GB HOMEPAGE

The Riddle of the Sphinx Announcement - Kickstarter is Live!

Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

The Riddle of the Sphinx Announcement - Kickstarter is Live! - 10/27/17 11:21 PM

More news coming soon! The Riddle of the Sphinx

Check out the Kickstarter here.

Quote:
Riddle of the Sphinx Mobile Enhanced
Hey everyone! We went back to re-examine Riddle of the Sphinx and the requests we were getting for many of you to play the original game. So we went digging through old artifacts, stumbling through the lost tombs and hidden chambers of the original release of ROTS and retooled our approach to re-awakening Riddle of the Sphinx. We had to even reach out to Rand at Cyan (special thanks to Rand!) for some 20+ year old Strata software to get into our "ancient" 3d models!!

While we will release a realtime 3d version of the original ROTS, we have been actively developing an enhanced version of the original in its point and click format, only this time re-lit and re-rendered in 1080p HD for mobile devices, tablets, desktop, and even AppleTV!
So, we wanted you to be the first to hear about our exciting reawakening of Riddle and our new Kickstarter "kicking off" one of many epic adventures to come in the Riddle of the Sphinx franchise.

We will be sending a link to the new Kickstarter page soon. And you can visit the official ROTS website for more information: http://riddleofthesphinx.com

More to come...
Thanks for your continued support and encouragement!
Jeff, Karen, Charlie, and Marta
The ROTS Team

Woohoo! Stay tuned for more!

Ana wave
Posted By: oldbroad

Re: The Riddle of the Sphinx Announcement - 10/27/17 11:39 PM

Yes, Good game!
Posted By: Marian

Re: The Riddle of the Sphinx Announcement - 10/28/17 12:47 AM

Thanks for the news, Ana. wave
Posted By: GreyFuss

Re: The Riddle of the Sphinx Announcement - 10/28/17 01:47 AM

Fantastic, Awesome, Exciting, one of my all time favorites and in 3D HD...priceless. IMO...skip the Mobile and just concentrate on the PC HD Remake.
bravo
Posted By: revco

Re: The Riddle of the Sphinx Announcement - 10/28/17 02:14 AM

Sweet...thanks for the info. One of my favorites too.
Posted By: Mad

Re: The Riddle of the Sphinx Announcement - 10/28/17 03:16 PM

Wow !! Never thought this would actually happen, BrownEyedTigre !! happydance
Thanks for the news bravo
Posted By: Jenny100

Re: The Riddle of the Sphinx Announcement - 10/28/17 04:00 PM

I hope they retain the integrity of the puzzles from the original game in the point-and-click version.

I'm done with mobile, but a new point-and-click PC version with more detailed graphics would be interesting.
Posted By: looney4labs

Re: The Riddle of the Sphinx Announcement - 10/28/17 05:07 PM

Loved that game. Would love to play it updated.
Posted By: Tally Ho

Re: The Riddle of the Sphinx Announcement - 10/29/17 12:52 AM

Me too. Played it way-back-when, and enjoyed it. (Still have it, but as you have all experienced, it won't run on a new computer.
Posted By: sanford

Re: The Riddle of the Sphinx Announcement - 10/30/17 01:37 AM

I just signed up on their website to receive updates to my e-mail, fellow Boomers
Sandy
Posted By: GuybrushThreepwood

Re: The Riddle of the Sphinx Announcement - 10/31/17 03:44 AM

I've got the original game on a disk in the other room. Unopened.
Posted By: Kaki's Sister

Re: The Riddle of the Sphinx Announcement - 10/31/17 09:19 AM

I still have the original version on disk too. I would love to be able to play on my iMac too! Thanks Ana and the ROTS Team!

Re: The Riddle of the Sphinx Announcement - 10/31/17 03:59 PM

Originally Posted By: Tally Ho
Me too. Played it way-back-when, and enjoyed it. (Still have it, but as you have all experienced, it won't run on a new computer.

Not everyone has experienced this. I know people who play the game on Windows 7 - but this is a topic for a different forum. smile
Posted By: Creeping_Doom

Re: The Riddle of the Sphinx Announcement - 11/01/17 01:20 AM

I had it running on Win 10 , when I had Win 10
Posted By: flotsam

Re: The Riddle of the Sphinx Announcement - 11/01/17 08:17 AM

Agreed - ditch the mobile!

Re: The Riddle of the Sphinx Announcement - 11/01/17 10:42 PM

The Kickstarter is now live!

Check it out here.

Ana wave

Re: The Riddle of the Sphinx Announcement - 11/02/17 12:52 AM

Exciting for sure and looks marvelous. I know their projected release is in a year I wonder what their plans are for delivery. Are they publishing and selling themselves, Steam maybe?

Re: The Riddle of the Sphinx Announcement - Kickstarter is Live! - 11/02/17 04:29 PM

Here is the message from the developer:

Quote:
Hey Ana! We are still determining the mode of deliver and DRM status, but we are ears open so feel free to share your/their thoughts. And please pass along a HI from me to all our Gameboomer friends!! smile

Ana wave
Posted By: Mordack

Re: The Riddle of the Sphinx Announcement - Kickstarter is Live! - 11/02/17 08:54 PM

Pledged!
This is timely ...

Re: The Riddle of the Sphinx Announcement - Kickstarter is Live! - 11/02/17 09:53 PM

Me too !!!! happydance happydance happydance
Posted By: revco

Re: The Riddle of the Sphinx Announcement - Kickstarter is Live! - 11/02/17 10:02 PM

I pledged too. smile
Posted By: Creeping_Doom

Re: The Riddle of the Sphinx Announcement - Kickstarter is Live! - 11/02/17 11:37 PM

Originally Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

Quote:
Hey Ana! We are still determining the mode of deliver and DRM status, but we are ears open so feel free to share your/their thoughts. And please pass along a HI from me to all our Gameboomer friends!! smile

Ana wave

DRM ? Easy : none . Deliver method . GOG or publisher direct .

Re: The Riddle of the Sphinx Announcement - Kickstarter is Live! - 11/03/17 12:12 AM

Originally Posted By: BrownEyedTigre
We are still determining the mode of deliver and DRM status, but we are ears open so feel free to share your/their thoughts. And please pass along a HI from me to all our Gameboomer friends!! smile

Thank you Sheriff and thank you to the Toblers smile
Posted By: dianne

Re: The Riddle of the Sphinx Announcement - Kickstarter is Live! - 11/03/17 08:28 PM

just pledged too yes

Re: The Riddle of the Sphinx Announcement - Kickstarter is Live! - 11/04/17 03:00 AM

I didn't know (or just forgot) that this is the second time they have tried a remake through Kickstarter. The first time, the creator canceled the project even after the pledges reached over $10,000 of a $50,000 goal back in 2014. Don't know if they were down to the wire before cancelling when it was evident they wouldn't make the goal. This time around the goal was very modest (even though I think $50,000 was modest)and has already been reached, I would love to hear the Toblers thoughts on that effort. Maybe it was just a case of not knowing how much there was to running a Kickstarter campaign then. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jef...profile_created

Re: The Riddle of the Sphinx Announcement - Kickstarter is Live! - 11/04/17 04:28 AM

Greyfuss, we had the original announced here. I'm just glad that they kept working on it and happy to help them succeed this time!

Ana wave

Re: The Riddle of the Sphinx Announcement - Kickstarter is Live! - 11/04/17 10:03 AM

Thanks Sheriff

Of course I hope they succeed this time and I also wish them success for additional games they are planning in the franchise after this remake for merely selfish reasons. grin
Posted By: Jenny100

Re: The Riddle of the Sphinx Announcement - 11/04/17 08:05 PM

Originally Posted By: GreyFuss
Fantastic, Awesome, Exciting, one of my all time favorites and in 3D HD...priceless. IMO...skip the Mobile and just concentrate on the PC HD Remake.

Originally Posted By: flotsam
Agreed - ditch the mobile!

Indeed.
Here are some reasons NOT to make a mobile version:

Reason I.
Nearly all mobile ports of older 1st person games are stripped-down, abridged versions with puzzles removed, hotspots removed, interactivity removed, even entire locations removed from the game. Mobile ports by Microids/Anuman of 1st person games from Cryo, Microids Canada, Kheops, etc. are simply not worth playing. Then Microids/Anuman took these gutted mobile ports and ported them back to PC. Sure they work on Windows 10 now, but they still aren't worth playing compared to the original low resolution versions of the games for Windows 95/98/XP which were complete games.

For example, check the user reviews of Atlantis 2 at Steam, where Steam is selling the gutted mobile-port-ported-back-to-PC version.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/362920/Atlantis_2_Beyond_Atlantis/
(GOG still sells the original complete game, which may take a few tweaks to compatibility mode to work properly -- Play as administrator, Disable visual themes, Disable desktop composition, Disable display scaling on high DPI settings, but at least on my Windows 7 and 8.1 computers it wasn't necessary to choose XP compatibility).

The only exception to the bad-1st-person-mobile-port rule that I've played is Myst, where Cyan made sure the mobile port of Myst was faithful to the original game and didn't leave things out. Perhaps Riven for mobile is the same as Myst but I haven't tested it.

Almost always,
"Optimized for mobile" = garbage stripped-down version

So mobile ports of 1st person games have a bad reputation. Even if you intend to make the updated Riddle of the Sphinx a complete version, like Myst is, you're still working against the fact that most ports of older 1st person adventure games are stripped down and simply awful. You can thank Microids/Anuman for this perception because they made so many of these horrible ports.

Don't confuse Microids/Anuman with Microids Canada, a long-defunct developer (dismantled in 2005) that actually created some of the original 1st person games for Windows 95/98 like Amerzone and Road to India, as well as 3rd person games like Syberia and Still Life. The current Microids/Anuman simply bought the IP and the original developers are long gone.

I bought nearly all of these stinkpot mobile ports (for iPad) of 1st person games as soon as they were available, without realizing they were stripped-down abominations. For example, Amerzone, Atlantis 2, Atlantis 3, Cleopatra, Secrets of Da Vinci, Egypt 2, Egypt 3, Return to Mysterious Island, Echo: Mystery of the Lost Cavern, Nostradamus, Road to India, etc. and without exception they were stripped-down garbage. I doubt I'm the only fan of these games that now knows to avoid these mobile ports of old 1st person adventure games.

Reason II.
There's also the issue of how people play games on mobile. They don't usually sit down and play for hours the way they might with a PC or TV-attached console. They do it in fits and starts, whenever they have a bit of spare time throughout the day. That's not the best way to play a puzzle-heavy adventure game which probably requires a bit of note-taking.

Reason III.
Maybe more a reason to update the pictures on the Kickstart page (if possible)...
The ***picture of the game on an iPhone*** on the Kickstarter page is so dark and small as to be practically impossible to make out. What am I looking at there? A couple of lights? Some blocks on the sides of a tunnel that I can barely see? If that's how the game looks, you may want to implement an in-game gamma or brightness control.

The picture at the top of the page is clearer, but is that a real picture of the scene on an iPhone or is it a mock-up like the "representative" pictures they show of TV's and monitors they want to sell, where they inserted the scene onto a picture of a TV or monitor that is turned off. Unlike the picture further down the page, you can't tell if that's how the game actually displays on an iPhone.

+_+_+_+_+_+

Anyway, I think the inclusion of a mobile port may actually hurt the Kickstarter for the game. This is from someone who used to buy adventure and hidden object games on iTunes, but learned from experience and switched to buying only solitaire/mahjongg/bejewelled types of games that were easy to see and could be picked up and continued at any time. I'm not even talking about the gutted versions here. Even the 3rd person and made-for-mobile 1st person games that aren't stripped down are harder to use on mobile because you forget where you are in the game with short play sessions.

Also if you intend to do a faithful port of the original game without removing the puzzles, say so in the Kickstarter. Words like "Enhanced" don't mean much beyond graphics and lighting.
What about the "game" part of the original game?
The puzzles?
The interactive parts?
That's the part I care about the most.
I don't want an "Anumanized" version.

Re: The Riddle of the Sphinx Announcement - Kickstarter is Live! - 11/05/17 06:15 AM

Well said Jenny thumbsup

This it what I have to question: I have never heard of a PC Adventure Game called a Windows Desktop App before

Quote:
Pledge $25 or more
Mobile & Desktop Adventure Pack

Unlock the Enhanced HD version of Riddle of the Sphinx HD for Mobile and Desktop.
Includes:

ROTS HD Desktop App (Mac/Win)
ROTS HD Mobile App
In-Game Hint Guide

Estimated delivery Sep 2018

Re: The Riddle of the Sphinx Announcement - Kickstarter is Live! - 11/05/17 07:52 PM

Maybe it works like the "96 Mill" game ??

Re: The Riddle of the Sphinx Announcement - Kickstarter is Live! - 12/07/17 01:28 AM

FYI:

Quote:
ROTS Awakening will be DRM-FREE!

We are VERY excited to announce that we will be releasing Riddle of the Sphinx: The Awakening desktop version DRM-Free! We plan on releasing the game on GOG and Steam.

What is DRM? DRM (Digital Rights Management) is a kind of protection for digital media that is supposed to prevent piracy and copyright infringement. The original release of ROTS was heavily pirated. However, more and more companies are choosing to forsake DRM in favor of better user experience. And as we have listened to you and discussed the pros and cons, we have decided to release ROTS Awakening DRM-Free for the best possible adventure experience.

Spread the Word!

We really need your help to increase the success of this Kickstarter with increased pledges and more backers, so please spread the word.
Thank you all!

Jeff, Karen, Charlie, and Marta
ROTS Awakening Team

Re: The Riddle of the Sphinx Announcement - Kickstarter is Live! - 12/07/17 01:31 AM

Very good news, Ana. wave

Re: The Riddle of the Sphinx Announcement - Kickstarter is Live! - 12/07/17 08:56 PM

Upped my pledge to help get a DRM Free version developed. Yeah !! happydance
© 2024 GameBoomers Community