GB HOMEPAGE

Dehydrators, veggie "chips"

Posted By: Betty Lou

Dehydrators, veggie "chips" - 03/22/13 04:28 PM

I have been cooking lots of root veggies and their delicious tops lately since adult son (49) moved back in and now think we should look into getting and using a dehydrator and making our own veggie "chips" etc. Has anyone else ever used one? Does it do a good job with root veggies and some fruits? Should I also get one of those "mandoline" slicers to make thin(ner) slices? Do tomatoes 'do' OK? Any and all ideas and suggestions most welcome here. Thanks
Love, Betty Lou
Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

Re: Dehydrators, veggie "chips" - 03/22/13 04:38 PM

I don't have one, but have also considered it. Goods questions BL!

I am a sundried tomatoe addict personally.

Ana wave
Posted By: Homer6

Re: Dehydrators, veggie "chips" - 03/22/13 05:09 PM

We don't dehydrate, so I'm no help. Well we do, but only if we're outside during the summer. wink
Posted By: looney4labs

Re: Dehydrators, veggie "chips" - 03/22/13 05:11 PM

We don't dehydrate either though we have thought of it. I do have a mandolin slicer which I love. luck
Posted By: MaG

Re: Dehydrators, veggie "chips" - 03/22/13 05:14 PM

We use a dehydrator a lot for meat (jerkies). Less for veggies. I use it for herbs though and works very well and fast.
We have tried 3 kinds of dehydrators until we found one that can control temp better and spread it well. Mine must be 15 years old now and can't remember where I got it. I will check.

I use mandolins a lot; we have 3 (his and 2 hers). Tomatoes if firm works okay (not great); soft ones get squished.

Here's what worked well for us: Excalibur 2900ECB 9-Tray Economy Dehydrator, Black

Re: Dehydrators, veggie "chips" - 03/22/13 05:37 PM

thanks MaG! That looks awesome. I did not realise they are so expensive. I will have to shelve the thought. lol

I do however love my spiral slicer, especially for making zucchini pasta.
Posted By: MaG

Re: Dehydrators, veggie "chips" - 03/22/13 05:39 PM

We tried the cheaper kinds before but some (decades ago) can't control heat well or drying uniformly.
I burned a lot of herbs to learn that. lol

Re: Dehydrators, veggie "chips" - 03/22/13 05:46 PM

I am glad you said that because I would have at some point added that to my collection of gadgets and I would hate to spend the money on something that does not work.
Posted By: Lotus777

Re: Dehydrators, veggie "chips" - 03/22/13 06:14 PM

I have a ten tray TSM Harvest which I believe is comparable to the Excalibur but slightly less expense??? I also use mandolins for the lovely thin slices. I hand cut my tomatoes and get some terrific "sun-dried" tomatoes. I do herbs and fruit leathers and also jerky in mine. It is wonderful. I had a Ronco for quite a few years and I will say it lasted a long time. Too long. Little did I realize how much more efficient the larger, more controlled units are!! I just dehydrated bananas in mine. When mushrooms are on sale I stock up on these too as they rehydrate readily. I can't say enough about mine!!! tomato

Re: Dehydrators, veggie "chips" - 03/22/13 06:26 PM

I am not going to read any more of these happy dehydrating stories so I can cease temptation. lol
Posted By: Draclvr

Re: Dehydrators, veggie "chips" - 03/22/13 08:48 PM

What MaG said with the Excalibur. I have used mine for about 9 years now to dehydrate chopped onions, crushed garlic, tomatoes, apples, peppers, potatoes - pretty much "you name it." I'm not exaggerating when I say mine goes for as long as 2 months day and night in the late summer and fall. I've seen the TSM Harvest ones too and they seem to also get pretty good reviews. Like Lotus, I can't say enough about my dehydrator. If you think about getting one, stay away from the cheap round ones where you constantly have to rotate trays because the heat is on the bottom. After my Excalibur, I would never have the old kind again. The other requirement for good dehydrated stuff is a high quality mandolin - USED SAFELY!

Ana, you haven't lived until you've had my dehydrated garlic! And my smoked paprika? It will make you figure out a way to have a raised bed the dogs can get to and buy a dehydrator!

Re: Dehydrators, veggie "chips" - 03/22/13 09:01 PM

Not listening..... nope. wink

Re: Dehydrators, veggie "chips" - 03/22/13 09:03 PM

You're tough, girlfriend!

Re: Dehydrators, veggie "chips" - 03/22/13 09:17 PM

Hubby would be most displeased I am even having this conversation. rotfl
Posted By: Sorta Blonde

Re: Dehydrators, veggie "chips" - 03/22/13 11:38 PM

You can't imagine the vast number of dehydrators I find at thrift stores. Most look brand new. My theory is, the faster I can prepare something, the better it is. I have no patience for crock pots or drying stuff. I guess I live in the fast lane.

Got THREE crock pots when I got married. All 3 went right back to the store. I have been known to threaten bodily harm to good people who want to buy me 1) breadmakers 2)electric pizza cookers 3)electric carving knives 4)electric frying pans 5) do it yourself soda makers (the kind you carbonate yourself with their flavoring and water).

Fast is better and I gladly let someone else do all the preparation all the hard work. My two favorite things in the kitchen are my pressure cooker and my microwave.
Posted By: niteowl07

Re: Dehydrators, veggie "chips" - 03/23/13 12:18 AM

I 'm in with the must haves - a good sharp knife for tomatoes, mandoline for everything else -use mine for everything. nothing beats these for concentrated flavors in soups ,casseroles ,sandwiches (of course with rehydrating ) you name it - one of my best investments !
Posted By: Kaki's Sister

Re: Dehydrators, veggie "chips" - 03/23/13 10:14 AM

I didn't know you could buy a dehydrator. I never saw one in a store.
Posted By: Winfrey

Re: Dehydrators, veggie "chips" - 03/23/13 01:43 PM

Quote:
Ana, you haven't lived until you've had my dehydrated garlic! And my smoked paprika?

You make your own smoked paprika? praise
Is dehydrated garlic as good as fresh?

Re: Dehydrators, veggie "chips" - 03/23/13 03:42 PM

Still ignoring this thread... whistle Ya'll are killing me! lol

Re: Dehydrators, veggie "chips" - 03/23/13 04:20 PM

Winfrey, let's just say my garlic powder and garlic granules are NOTHING like what you get in a store. I grind up the garlic cloves and put in a small food processor with a little dry white wine, preferably a very nice Pinot Grigio. Then I dehydrate it and either grind to a powder or leave as granules to toss into a sauce or to put in a bit of hot water to rehydrate and saute.

Re: Dehydrators, veggie "chips" - 03/23/13 04:58 PM

That's it Drac, I'm moving in!

Re: Dehydrators, veggie "chips" - 03/23/13 05:15 PM

lol. was thinking the same thing....

Re: Dehydrators, veggie "chips" - 03/23/13 05:21 PM

grin
Posted By: niteowl07

Re: Dehydrators, veggie "chips" - 03/23/13 08:47 PM

rotfl you are so not ignoring this ,ana

Re: Dehydrators, veggie "chips" - 03/23/13 09:02 PM

It's hard to ignore it when I get the moderator posts. lol

Re: Dehydrators, veggie "chips" - 03/23/13 09:51 PM

grin

Re: Dehydrators, veggie "chips" - 03/24/13 03:46 AM

I wonder if BettyLou ordered one yet? lol

Re: Dehydrators, veggie "chips" - 03/24/13 04:15 AM

Yes, where is she whom started all of this?? I was trying to be quiet because I didn't want to torture Ana but now I'm thinking...a major move to Drac's sounds pretty good. I could really use some of that garlic in home made spaghetti sauce... wink

Re: Dehydrators, veggie "chips" - 03/24/13 04:20 AM

lol Don't be quiet, it's great hearing what you all are doing with your dehydrators. I can live vicariously through you all right now.

Re: Dehydrators, veggie "chips" - 03/24/13 04:57 AM

I have 10 acres if you all want to set up tents! Might not be too pleasant with the 8 inches of snow we're supposed to get tomorrow. But this year's garlic crop is already up about 6 inches and looking good!

Re: Dehydrators, veggie "chips" - 03/24/13 05:08 AM

Let me know when the snow melts. Can I bring my dogs? grin

Re: Dehydrators, veggie "chips" - 03/24/13 05:39 AM

Of course! My two big dogs will love all your big dogs - plus there are hundreds of acres to hike in behind me!

Re: Dehydrators, veggie "chips" - 03/24/13 02:56 PM

Hundreds of acres to hike.....hold on, we're coming! wave

Re: Dehydrators, veggie "chips" - 03/24/13 05:59 PM

Oh boy ohboy ohboy!!! My two medium dogs are gonna love this!!! puppy I'll bring my dehydrator and my Breville juicer too, lol!!!

Re: Dehydrators, veggie "chips" - 03/24/13 06:28 PM

lol I'll bring my vitamix and spiral slicer.

Re: Dehydrators, veggie "chips" - 03/24/13 06:37 PM

I think I should pick up daughters Newfie and Dane to bring to the party. They wouldn't want to be left out. puppy

Re: Dehydrators, veggie "chips" - 03/24/13 06:41 PM

I'll bring a grill

Re: Dehydrators, veggie "chips" - 03/24/13 06:46 PM

We are going to have a heck of a fun time!

Re: Dehydrators, veggie "chips" - 03/24/13 10:01 PM

If the snow ever stops, I'm ready! We've got every bit of 8 inches on the ground right now and it's not showing signs of letting up any time too soon. Although it might be more fun if the pool was open and there were bushels of tomatoes to eat! I think we have a party!

Re: Dehydrators, veggie "chips" - 03/25/13 02:00 AM

The beauty of snow in the spring is, it doesn't last long. Stay safe Drac!
Posted By: Betty Lou

Re: Dehydrators, veggie "chips" - 03/26/13 04:07 PM

Oh, I'm here - been having router/modem problems and trouble getting on the "air". Tech guy won't be home from southern CA until Wed. and probably too busy to get over here until Thurs or Fri if I'm lucky. Trying to deal with it and not lose my "cool".
I have not yet priced or shopped for that dehydrtr. My friend Janet has offered to lend me hers to test it out and see if I like it. She is not currently using it. I can then look around and will definitely take the above suggested units (list) with me to compare ease of use, dependability and prices and then choose one. Would love to join you all at that "party" at Drac's (Hi Winfrey, how ya doin?) but I do not travel well anymore - just so much more comfortable at home. Will think of y'all working in Drac's "field" of veggies and canning and dehydrating all those delicious veggies (and fruits) and I understand you can purchase thick sliced turkey breast lunchmeat and make turkeyjerky too. YUM!
So glad I started "all this" - what fun!
Love, Betty Lou
© 2024 GameBoomers Community