GB HOMEPAGE

New Sony Patent Blocks Second Hand Games

Posted By: mcc

New Sony Patent Blocks Second Hand Games - 01/03/13 10:35 PM

It brings many questions, HERE you can find more information.
Posted By: looney4labs

Re: New Sony Patent Blocks Second Hand Games - 01/03/13 10:50 PM

Thanks Mcc....I've heard rumblings about that and if true, would preclude me from using any Sony products. puppy
Posted By: Draclvr

Re: New Sony Patent Blocks Second Hand Games - 01/03/13 11:07 PM

I've heard about it too... I don't use consoles, but it would definitely put me off of all Sony products.
Posted By: Creeping_Doom

Re: New Sony Patent Blocks Second Hand Games - 01/04/13 01:01 AM

Sony is in the anti piracy business as it is , via SecuRom , which is one of their subsidiaries .
Posted By: Jenny100

Re: New Sony Patent Blocks Second Hand Games - 01/04/13 01:09 AM

Quote:
When a disc is first used, the disc ID and player ID will be stored on the tag. Every time the disc is used in future, the tag will check if the two ID’s match up and, if not, then the disc won’t work.

So if your PS3 kicks the bucket, you can't just buy another PS3 and have your PS3 games work. They'll all be useless.

Re: New Sony Patent Blocks Second Hand Games - 01/04/13 01:18 AM

That seems so totally stupid. They will have to address that somehow.
Posted By: Karsten

Re: New Sony Patent Blocks Second Hand Games - 01/04/13 08:19 PM

I think this would illegal in the EU - after the EU courts decision last year in June, or July, to allow second hand software programmes to be sold - after the programmes had be uninstalled of course.

And as as the link provided in the first post asks: what about rental stores like Blockbuster or gamesites which lets you download demos of games like The Adventure Company or gamesites like Gamefly where people buy digital versions of games...

Re: New Sony Patent Blocks Second Hand Games - 01/04/13 08:48 PM

We have a Wii in 3 different rooms in our house. With that system, I couldn't play my disk where I chose to. I have to believe that Sony is smarter than that.
Posted By: mcc

Re: New Sony Patent Blocks Second Hand Games - 01/04/13 11:22 PM

I have two PS 3s, same problem as L4L. Also one of the advantages of consoles over PCs is the fact that one can buy pre-owed games and trade them in later, this measure would make some people included myself to go back to buy games for PC, they cannot be traded but at least can be given to somebody for most games.
Posted By: Creeping_Doom

Re: New Sony Patent Blocks Second Hand Games - 01/05/13 03:11 PM

Originally Posted By: mcc
I have two PS 3s, same problem as L4L. Also one of the advantages of consoles over PCs is the fact that one can buy pre-owed games and trade them in later, this measure would make some people included myself to go back to buy games for PC, they cannot be traded but at least can be given to somebody for most games.

For the largest part , PC games can indeed be traded or purchased second hand , unless the game in question is tied to a service such as Steam , Origin , or Games For Windows Live . Some places such as Gamestop have basically stopped retail of PC games , so getting PC games second hand is largely left up to trading over the internet , or second hand stores .

Re: New Sony Patent Blocks Second Hand Games - 01/05/13 10:30 PM

Yep Creeping, I think that is why lots of our members still play on PC. wave12
© 2024 GameBoomers Community