GB HOMEPAGE

What's your favorite?

Posted By: looney4labs

What's your favorite? - 07/15/15 02:57 PM

The boys are reaching an age where they can play board and card games. I know we all love digital games, but do you play games outside of the digital world?

Favorite family game? Go..............
Posted By: RebKean

Re: What's your favorite? - 07/15/15 03:17 PM

Well, without thinking too much I would have to say Risk and Monopoly. Classics. =)
Posted By: colpet

Re: What's your favorite? - 07/15/15 04:04 PM

Cribbage. It is a tradition now when we go on holiday. I even have a compact travel board for airplane trips.
Posted By: Sorta Blonde

Re: What's your favorite? - 07/15/15 04:10 PM

Uncle Wiggly and Pony Express
Posted By: Haroula

Re: What's your favorite? - 07/15/15 04:43 PM

Uno(great card game) smile
Posted By: Cari

Re: What's your favorite? - 07/15/15 06:47 PM

When I was younger it was chess, I played board two for my county but it became too obsessive and demanded all my free time, so when I married I gave it up, I had a wife and soon after my first child to support. Never picked a chess piece up since.

I thought I was pretty good at monopoly but I have never won against my wife and kids---would you believe it, their all terrible cheats.

Posted By: 3dobermans

Re: What's your favorite? - 07/15/15 08:18 PM

Monopoly though I can never find anyone to play. sad
Posted By: Space Quest Fan

Re: What's your favorite? - 07/15/15 08:58 PM

I love to play Euchre. happydance You only have five cards so it is a game that you can play and socialize at the same time.
Posted By: Mad

Re: What's your favorite? - 07/15/15 11:35 PM

When my children were growing up we played :

Chess, Drafts, Ludo, Cluedo, Monopoly and Snakes & Ladders grin
Posted By: GuybrushThreepwood

Re: What's your favorite? - 07/15/15 11:45 PM

Several times a year I play cards with my parents and either my sister or my brother or both. If 4 of us we play something called "Hand
and Foot". 4 or 5 decks mixed in. Everybody deals two hands of 10 cards, passing one to player on the left and other to player on the right, without looking at the cards. In 5 of us we play "Shanghi" which again uses multiple decks, but everybody draws their own cards, one hand poor round.

Every time we start out having to remember which rules apply to which game.For example: 3s are bad in Hand and Foot but not in the other. Jokers and 2s are wild in H&F but only jokers in the other.
Posted By: Winfrey

Re: What's your favorite? - 07/16/15 03:55 AM

Farkle a dice game...
Posted By: Kaki's Sister

Re: What's your favorite? - 07/16/15 10:09 AM

Scrabble was one of my favorite board games. Still like to play. smile
Posted By: flutist

Re: What's your favorite? - 07/16/15 08:02 PM

Clue. When we get together with our best friends, we play a shortened game (4 hands) of pinochle and follow up with different board games like Catch 22, Fact Or [blip], Trivial Pursuit and others.

Re: What's your favorite? - 07/16/15 09:43 PM

I forgot Trivial Pursuit. That was fun. smile
Posted By: Drmojo

Re: What's your favorite? - 07/16/15 09:57 PM

Candyland and Shoots & ladders!

Doc~ puppy lab
Posted By: connie

Re: What's your favorite? - 07/17/15 12:11 PM

Yahtzee and Rummy
Posted By: Mad

Re: What's your favorite? - 07/17/15 07:33 PM

I'd forgotten about "Yahtzee" !! We played that a lot, too laugh
Posted By: Jenny100

Re: What's your favorite? - 07/17/15 08:05 PM

I used to like card games...
Crazy Eights, Hearts, Double Solitaire, Spit (which does not involve actual spitting)
***Wikipedia page on Spit***

Some of them were best with more than two people, but Double Solitaire and Spit could be played with only two.

Another game I liked was Mille Bornes, which needed a special deck of cards.
In Junior High (now called Middle School) students would play it during the lunch break.

Re: What's your favorite? - 07/17/15 09:02 PM

Wow I had forgot all about Mille Bornes. Does anyone remember the 3M bookshelf games like Mr. President, Acquire, Twizt, and Stocks and Bonds?

Re: What's your favorite? - 07/18/15 03:55 AM

Space, we used to play the bookshelf games, and my mom and I used to play Double Solitaire wave

Re: What's your favorite? - 07/18/15 04:30 AM

I loved those bookshelf games looney. smile
Posted By: Trail_Mystic

Re: What's your favorite? - 07/18/15 04:41 AM

How old are they Looney? Aside from all the usual classics, there are also all the wonderful Pen and Paper RPG games (i.e. Dungeons and Dragons older versions.) I have a couple of contacts that specialize in those types of games. Once I know their ages I can ping them and see if they have any suggestions for younger age groups; it's a great family activity. Quite some time ago the D&D group I used to frequent did a session for member's kids, who were between 6 and 10 years old. It was of course a vastly simplified and mild version, but it was neat to see how engaged they became building/developing their characters and seeing how they performed in gameplay. smile

Here's an example of one I read about online awhile ago:

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/106605/Hero-Kids---Fantasy-RPG

Posted By: Marian

Re: What's your favorite? - 07/18/15 04:46 AM

Nice to see you, Trail. thumbsup

This thread is bringing back some great memories. We used to play Mille Bornes and a card game called Authors. We also enjoyed Mouse Trap, Aggravation, Monopoly, Clue, and Yahtzee.

Re: What's your favorite? - 07/18/15 03:21 PM

Marian,

Authors sure brings back old memories and I remember Mousetrap had a bathtub part. lol

Re: What's your favorite? - 07/18/15 04:01 PM

Trail, they are 6 and 8. The 6 year old can play Batman Love Letters on his own team and last night we discovered that the 8 year old quickly picked up Alien Frontiers. Their dad is trying to be sure that they get the family board game experience in addition to all the digital gaming they do, and I'm trying to be sure the games we play are fun for all wave That game you linked looks perfect.

Posted By: Trail_Mystic

Re: What's your favorite? - 07/18/15 06:07 PM

Sounds good. I'll see if I can dig up any others. From what I've seen those games really engage the kids imaginations and they learn a little math without even knowing it.
Posted By: LadyKestrel

Re: What's your favorite? - 07/19/15 04:30 PM

Monopoly, backgammon, and Scrabble
Posted By: auntiegram

Re: What's your favorite? - 07/19/15 04:39 PM

Pictionary!!!! Ever try to draw an "hallucination"????? lol Also the game of Life!!! My mom use to play Triple Yahtzee.

Re: What's your favorite? - 07/20/15 12:53 AM

I used to like Stratego too.
Posted By: GBC

Re: What's your favorite? - 07/20/15 02:25 PM

Scrabble and Monopoly. I never get tired of playing those.
© 2024 GameBoomers Community