GB HOMEPAGE

Witcher 2 running from Dragon

Posted By: hagatha

Witcher 2 running from Dragon - 04/06/14 11:29 PM

I remember hating this last time. I've looked at the walkthrough and even a video, but no luck. The closest I got to success was just to keep running but it wasn't enough. You're supposed to duck but the dragon still gets me. You're also maybe supposed to veer into the wide spot and duck, but that does nothing at all. In the wide spot and using the right key to duck has absolutely no effect at all.

Any pointers? THis is getting really annoying and I'd like to get on with the game.
Posted By: Draclvr

Re: Witcher 2 running from Dragon - 04/06/14 11:52 PM

I wish I could remember how I finally got through this part... I know it took me several tries. I can't remember doing any ducking, just running and jumping if I remember right.
Posted By: looney4labs

Re: Witcher 2 running from Dragon - 04/07/14 05:41 AM

I never got that far.....is there a potion that will help?
Posted By: Rowan

Re: Witcher 2 running from Dragon - 04/07/14 01:43 PM

Are you using the Gamebanshee walkthrough? That's what I used and had no problem. Is this the part where there is a covered walkway? This walkthrough then says to hang back a bit under cover until the dragon fire subsides somewhat and then run for it. It's been a while since I played so I don't remember every detail. Hope you make it through soon.
Posted By: oldman

Re: Witcher 2 running from Dragon - 04/07/14 08:24 PM

Originally Posted By: hagatha
I remember hating this last time. I've looked at the walkthrough and even a video, but no luck. The closest I got to success was just to keep running but it wasn't enough. You're supposed to duck but the dragon still gets me. You're also maybe supposed to veer into the wide spot and duck, but that does nothing at all. In the wide spot and using the right key to duck has absolutely no effect at all.

Any pointers? THis is getting really annoying and I'd like to get on with the game.

Do you have the easy setting? You've probably seen this but here is a youtube video.

As a last resort you could use a trainer

Re: Witcher 2 running from Dragon - 04/07/14 10:34 PM

Thanks, Rowan wave

Thanks, Oldman....wave

Re: Witcher 2 running from Dragon - 04/08/14 03:57 AM

Ah, got it. You don't duck into the side bit; the "duck" control makes you run and duck automatically if you hit it at the right time.

I'm just about at the point where I gave up last time.
Posted By: Mad

Re: Witcher 2 running from Dragon - 04/08/14 04:30 AM

Phew !! Sounds reminiscent of escaping that HUGE spider in Witcher 1 scared

Re: Witcher 2 running from Dragon - 04/08/14 05:25 AM

Oh, that was an awful one in Witcher 1! Let us know when you get past the dragon, hagatha!

Re: Witcher 2 running from Dragon - 04/09/14 05:33 PM

Made it. Looking forward to an uninterrupted day of playing today.

Re: Witcher 2 running from Dragon - 04/09/14 05:55 PM

Woo hoo for you! Have fun today...

Re: Witcher 2 running from Dragon - 04/09/14 06:51 PM

Okay, next issue. This is where I finally gave up last time. In the first town after escaping the dungeons, you have to have a fistfight. I can't figure out how to do this. The controls don't work at all, and only once did I see an on-screen command. I hate these segments. They take control of the game away from you, so that the commands you've memorized don't work. Seems artificial to me.

Anyway, how do I get past this?

EDIT: For instance, here Geralt is fighting for his friends' lives, so fists alone wouldn't cut it. He would use magic. He would use his sword. He wouldn't risk everything on a fist fight. So why is this option taken away? Seems like poor role-playing. Fisticuffs are approprate in a bar-room brawl, to win money. Not here.

Re: Witcher 2 running from Dragon - 04/09/14 07:16 PM

Hagatha, I found
Quote:
When the QTE comes up you should just press the button and release. Don't hold the button or tap it multiple times.

Also, forget trying to read the button letters. They always come up in the same layout as on the keyboard (W is high center, S is low center, A is left, D is right), so just react to where the QTE comes up on the screen. It's probably best not to even watch the fight, but simply stay focused on the center of the screen and react to the QTE's. With (very) little practice, you should be able to win fights without taking a single hit.

I found that the "trick" to fighting is to ... sit back from the monitor - looking at the "background" rather than on your character or your opponent. Makes it much easier to see the W, S, A or D when they popup on screen. Don't forget that they popup in the same places each time - A on the left side, W at the top, D to the right and S at the bottom.
at GoG

luck

Re: Witcher 2 running from Dragon - 04/09/14 07:55 PM

The GOG advice is pretty much what I did. Thankfully, that is the only sequence like this one... at least as far as I've gotten in the game.

Re: Witcher 2 running from Dragon - 04/09/14 09:45 PM

Thanks. I find it hard to see the letters when they pop up, but I'm getting somewhere at least.

Re: Witcher 2 running from Dragon - 04/09/14 10:25 PM

Any handy teens around to get watch the letters for you?

Re: Witcher 2 running from Dragon - 04/09/14 11:15 PM

No. Just us old folks around here. But I did finally get through.

Re: Witcher 2 running from Dragon - 04/10/14 12:47 AM

Woohoo, glad you made it! How did you do it? thumbsup

Re: Witcher 2 running from Dragon - 04/10/14 06:33 AM

Just kept trying until I made it.

Boy, this laptop runs hot! I know that's normal for games like this, but anyway I've ordered a cooling pad for it for those long days where I don't want to shut off my game for hours. It cools down fast as soon as I stop playing, but still...this was an outrageously expensive computer, and it has to last a while.

Re: Witcher 2 running from Dragon - 04/10/14 03:34 PM

I was going to suggest that you get one with fans to pull the heat away. That's the problem with high-end laptops - nowhere for the heat to go.

Re: Witcher 2 running from Dragon - 04/10/14 04:33 PM

Hagatha, I have a cooling pad with a double fan for my laptop. The pad has a H-M-L setting as well. I find that some games play hot and others are quite normal.

Re: Witcher 2 running from Dragon - 04/10/14 06:04 PM

I cancelled the order for the cooling pad anyway. I think I need to do more research. In the interim, I'll close the game every couple of hours.

Rowan, this laptop starts out with all its display lights blue, then they change to orange, and then (once only) to red while I play. Are these heat indicators, do you know?

Re: Witcher 2 running from Dragon - 04/10/14 07:13 PM

Is it an Alienware 18? I looked in the User Manual, but didn't find anything.

Re: Witcher 2 running from Dragon - 04/10/14 07:44 PM

That was the problem we had with ours. Had to use a cooling pad underneath it. luck

Re: Witcher 2 running from Dragon - 04/10/14 09:42 PM

Hagatha, the colours have nothing to do with the heat. It is just a gimmicky thing from the Alienware Commander settings. You can set everything to just one colour. Since my laptop is a bright red (just like Sheldon's in Big Bang Theory) my keyboard is set to red lights, too. However, some games seem to alter these settings. When you purchased the laptop you should have had an option to set your initial colour. You can change it or set it to random. I've just left it as getting used to it was enough of a challenge in the beginning.

I have a Targus chill mat and it actually has a triple fan, not double as I stated earlier.

Re: Witcher 2 running from Dragon - 04/10/14 09:46 PM

I've heard those Targus mats with fans are very quiet... is that the case with yours?

Re: Witcher 2 running from Dragon - 04/11/14 12:14 AM

Draclvr, you can hear it when doing quiet activities like writing a document, email, etc. But you don't need the mat for those activities. However, when playing a game the sound of the chill mat gets drowned out by the game sounds. And when wearing a headset you hear nothing from the mat at all.

Re: Witcher 2 running from Dragon - 04/11/14 05:06 AM

I'll check that Targus mat then. I should definitely have one. My last laptop had to have major work because of overheating and the addition of a fan has really helped it.

Edit: Found one for my 18" machine on sale at Amazon, a really good deal, so it's on its way....

Re: Witcher 2 running from Dragon - 04/12/14 04:36 AM

Argh. Tentacle monster thingy. hardwall smashpc grin

Re: Witcher 2 running from Dragon - 04/12/14 05:03 AM

I've been stuck there for a VERY long time, hagatha! I know how to do it and have almost beaten the cursed thing, but have never quite gotten there! I feel your pain... mad Next time I start the game, I'm going to load a different save because I think I don't have enough armor or something.

Re: Witcher 2 running from Dragon - 04/12/14 03:32 PM

That's the hardest fight in the game. Everything after that will be easy.

Re: Witcher 2 running from Dragon - 04/13/14 03:01 AM

I know how to do it, too, but can't get past the first tentacle. I think I'll just go let some more Nekkers spawn and gain more exp points, since I haven't finished that quest. I also have two level-ups to choose, but haven't decided which way to go.

Re: Witcher 2 running from Dragon - 04/13/14 03:19 AM

Have you killed the big spiders yet? I finally got past them and got tons of points. But I think I need more for the tentacles!

Re: Witcher 2 running from Dragon - 04/13/14 03:41 AM

I always have a hard time deciding which level ups to take....

Re: Witcher 2 running from Dragon - 04/13/14 07:14 PM

I have killed the spiders, yes. The first queen was really easy, but the second one used up all of my bombs.

I think for the purpose of the dratted Monster, I'll try selecting various options just before starting the fight and see which ones get me results. I know that I always used a lot of the Alchemy tree, but I also think earlier in the game plain old sword fighting is safest.

Re: Witcher 2 running from Dragon - 04/13/14 07:47 PM

Go get 'em! luck

Re: Witcher 2 running from Dragon - 04/13/14 08:11 PM

The same thing happened to me with the spiders... I used traps to great effect for the 3rd one.

Re: Witcher 2 running from Dragon - 04/14/14 12:03 AM

Well, anyway, I'll give it another go tomorrow. Today was a write-off, what with one thing and another.

Oh, bummer. My new laptop must be a lemon. It freezes whenever I try to watch video on line (like a Youtube game walkthrough) . Dell's "support" (an oxymoron if ever there was one) is clueless, and I can't seem to get help anywhere, so I think the laptop has to go back. I mean, if you can't watch a simple YouTube, what good is the allegedly best laptop video card?

Oops. Turns out it was Chrome not working properly. And when I tried to download Opera, it came bundled with not one but two malware programs. I hope I got them off my computer. Sigh. Back to good old IE, I guess.

Anyway, still haven't beat the danged tentacle monster.
Posted By: maggie57

Re: Witcher 2 running from Dragon - 04/18/14 04:11 AM

I read a large piece on the internet about The Witcher #3, with pictures and all, looks great I think, have no idea of course when it is coming out.

Maggie57
Posted By: Marian

Re: Witcher 2 running from Dragon - 04/18/14 04:39 AM

The latest release date I read for Witcher 3 is February 2015. wave

Re: Witcher 2 running from Dragon - 04/19/14 11:32 PM

Hopefully I'll have beaten that tentacle monster by then... hardwall

Re: Witcher 2 running from Dragon - 04/20/14 02:23 AM

You and me both, hagatha!

Re: Witcher 2 running from Dragon - 04/20/14 07:26 PM

Though, it has to be said that I haven't tried very hard. I looked that thing, got one of its tentacles off, got pounded into the dust, and gave up. Can't imagine why such a difficult fight has to be so early in the game.
© 2024 GameBoomers Community