GB HOMEPAGE

Wildfires in California

Posted By: catsmom

Wildfires in California - 10/09/17 05:29 PM

Please say prayers for the people in Napa Sonoma counties. I live in Sonoma county. Lots of fires. K-mart applebees the whole strip mall burned down. Many, many homes have burned. Very scary here.
Posted By: looney4labs

Re: Wildfires in California - 10/09/17 05:36 PM

Oh, Goodness, Catsmom, will be praying!
Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

Re: Wildfires in California - 10/09/17 05:36 PM

I was watching it on our news. So sad and scary. Prayers and positive thoughts sent.

Ana
Posted By: Marian

Re: Wildfires in California - 10/09/17 06:51 PM

Prayers and thoughts for all involved.

I lived in Santa Rosa when I was younger, and I remember a terrible fire there when I was a child, where we were asked to evacuate. It was all very scary. I remember the devastation afterward; it was awful.

Posted By: Mad

Re: Wildfires in California - 10/09/17 08:13 PM

Between hurricanes and fires and whatever else, the USA seem to be getting it pretty bad at the moment sad

I send my best to you all hearts
Posted By: soot

Re: Wildfires in California - 10/09/17 09:02 PM

Keeping everyone there in our prayers CatsMom angel

Re: Wildfires in California - 10/09/17 09:45 PM

My roommates friend is in the hospital major burns. took 5 fire fighters to get him in the ambulance. His place is on fire and his dog is still there. My roommate tried to get there but the roads are closed. Restaurants close to where I live have burned and a rest home has evaculated 2 hospitals Kaiser and sutter have been evacuated. yes very scary.my sisters house has ashes you have to dig through. very devastating.

Re: Wildfires in California - 10/09/17 10:48 PM

I am so sorry. This is just horrific. Continued thoughts and prayers. It's a nightmare.

I also lived in Napa for 16 years, so both of these areas are dear to my heart.

Hugs, catsmom. cry
Posted By: 3dobermans

Re: Wildfires in California - 10/10/17 12:14 AM

Prayers for safety for all.
Posted By: MsMercury

Re: Wildfires in California - 10/10/17 12:58 AM

How awful Catsmom. sad Prayers and much love for all affected.

Mary hearts
Posted By: oldbroad

Re: Wildfires in California - 10/10/17 02:06 AM

That's terrible catsmom. Sending hugs and prayers to you and all out there affected.
Posted By: venus

Re: Wildfires in California - 10/10/17 03:49 AM

Catsmom, this is terrible. sad Hope your roommate's friend will be okay, and that his dog got out!! Sorry about your sister's house as well! sad

Sending best thoughts to everyone affected, and hope people are getting out safely. hearts
Posted By: Kaki's Sister

Re: Wildfires in California - 10/10/17 09:18 AM

I saw it on the news too. Stay safe Catsmom. Keeping you all in my prayers.
Posted By: GBC

Re: Wildfires in California - 10/10/17 12:25 PM

Hugs and prayers out to you Catsmom and everyone involved in this horrible situation. catrub
Posted By: connie

Re: Wildfires in California - 10/10/17 12:33 PM

Prayers, Positive Thoughts, and Hugs on the way. hearts
Posted By: Sorta Blonde

Re: Wildfires in California - 10/10/17 04:15 PM

Somehow I missed watching any news yesterday (dentist stuff) but I'm so scared for everyone in these fires. Just as I dozed off I thought I saw a news piece on some homes burning in a neighborhood but fell asleep with the TV on and missed it all.

Prayers for everyone especially you and your sister and close friends and your neighborhood and the entire area! Praying for rain for the area to help the firefighters.

We are here in San Diego and always have horrible fires around this time. I call them 'the fires of October'. Just sitting and waiting for one to start and then it will be catastrophic. Happens almost every year. Rural areas are the hardest hit, but one year the fires got within a mile of my house due to some kids thinking it would be fun to set fire to the vacant lot near the High School. It was very scary for several hours.

Take care and stay SAFE!

Re: Wildfires in California - 10/11/17 07:55 AM

I just learned tonight that my ex-husband's parents' property (where I lived for 3 years many years ago) in Glen Ellen (between Sonoma and Santa Rosa) lost both houses on the property this evening and that it has all burned to the ground. My former brother-in-law and his wife were in residence there. Otherwise, I'm at a loss for words...
Posted By: Winfrey

Re: Wildfires in California - 10/11/17 12:37 PM

Sorry to read all this....can't even imagine.... hope you can stay safe. MY thoughts and prayers are with you all!

Re: Wildfires in California - 10/11/17 02:45 PM

Marian, so sorry to hear that. :( I've been watching it on TV and online and it's just unbelievable. Continued prayers and positive thoughts.

Re: Wildfires in California - 10/11/17 05:40 PM

And now that I've talked to my ex-husband's family this morning, I found out that two more of his relatives had their homes burned to the ground; my son's cousin's house is gone in Glen Ellen, and my former sister-in-law's husband had his property wiped out too. He also had a winery that burned down. They all lived within about a 5-mile radius of one another. It's all way too much to process.

Two more homes of family members have fires approaching as I type this.

Re: Wildfires in California - 10/11/17 06:41 PM

cry

Re: Wildfires in California - 10/11/17 06:50 PM

Marian .... That is SO awful !! I do hope none of the people were hurt ??

Truly devastating. And there are probably many more people suffering in the same way sad
Posted By: Trail_Mystic

Re: Wildfires in California - 10/11/17 06:50 PM

Keeping the people impacted by this in our thoughts.

Marian, I'm so very sorry for your family's loss. We spent time in Sonoma and are familiar with the Glen Ellen area. What a terrible tragedy to happen to the people and that beautiful land.
Posted By: 3dobermans

Re: Wildfires in California - 10/11/17 06:59 PM

Prayers for all those impacted by this disaster.
Do they know what started the fires?

Re: Wildfires in California - 10/11/17 07:21 PM

No one has been hurt, thankfully. My son's uncle, one of those who lost their homes, is a volunteer firefighter and is out there firefighting right now.

Trail, it is indeed a beautiful area. It's surreal, all of it...because not only was that my family/home for several years, but I grew up in Santa Rosa and am watching that devastation too. One of the hardest-hit areas in Santa Rosa was where I graduated and the school next to mine by the name of Cardinal Newman, half of it burned down. I had classes with students from Cardinal Newman.

What I have read so far, Trippy, is that they think it's either downed power lines, arson, or both. If the latter is what it turns out to be, I can't think of a punishment that's bad enough. Well, actually I can, but it isn't repeatable on GameBoomers.

I am still waiting to hear news of my daughter's best friend in childhood, as to whether or not her parents' house off the Silverado area in Napa is still there. The fire apparently went right through their street, Mount George Avenue in Napa, and some houses were burned and others were not. Her father treated me in the emergency room when I lived in Napa.

It's like watching a very large chunk of my life go up in flames. Very difficult to see and to comprehend.

Re: Wildfires in California - 10/11/17 07:29 PM

So horrible and frightening, Marian. i am so sorry. I can't imagine losing not only my home, but thinking that more of my family also lost theirs.
Posted By: Space Quest Fan

Re: Wildfires in California - 10/11/17 08:52 PM

This is so scary. My prayers go out to everyone. hearts

Re: Wildfires in California - 10/11/17 09:09 PM

So sorry Marian for all your friend's and relative's losses. I can't imagine how awful and devastating it is for everyone. cry

Re: Wildfires in California - 10/11/17 09:33 PM

Aww Marian, I'm so sorry for the losses suffered. How awful. sad Like everyone else, I just can't imagine. Prayers and much love to all.

Mary hearts

Re: Wildfires in California - 10/12/17 01:36 AM

That is awful Marian. I cannot imagine what this must be like for the residents there. More prayers being sent! I sincerely hope this is not the work of an arsonist!!

Re: Wildfires in California - 10/12/17 04:23 AM

Thank you, everyone. I appreciate all of the kind words. hearts

Re: Wildfires in California - 10/12/17 12:42 PM

Marian, I also feel terrible for your family, Big Hugs on the way. hearts
Posted By: family

Re: Wildfires in California - 10/12/17 10:33 PM

prayers and much love to all .
Posted By: Jenny100

Re: Wildfires in California - 10/12/17 11:09 PM

I'm so sorry to hear of your and your family's loss, Marian.
These fires are really terrible.

Re: Wildfires in California - 10/13/17 12:33 AM

Thank you, everyone. It sounds like the winds are going to be picking up in that area again over the weekend, which is bad news for any possibility of starting to contain them.
Posted By: Reenie

Re: Wildfires in California - 10/23/17 12:44 AM

Thought I'd chime in with some good news, finally. I don't live in the direct path of the fires, so we were never in any danger, but were on the periphery, where we choked on the smoke and heard the ceaseless roar of passing fire engines for days. Things have quieted down considerably.

Most of the fires are contained now, some by as much as 80%. The dreadful air quality that necessitated the wearing of serious environmental masks has drastically improved, and we aren't coughing as much. We got a spot of rain yesterday! Gave the fire fighters a much needed boost.

We get daily bulletins now instead of hourly, the evacuation orders have ceased and some areas, like the town of Calistoga, have allowed residents to come back. Others still are awaiting clearance of dangerously burned trees and downed power poles and lines before they will be allowed access. Some of the regional aid fire fighting teams have gone home, and mopping up continues with local teams. The worst, it seems, is over.

Still, the toll is horrendous. Almost 30% of the Sonoma Valley was burned to the ground! This includes something like 6000 structures, many people lost their lives and others were badly burned during their escape. Livestock and pets were burned as well. Fire fighters said the fire came through one area as a "flashover," and literally burned animals where they stood. They found charred black statues they recognized as sheep, goats and others. Impossible to contemplate something that horrific. Property damage estimates are over one Billion dollars at this point.

What saves everyone from totally being devastated by grief is the continuing recitation of stories of heroic actions, courage in the face of the unimaginable, survival stories against impossible odds, and people as well as businesses opening their doors, their hearts and their pocketbooks to those who have been hurt most. People are at their best under these extreme circumstances.

Re: Wildfires in California - 10/23/17 01:04 AM

Speaking of heroics, there is a Gofundme page here. It's really heartwarming to see how his community has responded.

This is my ex brother-in-law's son, making him my son's cousin. I was living on one of the properties that got burned to the ground when I was married, and my husband and his brother (Jesse's father) were living there as well. I was there the day that Jesse was born, and his house that burned down was there as well.

Re: Wildfires in California - 10/23/17 02:15 AM

Glad you are ok Reenie.

My son was in Santa Rosa at one of the wildlife rescue camps and people camps that were evacuated with a friend helping out on Monday. It was definitely eye opening for them.

Marian, bless your sons cousin. So much goodness comes to light in situations like these.

Ana wave

Re: Wildfires in California - 10/23/17 09:13 PM

Thanks for the updates Reenie and Marian. Glad to hear there is some light showing through the darkness.

Re: Wildfires in California - 10/25/17 03:40 AM

My Friend Marilyn was killed in her mobile home. She was a very hard sleeper, and they found her inside of her bed frame. Please say prayers for her that the smoke got to her before the flames. I feel so sad :(

Re: Wildfires in California - 10/25/17 03:48 AM

Sorry to read this catsmom, very sad indeed!!

Re: Wildfires in California - 10/25/17 04:09 AM

I am so very sorry, catsmom. Praying that she didn't suffer.

Re: Wildfires in California - 10/25/17 06:37 AM

Aw catsmom. That is terrible. I also pray she didn't suffer. So sorry!
Posted By: Kaki's Sister

Re: Wildfires in California - 10/25/17 09:21 AM

Catsmom so sorry to hear about your friend Marilyn.

Re: Wildfires in California - 10/25/17 12:46 PM

Oh, my goodness, catsmom. That is so very sad. I send my sincere condolences hearts

Re: Wildfires in California - 10/25/17 01:17 PM

I'm very sorry catsmom, prayers on the way. angel
Posted By: Midge

Re: Wildfires in California - 10/25/17 01:46 PM

After reading about all the devastation, I'm speechless. I'm sending my prayers to all that are involved in the fires. I have a sister and daughter living in California but they are far away from the fires. But I still keep a close eye on the news.

Midgie hearts wavegirl

Re: Wildfires in California - 10/25/17 03:19 PM

Catsmom, I am so deeply sorry to hear this news.
Posted By: looney4labs

Re: Wildfires in California - 10/25/17 03:23 PM

Oh, Catsmom, I am so very sorry.

Re: Wildfires in California - 10/25/17 04:12 PM

So so sorry that you lost a friend in such a terrible way. Prayers for everyone affected by the fires.

Re: Wildfires in California - 10/27/17 10:43 PM

Thanks everyone, I am still in shock over it. She was just so nice,. :(

Re: Wildfires in California - 10/30/17 02:13 AM

Awww Catsmom, how very sad sad I'm so sorry. Hugs hearts
© 2024 GameBoomers Community