GB HOMEPAGE

Mothers' Day Make-Ahead "Danish" Recipe?

Posted By: Mary

Mothers' Day Make-Ahead "Danish" Recipe? - 04/30/13 05:20 PM

My husband and I will be spending Mothers' Day with his mother (92 years old). She has just moved into a small apartment and has just the "basics" that she needs.
I would like to make some kind of freshly baked "Danish" (for want of a better name)for her on Sunday, but it has to be a recipe that I can make ahead of time and bake when we get up there.

Does anyone have a recipe that might work for me? I was thinking of a cheese, or cheese/chocolate pastry, but I'm not sure if I can prepare these ahead of time.
Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

Re: Mothers' Day Make-Ahead "Danish" Recipe? - 04/30/13 07:01 PM

Sorry Mary, I don't have any tried and true recipes for you but I found this one here.

Ana wave

Re: Mothers' Day Make-Ahead "Danish" Recipe? - 04/30/13 07:41 PM

Ana,
I did see that recipe, but the finished product looks like cake "bars" and is made with crescent roll dough. I'm wondering if that would be flaky and buttery enough for a pastry?
I wonder if I can use puff pastry instead?
Posted By: Mad

Re: Mothers' Day Make-Ahead "Danish" Recipe? - 04/30/13 08:48 PM

Would it be possible for you to "part bake" the item and then freeze it until the day ??

I've done that many times with pies and stuff but I've never made any "Danish" so I don't know about those.

It should certainly work with puff pastry though.

Re: Mothers' Day Make-Ahead "Danish" Recipe? - 04/30/13 09:11 PM

I don't know if you can only "partly bake" items and continue baking them another time, especially cakes, breads, etc.

I'm thinking it might be easier for me to just switch plans a bit and make some muffins. Those I KNOW I can make ahead of time and freeze until I need them.
Posted By: Draclvr

Re: Mothers' Day Make-Ahead "Danish" Recipe? - 04/30/13 09:29 PM

You can bake yeast items until just before they are brown and then freeze and finish baking later. But some muffins sounds like the safer bet!
Posted By: Mad

Re: Mothers' Day Make-Ahead "Danish" Recipe? - 04/30/13 09:51 PM

Yes, I've successfully partly baked bread and many types of pastry items then frozen them and later thawed and finished cooking them. But never cakes.

luck with whatever you finally choose to do, Mary thumbsup
© 2024 GameBoomers Community