GB HOMEPAGE

29 Essential, Must Play Adventure Games

Posted By: CountZero

29 Essential, Must Play Adventure Games - 05/23/17 04:24 AM

I thought this would be of interest to all the members.....

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/05/19/29-essential-must-play-adventure-games?page=1
Posted By: MaG

Re: 29 Essential, Must Play Adventure Games - 05/23/17 04:55 AM

Hmmm... Thanks Count Zero.
Posted By: connie

Re: 29 Essential, Must Play Adventure Games - 05/23/17 12:20 PM

Thanks Count Zero, a great read. Brought back many good memories.
Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

Re: 29 Essential, Must Play Adventure Games - 05/23/17 01:43 PM

Thanks, CountZero!

Ana wave
Posted By: SirDave

Re: 29 Essential, Must Play Adventure Games - 05/24/17 03:21 AM

Inevitably, a list like this, especially limited to 29 (though there are sub-lists of naming a few others) raises the question as to why some classics aren't mentioned. A few of the puzzle-oriented games that come to my mind as missing are: Riven, Rhem, Aura and Obsidian.
Posted By: frazap

Re: 29 Essential, Must Play Adventure Games - 05/26/17 09:16 AM

I can't take anyone seriously who writes "The third game swapped being good for being best forgotten" about Gabriel Knight 3. It's my favourite game of all time (together with Riven and Silent Hill 2).
Posted By: The Haze

Re: 29 Essential, Must Play Adventure Games - 05/26/17 03:14 PM

I don't mind these kinds of lists, but can never understand why URU isn't on them. It's my most favorite game ever.
Posted By: Space Quest Fan

Re: 29 Essential, Must Play Adventure Games - 05/26/17 09:04 PM

There are a lot of good games on that list. thumbsup
Posted By: Jenny100

Re: 29 Essential, Must Play Adventure Games - 05/26/17 09:11 PM

Originally Posted By: Space Quest Fan
There are a lot of good games on that list.

Even more that aren't.
Posted By: Marian

Re: 29 Essential, Must Play Adventure Games - 05/26/17 09:15 PM

I see it as just a small portion of the good adventure games that one could put on a list: nothing more, nothing less. Of course there are a lot of must-play games that are left off. If we all made a list such as this, inevitably there would be outrage from someone else about games that were omitted, right?
Posted By: Jenny100

Re: 29 Essential, Must Play Adventure Games - 05/27/17 01:44 AM

Originally Posted By: Marian
If we all made a list such as this, inevitably there would be outrage from someone else about games that were omitted, right?

We all DID make a list -- we make one every year, and no one has outrage because we all know our fellow gamers are entitled to their personal likes and dislikes. None of us are posting our personal lists as if their's is the only opinion that matters.

Richard Cobbett's lists are always biased, and he's claiming to be an authority. This isn't his first games list and I doubt it will be his last. You'll never find games like Tormentum, Carol Reed, Morpheus, Shivers, Aura, or Outcry on his lists because he doesn't like 1st person point-and-click games. In a list of 29 games he only includes 4 first person point-and-clicks -- and omits Riven. He's done this for years and it's long past getting old.

He also seems to think The Walking Dead is better than games like Grim Fandango, The Pandora Directive, Gabriel Knight 1, The Last Express, Kentucky Route Zero, Blackwell Legacy, and The Longest Journey. I doubt many here would agree.

What he said about Gabriel Knight 3 shows more of his bias. GK3 had a good story and IMO its biggest problem was its interface, which some people couldn't get used to.

Gameboomers' much better list is here
http://www.gameboomers.com/GameBoomersAnnualGamelist.htm

Gameboomers' lists from previous years are here
http://www.gameboomers.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/forums/11/1/ANNUAL_GAMES_RECOMMENDATIONS
Posted By: Mikael

Re: 29 Essential, Must Play Adventure Games - 05/29/17 02:36 AM

"Best of" lists are always subjective, and therefore hard to criticize. But I think that every seasoned adventure game player would agree that the writer isn't qualified (and/or too biased) to put "The best adventure games from every subgenre" in the headline.
Posted By: Marian

Re: 29 Essential, Must Play Adventure Games - 05/29/17 03:30 AM

Originally Posted By: Jenny100
Originally Posted By: Marian
If we all made a list such as this, inevitably there would be outrage from someone else about games that were omitted, right?

We all DID make a list -- we make one every year, and no one has outrage because we all know our fellow gamers are entitled to their personal likes and dislikes. None of us are posting our personal lists as if their's is the only opinion that matters.

I wasn't including GameBoomers in my remarks - we are more civilized than that. wink

And I agree with you and Mikael that biases of course hold true for this list.
Posted By: meryl

Re: 29 Essential, Must Play Adventure Games - 05/29/17 09:24 AM

I come to this discussion from a different point of view.

When I read a heading like "the 29 best games" I expect a list, perhaps fleshed out with some background info and the reason why it was considered worthy of inclusion. Instead I saw there were some 5 pages to be hacked thru' and when I got to the bottom of page 1 (and I'm a quick reader) there was no sign of even the beginnings of a list, only a lot of waffle and smart-assed comments , so I couldn't be bothered to read the rest of the pages. I have no idea what was on the list but I'm unsurprised that it is not a very professional and considered evaluation.

Long live the Gameboomers list - clear, well presented, and contributed by a community whose evaluations I respect.
Posted By: Mad

Re: 29 Essential, Must Play Adventure Games - 05/29/17 02:34 PM

I enjoy contributing to the Gameboomer Lists and seeing which games other members might recommend yes

But game likes and dislikes are so personal I don't actually rely on any lists of this nature when choosing a game to play myself laugh
© 2024 GameBoomers Community