GB HOMEPAGE

If you could play a musical instrument what would it be?

Posted By: 3dobermans

If you could play a musical instrument what would it be? - 07/12/15 04:38 PM

What instrument would you play if given a choice? And are you really to old to learn? Not really.

I wouldn't mind learning to play drums.
Posted By: Sorta Blonde

Re: If you could play a musical instrument what would it be? - 07/12/15 04:53 PM

Ahh what a great question. I'm sure many of us play or have played something in our lifetimes. I started on Accordian at age 5, graduated to Hammond Organ, then to Alto Saxophone (so I could play in the school bands) at age 10. Then after graduation from college, took up the organ again, and then later started playing a Korg Keyboard. Much easier to transport when I played for weddings, and parties. Sometimes I actually got paid. Wheeee. But if I had to learn something new, I'd probably choose a Marimba. Nice sound and you don't have to blow into it. Ha.
Posted By: Mad

Re: If you could play a musical instrument what would it be? - 07/12/15 05:06 PM

I was a singing and piano teacher for many years and I learned to play (military style) drums too but often wished I had also tried the violin yes

However, having regularly experienced at first hand the excruciating sounds of a youngster learning to play one, I was put off !!

I don't think I could have stood to hear myself making that noise lol
Posted By: RebKean

Re: If you could play a musical instrument what would it be? - 07/12/15 05:14 PM

Drums for sure! I started learning at the age of 15, but didn't get very far due to certain circomstances. But I really love rythm. =)
Posted By: looney4labs

Re: If you could play a musical instrument what would it be? - 07/12/15 05:20 PM

Guitar! But I'm tone deaf and have no sense of rhythm.
Posted By: GuybrushThreepwood

Re: If you could play a musical instrument what would it be? - 07/12/15 06:23 PM

I can't even tune a radio. (I know old joke).

People used to claim that when you died and went to heaven you got a harp. Never understood why they thought that but anyhow I actually would like that, when I can take 100 years to learn to play one note right and still have all eternity to actually learn a song.

Or a dulcimer. You don't hear those much. I used to when I want to Renaissance festivals but its been years. (I always tipped the traveling musicians and then usually bought the CD too).

Posted By: Space Quest Fan

Re: If you could play a musical instrument what would it be? - 07/12/15 06:53 PM

I think it would be pretty neat to be able to play a harp.

Re: If you could play a musical instrument what would it be? - 07/12/15 07:13 PM

Sorta, I started playing the alto sax in 6th grade, but of course the "elders" in my life wanted me to learn violin. Didn't happen.

Mad, check out utube for Karen Briggs; a most fantastic violinist.

Looney, guitar is great; I self taught but found I was not a very good teacher.

Guy and Space, harp is really a neat instrument. I think you can find Harpo Marx on utube and he plays a great harp. Listened to him play "Take Me Out to the Ballgame.

Great and fun answers.

Missed Reb, don't give up if you really want to learn to play. If one really had to "blow off steam" what a great way to do so.
Posted By: Mad

Re: If you could play a musical instrument what would it be? - 07/12/15 07:17 PM

"Mad, check out utube for Karen Briggs; a most fantastic violinist."

I agree !! bravo
Posted By: Winfrey

Re: If you could play a musical instrument what would it be? - 07/12/15 07:38 PM

Mandolin.. never played an instrument unless you count the steering wheel.... penguin
Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

Re: If you could play a musical instrument what would it be? - 07/12/15 07:47 PM

I play guitar. Acoustic guitar has always been favorite single instrument.
Posted By: RebKean

Re: If you could play a musical instrument what would it be? - 07/12/15 07:55 PM

Drums are great, but not very practical though. I can always play drums on the computer. =)

Re: If you could play a musical instrument what would it be? - 07/12/15 08:07 PM

I tried the guitar once. Thought I really wanted to play it. After 2 days of hitting my tender fingers on those strings, I changed my mind! Pain...awful pain in the fingertips. Harp would be great too, I love the sound, but again, your fingers would have to build up calluses and that would take awhile. Nope, I'll just listen to those stringed thingies.
Posted By: copper

Re: If you could play a musical instrument what would it be? - 07/12/15 10:07 PM

The zither- I can't play any musical instrument but if I could, I would love to play the Third Man Theme on the zither.

Plus it would be easier to carry around, I don't think I could manage a harp!

Copper

Re: If you could play a musical instrument what would it be? - 07/13/15 12:01 AM

How about the violin like Lindsey Srirling.
Posted By: GuybrushThreepwood

Re: If you could play a musical instrument what would it be? - 07/13/15 01:31 AM

Wow do I feel dumb, I didn't realize Harpo actually played the harp. Thanks. I did find him on youtube.

Re: If you could play a musical instrument what would it be? - 07/13/15 03:05 AM

Guy, I didn't know either until I saw him on an old I Love Lucy rerun. I think he made it sound really beautiful.
Posted By: Kaki's Sister

Re: If you could play a musical instrument what would it be? - 07/13/15 10:30 AM

The guitar and the piano too.
Posted By: Cari

Re: If you could play a musical instrument what would it be? - 07/13/15 02:04 PM

I love music and play a little classical guitar, very badly. No excuse, my mother was a professional pianist but sadly none of her talent had been passed on to me.

A true story.
At nineteen I was in the army in Germany where I met a shy seventeen year old German girl. After a few dates she invited me home to meet her family. I was a bit wary as I wasn’t in our relationship for the long haul, but what the heck.

I was in for a shock, her home wasn’t quite a mansion but not far off.
Her family were in the gardens so we wandered through the rooms alone. She opened the door to the music room and the grand piano that stood in the middle.
I lifted the lid and fingered the notes.
“Do you play?” she asked.
Now was the chance to impress her. I had painstakingly learnt just three pieces of five bar blues and played one with only two or three mistakes for her.
She was suitably impressed and clapped enthusiastically when I finished.
“Do you play?”
She lowered her head and gave a little nod.
“Come on don’t be shy, lets see what you can do”
She sat at the piano and started to play a Chopin etude, her slim hands flying over the keys like two demented spiders. She finished in complete silence; I needed a moment to lift my shattered ego from the floor.
“I will NEVER EVER do that again”
We laughed and walked arm in arm out to the gardens.
Posted By: looney4labs

Re: If you could play a musical instrument what would it be? - 07/13/15 02:12 PM

Cari, that was a fantastic story. Thanks for sharing wave

Re: If you could play a musical instrument what would it be? - 07/13/15 04:24 PM

Lover that story, Cari! I often thought of memorizing some 'awesome' little bits of music just to play when I am wandering somewhere there might be a piano, (store, restaurant, etc.) Never did though. I can't memorize anything. Give me concepts, procedures, complicated mechanics, anything but memorizing anything word for word or note for note. Strange. I get the 'global' but not the little bits. Oh well.
Posted By: GBC

Re: If you could play a musical instrument what would it be? - 07/14/15 12:24 AM

I would have liked to learn the steel guitar. I love the sound of it.

Re: If you could play a musical instrument what would it be? - 07/14/15 01:55 AM

rotfl Cari.

Re: If you could play a musical instrument what would it be? - 07/14/15 03:57 AM

Cari, thanks for a great story.
© 2024 GameBoomers Community