GB HOMEPAGE

Shooting at Oregon’s Umpqua Community College

Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

Shooting at Oregon’s Umpqua Community College - 10/01/15 08:03 PM

My heart goes out to the families and friends of the 13+ killed and 20+ wounded at Oregon’s Umpqua Community College. It's a sad time when we can't even attend school safely.

Ana
Posted By: Space Quest Fan

Re: Shooting at Oregon’s Umpqua Community College - 10/01/15 08:33 PM

The entire world seems upside down sometimes. cry
Posted By: Sorta Blonde

Re: Shooting at Oregon’s Umpqua Community College - 10/01/15 09:44 PM

Makes you afraid to go anywhere anymore. We are not safe, the police are not safe, nobody is safe.
Posted By: Marian

Re: Shooting at Oregon’s Umpqua Community College - 10/01/15 10:01 PM

Terrible news. My daughter's school experienced something similar to this, but thankfully on a smaller scale. At her middle school, one of the students pulled out a gun, aiming for the teacher, missed, and shot a couple of students instead, leaving one permanently partially paralyzed. My daughter heard the screams and saw students jumping out of the windows of the classroom where it occurred. When I went to pick her up from school, there were news cameras all over the place. That was the day for us when school no longer felt safe - and this was in the early 1990s.

My heart goes out to all of those affected by this shooting today.

Re: Shooting at Oregon’s Umpqua Community College - 10/01/15 10:15 PM

My daughter was at Northern Illinois University when 5 were killed at over 20 wounded. This was in 2008. I remember the fear while we waited for news. It becomes more real when it hits so close to home doesn't it Marian?

Ana wave
Posted By: Marian

Re: Shooting at Oregon’s Umpqua Community College - 10/01/15 10:17 PM

It sure does, Ana.
Posted By: Kaki's Sister

Re: Shooting at Oregon’s Umpqua Community College - 10/02/15 11:33 AM

Very scary and very sad. My heart goes out to all those families dealing with this tragedy.
Posted By: Cari

Re: Shooting at Oregon’s Umpqua Community College - 10/02/15 01:41 PM

This atrocity has been covered widely in the UK and again sadly too often. The Presidents phrase “We've become numb to this," is so chilling to hear. The frustration in his voice of being powerless to do anything to even limit the cost in the lives of the innocent is frankly frightening.

Gun control is a sensitive and a very emotive subject in the States and one that nothing I could say would be of any help—rather the opposite.

Please, do what you can to keep yourself and your dear ones safe.

Cari.
Posted By: Geo

Re: Shooting at Oregon’s Umpqua Community College - 10/02/15 02:04 PM

When are we going to get some politicians with some guts that will start doing something about all this instead of the constant talking heads we always get? We need people who will stand up to the NRA and also to put the same rules for selling guns at a gun show as there are for a gun shop. There is No scenario where a citizen needs an assault rifle.
Posted By: Draclvr

Re: Shooting at Oregon’s Umpqua Community College - 10/02/15 02:56 PM

... or hundreds and hundreds of rounds of ammunition. My stomach turns that I must pray for the families of yet another act of gun violence in this country. We have allowed money and the crazies to take charge and run the asylum. I'm a gun owner and the rabid defense of the NRA and their minions makes responsible gun owners look bad.

Re: Shooting at Oregon’s Umpqua Community College - 10/02/15 03:13 PM

In keeping within the guidelines of GameBoomer policy, this is not the place to debate politics or religion or such controversial topics. Please keep your thoughts to those affected by this.

Drac, I totally agree with your sentiments.

Ana wave
Posted By: Geo

Re: Shooting at Oregon’s Umpqua Community College - 10/02/15 08:42 PM

Cant help it, Im mad!
Posted By: GuybrushThreepwood

Re: Shooting at Oregon’s Umpqua Community College - 10/03/15 04:26 AM

All these shootings take place in gun free zones. Criminals do not obey laws. No law could have stopped this.
Posted By: Cari

Re: Shooting at Oregon’s Umpqua Community College - 10/03/15 03:08 PM

It’s difficult not to comment on the above, but as Ana has rightly said, it’s against the rules which we all have to comply with. So I will just say that I really hope a solution can be found because surely these horrible repetitive mass murders of your loved ones cannot be allowed to continue.

Cari,
Posted By: Draclvr

Re: Shooting at Oregon’s Umpqua Community College - 10/03/15 03:39 PM

It's hard for me to not comment on the above either. As a responsible gun owner myself, the whole thing sickens me. But I shall refrain and continue to send my sympathies to the families of those killed in this latest massacre.

Re: Shooting at Oregon’s Umpqua Community College - 10/03/15 03:41 PM

I got plenty to say too, but I too must remain quiet.

Ana
Posted By: Sorta Blonde

Re: Shooting at Oregon’s Umpqua Community College - 10/03/15 04:38 PM

How about that Vet who threw himself in front of the door, was shot 6-7 times protecting his classmates, and he LIVED! How's that for a miracle? Prayers for all involved especially our law enforcement men and women.

Re: Shooting at Oregon’s Umpqua Community College - 10/03/15 04:53 PM

He was a true hero! And he is a single dad. It was his sons 6th birthday on that day. He is truly amazing!
Posted By: Trail_Mystic

Re: Shooting at Oregon’s Umpqua Community College - 10/03/15 05:20 PM

It is terrible and tragic that anyone should precipitate such violence upon their fellow humans. I too have much to say on the obvious and related subject, being a hunter, amateur gunsmith and tournament marksman, but even logic can be influenced by each individual's particular perspective. In this case, I will focus my energies on the hope that a reasonable and level-headed response to the event will prevail and that those who were impacted heal quickly, both physically and emotionally.
© 2024 GameBoomers Community