GB HOMEPAGE

Scary ??

Posted By: Mad

Scary ?? - 05/27/17 04:39 PM

Have you ever genuinely felt nervously uncomfortable when playing an Adventure ?? scared

The most recent for me is still "scratches" .... Although having played it again twice, since, I've now got over it lol
Posted By: The Haze

Re: Scary ?? - 05/27/17 04:53 PM

I agree with your comment on "Scratches." I never saw it coming and jumped about ten feet when it happened the first time. I am an arachnophobic and I remember a scene in the first "Barrow Hill" where a spider showed up suddenly on the full screen. I jumped, yelped, and spilled my rather expensive adult beverage. I think it was so shocking because the situation had nothing to do with anything in the story, but it certainly got to me.

Re: Scary ?? - 05/27/17 05:09 PM

Hahaha !! I jumped too ghost

But the thing in Scratches that absolutely got to me the most was the trepidation that built up and built up about going down into that basement eek
Posted By: oldbroad

Re: Scary ?? - 05/27/17 05:13 PM

I can't really say I have. I played Scratches years ago and kind of remember wondering what all the hype was about. I probably should replay it since I don't really remember much about it.

I think it was in Barrow Hill that I do remember jumping when some crow startled me out of nowhere though.

I jump sometimes when my brother comes upstairs or my cat jumps next to me when I am immersed in a game but it does not have to be a scary game for that to happen.
Posted By: Jenny100

Re: Scary ?? - 05/27/17 05:14 PM

Dark Fall: The Journal -- when you notice the shadows on the wall have changed

Dark Fall: Lights Out -- when you see the mannequin in the diorama has moved

Scratches -- the oven

Any game that relies on sudden loud noises to startle me kills any ability it might have had to scare me or increase feeling of suspense -- loud noises make me angry, and when I'm angry, I don't get scared.
Posted By: Draclvr

Re: Scary ?? - 05/27/17 05:26 PM

Amnesia the Dark Descent - so terrifying to me, I couldn't even play it at times.

Vampire the Masquerade - down in the basement in the hotel where there were at least 3 scares with the final one for me being in the boiler room. Quit playing and at 10:00 still had to go out to the barn that night. I was scared to death waiting for something to jump out at me!
Posted By: Upsydaisy

Re: Scary ?? - 05/27/17 05:29 PM

Going down the stairs in 'Scratches' towards the 'oven'- heart pounding moment. More recently Root of Evil-The tailor. I turned around and the ghost was behind me, actually screamed. scared

Re: Scary ?? - 05/27/17 05:33 PM

I've been beta testing Conarium, a game based on a work of H.P. Lovecraft, and during a sequence jumped and screamed like a little girl. The developers laughed and said that was the exact response they had intended!
Posted By: Marian

Re: Scary ?? - 05/27/17 05:43 PM

I am replaying Gabriel Knight 2: The Beast Within right now and there are definitely some scary moments, as well as moments that are just downright unsettling.
Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

Re: Scary ?? - 05/27/17 06:53 PM

Barrow Hill and the crow, hands down! lol
Posted By: Susie07

Re: Scary ?? - 05/27/17 09:16 PM

Hi, Marian!

You wouldn't happen to be referring to a certain scene near the hunting lodge with Von Zell, now would you grin ?

Another game that made me jump more than once was "Shivers", especially near the beginning when I was crossing the lake and the water Ixupi jumped out of the water at me. Loved that game!

Susan

Re: Scary ?? - 05/27/17 09:20 PM

That scene would definitely be included, Susan. scared

And I agree with you about Shivers - that game really has its scary/spooky/creepy moments!
Posted By: venus

Re: Scary ?? - 05/28/17 04:36 AM

The Lost Crown for me, particularly the museum at night. Very scary game and one of my favorites as well. grin

Re: Scary ?? - 05/28/17 06:20 AM

Shivers for sure. I seem to remember a scare in a cave or something... Think I need to replay this one!

Re: Scary ?? - 05/28/17 12:38 PM

Ahhhhh .... Gabriel Knight : The Beast Within. I certainly agree !! I'd forgotten about that one woozy

And the crow in Barrow Hill, too. Definitely got shocked by that .... Yikes shocked

But Draclvr, aren't Amnesia the Dark Descent and Vampire the Masquerade both classed as Darkside and not Adventure ??
[ I could list several Darkside games myself that scared the pants off me !! wink ]

Re: Scary ?? - 05/28/17 09:02 PM

Vampire Masquerade is definitely Darkside, but Dark Descent is adventure. It just isn't a point and click.

Re: Scary ?? - 05/29/17 02:45 PM

Wow !! Nearly forgot to mention Phantasmagoria !!

I found several areas in that game pretty nerve wracking but the visit to the barn especially so scared

Re: Scary ?? - 05/29/17 02:45 PM

Hi, Marian!

Another game that made me jump more than once was "The Black Mirror". There was one scene that comes to mind where Samuel was in the Sanitarium. He peeked through a hole in one of the cell's walls and suddenly an eyeball popped up on the other side. I almost fell off my chair and definitely scared my dog lol !

Susan

Re: Scary ?? - 05/29/17 03:01 PM

Black Mirror and Phantasmagoria definitely belong on this list! I have replayed both in the last couple of years. scared

Re: Scary ?? - 05/29/17 05:39 PM

Oh, yes !! The Black Mirror certainly had some creepy moments. I'd forgotten about them redface

I think I need to look over my game collection at a more leisurely pace so as not to miss any lol
Posted By: The Haze

Re: Scary ?? - 05/29/17 06:56 PM

I love these lists. I always am reminded of one older game I have missed and must play NOW. ("Phantasmagoria" this time.) I may never have to worry as to whether or not my computer will play "Syberia III" or "Obduction."

Re: Scary ?? - 05/30/17 04:09 PM

Hi, Mad!

I just can't bring myself to get rid of my old computer games lol ! I think I'll see if "Shivers" and "Phantasmagoria" will run on this computer because they are 2 of my all-time favorites. I remember the controversy over a few scenes when "Phantasmagoria" was first released and we could play either the censored or uncensored version.

Susan

Re: Scary ?? - 05/30/17 04:35 PM

I have no intention of ever getting rid of my old games. I have so many favourites amongst them yes

I've gone as far as whittling them down to those I can still play in DOS, Win98SE, WinXP and Win7 .. but that's IT !! No further !! laugh

Re: Scary ?? - 05/30/17 06:13 PM

Originally Posted By: Mad
I've gone as far as whittling them down to those I can still play in DOS, Win98SE, WinXP and Win7 .. but that's IT !! No further !!

What else did you have besides "DOS, Win98SE, WinXP and Win7"?

Re: Scary ?? - 05/30/17 07:43 PM

Win95 !! lol

I used to keep every game I ever bought but have stopped doing that.

Now I only keep games that I really like and which I know will play on one of my machines.

But that still gives me a sizeable and comprehensive collection happydance

Re: Scary ?? - 05/30/17 08:05 PM

Windows 95 games should play in Windows 98.
Even Windows 3.1 games usually play in Win98.

I was thinking you had games for Amiga or C64 or some other pre-MSDOS computer. There are emulators for those anyway.

Re: Scary ?? - 05/30/17 08:32 PM

I'm pretty sure I had a couple of games that I could only play in Win95, Jenny100, but I couldn't tell you what they were at this late date.
If they HAD worked in Win98 (and I liked the games) I'm sure I'd still have them now ....

[ And yes, I certainly had Win3.1 games.]

But as for things like "emulators" ??

Heck !! You know what I'm like with anything technical NOW redface

And in those days I was hard pressed to even make a patch work !!!! : slapforehead
Posted By: flotsam

Re: Scary ?? - 05/31/17 04:28 AM

The First Dark Fall for sure - I ran like a fraidy cat to get away from the shadow.
There is a room in Faust where my recollection is that you hear a woman screaming, and their are disturbing images all over the wall. That place creeped me out.

Re: Scary ?? - 05/31/17 04:51 AM

Hi, Mad!

I alphabetized all of my games, but I have no idea what operating system each one will run under lol ! I really should go through them because I'm sure some are on floppies.

Susan
Posted By: Adam Beals

Re: Scary ?? - 05/31/17 08:09 AM

I played both Phantasmagoria games last Halloween. Must play again smile
Love that GOG.com sells all those old Sierra games!
Posted By: colpet

Re: Scary ?? - 05/31/17 12:13 PM

Darkfall The Journal, where you had the flashlight beam and had to explore the basement - very hard to do with your eyes almost squinted closed! I was so sure something was going to jump out at me.
Posted By: SCOTTY

Re: Scary ?? - 06/02/17 04:03 AM

The church in LOST CROWN really freeeeked me out!! You think you should be safe in a church but when you realize you're not alone in there & you start to think how wicked this spirit must be that it can invade a church. AMEN

Re: Scary ?? - 06/02/17 07:07 PM

Love your "AMEN", SCOTTY !! lol
© 2024 GameBoomers Community