GB HOMEPAGE

Red wine sauce

Posted By: Niki

Red wine sauce - 11/03/12 08:43 PM

When I look up a recipe for red wine sauce it doesn`t tell me which red wine to use and as I am not an expert I haven`t a clue which one to buy

anyone help me please smile
Posted By: MaG

Re: Red wine sauce - 11/03/12 08:58 PM

Usually - it is any red wine that you like or able to drink. I would not recommend using the ones labeled cooking wine. They are not really good.

I usually use Cabernet. If I have Pinot Noir, it ends up inside me instead of the pot. lol

Check here or here.
Posted By: Draclvr

Re: Red wine sauce - 11/03/12 09:09 PM

What MaG said... especially the part about a good Pinot Noir usually ending up inside me!

It depends on the end result desired - a sweet red for a bit more of a sweet taste and a dryer wine for less sweetness. Cabernet is also my first choice, but I've found an unoaked Merlot that I really like too. Unfortunately, it's also one that usually ends up inside me!

Re: Red wine sauce - 11/03/12 09:22 PM

thanks Mag and Draclvr smile

I don`t like dry wines so are any that you have mentioned a sweet wine?

will go look at the links now Mag smile
Posted By: Kaki's Sister

Re: Red wine sauce - 11/04/12 10:41 AM

Niki the label on the wine bottle will tell you if it's sweet or dry. For cooking it doesn't have to be expensive.

Re: Red wine sauce - 11/04/12 03:16 PM

My rule of thumb is if I won't drink it, I won't cook with it. This is a pretty good summary of how to choose a cooking wine.

Five Tips for Choosing a Cooking Wine

Re: Red wine sauce - 11/04/12 03:28 PM

oh thanks Gerry, I didn`t know that smile

It has to be a sweet wine so I can drink what I don`t use in the sauce
A dry wine would just get thrown away
Posted By: Sorta Blonde

Re: Red wine sauce - 11/04/12 05:02 PM

I totally agree with Draclvr! Buy the 'good' stuff. My oriental neighbor who was an awesome cook took me shopping for groceries and 'schooled' me on what to buy. She said to buy the most expensive Sake you could afford and the food would be much better. She was so right. Same for any other ingredients. Buy the best. I still have some left in that bottle. I use it for a steak sauce I make. Yummmm.

Re: Red wine sauce - 11/04/12 07:03 PM

I recently used a sweet moscato wine in a dish. I'm normally not a sweet wine fan, but this one was really good.
© 2024 GameBoomers Community