GB HOMEPAGE

Foods you should never reheat and why

Posted By: Donald

Foods you should never reheat and why - 03/26/17 01:11 PM

Foods you should never reheat and why
Posted By: MaG

Re: Foods you should never reheat and why - 03/26/17 02:01 PM

Ah - thanks Donald.

I do NOT agree with that article 100 % - especially cooked rice. Several generations of my family reheat rice.
I think I will snack on reheated baby potatoes and butter. lol
Posted By: niteowl07

Re: Foods you should never reheat and why - 03/26/17 02:17 PM

i'm with you on the rice ,mag ! but it did say something about storing

it at room temp - which i don't think is ever a good idea with leftovers ?

also , my whole family would be dead if it only took a little reheated celery -

they put it in everything ! lol blech

interesting how many things have nitrates , though

Re: Foods you should never reheat and why - 03/26/17 02:23 PM

Surprising is that hotdogs, bacon, sausages, jerkys and ham that are preserved with nitrates/nitrites are not included. wink
Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

Re: Foods you should never reheat and why - 03/26/17 04:02 PM

Well all I can say is I must really be Wonder Woman with a cast iron stomach, because I have done the majority of them all my life! I think whoever wrote this doesn't know proper food prep or storage.

Almost anyone eating chicken soup has eaten reheated celery. Who makes tiny batches for one meal?
Posted By: Draclvr

Re: Foods you should never reheat and why - 03/26/17 04:27 PM

That article is a classic example of "just because it's on the internet, it must be true." This blog makes a much more balanced case for general food safety and debunks most of the claims in the original article. The author below doesn't claim to be an expert or anything, just uses common sense.

Quote:
the article wasn't up to mark on many aspects. It had issues with regards to authority: all the information was copied from another article, and no author was stated. A quick check on Google showed that there were at least ten articles containing the same points floating around in cyberspace, all with no scientific evidence being cited to back up the points

http://makingmum.blogspot.com/2016/03/reheating-food-hazardous-or-hoax.html
Posted By: Space Quest Fan

Re: Foods you should never reheat and why - 03/26/17 04:57 PM

thanks Donald.
Posted By: Sorta Blonde

Re: Foods you should never reheat and why - 03/26/17 05:01 PM

Nitrates and nitrites cause my asthma to flare. I avoid processed meats, etc. Some of the reheating warnings would preclude me from heating ANY of my leftovers. Geez. What about soups with celery and potatoes and all that good veggie stuff?

One I can agree with is rice. All my nutrition training says to eat leftover rice quickly and toss any over 2 days. Some sort of bacteria I think. We used to put 'leftovers' in dishes in the fridge in my Home Ec. classes and monitor them to see what grew on them. Was really interesting (and in some cases GROSS). But was a great experiment and the students loved seeing all the mold and stuff. Lots of pretty colors. scared
Posted By: GuybrushThreepwood

Re: Foods you should never reheat and why - 03/26/17 05:04 PM

Left over rice should be turned into rice pudding.
Posted By: niteowl07

Re: Foods you should never reheat and why - 03/26/17 07:08 PM

rice pudding or stir -fried happydance

Re: Foods you should never reheat and why - 03/26/17 07:09 PM

Sorta, Was the rice washed several times? Did you leave it out at room temp? What kind of rice did you use?

Guybrush - Or fried rice. If you do, always use cold fried rice.
Posted By: Marian

Re: Foods you should never reheat and why - 03/26/17 07:23 PM

Frankly I don't pay much attention to this type of article, although it may prove to be useful for some. What is good for you on one day becomes bad for you several months later, when someone else has been paid to do yet another "study." And oftentimes these findings are contradictory. Mostly I just try to use my common sense. wave
Posted By: Draclvr

Re: Foods you should never reheat and why - 03/26/17 07:46 PM

If you look at the link to the blog I posted, this article was pretty much debunked as just a conglomeration of things on the internet with no scientific basis at all.
Posted By: oldbroad

Re: Foods you should never reheat and why - 03/26/17 08:43 PM

Marian - I agree 100% with what you wrote!
Posted By: Sorta Blonde

Re: Foods you should never reheat and why - 03/26/17 11:08 PM

Ah the rice I speak of is from a restaurant. Always too much for dinner so I save it for the next day and maybe one more. That's it. I dunno the preparation details. I just remember my old teacher's books on cooking saying no rice after 3rd day in fridge.

Re: Foods you should never reheat and why - 03/27/17 02:47 AM

Thanks Sorta.
Posted By: Trail_Mystic

Re: Foods you should never reheat and why - 03/27/17 05:04 AM

I'd have to say this article is complete bunk and a result of modern day paranoia about, well, everything. My grandmothers were masters of the leftover and both lived into their late '90's.
© 2024 GameBoomers Community