GB HOMEPAGE

Kathy Rain Sequel?

Posted By: 8dognight

Kathy Rain Sequel? - 10/08/18 01:43 PM

Any rumors or word of a "Kathy Rain" sequel?

I saw that the developer, as of a while ago, was working on a game called "Whispers of a Machine" with another developer. "Whispers of a Machine" seems to be science fiction, a detective hunting an AI called the Singularity that may or may not be a hidden deity in a post-apocalyptic dystopia.

That's all I saw.
Posted By: Marian

Re: Kathy Rain Sequel? - 10/08/18 02:18 PM

I haven't read anything about a sequel. As you stated, the developer is working on Whispers of a Machine. He is working on Whispers of a Machine with the developer of The Samaritan Paradox.
Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

Re: Kathy Rain Sequel? - 10/08/18 02:34 PM

Here is a quote from an interview in March which can found here in its entirety.

Quote:
“I'd like to do a KR sequel after our current project, Whispers of a Machine (which, true to our roots, also features a strong female protagonist),” admits Joel. “But we'll see how things go. A prequel featuring Kathy herself is unlikely, but we may explore that format for other characters, dead or alive at some point – likely in the form of a shorter flashback episode as part of a larger game.”

Ana wave
Posted By: Marian

Re: Kathy Rain Sequel? - 10/08/18 03:10 PM

That's good to know, Ana. Maybe eventually there will be another Kathy Rain game.

Re: Kathy Rain Sequel? - 10/09/18 05:13 PM

Thanks. I'm playing Emerald City Confidential for the first time, also Neofeud which is a fully realized world bursting with tantalizing bits from the author/developer/animator one man band's imagination though the interface is persnickety. I'm hesitant to go too far with Neofeud because, hey, it's not the kind of game that offers any prospect of a happy ending. I get that, so I'm trying to just play enough to enjoy Silver Spook's vision a bit more but not so long I fall victim to the oligarchy.

I'll revisit Samaritan Paradox, too, because I like the concept. I didn't take to the fantasy world sections. Maybe they will be more appealing on reacquaintance.
Posted By: oldbroad

Re: Kathy Rain Sequel? - 10/09/18 06:24 PM

I enjoyed Emerald City Confidential but I had trouble getting into The Samaritan Paradox. I played it but don't know if I liked it too much, but I can't remember why. One to replay someday I guess. Still need to get to Neofeud. Will you really just not finish the game? Is the game different than you thought it would be? I guess I'm curious why you bought it if it is not quite your type of game (it sounds like anyway). I can't see myself starting a game and then purposely not finishing it. It has happened but only when computers pooped out on me.
Posted By: Mad

Re: Kathy Rain Sequel? - 10/09/18 06:37 PM

I've played Emerald City Confidential and The Samaritan Paradox and enjoyed both smile

But I won't be getting Neofeud. That one doesn't appeal to me at all ....

Re: Kathy Rain Sequel? - 10/09/18 06:53 PM

Originally Posted By: oldbroad
I guess I'm curious why you bought it if it is not quite your type of game (it sounds like anyway). I can't see myself starting a game and then purposely not finishing it. It has happened but only when computers pooped out on me.

In general, I often don't finish games, sometimes because I know I will replay and don't want to know the ending but most often because the game fails to hold my interest. I don't usually buy one knowing ahead of time I won't want to complete it. This time I did so because the reviewers I read were in agreement that, though flawed, Neofeud has some top notch voice acting and creative world building. They're right. Silver Spook has plenty to say. In addition, I like supporting indie games.
Posted By: oldbroad

Re: Kathy Rain Sequel? - 10/09/18 07:16 PM

Thanks for the response 8dognight. Your reason for not finishing games is interesting (for the replay value). Liking the game though would make me want to know the ending.

I guess that even the games I don't like as much, I still like enough to finish, maybe using a walkthrough though just to get it done. That's probably just as weird to you as not finishing a game I started is to me.

I'm not sure Neofeud is my type of game but I think it looks intriguing and caught my interest, and also wanted to give my support. It's in my library and I'll play it one day.

I do have a number of games actually that I don't know if they're my type of game. I do find though that subjects that might not interest me in movies, books, or real life, often do interest me in games. It all depends on how the game plays out. For me, story/subject is secondary to game play I guess.

Please don't take me using the word weird in a wrong way. I don't know how else to express myself.
Posted By: GuybrushThreepwood

Re: Kathy Rain Sequel? - 10/09/18 08:55 PM

Not finish a game? It would drive me crazy not knowing how it ends.

Re: Kathy Rain Sequel? - 10/11/18 04:54 PM

Oldbroad said: "I guess that even the games I don't like as much, I still like enough to finish, maybe using a walkthrough though just to get it done. That's probably just as weird to you as not finishing a game I started is to me."

It's not weird to me at all. I admire your steadfastness.
© 2024 GameBoomers Community