GB HOMEPAGE

Is There a Game that Cheers You Up ??

Posted By: Mad

Is There a Game that Cheers You Up ?? - 02/14/17 07:29 PM

I just fired up the original Discworld - despite my big stack of "not yet played" - because I KNOW it will make me laugh !! laugh
Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

Re: Is There a Game that Cheers You Up ?? - 02/14/17 07:39 PM

I just can't get myself to replay a game.

Enjoy your game!

Ana wave

Re: Is There a Game that Cheers You Up ?? - 02/14/17 07:47 PM

Is it only casuals you re-play then, BrownEyedTigre ??

Tormentium and the like ??
Posted By: Marian

Re: Is There a Game that Cheers You Up ?? - 02/14/17 07:57 PM

Discworld is a good choice for cheering you up. yes

For me, it would be Sam and Max Hit the Road, and also Nancy Drew: Secret of Shadow Ranch. I get a kick out of Tex and Dave. grin
Posted By: Ewil02

Re: Is There a Game that Cheers You Up ?? - 02/14/17 08:04 PM

I know it seems weird given the usual dark subject material, but I always like to play the Carol Reed games to cheer me up, especially in the winter. Mikael usually has photos of summertime which are bright and colorful in Sweden which usually helps to chase the winter blahs for me. The only thing that would make me happier would be if Mikael did a similar game with a tropical location (Caribbean or Mexico) pirate
Posted By: Jenny100

Re: Is There a Game that Cheers You Up ?? - 02/14/17 09:04 PM

Myst -- because it was my first adventure game and replaying reminds me of when I was first discovering them.

Also LucasArts adventure games, like Secret of Monkey Island. I think Monkey Island was my first 3rd person adventure game.

I can certainly see how Discworld or Carol Reed could cheer someone up, but they weren't among the first games I played.
Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

Re: Is There a Game that Cheers You Up ?? - 02/14/17 09:15 PM

Mad, I don't play any casuals the last couple years except for the MCF games. I played Tormentum and Fire (which I don't consider a casual) multiple times to complete the achievements to get 100% on Steam. grin That is a rarity!

Re: Is There a Game that Cheers You Up ?? - 02/14/17 09:25 PM

My first Adventure game was The Secret of Monkey Island. Before that I had only played things with graphics such as "Computer Golf".

Of course, I loved Monkey Island so much that afterwards I went looking to see if there were other Graphic Adventures available - in case I had been missing out !! lol

Discworld came later but I thought it was absolutely hilarious yes

EDIT :

oops Not only did I spell Tormentum wrong then, BrownEyedTigre, but I classified it wrongly as well ?? redface
Posted By: GuybrushThreepwood

Re: Is There a Game that Cheers You Up ?? - 02/15/17 12:28 AM

Of the Discworld games I prefer Discworld Noir.

Re: Is There a Game that Cheers You Up ?? - 02/15/17 02:26 AM

Originally Posted By: GuybrushThreepwood
Of the Discworld games I prefer Discworld Noir.

... but does it cheer you up?

Tormentum was pretty good, but I wouldn't say it cheered me up.

Re: Is There a Game that Cheers You Up ?? - 02/15/17 04:37 AM

I very much like Discworld Noir too - but it didn't make me laugh as much as Discworld.
And whilst I also enjoyed Tormentum I certainly don't think it's a "cheer one up" game woozy
Posted By: Space Quest Fan

Re: Is There a Game that Cheers You Up ?? - 02/16/17 02:01 AM

I never played Discworld Noir but I have heard really good things about it. Mad I loved both Discworld 1 & 2. thumbsup

Games that cheer me up are:

All the Monkey Island games
Simon the Sorcerer 1 & 2
The Longest Journey
Grim Fandango
Day of the Tentacle
Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders
Posted By: colpet

Re: Is There a Game that Cheers You Up ?? - 02/16/17 03:28 AM

While I could not say playing a full game cheered me up, there are some games that I have started up just for the joy and comfort of visiting someplace familiar. Walking around Riven and Ae'gura in Uru was an escape for me, though I have lost my access to Uru since I had my computer revamped. Sometimes I load up the roller coaster in Amateria and go for a ride.
Posted By: Mikael

Re: Is There a Game that Cheers You Up ?? - 02/16/17 05:20 AM

Originally Posted By: colpet
While I could not say playing a full game cheered me up, there are some games that I have started up just for the joy and comfort of visiting someplace familiar. Walking around Riven and Ae'gura in Uru was an escape for me, though I have lost my access to Uru since I had my computer revamped. Sometimes I load up the roller coaster in Amateria and go for a ride.

I myself like to revisit the roller coaster ride in Myst III.

Re: Is There a Game that Cheers You Up ?? - 02/16/17 04:39 PM

Originally Posted By: colpet

After finishing the online version of Uru, I used to revisit the room in K'Veer with the giant arch -- a location which is not available in the single-player version of Uru -- the last picture on this page
http://www.florestica.com/hpotd/caverns_islands_and_great_shaft/kveer/index.html

You can walk around the room and see different views out the window.

I haven't tried logging into Myst Online for a while.
It's inconvenient to have to log in online as opposed to having the game installed 100% on your computer, and you run into problems like slowdowns or getting kicked oout of the game because of connectivity problems or server issues. It would be nice if Cyan could release those parts of Uru that weren't included in the original game so they could be played without a remote server.

Re: Is There a Game that Cheers You Up ?? - 02/16/17 10:38 PM

Lots of cheer up goodies on your list, Space Quest Fan grin

Re: Is There a Game that Cheers You Up ?? - 02/18/17 01:52 PM

thanks Mad
Posted By: mbday630

Re: Is There a Game that Cheers You Up ?? - 02/18/17 03:29 PM

Simon the Sorcerer 1 and 2 cheer me up the most but also Day of the Tentacle. Whenever I am feeling down, a good play through of the Simon games takes my mind off of things. Also, Day of the Tentacle always cheers me up.
Posted By: Winfrey

Re: Is There a Game that Cheers You Up ?? - 02/18/17 04:26 PM

Uru live.. nice flashback Jenny100. I really enjoyed playing that.. and meeting up with some GB'rs to play along with...
Posted By: LadyKestrel

Re: Is There a Game that Cheers You Up ?? - 02/19/17 12:36 AM

Starship Titanic, Callahan's Crosstime Saloon, Discworld, and The Space Bar all make me smile. grin

Re: Is There a Game that Cheers You Up ?? - 02/19/17 07:58 AM

Several of my own "Cheering Up" choices getting listed on this thread !! laugh laugh laugh
Posted By: DocPaul

Re: Is There a Game that Cheers You Up ?? - 02/20/17 01:21 PM

Legacy of Time always makes me laugh....some of the crazy lines that Arthur said, like "Gage, quick, show them your buttcrack" on the top of the levy in Atlantis.

Re: Is There a Game that Cheers You Up ?? - 02/21/17 06:25 AM

Legacy of Time is one of my all time favourites and I'm pleased to hear you enjoy it too, DocPaul grin

But it doesn't actually cheer me up quite so much as some others laugh
Posted By: meryl

Re: Is There a Game that Cheers You Up ?? - 02/21/17 09:16 AM

The blues music of the Cadenza series - but that's a casual series of games so maybe doesn't count on this thread.

That background music brings on all the happy feramones! happydance

Re: Is There a Game that Cheers You Up ?? - 02/22/17 07:36 PM

Oooooh !! I'd better investigate. I've never played any from that series laugh

Re: Is There a Game that Cheers You Up ?? - 02/23/17 12:35 AM

Some games like The Dig, Shivers and Legend of Kyrandia even the music cheered me up
Posted By: Starcom

Re: Is There a Game that Cheers You Up ?? - 02/23/17 01:29 AM

Games that cheer me up is the Oldie but still one of the best Adv. games out there is.... Leisure Suit Larry,, every time I replay one of the games, I always have a chuckle or two to see what kind of mess LSL gets into. And the writing and snappy comebacks in this series, unless your a Void of humor will make you LOL. And LSL not only got me into playing Adv. games, but I know of a lot of people who got into Adv. games thanks to LSL.

Re: Is There a Game that Cheers You Up ?? - 02/23/17 02:00 AM

I forgot all about Larry. Oh how I miss the good old days of Sierra and Lucas Arts.
Posted By: Mikael

Re: Is There a Game that Cheers You Up ?? - 02/24/17 01:26 AM

Leisure Suit Larry was also the game that got me into adventure games. And all the games in the series still cheer me up, except for later games without Al Lowe of course.

I can remember when I played the first scene in the first game as if it was yesterday, standing outside Lefty's bar trying to get in. At first I thought that there was something wrong with the game, since you couldn't do any of the things that one usually did in video games. The only thing I understood that I could do, except for moving around, was to type things with the keyboard. I got irritated, and typed something not suitable to quote on this forum. The game answered "Same to you, buddy!" From that moment, I was hooked.

I had no idea that games like that were made. It was like a new world opening up.
Posted By: Marian

Re: Is There a Game that Cheers You Up ?? - 02/24/17 02:30 AM

Mikael, I always loved it when the designers had a text parser that recognized some possible inputs from the player that were, shall we say, less than polite, so I know exactly what you mean. grin

Re: Is There a Game that Cheers You Up ?? - 02/24/17 06:53 AM

Yes. I've experienced that too and got quite a shock !! lol
Posted By: connie

Re: Is There a Game that Cheers You Up ?? - 02/24/17 01:12 PM

That was my first game too. I remember calling the taxi outside of Lefty's and trying to get in it quick enough. wavegirl

Re: Is There a Game that Cheers You Up ?? - 02/24/17 10:24 PM

I think the biggest laugh I ever got out of a game was in Zac Mckracken and the Alien Mindbenders. There was a point in the game where you had to enter a password from their code sheet to play the game. If you entered the wrong code you went to a screen where Zac was in a jail cell and it said you really should buy a legal copy of the game.

I liked the screen in Kings Quest 2 when you were on top of the mountain and if you looked in the hole you got a promo cut scene for their Space Quest game. That cracked me up. smile
© 2024 GameBoomers Community