GB HOMEPAGE

ok gluten free friends

Posted By: my10rugrats

ok gluten free friends - 08/24/13 10:45 PM

i am trying to make zucchini bread for the frist time using rice flour since i have my youngest daughter and a granddaughter having to eat g.f. according to a cook book i have called the joy of cooking i take out 2 tbsp per cup i use. thats what i did. my question is this what you would do or have done
Posted By: looney4labs

Re: ok gluten free friends - 08/24/13 11:03 PM

My10, you generally can't just substitute rice flour for a.p. flour when baking because the gluten is what holds a baked good together, so to speak.
I have substituted GF all purpose flour when making gravy or breading chicken and that is ok. The texture is a bit different but not terribly so.

The King Arthur Site has lots of GF baking recipes. They also sell mixes but you can often get GF Baking Mix or AP Flour in grocery stores these days. Those are not a direct substitute for normal AP flour for baking, but if you use a GF baking recipe, they save you from having to buy a ton of different flours and ingredients to mix to use in place of the flour.

Re: ok gluten free friends - 08/24/13 11:04 PM

ok i hope it turns out edible. if not able to use rice flour when baking what can i get next time

Re: ok gluten free friends - 08/24/13 11:08 PM

My, I linked you a site above....for some reason my first post didn't post it all.

Bob's Red Mill has GF cornbread mix which is very good and also has GF ap flour and GF baking mixes. Most regular recipes will have to be modified for GF. There are lots of good GF recipes available online now though.

Re: ok gluten free friends - 08/24/13 11:09 PM

ok. well this is for tomorrow for a cookout we are having.i wll save that link in my favs for the next time we have something or may get some and try it anyways.
thank you L4L

it smells good and looks good but time will tell LOL
Posted By: Sorta Blonde

Re: ok gluten free friends - 08/24/13 11:22 PM

for those of you who need GF products, Kikkoman Soy Sauce now has a gluten free offering. It's also Preservative free! Made with rice instead of wheat and tastes just the same.

I can't tolerate most of the preservatives in food. It causes an asthma reaction, so just yesterday, I found the Kikkoman GF Soy. Neat! Now I can eat Sushi and egg rolls without using my inhaler. Sodium Benzoate seems to be the big preservative culprit.
Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

Re: ok gluten free friends - 08/24/13 11:41 PM

Sorta, use Bragg's Amino Acids instead. You will be amazed!

Re: ok gluten free friends - 08/24/13 11:44 PM

well took out the bread. smells good and looks good. but can't do any tasting until tomorrow. shucks

Re: ok gluten free friends - 08/25/13 03:25 AM

Good, you'll have to let us know how it came out. luck

Re: ok gluten free friends - 08/26/13 12:31 AM

the bread and cake was a hit and turned out great

Re: ok gluten free friends - 08/26/13 01:36 AM

Yea thumbsup I'm glad it was great bravo

Re: ok gluten free friends - 08/26/13 01:41 AM

so am i . i was sorry worried that they would turn out good .unbleiveable moist too
Posted By: Kaki's Sister

Re: ok gluten free friends - 08/26/13 10:25 AM

L4L thanks for the info. My daughter has celiac disease so the recipes on the King Arthur will be helpful.

Re: ok gluten free friends - 08/26/13 04:59 PM

Gerry, daughter bought a GF cookbook a couple of weeks ago and she says everything she has made has been super. I will ask her for the name. wave

Re: ok gluten free friends - 08/27/13 09:53 AM

Thanks L4L. I would love to get it for my daughter.

Re: ok gluten free friends - 08/28/13 06:06 PM

Ok, daughter said it is The Gluten Free Bible. She has been very happy with it. luck

Re: ok gluten free friends - 08/29/13 09:07 AM

Thanks L4L I will look for it.

Re: ok gluten free friends - 09/11/13 09:53 PM

thought i would let you know that i am going to buy some more rice flour and try it with pumpkin bread now. hubby has pumpkins growning for baking. he has already made up 8 loafs of bread from his pumpkins. will let you know how it does

Re: ok gluten free friends - 09/12/13 04:36 PM

Thanks My, that would be great. It is very helpful to know what works for everyone. luck
© 2024 GameBoomers Community