GB HOMEPAGE

Fallout 3 on Windows 7

Posted By: Rowan

Fallout 3 on Windows 7 - 12/16/13 06:19 PM

On Steam there is a note that Fallout 3 is not optimized for Windows 7. Does this mean it will not work at all or that it may harm your computer? I'd love to play this again but am wondering if anyone else has tried it on Windows 7. I have a Windows 7 laptop.
Posted By: Marian

Re: Fallout 3 on Windows 7 - 12/16/13 06:22 PM

I have Fallout 3 installed on my Windows 7 computer using compatibility mode with Vista Service Pack 1 and running as the administrator, but it does crash from time to time. A friend of mine has tried the same thing on his Windows 7 computer and he can't even get the game to run past the main menu screen.

There are plenty of folks playing this on Windows 7, though, and if you google "Fallout 3 on Windows 7," you will see several suggestions as to how to get the game running properly if you have encountered difficulties (some people don't seem to have any problems at all). wave
Posted By: looney4labs

Re: Fallout 3 on Windows 7 - 12/16/13 07:35 PM

Thanks, Marian wave

Rowan, I don't have it. Good luck luck Let us know how it works for you! puppy
Posted By: Pokey

Re: Fallout 3 on Windows 7 - 12/17/13 12:23 AM

It may crash if you have more than two cores. Here is a fix for that.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1328904

Re: Fallout 3 on Windows 7 - 12/17/13 07:21 PM

Thanks Pokey wave12

Re: Fallout 3 on Windows 7 - 12/17/13 07:31 PM

Thanks, Pokey; we will try this. smile12

Re: Fallout 3 on Windows 7 - 12/17/13 10:30 PM

Thank you all for your input. I have the disc copy but was thinking of repurchasing a steam version because they patch everything. When using a disc version I have to figure out how many patches to apply, in which order, or whether the last patch includes all previous ones. Also where on the computer do you find how many "cores" you have?

Re: Fallout 3 on Windows 7 - 12/18/13 01:26 AM

If you run dxdiag, the number of cores will be on the first page. Mine has 8.

And if you can't find run on Win 7, try this...

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/what-happened-run-command#1TC=windows-7
Posted By: Smiley456

Re: Fallout 3 on Windows 7 - 12/19/13 04:26 PM

Late to the show, but I have no problems with playing Fallout 3 on Win 7 without using compatibility mode or running it as an administrator.

Re: Fallout 3 on Windows 7 - 12/19/13 04:32 PM

Thanks Smiley wave12

Re: Fallout 3 on Windows 7 - 12/19/13 06:49 PM

I installed it from my disc and it wouldn't run. It crashed right at the first screen. Then I couldn't find where it was installed. I looked through every folder that I had and search would also not reveal anything. I uninstalled it. I'm disappointed that I am not one of the lucky ones for whom it works.

Off to look for another game.

Re: Fallout 3 on Windows 7 - 12/19/13 07:42 PM

Awwww Rowan, sorry to hear that wave12

Re: Fallout 3 on Windows 7 - 12/19/13 07:46 PM

Pokey, my friend tried the fix that you linked to and he is now having no crashes or freezes. Many thanks for posting this. happydance12

Re: Fallout 3 on Windows 7 - 12/19/13 09:53 PM

Marian, you're welcome. I had the same problem when I played Thief on my older 2 core processor, so I am familiar with it.
Posted By: Smiley456

Re: Fallout 3 on Windows 7 - 12/20/13 03:34 PM

Originally Posted By: Rowan
I installed it from my disc and it wouldn't run. It crashed right at the first screen. Then I couldn't find where it was installed. I looked through every folder that I had and search would also not reveal anything. I uninstalled it. I'm disappointed that I am not one of the lucky ones for whom it works.

Off to look for another game.

If you picked the "easy" option during the install, then it's in C:\Program Files x86\Bethesda Softworks\Fallout 3.
The reason the game crashes at the first screen is because the game was bundled with the wrong version of Games For Windows Live. But here's the download link for the version that I have. Just don't forget to install the last patch afterwards (1.7) for bug fixes and such.

MediaFire

Note: This is for the Steam free disc version

Re: Fallout 3 on Windows 7 - 12/20/13 04:31 PM

Thanks, Smiley wave12

Re: Fallout 3 on Windows 7 - 12/20/13 07:08 PM

I appreciate everyone's helpfulness. However, since I uninstalled it I will save these suggestions for another try later on. Gameboomers are great. wave12

christmas
Posted By: Karsten

Re: Fallout 3 on Windows 7 - 01/06/14 10:42 PM

Btw, the Eascapist Magazine bears news that Fallout 3 will no longer require Games For Windows Live. Link: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/vie...e-Functionality

And a quote:

Quote:
Games for Windows Live has been dying a slow and agonizing death. The service, which was never really very popular from the start, saw several games abandon it last year before Microsoft finally threw up its hands and said "I give up". With Fallout 3 set to have its GFWL functionality removed, it doesn't leave too many more games that rely on the service. Games that relied on the service as their sole point-of-sale, such as Gears of War and Halo 2, disappeared for sale forever when the service shut down.

Re: Fallout 3 on Windows 7 - 01/06/14 11:21 PM

Thanks Karsten :wave:
© 2024 GameBoomers Community