GB HOMEPAGE

cat pooping on floor

Posted By: family

cat pooping on floor - 07/20/16 10:37 PM

our cat is pooping on the floor what do we do. cool lab puppy
Posted By: Marian

Re: cat pooping on floor - 07/20/16 11:58 PM

Is your cat an inside cat that uses a litter box? If so, sometimes a cat will do this when his litter box isn't clean enough.

Otherwise, there are lots of reasons a cat can start behaving this way when he didn't before. Sometimes it can be a sign of a medical condition that should be checked out by a vet. My indoor cat started doing this and it turned out that it was a sign of kidney failure. Not trying to scare you, just letting you know my own experience. As I said, there are several different reasons that a cat might start exhibiting this sort of behavior.
Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

Re: cat pooping on floor - 07/21/16 12:31 AM

Here are some additional reasons Family.

Re: cat pooping on floor - 07/21/16 03:42 AM

the cat did use the litter box before, i calling the vet tomorrow to make an appointment, and thank you guys very much.

Re: cat pooping on floor - 07/21/16 03:29 PM

I think it's a good idea for the cat to have a check-up at the vet. Let us know how it goes, and I hope that all will be well. catrub
Posted By: Sorta Blonde

Re: cat pooping on floor - 07/21/16 04:23 PM

Definitely check with the vet. Could be something or nothing. One of my cats who was totally finicky, would NOT use the potty box if the litter was not absolutely SMOOTH. I had to go out every morning and smooth it for her. Then she happily went. I have no idea why the routine. Maybe she just liked the attention. Good luck.

Re: cat pooping on floor - 07/21/16 04:49 PM

thank you guys very much, and i will, it is today at 2:30.
Posted By: looney4labs

Re: cat pooping on floor - 07/21/16 06:19 PM

Some cats don't like it if you change the type of litter, or if the box has been washed with something that left an odor. Some cats dislike boxes with hoods, or if the box is somewhere there is a lot of noise or confusion. There can be many reasons but the best place to start is with the vet. luck

Re: cat pooping on floor - 07/21/16 07:21 PM

OH I just remembered my very first cat would not go potty in public. Thanks for the reminder L4L. I had to put his potty box behind a curtain in the bathroom closet. One day, a friend disturbed him 'in progress' and he went wild. Cats are so strange.

Be sure to let us know, Family how the vet visit goes.

Re: cat pooping on floor - 07/21/16 09:25 PM

we are buying a new litter box, they check her out and everything was fine, they even did a urine test, and rabie shot.
Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

Re: cat pooping on floor - 07/22/16 01:21 AM

I'm glad the vet said she was healthy! luck
Posted By: oldbroad

Re: cat pooping on floor - 07/22/16 01:26 AM

Well, that sounds like good news. Hope she likes the new litter box.

Re: cat pooping on floor - 07/22/16 01:41 AM

Good news, family. Very glad to hear it. wave
Posted By: venus

Re: cat pooping on floor - 07/22/16 02:35 AM

Hope your kitty likes her new box, family! kitty Glad her vet appointment went well.

Sorta, that's funny that your cat got embarrassed to use the litter box in front of people. Kitty version Venus was the same way, though she would use her box in front of people if it was an emergency then run away really quickly like nothing happened. lol

Re: cat pooping on floor - 07/22/16 03:21 AM

my husband used lysol toilet bowl to clean the first litter box, we think that might be the reason she did it, she hasn't use the second litter box yet. cool lab puppy

Re: cat pooping on floor - 07/22/16 04:57 PM

That's a good thought family! Cats hate strong scents. You might need to take her to the new box, sit her in there, push her little hind end down gently and say some praise words. I even take the front paws of my kittens and do a 'digging' motion with them to show them what it's for. Good luck with the new box.
Posted By: Draclvr

Re: cat pooping on floor - 07/22/16 07:21 PM

I agree with Sorta... if a cleaner with a very strong scent was used, make sure the litter box is rinsed and rinsed so the odor doesn't stay there. I wouldn't use it either if it smelled like Lysol!

If you have a small room such as a bathroom where you can close her in overnight with the litter box and some food and water, she might also start to use it then.
Posted By: niteowl07

Re: cat pooping on floor - 07/23/16 12:30 AM

actually , if you use a cat litter such as scoop-away , you don't have the problem of cleaning the new litter box ,so that shouldn't be an issue in future. and i'm sure once all the fuss dies down ,she'll be just fine. patience is key ,and so glad you took her to the vet and got those shots and stuff ! enjoy your cat ! catrub
Posted By: RebKean

Re: cat pooping on floor - 07/24/16 12:50 PM

Great advice from everyone. Just wanted to add a tip that can be useful for everyone with cats.
The tip is that you should have one litterbox per cat + one extra. I have two cats and three boxes.
This is a tip from experts and I don't remember the whole explanation right now, but some cats are more sensitive than others and it makes them feel better to have more choices.
So with one cat it's a good idea to have two litterboxes.

And yes, I did have a problem with one of my cats before I tried this, and it worked for me. thumbsup

Re: cat pooping on floor - 07/24/16 05:27 PM

I think it's wonderful how CATS train us humans! We cater to them and all the time they know what they are doing. Yup, cats are smarter than we are. catrub

Re: cat pooping on floor - 07/24/16 05:52 PM

Dogs have masters, cats have staff. smile
© 2024 GameBoomers Community