GB HOMEPAGE

Pillars of Eternity

Posted By: Rowan

Pillars of Eternity - 03/24/15 07:19 PM

Is anybody interested in this: Pillars of Eternity. It's an RPG similar to old style games such as Baldur's Gate, and made by Obsidian who made Fallout: New Vegas.
Posted By: Mad

Re: Pillars of Eternity - 03/24/15 07:51 PM

The game certainly appeals to me, Rowan, so long as someone will come up with a "God Mode" for it dance
Posted By: looney4labs

Re: Pillars of Eternity - 03/24/15 08:23 PM

Sounds great!
Posted By: Smiley456

Re: Pillars of Eternity - 03/25/15 09:19 PM

This is a game that I'm eagerly anticipating grin I just hope that they get both game play and story to be top notch.
Posted By: Ewil02

Re: Pillars of Eternity - 03/25/15 09:53 PM

Looking forward to it-any game that has a similarity to Baldur's Gate will always get my attention. Pre-ordered on Steam.
Posted By: Debra

Re: Pillars of Eternity - 03/26/15 03:23 AM

I am waiting to see how this one turns out. It looks like the great, old Bioware games. My fingers are crossed that it turns out well and can combine the story and gameplay into something enjoyable.
Posted By: Marian

Re: Pillars of Eternity - 03/26/15 04:15 PM

I just read a couple of reviews of this game and both said that the game was outstanding.

Re: Pillars of Eternity - 03/26/15 05:31 PM

I pre-ordered it yesterday. I will happily be a guinea pig to try it out. Hope it's as good as it sounds.

Re: Pillars of Eternity - 03/26/15 05:51 PM

Originally Posted By: Rowan
I pre-ordered it yesterday. I will happily be a guinea pig to try it out. Hope it's as good as it sounds.

I can't wait to hear what you think about it. I hope you enjoy it. I also read that at least one expansion pack is planned. wave

Re: Pillars of Eternity - 03/26/15 07:48 PM

Sometimes guinea-pig-dom is a good thing bravo

Re: Pillars of Eternity - 03/26/15 08:53 PM

I just bought it from GOG !! yay Be a while before I'll get to playng it - but I'll HAVE it ready laugh

Re: Pillars of Eternity - 03/26/15 08:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Mad
I just bought it from GOG !! yay Be a while before I'll get to playng it - but I'll HAVE it ready laugh

Lovely to have it there waiting for you! I look forward to hearing about it. happydance

Re: Pillars of Eternity - 03/26/15 11:18 PM

Just saw it in my email. Tempting, tempting....

Re: Pillars of Eternity - 03/27/15 04:03 AM

Go on, looney4labs ....

You know you want to !!

Show the same will power for resisting that I did ......

NONE !! evil
Posted By: oldman

Re: Pillars of Eternity - 03/27/15 06:49 PM

Well I downloaded Pillars last night and have played through the beginning couple of quests. I like the graphics and the game play. The game is going to be really good and is pretty much another Baldurs Gate.

As in Baldurs Gate, you have to read most of the dialogue. This was, to me, the biggest disadvantage in playing the Baldurs Gate, Icewind Dale & Neverwinter Nights series as reading text is not one of my strong points. I have to really concentrate to read the smaller fonts in the game so the games with all voice acting appeals to me the most. I will persevere and struggle through it. Not that there isn't voice acting it's just the dialogue from you main character and the companions and a lot of quest dialogue is text.

Anyway it's pretty much like playing a newer and improved Baldurs Gate.

There is also a Walkthrough already at Gamepressure

Re: Pillars of Eternity - 03/27/15 09:48 PM

Yes, it truly is another Baldur's Gate. Anybody who has played Baldur's Gate will automatically feel at home in this game. I agree with Oldman that the text can be a bit too much. Although I have no problem with the font size, I do get bored with reading too much so I just skim through the text and hope I don't miss anything important. I find that your companions give great clues so it is worthwhile listening to their comments.

I haven't quite figured out how to drink potions. Haven't needed them yet but would like to know.

Re: Pillars of Eternity - 03/27/15 10:17 PM

Sounds like a lot of fun. Now if only RL would let me play...

Re: Pillars of Eternity - 03/28/15 08:04 PM

Does anyone know what's the difference between the different Editions (Hero, Champion and Royal)?

Re: Pillars of Eternity - 03/28/15 08:31 PM

I was looking at that myself and it appears you get fringe "extras" in the more expensive versions but I think the actual game itself is the same smile

However I'm sure someone will come along and correct me if I'm giving duff info laugh

Re: Pillars of Eternity - 03/28/15 09:01 PM

Yeah, I noticed that as well. Looks like some of the fringe "extras" hasn't been released yet though.

Re: Pillars of Eternity - 03/29/15 06:53 AM

Well I have a few hours logged in now and am enjoying the game. I'm slowly learning the ins and outs but have a lot of learning to do.

One thing that I'm wondering about is the "stash". It's a chest In your inventory that stores stuff and I guess it is unlimited in the amount of items you can store. However, when I go to sell stuff the stash items are not available that I can tell. There is also no easy way to transfer them to your inventory to make them ready to sell other than drag and drop each item one at a time.

I'm just wondering if there is an easier way to get the stash items sold to merchants.

Re: Pillars of Eternity - 03/29/15 05:13 PM

Oldman, when you are in the "Trade" screen you will see a stash icon on your right. Just click on it and you can access and sell from your stash. To sell from your party members click on the party icon on the right. The party usually comes up by default but you can get back to them if you had switched to the stash. It took me a while to figure that out, too.

Re: Pillars of Eternity - 03/29/15 05:37 PM

Thanks, Rowan wave

luck Oldman puppy

Re: Pillars of Eternity - 03/29/15 09:06 PM

Thanks - that's helpful info !! thumbsup

Re: Pillars of Eternity - 03/29/15 09:44 PM

Thank you Rowan. Once again my denseness has shown through. It seems I am always prone to overlook the obvious. oops slapforehead

Also for anyone who is combat deficient like me, there are cheats for this game. So far I haven't had to use them but I'm sure down the road............?

Re: Pillars of Eternity - 03/29/15 11:31 PM

Just installed the game to have a look and LIKE what I see yay

Then I went looking for the saved game I made but couldn't find it redface

Anyone know where the saves are kept, please ??

Thanks.

Mad smile

Re: Pillars of Eternity - 03/29/15 11:44 PM

According to a poster on the GOG forum, they can be found here:

The saves are located at : C:\USERPROFILE\Saved Games\Pillars of Eternity

Re: Pillars of Eternity - 03/29/15 11:55 PM

Hi Marian smile

Thanks for that but I've already looked there - and in all the other usual places I can think of - but no deal frown

[I'm using Win7 Enterprise 64-bit.]

Cheers.

Mad wave

Re: Pillars of Eternity - 03/29/15 11:59 PM

Hopefully someone else will be able to help you locate them. wave

Re: Pillars of Eternity - 03/30/15 12:16 AM

Hi Marian smile

Thanks for that but I've already looked there - and in all the other usual places I can think of - but no deal frown

[I'm using Win7 Enterprise 64-bit.]

Cheers.

Mad wave

Mad are you sure that you used the correct path? It should be the same on win 7 as it is on win 8 and my path is C/users/(profile name)/Saved Games/Pillars of Eternity. If not there then maybe you should contact their tech support?

Re: Pillars of Eternity - 03/30/15 01:21 AM

Are they hiding in Documents?

Re: Pillars of Eternity - 03/30/15 01:53 AM

I have Windows 7 and my saves are in the same place as Oldman's. Mad, does your game not load from the game menu screen?

Re: Pillars of Eternity - 03/30/15 05:01 AM

Well, I've found where they get stored - a place SO IN SIGHT I should have tripped over it shocked

They are in D:\Saved Games\Pillars of Eternity.

Because I very rarely EVER find saved games in a folder actually called Saved Games I never bother looking for one so I was flabbergasted to find this one !! woozy
Anyway, thank you all for trying to help. You are THE BEST bravo

Cheers.

Mad happydance

EDIT :

Rowan .. I launch the game from the Desktop Icon.
Posted By: Karsten

Re: Pillars of Eternity - 03/30/15 12:49 PM

I've found this very positive review at site called Rampant Coyote, please look here:
http://rampantgames.com/blog/?p=8645

Here's a quote on how he feels about this game:

Quote:
I feel like I am playing Baldur’s Gate III. No joke. It’s that good. So far, at least. And the game interface, while new, feels right at home for anyone who played the Infinity Engine games. The game system is totally new, but still feels familiar to a Dungeons & Dragons veteran. It’s really everything I would have expected if the game had been entitled Baldur’s Gate 3, minus the licensed parts. A long time ago, I talked about making character generation really feel like part of the game, part of the world introduction. Some games have taken the tack of burying the character generation, doling it out in pieces during the introductory segments (I’m looking at you, Bethesda), or just skipping it altogether. But I’ve always maintained the belief that a good character creation sequence can actually enhance the game, providing the player with some fantastic background and back-story while they are tinkering with the little 3D object and pile of stats that will be their surrogate in the fantasy world on the other side of the screen. Pillars of Eternity nails it.

And all other reviews I've read for this game has been as positive as this...

Re: Pillars of Eternity - 03/30/15 05:02 PM

Thanks, Karsten, I agree with him that character generation is a huge part of an RPG wave

Re: Pillars of Eternity - 03/30/15 09:22 PM

Thanks for that link, Karsten grin

Re: Pillars of Eternity - 03/31/15 05:39 PM

I'm working on my stronghold. It's so nice to have my own bed. By upgrading the stronghold one gets extra bonuses to your character when you sleep in the stronghold. I sleep, choose a bonus, and then go out on the wilds again to clean up some mess the world is in.

Re: Pillars of Eternity - 03/31/15 09:56 PM

Sounds like a good routine, Rowan !! laugh
Posted By: Karsten

Re: Pillars of Eternity - 04/05/15 04:05 PM

There's a new patch out for this game, please go here:

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/75170-patch-103-is-live-on-steam/

A quote from BAdler, developer at Obsidian:

Quote:
Hey, everyone. The 1.03 patch is live on Steam. To make sure your game updates you will probably want to completely quit out of the Steam client and jump back in. GOG and Origin will be going through their own QA process before putting the patch live on their end. I expect it will take them a couple of days to run through that process on their side.

Re: Pillars of Eternity - 04/05/15 07:10 PM

Thanks, Karsten, much appreciated! wave

Re: Pillars of Eternity - 04/05/15 07:52 PM

The GOG patch is out and I am installing it now.

Re: Pillars of Eternity - 04/07/15 06:08 AM

Is this patch for the PC Windows version of the game ??

Re: Pillars of Eternity - 04/07/15 09:38 AM

Is this patch for the PC Windows version of the game ??

That would be a yes.

Re: Pillars of Eternity - 04/07/15 10:46 AM

Thank you very much, oldman !! I'd better go get it then laugh

Re: Pillars of Eternity - 04/07/15 05:15 PM

Thanks, Oldman wave
© 2024 GameBoomers Community