GB HOMEPAGE

Mystery Case Files: The Black Veil Collector's Edition - New HOPA on Big Fish

Posted By: Marian

Mystery Case Files: The Black Veil Collector's Edition - New HOPA on Big Fish - 03/23/17 01:46 PM

Today's game for Club Members, tomorrow's game for all.

You can download Mystery Case Files: The Black Veil Collector's Edition here.

Quote:
Big Fish Editor's Choice! This title was selected for its exceptional quality and overwhelmingly positive reviews from our Game Club beta testers.

Eipix Entertainment proudly presents the newest addition to the classic Mystery Case Files series!

The town of Dreadmond has been almost abandoned overnight. When you arrive to investigate, you find a strange illness taking over the remaining residents – an illness that makes them age in an instant! Time’s not on your side. Can you uncover the cause, or will you be the next victim? Find out in this sensational hidden-object puzzle adventure!

See what our Beta testers had to say:

“I absolutely adored this game. The storyline had me hooked, the puzzles were fun & it was lovely to look at. Please release it tomorrow!!!” - Simone, beta tester

“Simply brilliant. Every time I think we have seen the best of MCF, a new chapter is added. Both the intro and the test-game seems to promise us an exciting and interesting new chapter in the MCF story. And as always the graphics, HOP's and puzzle's are superior..” - Henry, beta tester

Play as a young Richard Galloway and explore Paris in the bonus game!
Collect puzzle pieces and morphing objects throughout the game.
Earn achievements and even find special trophies in the Souvenir Room!
Replay your favorite mini-games and hidden-object puzzles!
Enjoy exclusive wallpapers, soundtracks, and concept art!

As always, please remember to come back and tell us what you think.

Happy gaming! sherlock
Posted By: MaG

Re: Mystery Case Files: The Black Veil Collector's Edition - New HOPA on Big Fish - 03/23/17 01:50 PM

Thanks Marian! wave
Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

Re: Mystery Case Files: The Black Veil Collector's Edition - New HOPA on Big Fish - 03/23/17 02:55 PM

Woohoo! Great news! Thanks, Marian!

Ana wave
Posted By: GBC

Re: Mystery Case Files: The Black Veil Collector's Edition - New HOPA on Big Fish - 03/23/17 03:58 PM

Yay! Another Mystery Case Files. joy2

Re: Mystery Case Files: The Black Veil Collector's Edition - New HOPA on Big Fish - 03/23/17 03:59 PM

I hope you enjoy it, Gail. smile
Posted By: Starcom

Re: Mystery Case Files: The Black Veil Collector's Edition - New HOPA on Big Fish - 03/23/17 11:55 PM

Thanks for the update Marian, bought this game right away and took advantage of buying additional CE games for
$5.10 Cdn. a good deal in my books.

Re: Mystery Case Files: The Black Veil Collector's Edition - New HOPA on Big Fish - 03/24/17 12:43 AM

Originally Posted By: Starcom
Thanks for the update Marian, bought this game right away and took advantage of buying additional CE games for
$5.10 Cdn. a good deal in my books.

That's great to hear. Have fun! happydance
Posted By: TLC

Re: Mystery Case Files: The Black Veil Collector's Edition - New HOPA on Big Fish - 03/24/17 03:31 PM

I bought this game but I have 2 more installed to play first. joy wavegirl

Re: Mystery Case Files: The Black Veil Collector's Edition - New HOPA on Big Fish - 03/24/17 03:33 PM

Let us know what you think after you have played it - and I hope you enjoy the other games, too. smile

Re: Mystery Case Files: The Black Veil Collector's Edition - New HOPA on Big Fish - 03/25/17 04:36 PM

Anyone playing? Thoughts?

Re: Mystery Case Files: The Black Veil Collector's Edition - New HOPA on Big Fish - 03/25/17 05:26 PM

I would be interested in hearing some opinions on the game, too. wave

Re: Mystery Case Files: The Black Veil Collector's Edition - New HOPA on Big Fish - 03/25/17 06:46 PM

It will be my next game on the list to play, still playing: The Legacy - Forgotten Gates CE and what a great game this one is, Lots to do, great graphics, decent puzzles, a pretty good story, not to violent for people who prefer non violent games,....

Re: Mystery Case Files: The Black Veil Collector's Edition - New HOPA on Big Fish - 03/25/17 07:07 PM

I really like 5-BN games. yes

Re: Mystery Case Files: The Black Veil Collector's Edition - New HOPA on Big Fish - 03/25/17 10:16 PM

Well I just started this game and as I was watching the opening scene I said, "Hey this looks familiar" and after another DOH Moment I realized I tested the survey, and Loved it and could not wait for it to come out, now I must put the game aside for super but I cannot hardly wait to play it.... more later....

Re: Mystery Case Files: The Black Veil Collector's Edition - New HOPA on Big Fish - 03/25/17 11:48 PM

We will be waiting. smile

Re: Mystery Case Files: The Black Veil Collector's Edition - New HOPA on Big Fish - 03/30/17 10:12 PM

I finished it yesterday. I don't know why but it didn't seem/feel like the usual MCF games. I enjoyed all of the other ones much more than this one. duh wavegirl

Re: Mystery Case Files: The Black Veil Collector's Edition - New HOPA on Big Fish - 03/30/17 10:13 PM

I'm sorry you didn't like it all that much, but your honest opinion is appreciated. wave

Re: Mystery Case Files: The Black Veil Collector's Edition - New HOPA on Big Fish - 03/30/17 10:17 PM

Thanks Marian. wavegirl I hope other's who bought it, enjoy it. rah

Re: Mystery Case Files: The Black Veil Collector's Edition - New HOPA on Big Fish - 03/31/17 12:56 AM

I am more than halfway through and I really enjoy this game so far, like TLC mentioned it is not like the other MFC games but sometimes, sometimes a change is good/refreshing and in this case it worked for me and hopefully others will like the change and as Marian and other users have mentioned in the past: "Try the demo and see what you think before buying".
For me, I enjoyed the Artwork, puzzles, some HO screens are different and the story line is pretty good, I am taking my time playing this game since I am enjoying it and want it to last.

Re: Mystery Case Files: The Black Veil Collector's Edition - New HOPA on Big Fish - 03/31/17 01:02 AM

And thank you for your comments on the game, Starcom. Absolutely, everyone should always try the demo first. I'm happy to hear that you are enjoying the game. thumbsup
Posted By: Reenie

Re: Mystery Case Files: The Black Veil Collector's Edition - New HOPA on Big Fish - 04/02/17 12:07 AM

Coincidentally, I tried this one recently, and bought it with the Coupon today. It is quite intriguing, wonderful mini-games, and will NOT be rated "Too Easy" by moi, once I've finished it. ha ha I'm LOVING it.

Re: Mystery Case Files: The Black Veil Collector's Edition - New HOPA on Big Fish - 04/02/17 01:38 AM

Yippee, Reenie! happydance grin

Re: Mystery Case Files: The Black Veil Collector's Edition - New HOPA on Big Fish - 04/02/17 02:06 AM

I just started it yesterday but haven't gotten very far. So far so good.

Re: Mystery Case Files: The Black Veil Collector's Edition - New HOPA on Big Fish - 04/06/17 07:58 PM

I just finished this one. I agree with some who say it is "different," since I have played a full dozen in the MCF franchise. On the other hand, it is not a cheery game, and a few scenes pushed too far into my "Creepy Zone" tolerance. ha ha But after Dire Grove and the Ravenhurst and Madame Fate stories, what else should one expect from MCF? wink

As is usual these days, you can dial in exactly the difficulty level you want. PLUS, this game is the first I played that offered the option to turn off the darned Achievement Pop-Ups! Hurrah! happydance They are listening to us! Thank you, MCF.

The game had all the usual attributes of an MCF game: Morphing stuff, an iconic symbol in each scene to find, "Statues" to watch for and collect. You can ignore these at will, of course, if they aren't your cuppa. There were plenty of pesky mini-games that were multiple-level and sometimes a bit hard to understand (one I never got the point of but I stumbled into the solution). These I have come to rely on with MCF games; the harder the better. All of the mini-games are available to replay as many times as you like once you finish the game.

As is their style, the game is "dark" and brooding, a threat hangs over almost every scene. Sometimes, you are faced with something you HAVE to accept, even though you'd rather back out of the scene and think about it. ha ha Well, you asked for it! At the very end, I have no idea what happened. I had two options, and could only click and watch my character act. I want to assume I made the moral choice, but again, no way to choose or to know.

Big thumbs up from me on this one. If you don't mind creepy, that is.

Re: Mystery Case Files: The Black Veil Collector's Edition - New HOPA on Big Fish - 04/06/17 08:01 PM

Yes, some recent games have an option to turn off achievement notifications - I am so glad that you found one. yes

I will definitely put this game on my play list, Reenie. And I do like creepy. wave

Re: Mystery Case Files: The Black Veil Collector's Edition - New HOPA on Big Fish - 04/06/17 10:12 PM

I finished a couple days ago and it didn't feel like an MCF to me at all. It was a quality game, but the puzzles were way too easy. I was looking forward to the usual puzzles that really make me think.

Re: Mystery Case Files: The Black Veil Collector's Edition - New HOPA on Big Fish - 04/06/17 10:57 PM

And thanks for weighing in on the game, Ana. I suspect you are better at puzzles than I am, so maybe I could actually do these without hitting the skip button. laugh

Re: Mystery Case Files: The Black Veil Collector's Edition - New HOPA on Big Fish - 04/06/17 11:45 PM

Most of them are seriously dumbed down and over in a second. I kept thinking there was another layer to them when one step was completed only to discover that rotating something twice was the end. :(

Re: Mystery Case Files: The Black Veil Collector's Edition - New HOPA on Big Fish - 04/07/17 12:18 AM

Ohhh!! BrownEyedTiger re: Most of them are seriously dumbed down

Between you and Draclvr re: she feels like a Dumbo, maybe I don't belong here since I am one in the BUMBEST section, could you suggest a Forum where there are people of my Kind who are in the Bumbest crazy category since I felt the puzzles where not so bad.

Re: Mystery Case Files: The Black Veil Collector's Edition - New HOPA on Big Fish - 04/07/17 02:02 AM

Did you set the Difficulty on HIGH? I suspect it would be dead easy if you played on less challenging levels.

Re: Mystery Case Files: The Black Veil Collector's Edition - New HOPA on Big Fish - 04/07/17 03:15 AM

Reenie, the puzzles are the same no matter your setting.

Starcom, lol I am sure you are not a dumbo by any means! There were a few puzzles that took some thought, but a lot of them seem to have been cut short with things to do in them. I expected more from an MCF, they usually stump me for awhile, which I enjoy.

Re: Mystery Case Files: The Black Veil Collector's Edition - New HOPA on Big Fish - 04/07/17 04:48 AM

Well, that is weird. I never realized it was the same puzzles no matter what difficulty you chose. So what is the point in having varying difficulty settings, I wonder?

Re: Mystery Case Files: The Black Veil Collector's Edition - New HOPA on Big Fish - 04/07/17 05:15 AM

Reenie, although they are the same puzzle, sometimes they have more steps, pieces, etc. I believe that's the way it works, anyway.

Re: Mystery Case Files: The Black Veil Collector's Edition - New HOPA on Big Fish - 04/07/17 01:39 PM

No, the puzzles are identical regardless. Look at the walkthroughs and you will see only one solution. If they were different they would have to include multiple versions. As someone who writes the walkthroughs for BigFish, I can assure that is fact.

Also, it lists what the various differences are when you choose the difficulties. Nothing speaks of the puzzles being different.

For instance the Insane hardest level states Hints and Skips recharge slowly, selection penalty in HOPS, No glints or sparkles, Map shows no areas of interest, No helpful messages, Plus-item indicators are not visible. THat is all it does.

Re: Mystery Case Files: The Black Veil Collector's Edition - New HOPA on Big Fish - 04/07/17 02:32 PM

I can see that you are absolutely right, Ana; what you said makes total sense. I must have been suffering from tired brain when I posted what I did, because of course the walkthrough writer would have to include more than one puzzle solution if hard mode altered the puzzle. I think I need more sleep. lol

Re: Mystery Case Files: The Black Veil Collector's Edition - New HOPA on Big Fish - 04/07/17 03:53 PM

lol I recall only one game in the last 7 years of writing the walkthroughs that had puzzle difficulty setting on a select few of the puzzles in the game. I am sure there may be a few others that have that option. I think one of the Drawn games did, but not positive.

Re: Mystery Case Files: The Black Veil Collector's Edition - New HOPA on Big Fish - 04/07/17 06:27 PM

So, I'm curious to know what difference the "Difficulty Setting" makes, if not with regard to the mini-games, and why it is an option to choose Easy or Difficult if it makes no difference? Is this just nonsense, to make us think we have choices?

Re: Mystery Case Files: The Black Veil Collector's Edition - New HOPA on Big Fish - 04/07/17 07:01 PM

For the exact things I stated. You don't see little glints where an item may be hiding, you can't look at the map and see where there is something highlighted to do etc. That's all you get. For those that don't want to see little glimmers around, it helps a lot to be able to turn it off. The game itself is not harder though in terms of what to do. They are all the same.

Re: Mystery Case Files: The Black Veil Collector's Edition - New HOPA on Big Fish - 04/07/17 07:42 PM

I don't play these games in hard mode, but having no option to skip a puzzle would sometimes give me trouble, I feel sure.

Re: Mystery Case Files: The Black Veil Collector's Edition - New HOPA on Big Fish - 04/07/17 07:49 PM

In some cases, that is correct Marian. Most have a "select your own" options so you can just leave that on though. In this case, the skip button takes longer to generate but is not eliminated.

Re: Mystery Case Files: The Black Veil Collector's Edition - New HOPA on Big Fish - 04/07/17 07:53 PM

Yes, I've never played in custom mode. For some reason I usually choose the advanced mode.

I know one thing for sure - if I try to play the entire game with no help, they are usually a great value in terms of hours of play. smile

Re: Mystery Case Files: The Black Veil Collector's Edition - New HOPA on Big Fish - 04/07/17 08:05 PM

I usually take the Custom route, because it allows you to turn off most of the stuff but leave it set so the Map can tell you where you've missed something. I can find out what/where it is without having to shag my butt all over the entire "world" again. That wandering part about gaming has never held much appeal to me. But everything else gets turned off, so I suppose it is "Advanced+." ha ha
© 2024 GameBoomers Community