GB HOMEPAGE

The Bridge

Posted By: GuybrushThreepwood

The Bridge - 10/12/16 02:29 AM

The Bridge, Danish: Broen; Swedish: Bron is a crime drama involving police from Sweden and Denmark when a body is found on a bridge connecting Copenhagen, Denmark and Malmö, Sweden.

At first the Danish police officer Martin Rohde is happy to let the Swedish officer Sofia Helin, have the case, but then it turns out the body was cut in half and while the top half belongs to a Swedish politician, the bottom half belongs to a Danish prostitute.

The two officers of have different personalities and of course clash. Martin Rohde is married and has several children. He's just had surgery to keep from having more children. Sofia is unmarried, no children. She's not really a people person. She seems to lack empathy.

There are two other subplots which I'm not sure yet how they connect to the main story. In one a man needs a new heart and his wife is mercenary about getting one. The other a family is being evicted from their apartment due to owing back rent. Presumably in later episodes these people will be connected to either the killer or the victims.

Dialogue is apparently a mixture of Danish and Swedish. At one point Martin speaking to Swedish officers has to repeat himself, slower to be understood. Apparently he's speaking Swedish too fast and with a Danish accent. DVDs have English subtitles.

Second and third seasons have different cases and the third a different Danish officer. Netflix has the first two on DVD. Apparently there's going to be a fourth.

An American remake, which I won't bother with is set on a bridge between the US and Mexico.
Posted By: Winfrey

Re: The Bridge - 10/12/16 02:08 PM

The American version is goo GuybrushThreepwood. :-)
Posted By: Pokey

Re: The Bridge - 10/12/16 04:59 PM

Originally Posted By: Winfrey
The American version is goo GuybrushThreepwood. :-)

As is usually the case. Stick with the British, Swedish or Danish version of any movie if available.
Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

Re: The Bridge - 10/12/16 06:16 PM

I think Winfrey meant "good".

Ana wave
Posted By: Draclvr

Re: The Bridge - 10/12/16 07:12 PM

I liked the American remake too, but they didn't renew it.
Posted By: Pokey

Re: The Bridge - 10/12/16 09:22 PM

Originally Posted By: BrownEyedTigre
I think Winfrey meant "good".

Ana wave

Oops, and I thought she was spot on. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I do think that the Europeans do a much better job.
Posted By: Space Quest Fan

Re: The Bridge - 10/12/16 10:36 PM

I loved the Danish version. All three seasons were great. thumbsup
Posted By: Winfrey

Re: The Bridge - 10/13/16 01:33 PM

lol.....yes I meant good....
Posted By: Sorta Blonde

Re: The Bridge - 10/13/16 04:49 PM

I've watched both. Each are pretty good. Weird but good.

Re: The Bridge - 10/14/16 12:54 AM

Three episodes in and another sub plot. Everytime somebody knew is introduced I say to myself "maybe that's the killer". One of these times I'll be right. Now I have to wait for next netflix disc to find out what the morse code message is. Ah just check, its on the way be her Saturday.

Re: The Bridge - 10/14/16 09:10 PM

OH good grief, there's a French/UK version too, "The Tunnel". According to someone at internet movie database they all have the same story in season 1, except the American add an additional plotline,

Re: The Bridge - 10/16/16 05:27 AM

I think this is going to end up like Broadchurch.
Click to reveal..
The killer is related to one of the investigators.
Posted By: looney4labs

Re: The Bridge - 10/16/16 07:43 PM

Seems to be a favorite theme wave

Re: The Bridge - 10/17/16 12:49 AM

According to people posting at the internet movie database its actually not as easy for Danish speaking people and Swedish speaking people to understand each other in the real word. In fact that is a video interview in which Sofia Helin (Swedish) talks about not being able to understand Kim Bodnia (Danish) because he speaks Danish too fast. In a later video they both say they learned over time to understand each other. And they both actually speak English as well. Sofia thinks Saga has aspergers syndrome. Which is apparently what the creator of the series had intended though he never came out and said so to any of the cast. Sofia Helin was told how her character should behave but not why.

Re: The Bridge - 10/28/16 02:00 AM

Just two episodes to go in the first season. And unless their stringing the audience along they finally have a suspect. And it looks like I was probably wrong in my surmise before.

Re: The Bridge - 10/28/16 03:24 PM

It's always fun when they fool you in a clever way...wave

Re: The Bridge - 10/28/16 08:24 PM

I'll see that last two episodes next week then start on second season. The police have their suspect but there are several other people that seem suspicious to me. There's the guy Saga picked up at the bar who now after already having slept with her wants to actually date her. There's the guy who keep showing up at Martin's wife's job supposedly to sell her company software. For awhile I suspected Martin's son. Possible of course those guys are red herrings and maybe will show up in season 2. I think Martin's marriage is in trouble.

Re: The Bridge - 10/28/16 09:24 PM

Gotta have red herrings. wave

Re: The Bridge - 11/04/16 07:55 PM

DVD containing last two episodes supposed to have arrived November 2nd hasn't. Other DVD sent same day did. I reported it lost and asked for a replacement. This has happened couple times before. Sometimes Netflix gets the original disk back shortly after I reported it missing because the envelops are designed so that if customer address is ripped out Netflix's address is there so Post Office returns it to Netflix. Sometimes the lost disk appears in the next day or two and the second disk follows shortly after.

Netflix has gone full circle. When I started DVDs came from Kansas City. Then they opened an office in Omaha. I got the DVDs faster. Now they've apparently closed the Omaha office because DVDs come from KC again, and it takes an extra day.

Re: The Bridge - 11/05/16 12:25 AM

All I can say is that it will be worth the wait Guybrush. thumbsup

Re: The Bridge - 11/09/16 11:07 PM

I just started episode 9 and if the police are right I now know which man is the killer and which is a red herring.

Re: The Bridge - 11/10/16 12:36 AM

Let us know when you are done if you got it wave

Re: The Bridge - 11/10/16 12:41 AM

I'm done, with first series anyway.
Click to reveal..
Poor August, he didn't deserve to die.

There's a behind the scenes video. Sofia says she doesn't understand Saga. She says Saga in some ways is smarter than her but her lack of social understanding is hard to play.

Re: The Bridge - 11/10/16 01:17 AM

It must be hard for someone who is not awkward socially to understand how to play someone who is. wave

Re: The Bridge - 11/10/16 01:51 AM

I thought Saga did an amazing job in this series. Tatiana Maslany is my favorite in Orphan Black but the Saga character was awesome.

Re: The Bridge - 01/07/17 05:32 AM

Just started season 2. I think Saga must be related to Harriet Jones, the late Prime Minister of England in Doctor Who. Harriet Jones introduced herself to every one with "Harriet Jones, Prime Minister" while showing her ID, even Daleks. Saga always introduces herself ""Saga Norén, Länskrim Malmö" (Saga Noren, Malmo County Police) even when answering a phone call from another police officer from her station.

Saga Noren, Lanskrim Malmo (38 times in first season)

Harriet Jones, Prime Minister/Former Prime Minister
Sadly Harriet Jones was "Extermnated" by those Daleks :(

Re: The Bridge - 01/07/17 04:29 PM

Those nasty Daleks. lol

Re: The Bridge - 01/08/17 05:03 AM

I predicted the ending of The Bridge season 2 episode 3. I'm also assuming this ecco-terrorism thing is a blind. Something else is actually going on just like in season 1.

Re: The Bridge - 01/08/17 03:01 PM

Are you enjoying season 2 Guybrush?

Re: The Bridge - 01/08/17 07:10 PM

Yes I am. Wondering why they changed Saga's boyfriend though. I guess if there is a plot reason all find out.

Re: The Bridge - 02/22/17 09:50 PM

I wonder if a future season will deal with the increase in crime in Saga's home town as a result of the government allowing Moslem "refugees" in.

Re: The Bridge - 02/23/17 01:58 AM

Is there a fourth season airing now?

Re: The Bridge - 04/23/17 01:19 AM

Internet Movie dabtabase has a place holder for season 4 episode 1 with a date of January 2018.

Re: The Bridge - 04/23/17 01:32 AM

thanks Guybrush. I heard a rumor that we might get a returning character from season 1 & 2 in season four.

Re: The Bridge - 04/23/17 02:13 AM

I haven't watched for awhile. I'm just now watching season 2 episode 5. Netflix doesn't have season 3 yet.

Re: The Bridge - 04/23/17 02:29 PM

I hope they get season three soon but on the plus side season two is awesome. Enjoy!
Posted By: flotsam

Re: The Bridge - 04/24/17 02:20 AM

Good news about season 4
The British and American remakes are both worth a watch. Different in various ways, which is a good thing, but the same initial premise (the British one is called The Tunnel)

Sorry, just noted the earlier posts on those series.

The Killing is another excellent Scando series that was well remade in America

Re: The Bridge - 04/24/17 01:41 PM

I've seen the remake of The Killing.

I'm actually going to cancel Netflix for awhile after I finish season 2 of The Bridge. I should actually start watching DVDs I've collected over the years but never watched. I've got lots of horror movies, last season of original Hawaii Five O to watch (did the others). All 3 Godfather films. The original The Prisoner series. Adam West Batman. etc.

Re: The Bridge - 04/24/17 09:52 PM

Hi flotsam. I loved The Killing.

I have seen some of the other versions of The Bridge but I am hooked on Saga.
Posted By: flotsam

Re: The Bridge - 04/25/17 05:01 AM

Hi SQF wave
I agree that Saga is certainly the pick of the female leads. She played the awkwardness of the character to perfection

Re: The Bridge - 04/25/17 09:29 PM

That is the way I feel too flotsam. smile

Re: The Bridge - 04/28/17 03:13 AM

I just finished season 2. Wow, what an ending. Only things I got right was what would happen with Saga and her boyfriend and Martin and his wife.

Interesting in the behind the scenes video how all the new cast members are saying how warm and welcoming Sofia Helin is, in contrast to her character.

And Kim Bodnia apparently has a great sense of humor.

Re: The Bridge - 04/28/17 09:47 PM

I'm glad you liked it Guybrush. thumbsup
© 2024 GameBoomers Community