join us on Twitter (twitter.com/GOGcom), Facebook (facebook.com/gogcom) and our community forums.

The GOG Connect weeklong sale will last until June 6, 12:59 PM UTC.
Posted By: Marian

Re: Add Some Steam Games to Your GOG.com Library with GOG Connect - 06/01/16 04:58 PM

Very nice! thumbsup

Thanks, Ana. wave
Posted By: Donald

Re: Add Some Steam Games to Your GOG.com Library with GOG Connect - 06/01/16 07:48 PM

GOG Connect entices PC gamers with free, DRM-free copies of your Steam games
Posted By: Marian

Re: Add Some Steam Games to Your GOG.com Library with GOG Connect - 06/01/16 07:55 PM

Thanks, Donald - I merged your post with Ana's announcement thread. wave
Posted By: Space Quest Fan

Re: Add Some Steam Games to Your GOG.com Library with GOG Connect - 06/01/16 09:16 PM

Those deals sound good Ana.
Posted By: Winfrey

Re: Add Some Steam Games to Your GOG.com Library with GOG Connect - 06/01/16 10:13 PM

Does this mean that if I connect the accounts that the games would transfer to GOG and thus not be on steam anymore?

Re: Add Some Steam Games to Your GOG.com Library with GOG Connect - 06/01/16 11:44 PM

You still keep your steam library. It scans your library and gives you a duplicate key for GoG. It does not do your whole library though, only those that publishers allow.

My take, personally, is that GoG is slowly getting "invasive". I do not want to give it permission to access my Steam library. What else will it access? Just my opinion.
Posted By: Mad

Re: Add Some Steam Games to Your GOG.com Library with GOG Connect - 06/02/16 01:31 AM

I have so few games in my Steam Library that I doubt I'll ever use such a facility.
[And surely GOG cannot scan anything unless given permission ??]

The "original" GOG is what I like rah
Posted By: TechnoSpike

Re: Add Some Steam Games to Your GOG.com Library with GOG Connect - 06/02/16 12:52 PM

Hi, if I understood this correctly, the "connect" with Steam is just a way of seeing which games you have in your Steam account, basically what you could already been doing if you had your profile settings allowing public viewing of what games you own.

It uses Steam own API, and it seems to be way less intrusive than, say, when you could connect your steam account with Humble or Groupees to automatically add Steam keys bought from them to your account (instead of typing the keys manually).

Its nothing new, if we think about the business model, it's similar to giving away free games for a temporary time, or giving away free samples of a product, to instill interest on what you are selling. It's cool to be able to get a GOG version of some games I had already bought in Steam bundles in the past and had not the opportunity to play so far.
Posted By: frazap

Re: Add Some Steam Games to Your GOG.com Library with GOG Connect - 06/02/16 03:11 PM

This is of course a good and generous idea but I have very few, if any, games on Steam that is available on GOG. Only buy games on Steam if there is absolutely no other option to get it for MAC or PC and it's a game I REALLY want to play. The last game being the updated version of The Lost Crown.

Anyway, I cannot help feeling that GOG is moving closer and closer to Steam, or at least a similar concept. First GOG Galaxy and now this. Hard not to get a tiny bit suspicious.:)

But as long as Galaxy is optional and this new thing does not go further than to generously offer us to add already purchased games to the GOG library I'm complwetely fine with it.
Posted By: Draclvr

Re: Add Some Steam Games to Your GOG.com Library with GOG Connect - 06/02/16 04:35 PM

I have to admit I am a little nervous about GOG moving closer to the Steam model too. I sure hope not. I use both, but far, far prefer GOG.
Posted By: sanford

Re: Add Some Steam Games to Your GOG.com Library with GOG Connect - 06/02/16 06:39 PM

Thanks so much, Ana. Sure is a very interesting concept.
Sandy
Posted By: CountZero

Re: Add Some Steam Games to Your GOG.com Library with GOG Connect - 06/02/16 09:03 PM

I hope that they add more games. I would love to have all my games in one place....
Posted By: venus

Re: Add Some Steam Games to Your GOG.com Library with GOG Connect - 06/04/16 03:45 PM

I also hope GOG is not moving closer to the Steam model. Like many, I use both as well, but I only use Steam if there is no DRM free alternative. So far I already own all the games they're offering on GOG that I'm interested in anyway. If they offer Oxenfree of Life is Strange (the latter of which won't happen, since it's not on GOG anyway. frown) then I may give it a go. I'd really like to have DRM free copies of those games as well as a DRM free copy of the updated version of The Lost Crown. As of now, however, I won't be linking my accounts.
Posted By: UruKat

Re: Add Some Steam Games to Your GOG.com Library with GOG Connect - 06/05/16 01:23 PM

I don't quite understand the difference between GoG and Steam. Everyone seems to not want to buy games from Steam. What is DRM free? I have games on both sites. Is there a reason I should transfer my games from Steam to GoG?
Sorry, but I am confused about the difference.

Re: Add Some Steam Games to Your GOG.com Library with GOG Connect - 06/05/16 04:55 PM

I happen to prefer Steam. DRM free means that you can copy the game and keep it for yourself without restrictions.

You can read a bit here.

Ana wave
Posted By: Mad

Re: Add Some Steam Games to Your GOG.com Library with GOG Connect - 06/06/16 07:55 AM

EDIT :
Sorry !! I was asking a question to which I realise I already know the answer !! slapforehead

Re: Add Some Steam Games to Your GOG.com Library with GOG Connect - 06/08/16 02:18 PM

So...how does it work? Hw do I go about doing this?Is this available now? I don't see anything on GoG about it. All I see is something about download the GoG Galaxy....is that it?
Sorry to be so clueless.

Re: Add Some Steam Games to Your GOG.com Library with GOG Connect - 06/08/16 02:48 PM

Urukat, you need to go to GoG connect here.

Ana wave

Re: Add Some Steam Games to Your GOG.com Library with GOG Connect - 06/09/16 02:33 PM

Thank you!! urock
© 2024 GameBoomers Community