GB HOMEPAGE

Wolfenstein the New Order

Posted By: oldman

Wolfenstein the New Order - 05/21/14 08:29 PM

Hi all,

Is anyone familiar with Wolfenstein the New Order? ? I'm not usually into shooters but this one looks pretty good. The cost is a little steep and so I'm holding off but I really like the look of it. I remember playing the old Wolfenstein games years ago and they were pretty basic but this one looks right up there with Far Cry. It's also published by Bathesda of Elder Scrolls fame so it's worth a look.
Posted By: Marian

Re: Wolfenstein the New Order - 05/21/14 08:35 PM

That's interesting; I didn't know there was going to be a new one. I remember the Wolfenstein games from many years ago. wave
Posted By: looney4labs

Re: Wolfenstein the New Order - 05/21/14 09:27 PM

Oldman, the only thing I can shoot is my feet. I hope someone has some experience with it though wave
Posted By: mcc

Re: Wolfenstein the New Order - 05/21/14 11:32 PM

I have received it today, there was a $10 coupon in Amazon if pre-ordered. I will not start it just now though. Since I bought it for PS4 I can trade it in after I play it and save some money this way.

Re: Wolfenstein the New Order - 05/22/14 12:10 AM

Let us know what you think when you get around to playing it wave

Re: Wolfenstein the New Order - 05/22/14 12:59 AM

I certainly will, maybe I can start this weekend. I like the Wolfenstein I played years ago, even when it is a very weird game.

I am playing MM2 that is time consuming and have a lot of gardening to do since finally we (in Michigan) seem to be in spring, summer season is short enough in normal years but, since this winter has been non-forgiving, plants like tomatoes and annuals have to be planted in a hurry if one wants to eat some home grown tomatoes and see any annual flowers grow.

Re: Wolfenstein the New Order - 05/22/14 02:43 AM

I'll bet you do luck

Re: Wolfenstein the New Order - 05/25/14 06:35 PM

I have started, so far so good, at the beginning like a war shooter, the Veil (used in Wolfenstein) has not appeared yet, but I as understand it will.

It has some very unpleasant cut scenes, not for people who cannot stand torture. I dislike it but it is not the kind of thing that would stop playing an otherwise good game and sometimes these scenes are needed for a game to make sense later on.

Re: Wolfenstein the New Order - 05/25/14 08:01 PM

Thanks, Mcc...I'd be one of those people I think wave
Posted By: hagatha

Re: Wolfenstein the New Order - 05/25/14 09:25 PM

I really enjoyed the second Wolfenstein (in fact, I have a game going right now) so I'll probably pick this one up at some point.

Re: Wolfenstein the New Order - 06/07/14 11:45 PM

I finished the game. Very different but despite the unpleasant scenes (not many) very enjoyable. I recommend it, it has many parts adventure-like, looking for things and finding the right pass but mainly a first person shooter. action packed. devilchili

Fights against human and robots, some easy some not so. Not Veil.

Re: Wolfenstein the New Order - 06/08/14 12:06 AM

Glad you enjoyed, Mcc. What's next?

Re: Wolfenstein the New Order - 06/08/14 12:51 AM

Trip to FL to visit family dance

When I come back I'll decide, I want to play Tesla Effect for a different ending. Also I may go for this one on difficult.

Re: Wolfenstein the New Order - 06/08/14 01:00 AM

Have a great trip! wave
Posted By: ipad_Lover

Re: Wolfenstein the New Order - 06/08/14 02:22 PM

I loved the origonal game on the Atari Jaguar, I'm interested in this game as well.

Re: Wolfenstein the New Order - 06/08/14 04:45 PM

Will you be getting it, Ipad_Lover?

Re: Wolfenstein the New Order - 06/09/14 07:52 PM

Hm. Looks like it isn't available in Canada yet? Makes no sense, but I can't seem to find anywhere to buy it.

I mean, you'd think there would be an on-line purchase option, wouldn't you?

Re: Wolfenstein the New Order - 06/09/14 09:22 PM

I think the game is available on Steam - have you tried that? wave
Posted By: Yankee Clipper

Re: Wolfenstein the New Order - 06/10/14 05:56 PM

I'm playing it on PS4 and it's a fine game - a keeper. Some parts are difficult for me because I get lost like I'm blindfolded but persevere my dear. Shooting is fun and abundant and try for headshots. And to think I wasn't going to get it.

Re: Wolfenstein the New Order - 06/10/14 08:16 PM

So glad you are having fun!

Re: Wolfenstein the New Order - 06/20/14 08:38 PM

Ah. Silly me.

Yes, the game IS available on Steam, Marian. Wonder why I thought it wasn't? Creeping old age, I guess.
Posted By: Draclvr

Re: Wolfenstein the New Order - 06/20/14 08:47 PM

My grandson was telling me this download was enormous? Like in the 30 GB range? I'll have to go check on that before I take the plunge.
Posted By: Jarkeld

Re: Wolfenstein the New Order - 06/21/14 04:11 PM

The download is indeed huge. 41 GB-ish?
Posted By: kjos

Re: Wolfenstein the New Order - 06/21/14 06:15 PM

$60.00 for this game I don't think so. Looks like a good game but no.
Richard

Re: Wolfenstein the New Order - 06/21/14 06:55 PM

You know it's funny, when I first started playing computer games back in 1985 ( scared), you had to pay $70.00 for a DOS-based, text-only game on a 5 1/2 inch floppy disk. So for me the price seems okay. But yes, these days new games often cost less than that.

If we wait a few months the price will come down.

But yikes, a 41 GB game would take a while to download, that's for sure. Maybe I'll pick it up at EB games after all. They'll have it soon enough.

Re: Wolfenstein the New Order - 06/21/14 11:59 PM

20 pounds at simplycdkeys.com, that is the version I bought: you get a CD key to input into steam. Then you download for a long while (did an overnight pre-load).
Posted By: kjos

Re: Wolfenstein the New Order - 06/22/14 12:48 PM

What is it in us dollars.
Richard

Re: Wolfenstein the New Order - 06/22/14 01:23 PM

Don't know. Depends on the current exchange rate for your payment provider. As with the previous purchases with them I paid in pounds, not in Euros as with most other stores.
Posted By: ipad_Lover

Re: Wolfenstein the New Order - 06/23/14 02:41 AM

I could not imagine downloading a 41GB game. I guess for consoles at least blue-rays will be in use for a while.

Re: Wolfenstein the New Order - 06/25/14 10:44 PM

Well I went ahead and bought a CD key as well. I tried simplycdkeys but they wouldn't accept my US address so I found another CDkey site that would. I saved $20 which made it more palatable. The download took over 30 hours but it worked and I am now easing in to the game. Have just made it past the initial tutorials in the first Chapter and I think a nearing the end of chapter one.

I like the graphics and it has so much more than previous Wolfenstein games. For me, a combat wimp, it is going to be a challenge and I have it on the easiest level which I think they incidentally call "Wimp Level". All in all I think it will be a welcome change for a while.

Re: Wolfenstein the New Order - 06/25/14 10:46 PM

"Wimp level" I love it rotfl

Re: Wolfenstein the New Order - 06/25/14 10:54 PM

Sounds like a level made just for me!

Re: Wolfenstein the New Order - 06/26/14 09:45 PM

Well the more I get into this game the more I like it. Chapter 2 really gets you into the meat of the storyline and it is an interesting concept to say the least.

A couple of pet peeves:

It takes a while to load the game and reload if you get killed and every time you start the game you have to go through the whole credits thing and there is no shortcut to just go right to the main menu.

Also every time I start up the game tells me that my graphics card may need updating and the card it recommends is for a notebook. I checked and my graphics driver is the latest available yet I still get that message when I start up. It's not a problem just an irritant.

Other than that I'm really liking the game, the story line and especially the graphics. I've only just started Chapter 2 so haven't played enough to really evaluate my opinion of the game but so far I'm glad I bought it.

Re: Wolfenstein the New Order - 06/26/14 10:46 PM

I'm glad you are having fun, Oldman.

I really dislike having to sit through credits. You'd think there'd be a shortcut to skip them. wave

Re: Wolfenstein the New Order - 06/26/14 11:31 PM

We have German relatives staying with us right now. Guenter played a bit of the game with our grandson on the XBox. He found all the dialogue very amusing. He said a German Nazi flag was reversed... games like this are banned in Germany even if the Nazis are the bad guys.

Re: Wolfenstein the New Order - 07/07/14 03:55 PM

I have played both timelines, it is very much the same for both paths. If one plays the second timeline choosing Chapters instead of new one keeps all the perks accumulated and weapon upgrades (not the weapons, these will appear in time), it is in fact equivalent to game +.

It is important to watch, really to listen to, the end of the credits because one can hear a sound that clarifies the ending.
© 2024 GameBoomers Community