GB HOMEPAGE

getting dogs to take pills

Posted By: family

getting dogs to take pills - 02/07/13 02:45 PM

how do you get a dog to take her pill, we have a hard time getting her to take it.
Posted By: MaG

Re: getting dogs to take pills - 02/07/13 03:14 PM

We have good results using the cheese in a can or peanut butter.
We cover the pills with them.

To get them used to it - we give them those treats without pill first; then we give them the pills covered with the sticky treats.
Immediately follow it with another dose of the treat - this hastens their swallowing of the one prior to it - the one with pills.

Re: getting dogs to take pills - 02/07/13 03:18 PM

thank you very much.
Posted By: MaG

Re: getting dogs to take pills - 02/07/13 03:23 PM

We make it a game or treat and they look forward to it. luck

Re: getting dogs to take pills - 02/07/13 03:54 PM

i am tried of starving her, to take it.
Posted By: Draclvr

Re: getting dogs to take pills - 02/07/13 04:30 PM

We have a dog who - although young - has arthritis in her spine and just had cruciate ligament surgery, so she is on daily pain medications for awhile. There is NO WAY we can push a pill down her throat. So I keep cans of Purina canned dog food around. I take a spoon of dog food out and bury the pill in it. She gets all excited about her treat and gulps it down. Problem solved.
Posted By: my10rugrats

Re: getting dogs to take pills - 02/07/13 04:37 PM

our dogs figured out the peanut butter and cheese trick, so needless to say they would eat around their pill. so now their monthly pill they take i crush on a plate and mix it with some canned dog food for them. they get so excited to here the dog food being opened and i hope they dont suspect a thing. tricky little burgers they are but we do anything to protect our furry ones. we even took our bed down off the frame since it was so high, cause our little one would walk along the side of the bed and we was afraid she wold fall and get hurt badly. so now the box springs and matress reside on the floor
Posted By: looney4labs

Re: getting dogs to take pills - 02/07/13 04:47 PM

Those are all good methods. MaG, thanks for the suggestion of giving them the treat without the pill before and after. That is a fantastic tip!

Another thing that has worked for us is to soak the pills in warm bacon grease. If you use room temperature grease, the dogs can just lick it off, but the warm grease sinks in. Just takes a second to cool off before giving to the dog.

We are blessed in that all our dogs just take the pills I toss into their dry food except Sky won't eat his Trifexis pill which is how I discovered the bacon trick. luck
Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

Re: getting dogs to take pills - 02/07/13 05:04 PM

The peanut butter works well on one dog, the other will lick it clean and spit it out. Rolling it in lunch meat works well for him or if that fails, placing it on the back of his tongue (never never never throw it down their throat because they can aspirate it instead of swallowing it) and then hold his mouth shut. He will swallow it then.

Ana wave
Posted By: flutist

Re: getting dogs to take pills - 02/07/13 05:20 PM

Dogs love canned cat food. Try wrapping the pill in a little bit. A tiny bite won't hurt them.

It is just the opposite with Moxie. I put her pill in a little piece of canned dog food. Works every time.

Don't have any problem with Cory. Bill just puts it in a small piece of canned food and drops it in his bowl. He is a typical Corgi, loves to eat.
Posted By: Darleen03

Re: getting dogs to take pills - 02/07/13 06:20 PM

I started out rolling it in liverwurst....Then they got smart to that, so I wrapped it in roast beef that work for awhile...

Then I used peanut butter...Needless to say I have to switch back constantly to trick them lol
Posted By: Winfrey

Re: getting dogs to take pills - 02/07/13 07:06 PM

pill pockets..we buy them.
pill pockets

Re: getting dogs to take pills - 02/07/13 07:23 PM

we tried those and our dogs turned their nose up at them

Re: getting dogs to take pills - 02/07/13 07:31 PM

Mine too My10! I thought mine were the only ones. I gave them away because they wouldn't even eat them as a treat.

Ana wave

Re: getting dogs to take pills - 02/07/13 07:56 PM

ours either . i have a question, who has ever heard of using hotsauce or cayanne pepper to stop a pup from chewing on things

Re: getting dogs to take pills - 02/07/13 08:04 PM

I do not like using anything that can harm their mucus membranes. I have used lemon oil for outside against skunks and opposums and inside for the dogs. Works well.

Re: getting dogs to take pills - 02/07/13 08:09 PM

i read on a site here in ks that someone was telling another person to use one of those 2 items kind of irratated me
Posted By: looney4labs

Re: getting dogs to take pills - 02/07/13 08:20 PM

I've heard of it but wouldn't do it. There is a safe product that you can spray on things, but the best way is constant supervision so you can train them to chew on the appropriate things. puppy

Re: getting dogs to take pills - 02/08/13 02:51 AM

my10rugrats....No way shame Will I use anything on my animals that will do harm to them...If it harms humans it will do more damage to animals, because they use their nose for everything...

I agree with L4L....They have safe things you can use.....Or disciple, and training is another way....
luck

Re: getting dogs to take pills - 02/08/13 03:13 AM

darleen, it wasn't me going to use it . i read about someone asking about it on a buy, sell and trade sight here in ks

Re: getting dogs to take pills - 02/08/13 03:55 AM

My apologies My10...I miss read your post....

HUGS
Posted By: BeaSong

Re: getting dogs to take pills - 02/08/13 06:50 AM

My Mom has a heck of a time with her dog, and has to mash other stuff around it.
We are lucky with our three. I just drop the pill on top of their dry food, then drop a blob of their wet Beneful food on top of the pill and they gobble it down. They don't even know there is a pill issue going on. rotfl

Re: getting dogs to take pills - 02/08/13 01:37 PM

no need to apologize darleen.
© 2024 GameBoomers Community