GB HOMEPAGE

Boston Marathon Scammer Warning

Posted By: looney4labs

Boston Marathon Scammer Warning - 04/17/13 06:20 PM

Sadly, there are those who will seek to illicitly profit from the tragedy in Boston. The the United States Computer Emergency Readiness Team (US-CERT) issued a warning on Their Website today reminding folks who want to help the victims to stay alert.

I wanted to post this here as I know our members are very caring and generous.

Here is the text:
Quote:
Malicious Actors May Take Advantage of Boston Marathon Explosion

Original release date: April 17, 2013

Historically, scammers, spammers, and other malicious actors capitalize on major news events by registering domain names related to the events.
Malicious actors may attempt to exploit the April 15, 2013 explosions at the Boston Marathon in this way. Some may use fake domains to take advantage of those interested in learning more details about the explosions, or target individuals looking to contribute to fundraising efforts.

In addition to fake domains, malicious actors may also create fake social media accounts with similar intent. For example, Twitter account @_BostonMarathon was created shortly after the explosions took place.

The account stated it would donate $1 for each retweet, and was crafted to closely resemble the legitimate Boston Marathon Twitter account (@BostonMarathon). This account has since been suspended by Twitter; however, the likelihood that similar social media accounts will surface remains high.

US-CERT recommends that all persons looking to donate money in support of those affected by the events rely on official fundraising charities.
Exercise caution when clicking on links or interacting with social media accounts that claim to represent the best interests of those involved in this incident. Additionally, when searching for updates on the story, it is safest to go directly to trusted news sources rather than conducting general search engine queries.
Posted By: Lotus777

Re: Boston Marathon Scammer Warning - 04/17/13 06:58 PM

Thank you L4L, so much sobering info.....
Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

Re: Boston Marathon Scammer Warning - 04/17/13 07:25 PM

So sad...I really hope karma works.

Re: Boston Marathon Scammer Warning - 04/17/13 08:13 PM

Me too, Ana, me too!
Posted By: Space Quest Fan

Re: Boston Marathon Scammer Warning - 04/17/13 09:26 PM

This is so sad. frown

Re: Boston Marathon Scammer Warning - 04/17/13 09:59 PM

Yes it is, but it helps to remember all the good people pitching in.
Posted By: Draclvr

Re: Boston Marathon Scammer Warning - 04/17/13 11:58 PM

It never seems to take these idiots long to start preying on others.
Posted By: Kaki's Sister

Re: Boston Marathon Scammer Warning - 04/18/13 10:36 AM

It was mentioned on our local news about these scams. I'll never understand how anyone could take advantage of a a tragedy.
Posted By: GBC

Re: Boston Marathon Scammer Warning - 04/18/13 11:24 AM

It's hard to believe but there are people out there everyday preying on people wanting to help.
Posted By: Haroula

Re: Boston Marathon Scammer Warning - 04/18/13 03:43 PM

I`m speechless frown
Posted By: Gimli

Re: Boston Marathon Scammer Warning - 04/20/13 03:14 PM

How sick is that?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: Sorta Blonde

Re: Boston Marathon Scammer Warning - 04/20/13 04:43 PM

I'm hoping there is some sort of 'fund' set up somewhere to help out all victims, including those whose property was trashed by bullets, bombs and SWAT teams breaking in to look for the suspects. I'm just thinking about all the insurance company reps who will be counting bullet holes. scared
© 2024 GameBoomers Community