GB HOMEPAGE

Blackenrock Update

Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

Blackenrock Update - 06/15/17 10:35 PM

Check out Jonathan's Update here.

FYI, the game is twice as large as TLC1!

Ana wave
Posted By: flotsam

Re: Blackenrock Update - 06/15/17 10:46 PM

Thanks Ana smile
Posted By: Cathy1

Re: Blackenrock Update - 06/15/17 11:17 PM

Thanks Ana.

Cathy wave2
Posted By: Marian

Re: Blackenrock Update - 06/15/17 11:20 PM

Thanks, Ana. Fingers crossed. smile
Posted By: Jenny100

Re: Blackenrock Update - 06/15/17 11:46 PM

I'll wait for a DRM-free version.
The only way to get the first Lost Crown game DRM-Free seems to be at http://www.shadowtorstudios.com/store
I don't see The Lost Crown at Fireflower or GOG though GOG seems to have the Dark Fall games.
Posted By: revco

Re: Blackenrock Update - 06/16/17 12:36 AM

Thanks Ana. So looking forward to this.
Posted By: Mad

Re: Blackenrock Update - 06/16/17 01:01 AM

Thank you for that link, BrownEyedTigre thumbsup

I, too, will be waiting for a DRM Free release - even if it does mean a bit longer of a wait laugh
Posted By: venus

Re: Blackenrock Update - 06/16/17 03:57 AM

Thanks, Ana. Hope this is the time we finally see it! happydance

I'm hoping the boxed version he mentioned will be a possibility, and if so, that it will be DRM free. Aside from some Kickstarters, I haven't bought a boxed copy in a very long time. yes
Posted By: Uncle Reg

Re: Blackenrock Update - 06/16/17 06:17 AM

Originally Posted By: Jenny100
The only way to get the first Lost Crown game DRM-Free seems to be at http://www.shadowtorstudios.com/store

Is that the original Lost Crown, or the newer enhanced version.
Posted By: frazap

Re: Blackenrock Update - 06/16/17 11:54 AM

Originally Posted By: Uncle Reg

Is that the original Lost Crown, or the newer enhanced version.

The only way to get the enhanced version is through Steam I believe. But it's as far as I can tell completely DRM free once installed, meaning you can move the game folder to whereever you wish and it works. You only need Steam to purchase and get the game delivered. Of course you don't get "achievements" when playing outside of Steam, but that's only a positive thing for me...
Posted By: Winfrey

Re: Blackenrock Update - 06/16/17 02:37 PM

bravo bravo bravo
Posted By: GBC

Re: Blackenrock Update - 06/16/17 02:43 PM

Thanks Ana, thanks

Re: Blackenrock Update - 06/16/17 09:09 PM

Frazap, you're absolutely right, the enhanced version of the original is DRM free! I tried copying the files to one of my other computers, and the game ran perfectly. happydance Thanks very much for the information! It makes me very happy to know that I actually "own" the enhanced version of The Lost Crown. bravo Which gives me hope that this will also be the case for the upcoming game if Steam turns out to be the only option.

Now if only the same could be true of Life is Strange and the new King's Quest . . . wink

Re: Blackenrock Update - 06/16/17 09:45 PM

Nothing on Steam is DRM-free.
Steam itself is DRM -- any game on Steam requires the Steam client to get the game. They don't have a direct download.
Posted By: shine

Re: Blackenrock Update - 06/17/17 02:25 AM

OH MY GOSH!!!!! I AM SOOOO EXCITED!!!
WOOOOHOOOOOO!!!! Shake your booty, yeah!!! laugh

Re: Blackenrock Update - 06/17/17 04:43 AM

I love your enthusiasm, shine! Me too!

Ana wave

Re: Blackenrock Update - 06/17/17 06:24 AM

Nothing on Steam is DRM-free.
Steam itself is DRM -- any game on Steam requires the Steam client to get the game. They don't have a direct download.

True, you need the client to download the game, but when I transferred the files to a computer without Steam installed, it ran without any issues. The game itself doesn't appear to have any DRM on it. duh

@shine, I will definitely have that reaction as well once the game is released. grin thumbsup Hopefully, this will finally be the year. yes
Posted By: Mad

Re: Blackenrock Update - 06/17/17 10:21 AM

How many people though will have the two computers required to run a Steam release as a DRM Free game think

Re: Blackenrock Update - 06/17/17 01:14 PM

Mad, you don't actually need two computers. You can just transfer it to a USB stick, or even a regular CD Rom to save it for future use. It only takes up a little over 1 gig. You can also move the files to another location on your computer, outside of the Steam folder, delete Steam if you want to, and it should work just the same.

Re: Blackenrock Update - 06/17/17 01:53 PM

That is very interesting, venus, and good to know.

Ana, twice as large as The Lost Crown? That boggles my mind!! dance

Re: Blackenrock Update - 06/17/17 02:13 PM

Originally Posted By: venus
True, you need the client to download the game...

And you have to install that client, and whatever junk is buried inside it if you want the game. Does it fully uninstall if you don't want it? Who knows.
The Steam client itself is DRM.

Re: Blackenrock Update - 06/17/17 03:08 PM

No problem, Marian. And if Blackenrock is twice as big as The Lost Crown, it's going to be an exceptionally long game. woot I'm really enjoying some of the longer adventure games that have been coming out lately. Everything I'm hearing about this is making me really hope that we do in fact see it this year. bunny

True, you need the client to download the game...

And you have to install that client, and whatever junk is buried inside it if you want the game. Does it fully uninstall if you don't want it? Who knows.
The Steam client itself is DRM.

That's fair enough, and I can understand not wanting to install the client. I was just pointing out that the game files themselves don't appear to have DRM. smile I actually wouldn't use Steam at all if it weren't a "necessary evil" I needed in order to play some games I really love and would have missed out on otherwise. If it's an option, I will always choose a DRM free site first, so I completely understand where you're coming from and why you and others do not use Steam at all.

Re: Blackenrock Update - 06/17/17 04:01 PM

I actually wouldn't use Steam at all if it weren't a "necessary evil" I needed in order to play some games I really love and would have missed out on otherwise.

They're practically a monopoly -- and combined with their spotty record for customer support and ***other reasons*** it's a very bad situation for gamers.

I still have games I haven't played yet, so Steam doesn't have anything I absolutely need. Everyone has to make the decision of whether to buy from Steam for themselves, but it's important to make an informed decision.
Posted By: FlyingDutchman42

Re: Blackenrock Update - 06/17/17 04:38 PM

I am pleased with Steam, although I had to learn
how to use it best, but since 2009 I am a member and
have downloaded quit a number of games.
But I do miss the fact that it is getting harder and
harder to get boxed versions of games and that
downloading games has practically replaced the
boxed versions. cry

About the blackenrock game: Won't buy it, cause
have long since lost my patience waiting.
(Although I have all the other Darkfall games,
and even had more than one of each,) sleep

Rob ghost
Posted By: frazap

Re: Blackenrock Update - 06/18/17 08:37 PM

That's fair enough, and I can understand not wanting to install the client. I was just pointing out that the game files themselves don't appear to have DRM. smile I actually wouldn't use Steam at all if it weren't a "necessary evil" I needed in order to play some games I really love and would have missed out on otherwise. If it's an option, I will always choose a DRM free site first, so I completely understand where you're coming from and why you and others do not use Steam at all.

Exactly my view. Many adventure games on Steam are DRM-free and don't need the client to work. Once installed you can backup and store and play the game on another computer, even one that doesn't even have Steam installed. That's just as good as having a GOG or other DRM-free version of the game. But I always go to GOG or other vendors before buying from Steam. I agree that Steam is DRM in itself, but only when the client is needed to play the game. If not the client works more or less as a download manager.

Anyway, hope mr Boakes finally delivers. The Lost Crown is a masterpiece. Didn't care at all for Midnight Horror though. A bit silly for my taste. Hope he goes back to the feel of the original game.
Posted By: bootskitty

Re: Blackenrock Update - 06/25/17 04:03 PM

I cannot wait for this game!
Posted By: Thorsgoats

Re: Blackenrock Update - 07/02/17 03:55 PM

Thank you, BrownEyedTigre. I'm looking forward to it coming out. I've been waiting a long time for it and am going through Nigel withdrawal. I keep walking around saying, "Is there anybody there? Am I alone in this place?" grin

Re: Blackenrock Update - 07/02/17 04:35 PM

Originally Posted By: Thorsgoats
Thank you, BrownEyedTigre. I'm looking forward to it coming out. I've been waiting a long time for it and am going through Nigel withdrawal. I keep walking around saying, "Is there anybody there? Am I alone in this place?" grin

lol I know what you mean.
Posted By: monbron

Re: Blackenrock Update - 07/03/17 01:49 PM

Ohhhhhhhhhhh goody !! Can' wait - well I know I have to but this has made my day.
Posted By: revco

Re: Blackenrock Update - 07/30/17 07:47 PM

The website has been updated:

http://www.darklingroom.co.uk/

Re: Blackenrock Update - 07/30/17 08:03 PM

I was just going to post that, I've been out. lol
Posted By: oldbroad

Re: Blackenrock Update - 07/30/17 09:45 PM

Thank you!
Posted By: CountZero

Re: Blackenrock Update - 08/01/17 03:22 AM

I see that they changed the video requirements for Midnight Horror. I can now finally play it.....woo hoo yay

Re: Blackenrock Update - 08/01/17 03:40 AM

Enjoy CountZero! I thought you played in before?

Ana wave
Posted By: CountZero

Re: Blackenrock Update - 08/01/17 04:04 PM

When Midnight Horror first came out the video resolution requirements were higher than my laptop would support. I was able to hook up my old desktop monitor to my laptop to play it, but it was just too much hassle for a lazy guy like me smile Now I am very happy to be able to play it on my laptop while I sit in my recliner smile

Re: Blackenrock Update - 08/01/17 04:50 PM

Wonderful! Enjoy!
© 2024 GameBoomers Community