GB HOMEPAGE

Skyrim...with guns

Posted By: hagatha

Skyrim...with guns - 04/25/14 01:18 AM

Haha. Of course, I mean Fallout 3, which I've never been able to play before. My laptop plays it smooth as silk. Wow. I'm having the best time since Skyrim came out.

It seems huge, so I'm just giving myself level after level of the perk that gives you an extra stat point. I hope that doesn't prove to be my downfall, but I was able to max out Intelligence quickly that way. Somehow I think there will be lots of levelling up to come.
Posted By: Marian

Re: Skyrim...with guns - 04/25/14 02:34 AM

I'm so glad that you are able to play the game now. Have fun! yay
Posted By: Mad

Re: Skyrim...with guns - 04/25/14 02:53 AM

Yeah !! Go, go, go, hagatha !! broccoli

Re: Skyrim...with guns - 04/25/14 05:26 AM

Still, doesn't matter what game I play, I always seem to play the sneaky, lockpicky, computer hacky type.

This is like a cross between Skyrim and Half life 2.
Posted By: Rowan

Re: Skyrim...with guns - 04/25/14 04:18 PM

Hagatha, how is Fallout 3 working on your new laptop? According to Steam this game is not optimized for Windows 7. I loved that game also but never replayed it on my laptop for that reason.

Re: Skyrim...with guns - 04/25/14 05:02 PM

Rowan, I had to use tweaks, but it's running almost perfectly. Every now and then the game freezes, but yesterday I played for about 9 hours without a hitch.

The main tweaks are to play the game in the same resolution as the desktop, and turn off the three autosave options in the game (travel, sleep and area transitions). The latter made a huge difference. I went from frequent freezing to almost none.

If you can get this running on your machine, it is fantastic. Seriously fantastic.

Edit: I'm also running Win 7 on this laptop.
Posted By: Jarkeld

Re: Skyrim...with guns - 04/25/14 05:51 PM

Love Fallout 3 more than New Vegas. The whole exploration option in TES and Fallout really makes me want to explore until I can't explore any further.

Re: Skyrim...with guns - 04/25/14 06:38 PM

I must admit that in these open world games I spend more time exploring than I do completing quests. It's just so much darned FUN going to the next town/dungeon to explore.

So New Vegas isn't an open world? Hm. maybe I won't like it, then.
Posted By: Smiley456

Re: Skyrim...with guns - 04/25/14 06:50 PM

New Vegas is also an open world game, but it can get quite tedious with all the open desert. But the plot/story is way better compared to Fallout 3, while the setting in Fallout 3 is more interesting compared to New Vegas.

But you should definitely give the game a spin and build your own opinion thumbsup

Re: Skyrim...with guns - 04/25/14 09:57 PM

Oh, I will play it - I bought it some time ago, though I had forgotten about it.

In the mean time, I seem to be having freezing problems with Fallout 3 today. Yesterday I had none. Strange.
Posted By: Jarkeld

Re: Skyrim...with guns - 04/26/14 12:08 AM

My main gripe with New Vegas was that I managed to shave quite a bit of time of my journey to New Vegas and it broke several quests in the progress. My brother loves New Vegas.

Re: Skyrim...with guns - 04/26/14 03:54 AM

I'll bear that in mind when I play it.

I suppose one of these days I should get back to finding Dear Old Daddy here in Fallout3.

Re: Skyrim...with guns - 04/29/14 04:38 AM

Holy smoke, this is a good game. My only complaint is that the loop of music that Three Dog plays is too short. It would have been nice if they'd inserted a dozen or two hours of it instead of the same few songs over and over.
Posted By: looney4labs

Re: Skyrim...with guns - 04/29/14 05:21 PM

I'm so glad you are having fun! happydance

Re: Skyrim...with guns - 04/30/14 11:40 PM

Right now I'm cruising around the edges of the world and finding some neat things. Satellite arrays, really nasty monsters. I suppose soon I should actually do some quests, but I love just rambling around in these big Bethesda sandboxes.
Posted By: looney4labs

Re: Skyrim...with guns - 05/01/14 02:57 AM

Just don't get too lost wave

Re: Skyrim...with guns - 05/01/14 05:58 AM

Originally Posted By: looney4labs
Just don't get too lost wave

Heh heh. There's a perk that shows you the location of every place on the map. I don't have it, because I like exploring.

So, this game doesn't play nice with Win 7 but with a couple of tweaks I've managed to play without too much trouble. Definitely worth the effort.
Posted By: Rowan

Re: Skyrim...with guns - 05/01/14 03:47 PM

Fallout 3 is one of my favourites but haven't attempted it on my Windows 7. Right now I am playing Might and Magic X and enjoying it. Maybe I'll try it next unless something new comes out.

Re: Skyrim...with guns - 05/01/14 05:37 PM

Just be prepared to follow the tweaks on the Steam forum. I still get several freezes a day, but they tend to cluster in specific areas, 90% of the time in indoor locations during combat. It isn't bad enough to make me stop playing, that's for sure.

Re: Skyrim...with guns - 05/29/14 05:50 AM

Just as an update. By using the tweaks, especially by editing the .ini file, I've had the game running flawlessly on my Win 7 laptop for weeks. Only one crash in all that time.

And now I get to start Fallout New Vegas for the first time.
Posted By: Draclvr

Re: Skyrim...with guns - 05/29/14 06:13 AM

Ain't life grand?! I'm playing Metro 2033 right now and loving it.

Re: Skyrim...with guns - 05/29/14 04:45 PM

I have about 15 games lined up for playing right now. Life is grand, indeed.
© 2024 GameBoomers Community