GB HOMEPAGE

Stuck in Half Life 2

Posted By: hagatha

Stuck in Half Life 2 - 09/10/13 02:39 AM

I'm in the canal area, and I've just come to a place where I have to somehow get over or through a fence in some water filled tunnels. I have turned a red valve, and the water level rose, but that does me no good; I can't reach any place now that I couldn't get to before by jumping.

The walkthrough implies that once the water level rises I will be able to get past the fence, but there is no way to do that; it goes all the way to the ceiling. The risen water does not allow me to swim anywhere new, not in this room or the previous room -- the water level rose there, too, but again, big whoop, I can't get anywhere new. There is a red tunnel that I can't swim to because that is where the water poured in -- I can't swim against the current.

Any ideas?
Posted By: looney4labs

Re: Stuck in Half Life 2 - 09/10/13 04:33 AM

Hagatha, did you try looking at a video to see if there is some small thing that you have not done?

Re: Stuck in Half Life 2 - 09/10/13 05:20 AM

Ach, in the end I realized that I was getting stuck on the ladder and once I unstuck myself was able to easily swim through the pipe to the other side.

'Course, now I'm stuck again, but this game is amazing fun.
Posted By: Draclvr

Re: Stuck in Half Life 2 - 09/10/13 05:48 AM

Loved both the Half Life games too...

Re: Stuck in Half Life 2 - 09/10/13 04:29 PM

Hagatha, so very glad you got going again bravo luck

Re: Stuck in Half Life 2 - 09/10/13 09:08 PM

Yes, this is a great game. I should see if I can get the original Half Life on Steam.

EDIT: Well, duh, of COURSE they have it on Steam.

Re: Stuck in Half Life 2 - 09/11/13 07:35 PM

Whee! Dune buggy. I think I missed a huge section because I couldn't make a jump, but got where I needed to go anyway. I might try the sequence again just to see.

Re: Stuck in Half Life 2 - 09/11/13 10:39 PM

Have fun! wave

Re: Stuck in Half Life 2 - 09/12/13 01:14 AM

I found the Sandtraps area to be a bit repetitive, but overall the game is really fine. The graphics were amazing for the time. I don't think I would have liked it so much back then, though. I've only started really liking pure shooters fairly recently.

The game reviews said this was good for 20 hours. That's really pushing it. I've played at least that many and I'm only half way through.

Next is Half Life the first and then back to Amnesia. I have PROMISED myself that I will not play any more of my old favourites until I've played at least ten new games (new to me, that is). No more BG2, no more Thief, no more Gothic, no more Deus Ex.

Re: Stuck in Half Life 2 - 09/12/13 03:50 AM

So does that mean we should hold your feet to the fire on that?

Re: Stuck in Half Life 2 - 09/12/13 03:57 AM

Yep. I have literally dozens of games I bought years ago, still in their boxes, and now there's all the games I bought on GOG and the ones I bought on Steam. Of course, some of those won't run on this machine and are waiting for me to upgrade, but that still leaves dozens of games.

Truth be told, I am actually at the point where the only thing I really enjoy about BG2 is the character creation, and I long ago stopped playing the TOB expansion because it really isn't all that much fun compared to the actual game (other than the Keep). I might try a solo game, or a game with just one companion to add to the difficulty but otherwise I think that may it, finally. I'm thinking along the lines of a bard and Jan.

Re: Stuck in Half Life 2 - 09/17/13 01:49 AM

Hoo, boy, is this game getting intense. eek

I'm not exactly finessing it; more like just getting by. But still, what a great game. I think this one will deserve a second play through when I'm done, and then I have all of the expansions, too.

Re: Stuck in Half Life 2 - 09/17/13 04:23 PM

Hagatha, as long as you are having fun, you are doing great thumbsup
Posted By: Pokey

Re: Stuck in Half Life 2 - 09/17/13 04:45 PM

The area with the turrets near the end of the game gave me a hard time till I figured out a way to get by them. The episodes are great too.

Re: Stuck in Half Life 2 - 09/17/13 10:41 PM

I'm trying to find the rockets in the area where the Striders show up. What fun! Back to the fray...

Re: Stuck in Half Life 2 - 09/19/13 12:22 AM

Aw, shoot, the ending of my game is buggy and the game just won't end. I've watched a video and twice I've completed the last task exactly as required, but the final cut scene just doesn't happen and the mission shows as failed, with Green apparently rising from the ashes in a brand new glowy sphere to begin his end game dialogue all over again, only this time I have no energy balls to chuck at him.

And sad to say, not enjoying Episode One at all. Where's the free-wheeling spirit of the original game? This is just catching balls of light, one after the other, and throwing them. If I wanted to play basketball, I would. Boo, I say.

Re: Stuck in Half Life 2 - 09/19/13 04:11 AM

Awwww Hagatha, that is too bad. I'm sorry it is not working correctly.

Re: Stuck in Half Life 2 - 09/23/13 05:31 PM

Episode One picked up nicely once we left the Citadel, thankfully. I'm now in Episode Two, and enjoying it. After this I'll just have to load up HL1, though I'm sure the graphics will suffer in comparison. All in all, a great game, though.

Re: Stuck in Half Life 2 - 09/24/13 01:22 AM

Sounds like you are a certified fan thumbsup

Re: Stuck in Half Life 2 - 09/27/13 05:56 AM

Yep. Now, I was unable to complete Episode 2 because I couldn't be bothered with all the dang striders. I'll go back to it, though. Great game.

HL1 is not nearly as good, though still a decent game in its own right.

Re: Stuck in Half Life 2 - 09/28/13 12:48 AM

Not so keen on HL1; too much emphasis on tricky moves and not enough on good gameplay. I'm stuck in a jump sequence that I can't do, period, because of the awkward controls for a running jump, and am about to abort the game. Too bad.

Re: Stuck in Half Life 2 - 09/28/13 02:06 AM

Ahhh Hagatha, that is so frustrating! I wish I could lend you my son or hubby.....That is how I get through them.

Re: Stuck in Half Life 2 - 09/28/13 03:37 AM

I got past the spot only to find myself in another spot. I'll give it a rest and start a new game of HL2.

Re: Stuck in Half Life 2 - 09/28/13 09:35 PM

In Half Life still -- is there any way to skip ahead in this game? I have tried this one move about 100 times and I simply will never be able to do it.

God Mode won't help. I'm not dying; I just can't do this move.

Re: Stuck in Half Life 2 - 09/28/13 09:39 PM

Awww Hagatha, that is the worst. Not having played this, I'm not sure if the game is linear or if you can skip around in it. I know we have folks who have played it though. Where are you?

Re: Stuck in Half Life 2 - 09/28/13 11:18 PM

Hmm. I finally made it through though I have no idea how. I just kept randomly hitting the forward, crouch and jump keys and somehow managed to slide through two very difficult areas.

I'm limping through this game, hoping I will come upon some areas that don't rely on swift moves. My Tomb Raider days are long over!

Good thing I played Half Life 2 first. If I'd started with this one I might never have tried the second.

Re: Stuck in Half Life 2 - 09/29/13 01:44 AM

bravo and thumbsup Woot woot! happydance Way to go puppy
Posted By: Lex

Re: Stuck in Half Life 2 - 09/29/13 08:04 AM

Glad to see someone else getting some kicks out of the HalfLife games: I still think that the original was a fantastic game (with a great sense of humour)and way ahead of its time, but you have to remember that it was released over 10 years before HL2.

It is definitely worth persevering.

And have you played Portal yet? smile

Re: Stuck in Half Life 2 - 09/29/13 05:23 PM

I'll keep at it if only to see if there is a segment on Ravensholme ("We don't go there anymore.") The game is good. I'm just past the running/jumping/timed puzzle thing as I get older and my hands less dexterous.

I haven't downloaded Portal yet, but will definitely give it a go.

I have to say that HL2 is one of the best games I've ever played, hands down. In my second play through the game I'm running along the coast in my car and am still gobsmacked at the scenery/graphics. I'm better at controlling the vehicle so I can cruise along at a fair clip and just enjoy the view. This is my favourite segment -- especially the Bridge. The first time I saw that I just about fell off my chair. What a wonder.

The detail is extraordinary. Even the little abandoned houses along the way ring true, with their rusty metal roofs and faded paint, stained and missing tiles and obsolete kitchen appliances.
Posted By: Pokey

Re: Stuck in Half Life 2 - 09/30/13 01:54 AM

The segment with the car and the bridge is my favorite part too. You describe it well. The bridge was amazing.

Re: Stuck in Half Life 2 - 09/30/13 05:32 PM

Argh. I've been playing HL and HL 2 concurrently and now I can't start HL because there's some problem with Steam, some authentication issue that wasn't there last time I played 2 days ago How annoying.

Re: Stuck in Half Life 2 - 10/08/13 01:23 AM

Back in, though I have to say I'm finding Half Life abusively hard. I like a challenge, but ONE or maybe TWO tanks would have been fun; one after another after another isn't. Oh well. Now I know.

Re: Stuck in Half Life 2 - 10/08/13 01:48 AM

Sounds diabolical to me luck

Re: Stuck in Half Life 2 - 10/08/13 05:45 AM

Even with a walkthrough I can't work out what I'm supposed to do because about 99% of the time something is shooting at you. No time for tactics.

Re: Stuck in Half Life 2 - 10/21/13 05:12 AM

So...Half Life. Not my favourite game, but HL2? Brilliant!

Re: Stuck in Half Life 2 - 10/21/13 03:07 PM

Awwww, I'm sorry. What are the biggest differences?

Re: Stuck in Half Life 2 - 10/23/13 06:56 PM

My quibbles are mostly game-play related. There wasn't so much of a story as in HL2, and also I thought the pace of combat was just too frenetic. Mostly, though, I thought some of the segments were just ridiculously difficult, which detracted from the game for me. In the end I gave up on the last segment and watched it on YouTube, and I never do that. I just couldn't be bothered to go on.

HL2 was hardly a leisurely romp, but there was more room to breathe and appreciate the scenery.

Re: Stuck in Half Life 2 - 10/23/13 11:26 PM

I hate when that happens wave
© 2024 GameBoomers Community