GB HOMEPAGE

War and Peace.

Posted By: Cari

War and Peace. - 01/03/16 12:19 AM

The first episode of War and Pace will be screened tomorrow in the UK. It took two and a half years to make and a sizable chunk of our TV licence fee too.
Someone once said Tolstoy’s epic was impossible to be put on the screen. It’s been tried of course, quite a few times with very mixed results and I’m trying to be kind.

Below is the trailer.

https://youtu.be/H-BCmUeHE5c
Posted By: Marian

Re: War and Peace. - 01/03/16 12:41 AM

Thanks for the link. I thought that the BBC production of War and Peace, done in the 1970s, I believe, was excellent - the cast included Anthony Hopkins.
Posted By: Space Quest Fan

Re: War and Peace. - 01/03/16 12:46 AM

thanks Cari. The trailer looks good. thumbsup12
Posted By: Kaki's Sister

Re: War and Peace. - 01/03/16 10:45 AM

Thanks Cari. I remember reading it many many years ago. Not only a very long book but a physically large one too! Looks like you are in for a treat!
Posted By: Haroula

Re: War and Peace. - 01/03/16 01:24 PM

Thanks Cari thumbsup12

Re: War and Peace. - 01/03/16 02:14 PM

Better than I managed Gerry, about half way through I gave up. I’ve read Anna Karina though in spite of so many characters popping in and out.
Posted By: oldbroad

Re: War and Peace. - 01/03/16 05:56 PM

I never attempted War and Peace but I loved Anna Karenina. I saw the movie first with Christopher Reeves (I think?) and that made me buy the book.

Yes, Christopher Reeve. Had to go Google it. He caught and kept my interest in the movie.

Re: War and Peace. - 01/04/16 10:21 AM

I read it over a summer in the days before TV. When school was out I loved to read and be out doors! No cell phones or other electronic distractions! Those were the days!

Re: War and Peace. - 01/05/16 06:32 PM

W&P first episode received favourable press reviews over here while my wife rated it as quite good. Not really my cup of tea, a host of pretty girls in pretty dresses surveying the field and a journey from Saint Petersburg to Moscow in a horse and carriage, a trip of over 400 miles that took around five minutes. I baled out after that. The male lead is quite interesting, though the rest have to ante up.
But don’t take it from me, I’m a mere male.
Posted By: manxman

Re: War and Peace. - 01/06/16 04:06 AM

For those interested: "War and Peace will air on A&E, Lifetime, and History Channel in the US as four two-hour episodes, beginning on January 18, 2016." wave

Re: War and Peace. - 01/09/16 12:15 PM

Thanks manxman. My sister saw that too. Great news!

Re: War and Peace. - 01/09/16 12:56 PM

I thought that I should mention that there are some risqué scenes in the following episodes; I don’t think it’s anything to worry most adults but maybe a problem for children watching. In the UK we have a watershed until 9oclock in which no adult material is allowed to be screened.

Cari,
Posted By: Sorta Blonde

Re: War and Peace. - 01/09/16 05:33 PM

I'm looking to War and Peace and Vampires (a new movie) at the theater. Might be interesting to see how close to the original plot it is. Sounds like a fun concept, but hardly a classic. rotfl

Re: War and Peace. - 01/11/16 04:34 PM

W&P—the second episode. Well that’s more like it, I won’t go into details but things are starting to move.

Cari
Posted By: looney4labs

Re: War and Peace. - 01/11/16 04:50 PM

Glad you are enjoying it!
© 2024 GameBoomers Community