GB HOMEPAGE

Game which reminded me of Tex Murphy

Posted By: Laurette

Game which reminded me of Tex Murphy - 11/25/16 07:34 PM

Update:

Many, many months ago, I posted that I had beta tested a game on BF that reminded me of Tex Murphy. Well, BF has still not released the game. However, on a w/t the person mentioned the game's name. I checked up on it and found it on Steam! I'm not a big fan of Steam, but what the heck.

The game's name is Adam Wolfe. There are four episodes and it is on sale at Steam for $11.99 until the end of the month.

Disclaimer: Just because I found it similar to Tex Murphy, doesn't mean all will agree with me.

Happy gaming!
Posted By: Marian

Re: Game which reminded me of Tex Murphy - 11/25/16 07:48 PM

Thank you for the heads up, Laurette. I do believe that Big Fish will be releasing this game, but I don't know when. It sounds like one I would like. wave

You can find the game on Steam here. The developer is Mad Head.

Re: Game which reminded me of Tex Murphy - 11/25/16 08:11 PM

Marian: I did buy and download the game. Haven't played it yet though.

Re: Game which reminded me of Tex Murphy - 11/25/16 08:26 PM

Yes, I thought that you had gone ahead and bought the game - I was just providing the link for interested players. wave

I hope you enjoy it. smile

Re: Game which reminded me of Tex Murphy - 11/27/16 10:27 PM

I just started playing this game, and it's more fun than I remember. A definite 5 star game.

Re: Game which reminded me of Tex Murphy - 11/27/16 10:57 PM

I definitely will want to play it. happydance

Re: Game which reminded me of Tex Murphy - 11/27/16 11:46 PM

It's one of those games (a rare thing), where you can't stop playing. Food - who needs it; sleep - who needs it!

Can't understand why BF didn't pick this one up. It has a guide, hints and a map! Very few HOS, and they are very different.

Re: Game which reminded me of Tex Murphy - 11/27/16 11:52 PM

I think that Mad Head decided to make it a Steam release first, and I believe that the Big Fish release will come later. That's my guess, anyway. wave
Posted By: Mad

Re: Game which reminded me of Tex Murphy - 11/28/16 01:25 AM

Originally Posted By: Marian
I definitely will want to play it. happydance

I think I will too !! happydance
Posted By: GuybrushThreepwood

Re: Game which reminded me of Tex Murphy - 11/28/16 03:27 PM

Big Fish
Tomorrow’s Game Today!®
Adam Wolfe: Flames of Time
Posted By: 8dognight

Re: Game which reminded me of Tex Murphy - 12/05/16 07:09 PM

I've played through the first episode. While Adam Wolfe could use a healthy dose of Tex's humor, this is an unusually absorbing casual game. In fact, if the standalone puzzles had a tad more intellectual bite--for example, the one to open the panel containing scroll and plumb bob is way too easy--and hence were more immersive, Adam Wolfe wouldn't be a casual game at all. Even the rune lobbing--a technique I dislike and which has caused me to abandon many a game--was endurable. Lord knows, we've seen the basic plot of Adam Wolfe 9 times out of 10 in casual games, so I'm asking myself what sets Adam Wolfe apart.

First off, the basic save kidnapped family member from natural or supernatural evil plot is here used to frame an anthology loosely linked by the story arc. Second, sound and the actor voicing Adam are superior. Third, the story does not reward stereotyped expectations. If it had, I would not be going to back to start episode 2, something I am about to do.

Forgot to say: Thanks, Laurette. Well, finally. I had about given up.

Re: Game which reminded me of Tex Murphy - 12/05/16 07:22 PM

Nice to hear that this one stands out from the pack, 8dognight. I've been way too busy for gaming lately, but this one is going to be high on my list. happydance12

Re: Game which reminded me of Tex Murphy - 12/05/16 09:08 PM

I think its more like Gabriel Knight than Tex Murphy.

Re: Game which reminded me of Tex Murphy - 12/05/16 09:44 PM

Based on the part of the demo I played, I agree, Guybrush. I also read that someone asked the developers about it, who replied that Gabriel Knight was an influence. wave12
Posted By: 8dognight

Re: Game which reminded me of Tex Murphy - 12/05/16 10:28 PM

I finished Episode Two. I noticed a fourth good quality: The artwork for human and humanoid/demon figures is sometimes extraordinary. Fifth: There is more humor in this episode, in particular in the commentary on an HO screen wherein the minor character voice acting is a treat.

Downside: Movement is constrained--even by point and click standards--but thus far I am forgiving that because there is a skip button for the carpal tunnel inducing puzzles.

Re: Game which reminded me of Tex Murphy - 12/06/16 12:55 AM

We appreciate all of this info about the game. thumbsup12
Posted By: Reenie

Re: Game which reminded me of Tex Murphy - 12/07/16 03:36 AM

Yes, saw it at BF. It is only a Standard game, not an extended CE. Is this because it is being released in "Chapters," and you have to buy each one? That could add up.

Re: Game which reminded me of Tex Murphy - 12/07/16 03:39 AM

It's my understanding that the second part will include the last two installments, so it will come to Big Fish in two parts. If you can use free coupon codes on them, it's pretty much a steal. Or, if you wait for a sale on standard editions, you could probably end up buying both parts for about seven dollars total. wave12

Re: Game which reminded me of Tex Murphy - 12/07/16 03:59 AM

I finished the first two chapters. Now waiting for BF to release last two.
Posted By: Mad

Re: Game which reminded me of Tex Murphy - 12/07/16 11:56 AM

Originally Posted By: Marian
It's my understanding that the second part will include the last two installments, so it will come to Big Fish in two parts. If you can use free coupon codes on them, it's pretty much a steal. Or, if you wait for a sale on standard editions, you could probably end up buying both parts for about seven dollars total. wave12

Great !! Thanks, Marian !! I am ready and waiting !! yay12 yay12 yay12

Re: Game which reminded me of Tex Murphy - 12/07/16 04:06 PM

And today is a buy-one-get-one free for standard games. So, after the second installment comes out, if you wait for a sale like today you can pick up both for $6.99. santadance
Posted By: Reenie

Re: Game which reminded me of Tex Murphy - 12/07/16 09:31 PM

That sounds better. I played the Demo yesterday and found it quite good, and I agree, a big step above the typical "casual" game.
Posted By: lexxy

Re: Game which reminded me of Tex Murphy - 12/17/16 01:37 AM

i just downloaded Adam Wolf from Steam. They have it priced at a per episode price of $5.99 or all four episodes for $15.99. Is the BF game Adm Wolf Flames Of Time the same as the one at Steam?

Re: Game which reminded me of Tex Murphy - 12/17/16 03:18 AM

The Big Fish version on offer right now contains the first two episodes of the game; the third and fourth chapters of the game will be released by Big Fish in the future (probably pretty soon). wave12
© 2024 GameBoomers Community