GB HOMEPAGE

If your planning on driving in Lincoln, Nebraska

Posted By: GuybrushThreepwood

If your planning on driving in Lincoln, Nebraska - 11/04/17 10:09 PM

Before you hit the road check that the GPS is not trying to lead you past Memorial Stadium, during a Cornhusker football game. Stupid app, what do you mean "no event on route"? The roads around the stadium are closed! I'm sure there's a different route to this store outside Lincoln, but I'm too aggravated to bother today. Try again some other time.

I wonder does GPS tell people in Kansas City during baseball season there is "no event on the route" when the Royals are playing?
Posted By: soot

Re: If your planning on driving in Lincoln, Nebraska - 11/04/17 11:07 PM

That would be really good feedback GBTW to the app developers yes
Posted By: Trail_Mystic

Re: If your planning on driving in Lincoln, Nebraska - 11/04/17 11:38 PM

What app/platform are you using Guybrush?
Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

Re: If your planning on driving in Lincoln, Nebraska - 11/05/17 01:41 AM

Guybrush. Install Waze. Best guidance system ever! It tells you where every pothole, police, accident, traffic jam, etc is in real time and will get you around it even if it means going down roads you never knew existed. I've driven cross country with it, and use it daily for my rounds to client houses. It's spot on every time!
Posted By: soot

Re: If your planning on driving in Lincoln, Nebraska - 11/05/17 05:36 PM

Yes, Waze is the app to use GuyBrush. I think Google Maps (directions) uses Waze as it's underlying tech.

wave2

Re: If your planning on driving in Lincoln, Nebraska - 11/05/17 08:38 PM

Originally Posted By: soot
Yes, Waze is the app to use GuyBrush. I think Google Maps (directions) uses Waze as it's underlying tech.

wave2

Google bought out Waze and integrated the social portion into the Google Maps platform. The info just materializes on the interface in a different manner. Waze is of course still available, the interface and social element is preferred by some over that of Google Maps. They both offer similar information, Google Maps is just more tightly integrated into the Google Suite.

Re: If your planning on driving in Lincoln, Nebraska - 11/05/17 09:34 PM

It was Waze that did that too me.
Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

Re: If your planning on driving in Lincoln, Nebraska - 11/06/17 12:31 AM

Guybrush, Waze goes by user data reports which make it very accurate for me. I guess you don't have a lot of interactive users there that report closures etc. We do.

Re: If your planning on driving in Lincoln, Nebraska - 11/06/17 07:33 PM

The authors of GPS apps need to include sporting events. I couldn't stop in the middle of the road and enter the data.

Re: If your planning on driving in Lincoln, Nebraska - 11/06/17 09:57 PM

I feel your pain Guybrush. I commute about an hour to and from work each day and find any traffic information that pops up on my phone invaluable.

Google uses a combination of predictive modeling and social input to try and anticipate issues. The problem is that if the information for a sporting event hasn't made it to the "feed" that goes into the gazillion data points per second that are calculated, then it might not show up.

I've been stuck in a traffic jam that was outside of the CCTV camera's range that line our highways for almost an hour and then see the notification pop up on my phone after I've already passed the issue. I kind of found it humorous that 30 seconds after I'm up to speed my notification blurts out, "There's a slow down on Hwy 41, expect delays." Gee, really? lol

Re: If your planning on driving in Lincoln, Nebraska - 11/07/17 01:37 AM

On a road trip with my parents and sister the gps would warn of police on the interstate 10 seconds after we passed them.
© 2024 GameBoomers Community