GB HOMEPAGE

The Phantasmat Games

Posted By: Mad

The Phantasmat Games - 03/22/18 06:14 PM

I have all (I think) the Phantasmat games but never played any - so I fired Up "The Dread of Oakville" today and am finding it pretty good grin

I suppose I should have started with the first in the series. Will it matter ??
Posted By: Marian

Re: The Phantasmat Games - 03/22/18 06:21 PM

Assuming I am remembering correctly, it doesn't matter what order you play them in. I believe they are all self-contained.

And the very first Phantasmat game, even though there are more hidden object scenes than HOPAs released now, is awfully good.

Re: The Phantasmat Games - 03/22/18 07:40 PM

Oh, thanks for that good news, Marian. I'll look forward to playing the first one then thumbsup
Posted By: Reenie

Re: The Phantasmat Games - 03/23/18 05:45 AM

I have tried ten of them over the years, and played eight. Some were excellent and others were too simple, too much HO, or even boring. It is as though they had different design teams working on them. I never buy one now without playing the Demo first, to see what sort of quality the game has.

Re: The Phantasmat Games - 03/23/18 05:13 PM

I've never bothered with Demos, Reenie. I don't have the time or inclination laugh

I do sometimes glance through the reviews at Big Fish - but mainly, if I like the look/sound of a game, I risk it !! lol

And not come too badly unstuck as yet. Just the occasional flop wink

Re: The Phantasmat Games - 03/23/18 05:53 PM

I have also found that the demo is not necessarily a reflection of the entire game in terms of interest, puzzles, etc. I tend to not bother with demos either and so far haven't been too disappointed. I realize I am taking a small risk in terms of whether or not the game will run, but I feel that it's a reasonable risk to take. And for me it is a little too time-consuming to always play the demo first.

Re: The Phantasmat Games - 03/23/18 06:07 PM

Hey, different strokes! happydance

You can get a really good idea of the "tone" of of a game from the one-hour Demo. I seldom have been surprised by a large variation in tone and playing style between the Trial Game and the whole shebang, and I do have time on my hands, being retired. heh heh

Mainly, I steer away from games that are TOO heavy in HO scenes. That isn't the fun part for me. Also, I can't play games with too much ugliness, fighting or torture stuff, as it is too stressful, and have had to bail out of a game for that reason, so "Lesson Learned" there: try it first.

If I buy a game, I don't usually begin playing it immediately because I have other things on my activities list. So I also start over again under a new Player Name.
Posted By: oldbroad

Re: The Phantasmat Games - 03/23/18 07:51 PM

I've never tried a demo. I just buy.

Re: The Phantasmat Games - 03/24/18 09:27 PM

Finished the Phantasmat "Dread of Oakville" game and am now playing the first one of the series yes

It's lookin' GOOD !! joy2

Re: The Phantasmat Games - 03/24/18 11:17 PM

Great! joy
Posted By: GuybrushThreepwood

Re: The Phantasmat Games - 03/25/18 07:53 PM

Most of the games I've played can be played in any order. I still try to play them in the order they were released though. I don't always succeed. I sometimes discover I missed one. And have to play it out of sequence. But since they're not a serial it doesn't matter.

Re: The Phantasmat Games - 03/26/18 01:42 AM

Thank you, GuybrushThreepwood thumbsup

Re: The Phantasmat Games - 03/28/18 10:35 PM

Something strange happened tonight when I launched Phantasmat to carry on with my playing of it.

I was taken to a place much earlier in the game than my last save (at the very least THREE saves prior to my last one) and so had to replay LOTS to get back to where I left the game last night !!

Am certainly hoping that doesn't happen again eek

Re: The Phantasmat Games - 03/28/18 10:41 PM

Yikes. That has never happened to me in a casual game.
Posted By: oldbroad

Re: The Phantasmat Games - 03/28/18 11:25 PM

That's not good! How strange. Is your computer clock and date right?

Re: The Phantasmat Games - 03/29/18 12:19 AM

That is weird, Mad. duh

Re: The Phantasmat Games - 03/29/18 02:58 AM

I hadn't thought about the computer "time/date", oldbroad, but it IS correct.

All truly peculiar !! woozy

Re: The Phantasmat Games - 03/29/18 03:02 AM

It sounds like some strange glitch that, fortunately, is a rare occurrence!

Re: The Phantasmat Games - 03/29/18 06:34 AM

And I'm hoping it STAYS rare lol

Re: The Phantasmat Games - 04/02/18 04:00 AM

Finished Phantasmat earlier but am quite perplexed ....

I "remembered" some parts of this game although I thought I hadn't previously played it woozy

It's not listed in my "Game Collection", it's not sitting on any of my shelves and it's not showing in the libraries of any Download sites I use.

So can anyone think how I could possibly have previously played it help

Re: The Phantasmat Games - 04/06/18 11:21 PM

I can't think of a way you could have played it before, Mad - unless it was available on a CD that you had at some point?
© 2024 GameBoomers Community